Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
BoJack is responsible for his own actions.

Because what you've said is summarised by this:

Bifauxnen posted:

... the status quo where any time a cool male antihero starts to get questioned to bring up some accountability, people sidetrack into yelling about how some other thing a woman did makes her way more of a megabitch.

BoJack wanted to do the stunt. PC told him not to. That's why he was injured. How is it that she simultaneously has control of him to do the show and yet does not have the control to stop him being stupid and doing a stunt that injures him? (It's because BoJack is responsible for his own actions.)

The consequences to PC aren't as explicit, but enabling BoJack damages every part of her life. It's only as she pulls away from him do we see her life getting better. She's intelligent, resilient, resourceful, and has a can-do attitude, and has been dragged down for years by the weight that is BoJack Horseman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One thing I noticed in my rewatch is that I think they had the idea for the finale in the can for years. There isn't much of "the View from Halfway Down" that isn't set up by the end of season 2.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/bojack-horseman-the-view-from-halfway-down-oral-history.html

quote:

Bob-Waksberg: I don’t want to say it was planned from the beginning of the series, but certainly when we were thinking, “What is causing BoJack to go into this place?,” we knew that he was relapsing and drinking and doing drugs again. It felt like, “Oh yeah, he could just pass out on the couch … or it could be in the pool. Let’s go that way. That is much more resonant.” In the credits, but also throughout the series, there have been so many references to swimming and drowning. It felt like a nice pay-off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The pool being such. Major part of the opening credits, and the credits themselves being part of the show and staying engaging after 6 seasons was impressive on its own.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

The pool being such. Major part of the opening credits, and the credits themselves being part of the show and staying engaging after 6 seasons was impressive on its own.

I think BoJack might have the best opening credits sequence in TV history. I can’t think of any other show where I’d actually pay attention to them every episode.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bojack is a tragic figure, whose tragic flaw is his desperate need for constant validation from others; as an actor, as a celebrity, as attractive and as a cool/fun person. Everything bad he does is in service of feeding the fleeting high of feeling good about himself.

Mr PB is the antithesis of all of this: he is utterly at peace with himself and although he likes being around other people, he is ultimately not dependent on them.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
More like bareback horseman, amirite?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Mr PB is the antithesis of all of this: he is utterly at peace with himself and although he likes being around other people, he is ultimately not dependent on them.

I never really viewed him this way. He's way more functional that Bojack, but I also see him as a bottomless pit of need in his own way. He strikes me as a love addict, the kind of person who needs constant affirmation in the form of huge romantic gestures and intense declarations of love to feel valued. His relationships have a pattern of intense love-bombing followed by burnout followed by existential despair. It's unsustainable, and there's a reason he's been married 4 (?) times by the end of the series.

Diane calls this out a few times, where the hugeness of MPB's overtures seem more about his need to feel Big Emotions than giving her something she wants or needs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr pb seems close to happyness because he finds it but it's self destructive and no better than BoJacks fleeting happyness from drugs. In the end the only person closer to real happily ever after ending is Diane, she actually dealt with her problem and got on meds.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Mr. Peanutbutter is an old dog, but he's not abusive or self destructive. He'd be fine in a string of serial monogamous relationships with 20 somethings until he dies if he's up front about it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

He's also getting therapy in the end. "Is my problem with women any movie directed by Christopher Nolan? Because yes, women are involved, but it's never really about the women."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I just finished the last season and now I'm kinda sad, because there's really nothing else I want to watch that's nearly as good and all my other favorite shows on Netflix are getting cancelled. It's kind of rare to find a show that's so consistent in quality, where all the characters grow in their own way without becoming urkelized parodies of themselves or continuing to make mind-numbingly irrational decisions from week to week. I felt Holly-hock's absence in the final two episodes to hit the hardest, since that was a relationship you got to see Bojack develop and destroy over the course of three full seasons. Painful. Very satisfied with how everything resolved -- a lot of successful shows continue way past their sell-by date but Bojack Horseman picked the perfect moment to let go.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

On my rewatch, I'm shocked that Jelly the P.A. was a one-time gag and not something Mr. Peanutbutter pursued out of a sense of serendipity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

On my rewatch, I'm shocked that Jelly the P.A. was a one-time gag and not something Mr. Peanutbutter pursued out of a sense of serendipity.

She's still around later.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
crossposting from the adult animation thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrCEamNs6s

edit: also saw this animatic in the related vids, it's from last year tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XQVSWhANiA

Megera fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 19, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

Definitely. I loved the hell out of season 5 thanks to some odd personal circumstances. I watched the whole Bojack series shortly after leaving a somewhat toxic roleplaying group.

In our campaign there was a problematic storyline about a main NPC villain. He was a colonialist tyrannical ruler who did a lot of really bad things, including torturing my character at one point until she agreed to work for him. It was kind of upsetting but at the time, I rolled with it and reached an ok stopping point with that character. Then I made a new one to change things up and get some fresh air.

But then the campaign proceeded to go on this whole redemption arc for the villain, sweeping what had happened before to my character (and others) under the rug like it was totally unimportant, and the campaign end where his faction achieved some victory was presented as a happy ending. That part was really upsetting.

It hosed with my head for months. Not that bad poo poo happened to my character in the story, but how the real people I was playing with and thought I was friends with reacted to the portrayal of everything. How they seemed to agree with everything he did being just fine, because I couldn't properly raise my issues without the loudest players (who'd been supporting the villain) getting real defensive, like I was criticising them personally by criticising what their characters did. I haven't watched Breaking Bad but from reading a lot of comparisons in here, it sounds like a bit of a "fanboys flipping the gently caress out whenever Skyler dares to ever question Walt White" situation.

I ended up feeling alienated from the whole group, thanks to how they seemed to enable things while still touting the group as a really progressive and supportive place.

So for me, taking the time to focus on how Bojack is presented by the series felt really important and gratifying, and worth the relapse arc. It felt different enough from season 3 because it wasn't just about Bojack repeating the same cycles. It was also about wrestling with the whole idea of redeeming or glamourising a "badguy", and the lines between fictional stories and real-life attitudes when people identify with them.

It helped me sort out a lot of really confusing feelings that were hard to talk about or explain to anyone, and gave me some examples to point to, and talk through my weird issues with a fellow Bojack fan.

This show is really good, y'all.

Same, I binged season 5 the minute it came out because hurricane florence was gonna flood my house a few hours later and I knew I wasn't gonna have power. It was a race to the very end.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Megera posted:

crossposting from the adult animation thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrCEamNs6s

Something seemed slightly off with the sound design in that clip when all the people were talking outside of the bus. Still, I loved the humor and visuals, and am glad its back.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
The intense dislike of Diane in this thread is a reflection of the deep-seated anti-Asian sentiment in our society. It's like Skylar from Breaking Bad all over again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know it seemed weird at the time but, like, I’m genuinely conflicted about returning to this and accepting Alison Brie as a Vietnamese woman. That part of the show already feels dated to me.

I also don’t know that I would ever WANT to rewatch Bojack. I’ve watched S1 5 times, S2 4 times, S3 3 times etc... I’m really not sure where I’d be in my life that I’d want a full rewatch, short of maybe wanting to share this show with a future partner who missed it. It’s a masterpiece encapsulation of Hollywood sexual psychosis and drug anxiety and the endless ouroboros of healing and hating yourself and probably the actual pound for pound funniest thing I’ve ever watched... but I think of the show more like a friend I loved that is now dead rather than a piece of media I will revisit often, like the first couple seasons of Arrested Development or Parks & Rec that’s I’ve watched maybe dozens of times.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What “deep dislike of Diane”? There’s people annoyed by things she does because she does annoying poo poo. It’s a show where there’s plenty of negative things to say about all the characters; and people say them. They say positive stuff too! Funny how that works when it’s a show about complicated relationships.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, this thread had some person argue that Diane was just as bad as BoJack, so while I dunno that the overall sentiment is "deep dislike", some people definitely were weird about her.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I definitely remember someone saying Diane was exactly as bad as Bojack, but I might just be thinking of the scene where Bojack says that.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I definitely remember someone saying Diane was exactly as bad as Bojack, but I might just be thinking of the scene where Bojack says that.

We had someone say Diane was worse than BoJack in this thread.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Diane's got her own problems but that's because she's an actual three dimensional character.

lol at the idea that she's anywhere NEAR as bad as Bojack though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diane does truly reprehensible things a couple of times with absolutely zero empathy for the other people she’s hurting but Diane at her absolute worst and most disgusting in the show isn’t really even on the same scale/gradient as Bojack’s litany of assaults, sexual or otherwise.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'd say the absolute worst she gets is about on par with bojack screwing with the rock opera - very bad, yes, but barely a footnote when compared to how bad the rest gets

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it seemed weird at the time but, like, I’m genuinely conflicted about returning to this and accepting Alison Brie as a Vietnamese woman. That part of the show already feels dated to me.

I 100% agree with this, but it's done, and it's a product of the time, nothing really to be done about it now

Bust Rodd posted:

I also don’t know that I would ever WANT to rewatch Bojack. I’ve watched S1 5 times, S2 4 times, S3 3 times etc... I’m really not sure where I’d be in my life that I’d want a full rewatch, short of maybe wanting to share this show with a future partner who missed it. It’s a masterpiece encapsulation of Hollywood sexual psychosis and drug anxiety and the endless ouroboros of healing and hating yourself and probably the actual pound for pound funniest thing I’ve ever watched... but I think of the show more like a friend I loved that is now dead rather than a piece of media I will revisit often, like the first couple seasons of Arrested Development or Parks & Rec that’s I’ve watched maybe dozens of times.

I feel you there. I only watched Season 1 three times, then just stopped doing rewatches before the next season, so I wouldn't mind doing a rewatch at some point in the future. I guess the big problem is I'm not sure when I'd be ready for that much time spent getting punched in the gut over and over again by a cartoon horse.

The thing is, I have no desire to revisit AD or P&R, those shows are more like loved friends that are dead to me than BoJack is.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I feel the only thing that the thread agreed they didn't like with Diane was her rewriting a scene to force BoJack to confess what happened with Penny, and what everyone was upset with was that she was selfish for not considering any consequences that could have on BoJack's victims and she wasn't ever taken to task for that choice. Unfortunately real life has shown this happens all the time and the victims just get poo poo on again and again.

Any other flaws she had is just good character writing, sure she is frustrating when she gets on the soapbox but don't tell me you don't know several people like that in real life (or you are that person too, that's fine) and the closing scene with her and BoJack looking at the stars was beautiful.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i kind of feel like it's important for diane the character to get pulled into bojack's tailspin occasionally from here to there - he's extremely, extremely bad for her. she becomes everything she hates and chooses to leave the insane toxicity of hollywoo and find instead any scrap of self actualization, something that characters other than bojack figure out how to do repeatedly over the series and almost universally become happier and better people for it. it's kind of central that she figures this out before it is too late and he never does.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Comparing characters' respective actions to try to determine who is the worst quickly gets dicey in this show due to how the tone fluctuates between scenes. Todd once inadvertently authorized a genocide, remember.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In It For The Tank posted:

Comparing characters' respective actions to try to determine who is the worst quickly gets dicey in this show due to how the tone fluctuates between scenes. Todd once inadvertently authorized a genocide, remember.

He also released a bunch of rabid clowns into the woods. They come back a few times too. Todd is both the biggest monster and the comedic relief. He's a complicated character.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Diane pretending not to speak English to intentionally play into the key grip’s little Asian spring break fantasy is also extremely hosed up.

Like try to imagine one of your friends telling you that story as Diane and not thinking of her as a loving psycho?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Hey, so I made a Bojack music video the other day. Hope you enjoy. https://youtu.be/Qgdw79umUdM

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Diane pretending not to speak English to intentionally play into the key grip’s little Asian spring break fantasy is also extremely hosed up.

Like try to imagine one of your friends telling you that story as Diane and not thinking of her as a loving psycho?

If it immediately followed the story about not being able to break through with that one family despite knowing all of the English, I'd give her a pass.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry for Thread Necro, but

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1402993795587735555?s=21

Tuca & Bertie season 2 starts tonight. We’ve got an “adult animation” thread for people who wanna discuss it and other currently airing TV for grown ups who like animation

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Tuca & Bertie season 2 starts tonight. We’ve got an “adult animation” thread for people who wanna discuss it and other currently airing TV for grown ups who like animation

Am I the only one that thought S1 of Tica and Bertie was super bad compared to Bojack?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think there was one other wrong person in here.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, that one ep that ends with Bertie dropping trou & abusing herself after getting humiliated by her boss made the whole experience worth it to me.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Am I the only one that thought S1 of Tica and Bertie was super bad compared to Bojack?

No, but there are also a great many people who think Tuca and Bertie achieved more in that one season than Bojack did over 5.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Pararoid posted:

No, but there are also a great many people who think Tuca and Bertie achieved more in that one season than Bojack did over 5.

This feels overblown to me, or at least I guess I totally do not understand what S1 one of Tuca & Bertie “accomplished”