Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Binged all three seasons over the weekend. Glad my own hang ups don't quite resonate with Bojack's because drat.

How many examples are there of family friendly sitcom stars attempting to cast away their goofy family friendly image and become edgy ala The Bojack Horseman Show are there? Off the top of my head there's Jaleel White who starred in this sitcom where he was some ladies' man fuckmachine who was constantly boning and constantly appearing shirtless in many scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Graveyardstick posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the Family Matters episodes where Steve Urkel turns into Stefan Urquelle through some kinda cool-guy potion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grown_Ups_(1999_TV_series)

Ok so maybe it wasn't as edgy as Jaleel taking a dump on a VHS of Family Matters, but still

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also I'm curious as to what Todd's :T face is supposed to convey, since it was always only on his left side and Aaron Paul did sound like he had something in his mouth sometimes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The last dialogue in the last scene of the last episode is Bojack in a bar talking to a bartender saying and THAT'S why I have a long face

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So hey that Horseman am I right

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
WHY THE LONG FACE am I right

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Next season has the framing device of an e true hollywoo story 10 years after Bojack's death and it isn't until the last episode where they clarify if it was suicide or disease or overdose or happenstance or just Bojack faking his death to get away from it all

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I love the Ubu jokes, all two of them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I love how whenever they get a celebrity to play themselves like say, Daniel Radcliffe, the voice director probably tells them, you're not Daniel Radcliffe, you're a guy who can do a perfect Daniel Radcliffe impression because they always sound a little off, but in a good way

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Come September 8 the new season still isn't out until actually October 8 and the first two minutes of the first episode has a wacky misunderstanding where Mr. Peanutbutter accidentally writes Octoptember on an important mayor document and is the basis for that season's recurring background gag

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

maskenfreiheit posted:

so i probably should go back and rewatch, but did bojack do anything wrong?

iirc she showed up in his room, he told her no that's not what you want, and the mom walked in.

He told her no, she walked out, then returned, mom walked in on her about to unzip his pants and Bojack later says he was absolutely going for it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
On the other hand, Skip Church, popular Sunday morning breakfast restaurant and Miss Temple's which is always full Friday nights, always take people a second to get and on retrospect are incredibly simple and silly jokes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

Why do i have the feeling that this season is going to end up hurting even more than the last one?

Because Bojack hit absolute rock bottom last season and this season his potential daughter's going to get involved and odds are very high that if they ever meet (because I hope that Bojack only shows up very sporadically in this season and lets the other guys who have way more things going on in their lives shine more) she'll be absolutely disappointed at what she discovers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
On the other hand maybe this season everybody else fucks up because boy is the potential to gently caress up huge and Bojack manages to bond with his daughter and finally forges a little bit of genuine happiness for himself

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Why didn't they release this this labor day weekend

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Isn't that house in a physically impossible location based on the position of the Hollywoo sign

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

I meant that after all the horrible poo poo they both have been through and all the inherited emotional damage, he decides to comfort his mother in her late-stage dementia, even when the audience could sympathize to Bojack deciding to be truly merciless for what she did to Holly. With episode 6 in hindsight and understanding his emotional and cognitive processes a bit better, for him to do that is beyond massive in terms of character development

it was pretty much :unsmith:

I thought she was gonna drop dead right then and there and I was going to think it was going to be a cheap cop out but nope, Mamma Horseman has to live with dementia for a while

nooneofconsequence posted:

She didn't know they were fake when she got mad. That wasn't really the point.
It was still a grand, meaningless, empty gesture. Diane not knowing they were fake books wasn't the point. Dude just shook their new house up pretty badly for no real reason other than to do something Diane has explicitly said many times she hates

Vietnamwees posted:

OK, so I finished episode 6, and I had a few questions-

Does Bojack drive an Eco-convertible now? They spent a segment in episode 2 showing Bojack trying to put gas into his car to no available help.

Episode 6-Oh Good Lord, I wanted to cry during the entire episode. Is that the same bear nurse that was helping Bojack's old producer friend when he was dying?

Most likely. She's an assistive care bear

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember Hollyhock going gaga over Beatrice's coffee
So who else went :aaaaa: and realized (whole series) the twist with the coffee and Hollyhock's parentage seconds before the show revealed it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Who did the horse with no name cover

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Stabbatical posted:

I'd never heard of it before the show and the version they had was neat, I thought. Worked for the scene anyway.

Are you like 13 and have no dad

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Looking back on this thread people were upset that a bunch of reviews were all posting one huge spoiler unmarked and willy nilly. What was it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean just call it apple pudding or apple puree

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I miss the Mr. Peanutbutter/Bojack interactions but where can they go from them making out at the end of that episode of That Hollywoo Stars Trivia Show That Has A Really Long Title I Can't Recall, Let's Find Out

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I like how the show isn't afraid to drop characters because in life people sometimes just come and go like Sextina the gerbil man with the deep voice Jill Pill Ethan and Todd's sexual girlfriend

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
...joke with Mr. Peanutbutter's name?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Mr Peanutbutter's whole deal is despite his sweet innocent cheery persona he's all flavors of messed up inside so

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean there's probably a reason why both his ex wives are incredibly resentful of him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean the last episode explicitly goes into how, thanks to both monumental effort and a genuine love for her, Bojack was able to work through the voice in his head that calls him a huge piece of poo poo what sends him reeling to a bar, and do good by Holly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Boston just sounds like the most unpleasant place and people from Boston as the most horrible people just from pop culture osmosis

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean Mr Peanutbutter has had two divorces and is barreling towards a third one and both exwives are angry and resentful at him and the potential third exwife ain’t too happy with him plus he has all the nihilism so there’s a lot to mine off of his psychoses

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember how Ross dated one of his students

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually the smartest #metoo plotline would be someone going after Todd, because we know he DEFINITELY wouldn’t do that, and that actually provides some drama and tension. We’ve all seen the way Bojack and Mr. PB treat women, I could see Todd going on a date and like comically slipping on some spaghetti and accidentally grabbing Jessica Alba’s boob and apologizing and then all these other celebrities come out and misappropriate Todd’s buffoonery as sexism and then the lady-cab driver plotline rears back up...

I just think dragging the Ace into #metoo provides a dramatic tension we wouldn’t normally get, because we know Todd is not a sexual person and absolutely doesn’t mean to disrespect anyone.

But Pick makes a good point, the show could honestly just keep doing its own thing, Jill Pill taught me not to look for the low-hanging plotlines.

You can't have a metoo storyline involving one of the main cast members without either risking discrediting the movement or making said cast member an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but the nice thing he did was wait in a line for a few hours, donated some money to an orphanage, and brought a seahorse baby home once and then the bad things he did were like, uh... UUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bojack might be ready to make changes but we haven’t actually see him like atone for anything. He ruined Todd’s life, basically killed Sarah Lynn, put a teenage girl in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, traumatized Penny, certainly never did Diane & Mr. PB’s marriage any favors, and just stood by as his best friend and business partner was disgraced and exiled.

Honesty I’d like to season 5 address how being ready to change and wanting to live your best life isn’t easy even if you a mentally healthy and stable person with few deep regrets... Bojack is none of those things and his chickens coming home to roost would be awesome to see.

https://youtu.be/R2_Mn-qRKjA

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I have a whole new level of appreciation for Mayor Woodchuck after watching Brooklyn 99

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So straight up most gutpunch episode, is it Ruthie or

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Just imagine being Will Arnett growing up having his inner voice and monologue be Will Arnett

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wendie Malick's performance :kiss:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah, when I say gutpunch I mean episode where the rug gets pulled out from under you. Of course Sara Lynn was going to die, she literally says on her first appearance she’s an OD waiting to happen
Meanwhile Princess Carolyn explaining how she cheers herself up is pulled expertly and unexpectedly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
He wanted to set up a live episode of horsing around to bring her back to clarity and tell her gently caress you mom so him being kind to her in that moment of clarity meant a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Kelsey's utter and incomprehensible infatuation with Todd will never not be funny