Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's a parable about American society and only ends with a lobotomy. I'm talking about a story following Walter Freeman in his Lobotomobile in a twisted parody of the American Dream.

The Road to Wellville, only good was the first thing that sprang to mind.

Edit: beaten, what I get for not reading the whole page on my phone

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what Beatrice did to Henrietta by taking away her baby without letting her so much as seeing it. That's suppose to be seen is cruel and heartless right? Or as "a necessary evil"? Or is it one of those "depends on your viewpoint" sort of things?

It's less an issue of who was right and what was cruel, and more the moment in which she becomes her father. The show isn't making a moral judgement, it's showing the associations between the memories Beatrice is holding on to, and the way her taking Hollyhock away from a screaming Henrietta while assuring it's the right thing to do is juxtaposed against Joseph Sugarman hurling her doll into the fire and making the same declaration says it all. She has gone from the victim of well-meaning emotional torment to its inflictor, and it's probably why, despite it having been 18 years, Henrietta is such a mainstay in Beatrice's thoughts as her mind falls further apart.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
What Diane did in episode 7, it was malicious and angry and a strike at BoJack, and I sure as hell wouldn't give her a pass for it. But she was also trying to show him that he has some amazing faults and needs help. Unfortunately, it just further caused him to resonate with the Philbert character and contributed to his spiral of failing to differentiate fantasy from reality. She bails on season 2 because she recognizes all she did was make things worse by helping to validate BoJack.

Feels like some people missed that's what was going on; this wasn't just a stab at someone who insulted her, this was also a hosed-up attempt to help him which only made everything worse.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I wonder if we'll ever see another character as flawed yet well-rounded as Henry Fondle.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It says a whole lot about some people that they're willing to forgive someone trying to sleep with someone thirty+ years younger than them because their mother wouldn't, who enabled a former costar's death from a drug overdose, who has treated his friends callously, who has sabotaged opportunities in their lives for his own immediate gratification, who attempted to murder his own girlfriend due to his own drug addiction, and who only sought help finally after realizing that same murder, but god forbid a woman be upset at her partner for not respecting her clearly-communicated boundaries that bitch.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

H13 posted:

Do you judge people for their actions more than their personality?

There's no difference you absolute idiot, a point the show itself has mentioned on more than one occasion.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The flatline resumes beeping during the credits. Nearly everyone missed it due to Netflix auto-advancing to the next episode.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, that's basically my reading of the ending. It's good that everyone else was able to have a happy ending and move on, away from Bojack. And it's a better ending than they could've given him, while a totally happy ending would've felt out of place. But... I wish there'd at least been some hope that Bojack was changing, like during rehab and at Wesleyan. Not absolved, but willing to work to improve. But from the second interview onward, he's Old Bojack, trying to blame everyone else for his failures, and now his career path is Horny Unicorn with Vance.

She wanted to help an old friend who was hurting, but she also carried a bit of a flame for him, even if she could never leave her family for him. But maybe for a while, he could stick around and be the sitcom dad character, and she could pretend. Right up until they kissed, and reality came barging back in.

That's sort of it: BoJack is in a better place, personally, than he's ever been. He's putting in effort to try and stay sober, all the things he's running from have finally caught up to him and are no longer deep anxieties because they're here and they've happened, and the people that enabled him have made the conscious choice not to anymore. Sure, BoJack is denied the kind of support network he'd benefit from. The threat of relapse is a real possibility, the possibility is there of him going back to his old ways, but a good chunk of this season was in demonstrating the effort he was putting into trying not to do these things, and his failure. And that's not happy by any stretch, but it's very much the actual struggle experienced by recovering addicts and the same sort of situation many have found themselves in; anecdotal, but I didn't see my mother start to get better until she burned all her bridges and nearly died from her alcoholism.

Very little of what BoJack suffered this season was due to a selfish or monstrous thing he was doing. It was all the things he had done coming back, and how in trying to handle them he demonstrated he still had a lot of work to do. Will he fail or succeed? We don't get to know that. I prefer to be more hopeful, since I've got an entire childhood and adulthood of watching what addiction does to someone close to you, and the front-row lesson that being down doesn't mean they're out, especially if they really want to change. And that's the bit: when pressured on the talkshow, he manages to admit what he is... only to immediately start trying to rebuild his self-image once he exited the studio.

If he wants to get better, he's got a long journey ahead of him still, but the difference between now and earlier seasons is he at least wants to be better, not just feel better.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

well I know that LOST writers, despite frequently stating there was a plan, are surrounded by anecdotes of them drunkenly admitting at BBQs and poo poo that they were just making up whatever bullshit they wanted and had no idea where to go

From experience, most of the best ideas aren't thought out ahead of time, they're artists capitalizing on themes and ideas they've noticed run through their work. This can be accidental ("huh, we've used water as a metaphor a lot, I think I see something we could do") or deliberate ("so we settled on using water as a metaphor and have been consistent with it, now I just had a great idea on how to bring it around"). And sometimes it's just the audience seeing something that wasn't deliberately intended but works out so well you'd think it'd have to.

When you fail to be skilled enough to do any of those, you get LOST.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Didn't this come up a year or two ago, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I definitely remember someone saying Diane was exactly as bad as Bojack, but I might just be thinking of the scene where Bojack says that.

We had someone say Diane was worse than BoJack in this thread.