Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife and I have been watching Bojack Horseman all summer and have just started the sixth season. It really is an incredible show, something I previously assumed was one of those Adult Swim kinda deals that ended up being one of the best-written dramadies on anxiety, addiction and relationships I've ever seen. The utter commitment to taking things that would be one-off gimmicks in any other series and twisting them around throughout the entire course of the show into often poignant and memorable realizations is just so far above any other series I've followed, animated or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

For years I thought Bojack Horseman was some kind of meme Adult Swim type show and now I'm finishing up the last 3-4 episodes of season six kinda regretting that it has to end. It's really just an incredibly written series. Things you think are just going to be one-off gags are consistently returned and reconfigured into something far more meaningful. I appreciate the show's dedication to creating characters who genuinely grow over time and don't immediately revert back to their Episode 1 selves as soon as the season is over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah one of the things the show does very well is balance drama with its absurdist streak without urkelizing any of the storylines or characters. Even Todd who is their B-plot stalwart still gets his own character arc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I didn’t view Season 5 as being out of line with Bojack’s character progression at all and it’s surprising to me that someone would think that. S5 also spent noticeably more time on Diane and PC’s arcs so it’s weird to hear anyone thinking they “lost” that focus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My wife and I just finished the last season and now I'm kinda sad, because there's really nothing else I want to watch that's nearly as good and all my other favorite shows on Netflix are getting cancelled. It's kind of rare to find a show that's so consistent in quality, where all the characters grow in their own way without becoming urkelized parodies of themselves or continuing to make mind-numbingly irrational decisions from week to week. I felt Holly-hock's absence in the final two episodes to hit the hardest, since that was a relationship you got to see Bojack develop and destroy over the course of three full seasons. Painful. Very satisfied with how everything resolved -- a lot of successful shows continue way past their sell-by date but Bojack Horseman picked the perfect moment to let go.