Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I binge watched the first 3 seasons and legit have never felt so god awful about everything and myself in my life. I mean, having depression and anxiety binge watching was perhaps a bit of a misstep on my part. Fourth season started to pull out of the worst of the depression spiral of the show at least, so that was nice. Having been away from it for a week I actually feel a lot more normal now. I've never had a piece of media just crush me like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Pick posted:

Yeah I re-watch the episode where Sarah-Lynn dies surprisingly regularly. This show can nail something STRONG.

Yeah that was friggen brutal. Seriously one of the best shows I've seen in a long time in how it's handling these issues. Which is funny cause the first few eps really read as more of a "rich jerk does crap each episode" instead of "this is the self destruction of a person".

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

One thing in the first season I always thought odd, when they are making the movie about the D from the Hollywoo sign being stolen, they white wash Diane, having her played by Naomi Watts. Which would maybe have been a nice nod to what happens in Hollywood, if Diane had not been played by a white actor. And Todd Chavez being played by a northern European.

And Bojack voiced by a human.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Master Twig posted:

They pretty much tend to avoid most racial issues on Bojack. Which is probably a good thing, because in world where half the characters are animals, it would drat near impossible to do without somehow comparing real life minorities to animals.

I totally agree, I think it's the right choice. I guess I just think that if you have a cambodian or a latino character they should probably be played by an actor of that ethnicity. Todd is definitely a border case, cause who really knows with him, he's by design an enigma.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Her Boston family is the best

I'd love to claim it is an over the top caricature but, it's pretty drat accurate.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand that some people would be very disappointed if they did anything besides the very straight take on it, but the gun control episode from last season has shown that they won’t always take the the right side of an issue. Remember how quickly everyone decided to use the mall shooting to their advantage?

I’d be more interested in the “insider take on #metoo and how people are trying to abuse it” than a simple story about Bojack’s chicken’s coming home to roost.

The biggest issue is that people used the excuse of "Someone is accusing me of sexually inappropriate behavior for personal revenge" was one of the more common ways that perpetrators would try and discredit their accusers, so then using that exact same narrative here would only play into a paranoia fostered by those who used their position to assault women.

And do you really think that there are THAT many people trying to abuse the fact women are more likely to be believed when they accuse someone, instead of just being dismissed as it used to be?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

So, I guess we can have a good handle on who they'd give a #metoo accusation to if they went that way...
Ryan Seacrest maintains innocence as former colleague backs accuser Suzie Hardy

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Just binged it all (thanks for the coincidental Friday off Boss!)

Overall really strong season

Not sure how I feel about the literal mindless sex robot being the target of sexual harassment stuff, but it could also have been handled so much worse. Bojack attacking his co-star felt maybe too far? Maybe that's the point? Not sure how I feel about it still. The show has always played with the idea of if Bojack is redeemable in any way, or what can a person do once they've done something essentially irredeemable. They flat out show how nothing is TOO bad for Hollywood, but how those people likely don't ever actually change really. I'm not sure if it's trying to show the nuanced reality or if it's just not hitting the marks it should be.

Ep 10 and on spoilers.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

One of my favorite background gags is a depressed Rabbit with running number sitting at a bar, while a few feet away 3 identical turtles with running numbers are celebrating.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Henry Fondle, TV executive, was almost a Vincent Adultman level character.

Even with the obvious buildup to that character's introduction I was totally not prepared for what it actually was.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Todd really asexual? I thought he was just really dumb.

Did you miss him learning about asexuality, realizing it describes himself, and then all the times he has discussed being asexual including dating another asexual?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

Next season will feature a bleak portrayal of Pickles coping with the innumerable health issues pugs suffer from, including frequent seizures, allergy issues, skin infections, crippling joint disorders, chronic overheating, brachycephalic respiratory problems, and eye prolapses.

She was being 100% truthful when she said she was never going to grow up.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

i am the bird posted:

I apologize if I’m misreading you, but are you saying Penny attempted to rape BoJack?

I mean if a guy had let a girl get drunk (while staying sober themselves) and then try to have sex with them despite protestation it'd read that way.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

i am the bird posted:

I get the analogy but you’d have to pretend like there’s no power differential between a 50-something wealthy famous adult man who just spent several months acting like a peer to a 17-year-old high school girl whose only understanding of sex comes from sex ed.

I'm not meaning to say that Bojack is innocent in all this, but that's really the core of victim blaming. "They were no angel" kind of stuff doesn't mean that the person who planned out a situation where they could get what they wanted at the expense of another person's agency isn't in the wrong, power dynamics being included or excluded from the equation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQyBLb2TdA4

Everyone failing to react to a horrible crushing weight and doing nothing/little to prevent it or change is a pretty apt comparison to the show