Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You didn't find New Mexico to be like getting decapitated? You're made of stern stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well then....

What are YOUUUUU doing here?!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If for nothing else, the opening titles.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wow

"DELIGHTFULLY MANIC" is like the last possible pull quote I'd think to toss over the top of a trailer written to play up the deep-delving psychodrama aspects of this dumb-animal-pun show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nichael posted:

Is BoJack underwater in a few of those scenes? I guess it's not a stretch that marine life is anthropomorphic too.

Some significant portion appears to take place at a "freshwater taffy" plant (that explodes) at the bottom of the ocean. :getin:

Seriously this is a drat good trailer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not an Owl posted:

Is Wanda back?

Her?

Wait

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wasn't it in production long before the whole Cosby thing went down?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WickedHate posted:

I mean, I know how time consuming it is to produce a season of a television show, I must have just been fuzzy on the timeline of events-but not being based on Cosby directly is such a surreal idea to me because it matches up so closely to Cosby specifically. It has to be one of those freak coincidences, like the spontaneous creation of two Dennis the Menaces at the same time in different countries.

See also how both the Simpsons and Family Guy managed to make the "Jebus" joke at almost exactly the same time, independently (and FG did it first, much to my disbelief).

E: well poo poo, I missed a page, thought we were just being flippant

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 18, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SEX BURRITO posted:

drat. :(

While we're talking about Bojack music, I hadn't heard the full version of the theme song until a couple of days ago. The saxophone is awesome and I love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpc1BN4nN8

Thanks for this. What a fantastic piece of music.

In fact something I've wanted to say throughout this season watch, but had to wait till I got caught up on the thread, was how much the opening sequence has turned into this iconic thing that instantly gets the endorphins flowing. Back in S1 I pegged it as being sort of a Mad Men parody, but without really changing anything about the simplicity of its concept it's taken on a life of its own the longer the show has gone on. I love watching it. I make special time for it.

It's got such a great buildup, from scene to scene following Bojack's walleyed stare, and they can play around so much with the backgrounds as the story progresses (the Cabracadabra drivers turning into the strippers halfway through, then the whole house being empty for the final episode), but the central focus is always that great big horse face and how the cacophony of the outside world is just this sort of annoying buzz to him, an echoing tornado of other people's lives and him in a glass bubble that none of them can really break through no matter what he does.

Extra bonus comes from how his backing the Tesla into his pool in Ep. 11 mirrors it, and the nihilism inherent in the final sequence of the intro is further echoed in the suicide attempt at the end of Ep. 12.

The end of S2 used the theme song as a bookend to make the first two seasons feel like a self-contained narrative unit, but the way this season ends with a more thematic bit of closure to that foreshadowing is even more satisfying, even if the story itself isn't as tidily tied up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

C-SPAN Caller posted:

They pulled off a 2007 flashback with no warning or background in the second episode that set up the rest of the season, they can pull off that too.

It's nuts how much better s2 and s3 and late s1 are compared to early s1. I never believed good shows could have bad beginning stints of episodes but this show sure did. The fact this show only has 4 stars on netflix is weird.

Also this. I'm remembering the first impression the show made, and remember how it seemed to want to be a catchphrase machine? Like, self-aware catchphrases, but catchphrases nonetheless?

"Bojack.
...Horseman.
...Obviously."

And the way he would habitually overexplain a joke to make sure everyone got it, which was a good gag once, but they kept doing it to the point where it seemed to be his schtick.

Not to mention "What is this, a crossover episode?" which was, again, a lampshaded Mr.PB thing, and they've continued to riff on it to the present day, but early on it added to the general feel of the show being shock humor and edgy "modern" dialogue.

These days the repartee between all the cast members is far more finely tuned, and only seems to be getting denser and denser with commentary on how certain kinds of people act. I mean, this:

quote:

You had sex with Emily?!

Well, what did you think?

I don't know! Not that! I just knew something sketchy happened. I thought maybe you gave her one of your weird monologues about how sad you are, and it bummed her out!

Todd, I'm sorry, all right? I screwed up. I know I screwed up. I don't know why—

Oh, great! Of course! Here it comes! You can't keep doing this! You can't keep doing lovely things, and then feel bad about yourself like that makes it okay! You need to be better!

I know. And I'm sorry, okay? I was drunk, and there was all this pressure with the Oscar campaign. - But now Now that it's over, I -

No! No, BoJack, just stop. You are all the things that are wrong with you. It's not the alcohol, or the drugs, or any of the lovely things that happened to you in your career, or when you were a kid.
It's you. All right? It's you. gently caress, man. What else is there to say?

"I'm sorry, okay?" AND THAT IS LITERALLY WHERE TO STOP. But no, he keeps going, and he starts making excuses, like what's that supposed to accomplish? Make Todd soften, go easier on him? People who do this drive me up the wall; they can't just apologize. They have to start rationalizing and defending, right there in the moment, like somehow they can still salvage the conversation and be "right". Todd is a harmless dummy savant kind of guy without a mean bone in his body, but even he can be driven to the brink by one too many false pointless apologies. I feel like the show might not have been a "dare" so much as someone wanting really, really badly to lay down some sick commentary on natural lovely human behavior but it's taken three seasons' worth of independent character development for it to all feel organic and not to come across like the writers being gratuitously cathartic about people they know in their own lives.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SEX BURRITO posted:

Either way, they need to break up Diane and Mr Peanutbutter. The marriage counselling stuff was one of the few bits of season 3 that didn't really work. It'd be far more interesting to see them go through a divorce at this point.

As fun as it is to see Mr. Peanutbutter being Mr. Peanutbutter, all irrepressible goofball labrador retriever, some of the most interesting moments of S3 were where he started to let things get to him. Seeing him break façade and actually get mad (whether at Diane, Bojack, his brother's spleen, or who knows what else) feels like something that's been teased more and more as the show has gone on, and his story's got to be building to something pretty big.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope Mr. Peanutbutter's "Ohhhhh... kaaaaaay" when Diane was trippin' balls was an homage to Homer in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BceHGzsDVLY

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe it's a fair statement to apply to a goofball comedy cartoon though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As a Californian currently living in NYC, I love the California-centric humor.

"What's up with pizza by the slice, New York? Either eat a pizza or don't! :argh: "

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something I've been meaning to say: the whip-crack cuts to credits were what I think were the biggest quirk or gimmick of this season.

The "Son of a —" at the end of the underwater episode, the cliffhanger outburst from Diane at the hospital, the brief "No" and Princess Caroline's eyes-pop-open take and then BAM credits. It's like how Aqua Teen Hunger Force used to do it. Like the Broodwich episode, which hits you with like four successive abrupt 90-degree narrative turns and then smacks you with credits all within about three seconds of footage. And I can't resist when it's done well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For me it seems like it's a show about how someone can be a lovely person entirely without meaning to be.

A lot of the toxicity I keep seeing online these days seems to stem from people insisting to themselves that they're not doing anything wrong, it's the rest of the world that's at fault. Even this stuff coming into the general discourse about how it's apparently okay to be racist, it's just not okay to be seen as racist or called racist. Everything's always about oneself, about rationalizing one's behavior and managing perceptions, crafting personas and constructing elaborate facades of falsehoods that mask the fact that underneath all these silver-tongued internet avatars are often a bunch of horrible misfits you'd never want anything to do with. Nobody is the villain in their own story, and lately it seems like people are more apt to create their own narratives in which to be the hero, largely because there are so many new ways for those narratives to be the primary way in which we interface with the world.

So all these horrible outcomes all come about even though Bojack never actually sets out to ruin anyone's life; he'd rather make people's lives better, given his druthers, but he just can't. But rather than embrace the fact that "he can't" doesn't mean "he should stop trying", but rather "he should try something new, and think from someone else's perspective for once", he just keeps doubling down on the rest of the world being more at fault than he is, to the point where he'd rather just excuse himself and leave the party, the last remaining way to be above it all.

Anyway, I enjoy how Aaron Paul plays Todd with this kind of slow-witted Pauly Shore drawl, rather than his own voice. Well, except for that one bit at the end of Ep. 10.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Megaspel posted:

My prediction is that everything will work out fine for Mr Peanutbutter's divorcedon't put that part in spoiler tags what is wrong with you

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course in Korra they did that because they thought the series was getting canned and they had to wrap it up quick

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:thejoke: being that those are the same things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*smash cut to credits*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"What if Mad Men was an Arrested Development style comedy set in Zootopia?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Duckbag posted:

Wasn't the line about recognizing bear fur because of her stepdad from the Herb funeral episode, half way through season 2 though? Incidentally, I think it's pretty clear the writers knew she was doomed from the start. Her introductory episode has her saying she's going to die tragically young. Season 2 we see her at a funeral, failing to learn anything from it. Season 3, she's talking to BoJack while painting her nails while driving (pretty similar to how Herb went out, actually) and crashes as the phone hangs up. It's a lot of foreshadowing.

The only weird McFarlanesque cutaway I can think of is from the very first episode actually, when we suddenly flash to Todd tied up by the Mexican gangster for selling E on his turf. Weirdly enough, Todd being a drug dealer (or even doing anything more illegal than smoking weed and selling fake David Boreanas merch) has never been touched on since.

I almost feel like that was thrown in as a sop to people who might have started watching the show because someone told them "Get this, it has Aaron Paul basically playing Jesse Pinkman as a wacky sitcom neghbor". Or because that's how they themselves thought of him at the time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also they sure do take up time the way they need to if you want to pad out a thin script.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aw man, I liked whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. :saddowns:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Curious, why does everyone keep using "Adult Swim" as a shorthand for lazy cutaway/pop culture reference humor?

AS is dozens of shows with all kinds of styles. If what you mean is "Robot Chicken", say that maybe? I feel like this does a disservice to just about every other show they've had, both good and bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fair enough but I hope you aren't suggesting that Aqua Teen humor is anything but its own thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone else talk about Home Movies and Venture Bros and Metalocalypse and Tim & Eric because I don't wanna be That Guy.

Harvey Birdman I'll kinda give you because some of its humor comes from the same quadrant

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Here we go again with people mysteriously knowing all the various ages of maturity / consent :rolleyes:

:v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Murmur Twin posted:

It's crazy how much this show has rocketed up in my personal rankings - I haven't re-watched a show this many times since Arrested Development.

Conclusion: I really like shows set in SoCal where Will Arnett has wealth, a terrible mother, a recently-discovered child (maybe?), and attempts to have sex with a high-school-age girl on a boat.

*closes one eye*

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Suicide in the 11th episode followed by a finale from dead bojack's POV, Christmas Carol style. Only he can't come back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm assuming Bob Saget, with Mr. Peanutbutter as Dave Coulier.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know why but I think JURJ CLOONERS and BREAD POOT and LERNERNERNER DICAPRICORN are what most reliably cracks me up.

It's so stupid it's genius

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

i am the bird posted:

Agreed. I'm only ever willing to concede the first episode because viewers a) don't know the emotional depth of the show yet and b) it's just genuinely the least-funny episode of the series. But even then, it has a lot of vulnerability to it, so I think people who dismiss it as MacFarlane-esque aren't giving credit to some really good scenes and instead are focusing on a couple swing-and-a-miss jokes. BoJack's relationship with Princess Carolyn is pretty well defined from the get-go, but people tend to only talk about the "girlfriend wants a baby" cutaway joke. The scene where BoJack meets Diane is also wonderful, but it gets derailed by the "you had sex with him?" joke that, for me, doesn't land.

It doesn't help that whoever made the early trailer/preview apparently thought the show was all about those kinds of jokes, since it showed the "you had sex with him?" routine in full.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been looking forward to Faptember all year

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Post ur bojacksona

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a hell of a thing hearing Mr. PB growling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

maskenfreiheit posted:

Because Asian Americans aren't particularly well represented in media, so when you create a character who's Korean it would seem to me it's a great chance to, you know, cast someone who's Korean.

Maybe "racist" is harsh but can you understand why it might come off as uncool?

I always thought it was hilarious that whoever cast Mulan couldn't find more than like one Chinese voice actor, so they got Pat Morita and George Takei

"Close enough! :haw:"

(Both of whom were born in the US to boot, so no "accent" argument even if that made sense)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know why it is that in this, the most intelligent comedy since Arrested Development, the jokes that get me best are the dumbest ones.

JURJ CLOONERS
BREAD POOT
LERNERNERNER DICAPRICORN

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lowe's

but like an animal version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Henchman of Santa posted:

Everyone started calling it that after the D was stolen and it's remained that way ever since.

The fact that everyone just does it without batting an eye or ever calling attention to it, including in this thread, is one of the best things :neckbeard: