Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
You mean during the montage? Wild Horses by Rolling Stones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Judging by the trailer it looks like Bojack reconnects with his mother. That's going to be an episode.

Based on his clothing in the scene, I assume it's a flashback.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The second episode was loving fantastic. Every part of it was amazing and the background gags were absolutely killer (EP. 2: the bedbug!).

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

(Episode 3) Holy poo poo that got dark. It never stopped being funny though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched 11 and I need to give the show a rest for a little while before I start the finale. What an amazing episode.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I think she's a new character entirely set up as a hook for next season. We haven't heard the name before or anything about this other old show that Bojack was apparently a part of, so it makes the most sense as sowing the seeds for the next season arc.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

In a way it's why I think the little ending bit this season with the Macaque feels a bit unearned. He didn't really do anything this time. .

My two cents is that I think the theme for this season is that the story doesn't end where the characters hope it will. What I mean by that is that there is no happily ever after, rather it's a continual journey* and things can and will still go wrong because everything is just another step, with all the potential pitfalls that entails, and not a definite conclusion. Bojack thought that if he got the part of Secretariat, everything in his life would be fixed. Then, he thought that if he could reconnect with Charlotte, he would be happy. Diana thought going to Cordovia with Sebastian would help her feel fulfilled and purposed. Todd and Princess Carolyn roughly fall in line with their respective attempt to find new friends or love and respect. In every case, the characters get what they want but find it's not what they dreamed it would be and have to push through the despair and disappointment to keep going. In that sense, the macaque's little pep talk is totally congruent what we've see throughout the season.

* "The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn’t the search for meaning, it’s to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense and eventually, you’ll be dead."

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Biggest laugh of the season for me was probably:

"Okay.... Bojack, Do you want to talk about the elephant in the room?"

"Woooooooow! Okay. You know what? You know what? Your- First of all- Wow. A-Alright, I can't even - ugh! .... You know what? Pfft ugh. Wooooooooow!"

"He is never gonna forget that."

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Speaking of the episode where they reunite the Horsin' Around cast, did anyone else find it incredibly disappointing? All we get is some sort of mystery, followed by them solving the mystery and not a whole lot else. It hints at some interesting character development, but nothing comes of it. Princess Carolyn's bit was pretty funny, though.

I thought it was great. It struck a good balance: it was funny and it got incredibly dark between all the references to Sarah Lynn being molested and the gut punch of an ending. Plus, animal puns: "I'll let you get back to your business" and Maggot Gyllenhaal.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

lol which episode was this in

It was in episode 3, when Bojack sends Todd to buy some Squiirt.

The best animal background joke is the bedbug dragging someone to their death in the mattress pile in episode 2.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I loved the one in season 2's episode 12, but where is the first one from again? I'm about to re-watch the whole series from season 1 but I want to know where to keep an eye out for it so it doesn't sneak past me.

Season 1, Episode 5. It's the episode where Diane's dad is wicked depahted.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

No Wave posted:

Latest season was terrible... Netflix continues its perfect record of awful second seasons

That's too much, man!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

FIRE THAT JEW

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Princess Carolyn isn't dating anyone and is happier for it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I can't wait to feel like poo poo after whatever ends up happening in Episode 11.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The bed bug in the pile of matresses.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, the show doesn't use liscenced music very much, the only thing I can think of is Tegan and Sara in the season 1 finale.

Actually,
Not two day later.
Just two minutes later.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 17, 2016

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

I like that they left you guessing. Hank could be a representation of any of the lovely people Diane lists off at the beginning of the episode. He could be a creep like Woody Allen, or a woman beater like Sean Penn. Ultimately, what he has done doesn't really matter. I didn't really see it as being ripped from the headlines. The story had parallels to Cosby in the way the women were treated, but not in the actual crimes.

Also, Titpuncher. Holy poo poo that made me laugh. Then I kinda wanted to cry because it's too accurate.

Fight Club is a good and important movie.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoyed this season from a dramatic perspective but I didn't find it as funny as the previous two. There were certainly funny parts, but I felt like the emphasis was on the tragic story than the laughs.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

Also curious if Todd'll keep living in Bojack's house. Things seemed much more resolved with Emily and she actually held onto her 8 million and would probably be very sympathetic if he wants to get away from Bojack for a while. He could end up sleeping on the couch at whatever new little mansion she picks out for herself.

I'm sure she will let him stay, she thinks he's like a troubled asexual teen or something.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I would pay actual dollars for a full, song-length version of that Keep Driving song from 309.

Same. It is drat catchy.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I really enjoyed this season, lots of real laughs and lots of heavy horse drama, although I think it had my least favorite Episode 11. Beatrice is a monster and while I enjoyed the episode, I didn't connect emotionally with the drama playing out on screen like I have with previous seasons' episodes 11. I'd say this season is probably my second favorite after Season 2.

My favorite sight gag of the season was the caterpillar professor closing his three sets of books.

My favorite exchange was (Episode 10) when Katrina says Woodchuck's new hands are taken from a paedophile murderer, the anchor replies "well if you had to murder somebody..." and she clarifies that the hands are from a paedophile slash murderer, not a paedophile dash murderer. This is shortly followed by Mr Peanut Butter saying that they are being killed in the polls like the paedophile murderer killed the children after he "paedophiled" them. It's such a dark loving joke and I loved it. Now that I think about it, there were a lot of dark jokes this season that I'm amazed they pulled off. Like the (Episode 9) the "Miss Carries" joke.

I was also a sucker for the (Episode 12) clown/dentists storyline. I found it hilarious all the way through and the writers clearly had so much fun with it: the line from Todd in the finale where he warns people not to get bitten because the clentists have very healthy teeth slayed me. I also loved how much humor they squeezed out of (Episode 12) Hollyhock's eight dads. Especially Iceman.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 9, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Finished the season and enjoyed it a lot.

I know others have mentioned it but it's interesting to reflect on how recent events may have altered the show's perspective on forgiveness/rehabilitation/redemption (whatever you want to call it) of the Bojacks of the world, or rather: what is and isn't too much, man. It definitely felt like this season was walking back some of the previous' seasons commentary on the matter, as well as Bojack's "progress".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

WHY DID YOU MAKE ME GOOGLE THIS, WHY IS THIS A REAL THING :stare:

Next season will feature a bleak portrayal of Pickles coping with the innumerable health issues pugs suffer from, including frequent seizures, allergy issues, skin infections, crippling joint disorders, chronic overheating, brachycephalic respiratory problems, and eye prolapses.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

BTW, a question for S5: I can't figure out a good interpretation for what happens in the last scene of the opioid max delusion episode. Bojack goes up a shining ladder and meets the balloon... My initial take is that he has a sort of enlightenment about who he is, but I can't quite work out the details :saddowns:

Yeah this is one scene that didn't sit right with me. It's a very evocative image to end the episode on but the popular interpretation is it is Bojack's realization that he is the ultimate creator of his own misfortune (not his parents, not society, not God, etc.), which is an epiphany two seasons late after Season 3's "it's you".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

fawning deference posted:

Does basically everyone get hooked on the show for good after S1E7's ending with PC? I remember liking it but not being married to it for 5 or 6 episodes but that ending I found so sad out of nowhere and made me think this might be a great show.

The episode where the series clicked for me was whichever episode had Bojack sabotaging Todd's space opera. I think the ending of that was where it became clear the show was going to be more than just silly animal jokes.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

No one on earth is too busy to "suffer"* through the first three episodes of Season 1, which starts to kick off in episode 4.

*they're not even bad in hindsight.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That's awesome news but the cynical part of me is expecting season 6 to just get canceled now.

I thought season six was the end anyway? Or maybe I just dreamt that because I don't want the show to keep running Bojack's character in circles forever to pad out its longevity.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

There's no way the show ends with "why the long face" but I can definitely see it at the end of an episode 11.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

That was pretty good!

Binged it all in one setting. Honestly, it wasn't funny (I think I only laughed once, at "this isn't the time for one of your patented Judah tantrums!" but the ending for the four main characters was sweet and felt "earned", so I'm satisfied.

That last shot was nice, although I personally think it wasn't as poignant as the writers seemed to think it was by dwelling on it for so long. I think it would have been improved if the implication that Diane is choosing to spend time with Bojack, and that their friendship is still salvagable, could have been made a smidgen more explicit. Like Bojack says "Anyway, you don't have to waste anymore time talking to me, you've done that enough" and Diane responds "I know". As it stands, I got a bit of The Graduate vibes which I'm not sure is wholly intended? Or maybe I tragically misread the scene.

It did feel like they didn't have time to resolve everything. No real closure for a lot of side characters that were either written out with very brief scenes or just dropped. I can't believe Charlotte and Penny just disappear.

But I was especially surprised there was no closure on Hollyhock. To just end it with a complete irreconcilable severance was not what I was expecting. Oh well.

In all honesty, the show probably could have ended a few seasons earlier without diminishing anything. My gut instinct is that it grew too large for the central conceit of the story so when they tried to tie up everything, stuff had to be left out. They did an admirable job but I don't think the show accomplished anything in six seasons that couldn't have done in four.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mistikman posted:

I actually got the opposite impression from that. I was feeling that scene was implying that we were indeed watching what was going to be the last time Diane and Bojack ever talk to each other. I thought Diane was giving him that last conversation as a courtesy, but she was ready to move on from him and all the toxicity he brought to her life, and he was willing to let her go after enjoying that one last rooftop conversation.

Yeah, I rewatched the scene and I think you're absolutely right. I definitely misinterpreted the scene.

I still think it's left ambiguous whether there is an opportunity for salvaging their friendship and that this isn't necessarily the end, but it's definitely more bittersweet than heartwarming like I originally thought.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Something I think is unfortunate - narratively speaking - about Hollyhock cutting Bojack out of her life forever is that her reasons for doing so are ostensibly his inappropriate behavior with Penny (and Maddy and Pete) and his culpability for Sarah Lynn's death. But both those things happened before they ever met, which means their relationship was doomed from the beginning unless the truth never came out. So what's the moral there? That they should have never met and it would have been better if Hollyhock had never found out she had a half-brother?

In hindsight, it makes Season 4 almost nasty because Season 4 was by far the most hopeful season on the strength of Bojack and Hollyhock's burgeoning relationship, but now we know it only worked because Hollyhock had no idea who she was dealing with. Which is a shame because, despite its lows, their relationship seemed genuine and supportive for both of them.

I understand it's realistic for Hollyhock to sever their relationship after learning about Bojack's past - and I certainly don't fault her - but dramatically I wish there had been a more direct reason for her to cut ties (i.e. Bojack either did something directly to her or something heinous in front of her after they had met that convinced her he was toxic). That way, there would have been chance for their relationship to survive if only Bojack wasn't the way he is, and his failure in that regard would be one more reason to end up in the pool.

The most obvious way to do that, I think, would be to put Hollyhock in the room when Bojack, PC, Diane, and Todd are brainstorming everything bad Bojack has done so that she sees him trying to manipulate things to evade consequence. That way she learns that he's not trying to get better, despite the extent of his transgressions literally staring him in the face, and that his transformation is all an act.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 2, 2020

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

She saw exactly that, on national television, along with everyone else.

And it's shame it happened off-screen. We saw the result (the letter) but not the reaction. Would have been more visceral if she'd been in the same room as Bojack.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Do y'all remember when Todd authorized a literal genocide back in Season 2?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I remember thinking Season 5 was unsatisfying because it ultimately reiterated the same point that Season 3 did, which was that Bojack was the cause of his own problems. "It's you".

Is it realistic for a troubled person to relapse back to old behaviours and have to relearn their epiphanies? Sure. Does that make for an engaging storyline in a serial television series? Eh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Comparing characters' respective actions to try to determine who is the worst quickly gets dicey in this show due to how the tone fluctuates between scenes. Todd once inadvertently authorized a genocide, remember.