Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not an Owl posted:

Is Wanda back?

I hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Binged through all of this over the weekend. Thought the back half of s1 was probably the best part of it, but Todd's last conversation with Bojack in s3 hit pretty hard. Are there any other good series (preferrably on Netflix or hulu) that have kind of a similar look at a broken/depressed person(s) like this?

Flaked. Will Arnett doing live action Bojack.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You guys need to cool it with the joke analysis, they ain't making Arrested Development.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bojack's rant about the army is great, because he's right.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hot take incoming: I rewatched the first 6 episodes, and they are very good.

There's definitely some stylistic differences, like the cutaways (which are not even remotely McFarlane-esque, I don't know why anyone would say that), but the show is good. I also agree with whoever said the rock opera was good: it is.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

It's excellent continuity that Mr PB had V-necks made. You can put your sunglasses in them!

I was fairly disappointed by the scene in 2007 where he says "let me take off this monkey suit [his crew neck tuxedo t-shirt]", but then puts on another t-shirt with a crew neck, rather than a v-neck. While the joke still works, it would be way better if what he was really just objecting to the neck line.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Charlotte's kids are definitely the only kids with known parentage I could think of. Kelsey's daughter is presumably adopted.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

There's frog CEO and his son, who is also a frog.

Also, don't we briefly see Princess Carolyn at her niece's wedding in an episode?

We don't know who Charlie's mother is though, she might also be a frog, in which case that wouldn't really count either way. Can't remember anything about Princess Caroline's niece.

I am thinking far too hard about made up TV genealogy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I enjoyed flaked.

:same:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Possibly because Bojack has all the attention and acclaim it needs, he really wants his other show to take off.

I watched the first season of Flaked and just feel like absolutely nothing of any importance took place during pretty much the entire season. I found that if you make a show where pretty much no one really cares about anything, the viewer can't really care about anything either.

Conversely I really like Flaked, a show where a guy makes bad decisions because he's a self-centered jerk. I am surprised the Bojack crowd does not enjoy it.

The plot with the girl is good.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GigaPeon posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a few times where Bojack leaves a long voicemail and then signs off with "This is Bojack.... Horseman, obviously"

Maybe he does it to Herb?

Oh and he tells her to delete the voicemail saying it was some kind of drunk rambling.

Yeah, him signing off voicemails like that happens at least a few times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I still haven't gotten over the fact that they cast a white man to play a horse.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just finished the season, amazing as always.

The only thing I find surprising about the reactions is that people apparently don't like Thoughts and Prayers. It's essentially the long form "It's You" speech from Todd, directed at the nation at large. Plus a bunch of great jokes; the "what are my constituents supposed to do? Not compliment random women on the street" just slays me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

*replace "most people" with "I"

"I used to think this and don't want to feel foolish about it" Its okay to not know things.

Were it not for the objectively superior current thread title, I would suggest:

BoJack Horseman: SA Posters: What do they know? Do they know things? Let's find out!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What is this, a live action episode??

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That sounds a whole lot like PC talking to a BJH voicemail...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pick posted:

Did the songwriter ever post the "clean" version of this piece?

It's my favorite joke from Bojack Horseman, period. Also it is exactly me, in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtvNI0Olc8

Honestly that sounds like it's Ben Schwartz singing it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously wtf.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm positive the Netflix algorithm hosed up the show's launch really badly.

:agreed:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mouth is ok but a three season renewal for that and 0 for T&B is just criminal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I kinda want a thread for a streaming service thunderdome death battle, I'm vehemently opposed to actually having more than one that I pay for because gently caress this cable tv anti consumerist dogshit I'll just pirate the others content if its interesting enough.

I agree with you in the sense that I sincerely wish there was one streaming service that destroyed the others and accumulated all the content, but then it would just turn around and immediately engage in all the anti-consumerist bullshit the cable and telecom networks do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beekeeping and You posted:

I should get a throwaway so I can yell my feminist harpy opinions without having to asspat guys for doing the bare minimum or follow every post with "This isn't about you, the dude reading this, unless you specifically are doing these things"

gently caress that, be the screechy harpy, it honestly seems to be the only thing driving progress these days.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I always thought Bojack was funny immediately and went from Good to Amazing, the “low
quality” of the Ep1-5 is dramatically overstated IMO.

Yeah I started rewatching the first season, the first couple episodes are just fine.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Free churro was one of my favorite episodes. Listening to bojack progress as he sorted through his feelings on his dead mother i thought was pretty compelling and hit pretty close to home, though my personal experience is that people's enjoyment of the parent stuff in bojack is directly proportional to their exposure to child abuse irl so I guess I can see how someone would've just found the episode super boring if they weren't sold on that aspect of the show already.

Really though if the entirety of your empathy for bojack is viewing him as "the narcissist" I'm not sure what the appeal of the show in general is. People who think bojack is a role model are stupid but you are supposed to be, like, sympathetic to his problems and what he's going through.

Yeah this exactly.

I also loved the punchline reveal at the end. I was expecting some sort of twist when the camera turned around, but not that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Argue posted:

Was that mid-sentence joke a jab at any particular movie or show?

I thought it was a reference to this season. All the temporally mixed up flashbacks, and then the season break is basically mid sentence.

PostNouveau posted:

I did not notice Pickles got recast! That is weird.

Yeah I didn't notice either. When somebody pointed out in the thread I didn't even believe them, had to go check.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Which reminds me, I really enjoyed the Todd and his dad episode.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Android Blues posted:

I would watch Bojack for as long as it aired, I'm sure. This final season is still crystalline in quality - it doesn't have any of the apologetic bagginess that abrupt wrap-up seasons sometimes do. It's just very good and knows exactly what it's doing.

Yeah this is where I'm at too.

I am very glad Netflix warned RBW they were going to end it though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Turns out Raphael Bob-Waksberg also thinks T&B getting the axe was bullshit.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/bojack-horseman-creator-calls-out-netflix-changing-business-model-1202187250/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It's a lot of sing-talking against a three-note bass line, plus a guitar solo

Yeah but that three note bass line sounds bomb as hell, especially in the Bear McCreary version.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry for Thread Necro, but

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1402993795587735555?s=21

Tuca & Bertie season 2 starts tonight. We’ve got an “adult animation” thread for people who wanna discuss it and other currently airing TV for grown ups who like animation

Oh hell yes

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

This thread has always walked an insane tightrope of hyperbole regarding the first couple episodes.

:agreed:

It's insane how many people say not to watch the first four, even though one of them is an absolutely crucial background episode. That one gag is very family guy, but it's also one gag. First four episodes are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The The Good Place's ending was really good. Not even sure what there is to object to :shrug: