Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Holy poo poo :lol: the MSNBC muffin thing, I was thinking the dude they got to voice the host was a great impersonation of Keith Olbermann, and, well...

quote:

We had a character in Episode 2 described as a Keith Olbermann type with a whale’s head. And our casting director said, ‘What if we asked Keith Olbermann?’ And we did, and he’s great!

EDIT: :lol: x2, the scrolling bar during the live debate.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yes.

Oxyclean posted:

Someone already did this:

http://imgur.com/a/X8Ufz

Given how active the creators/marketing team/whoever has been on instagram and facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if this was being worked by an actual staffer.

Some stuff I found from the character designers and animators on tumblr (there are several of them semi-active on there): Some of the original character designs. Some doodles the animation team did whenever flash crashed.

And another. And another.

And the some of the official character design sheets.

Even the showrunner's on there, as I recall. I'll have to hunt down his url again.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Boogaleeboo posted:

You really don't have to spoil that. It either means that, or he needs to lose 50 and then put on 20 for later on in his life. Probably the muscle thing though.

It's the muscle thing.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

nooneofconsequence posted:

I thought Diane was the weakest character so hopefully she becomes more interesting in season 2.

I thought she was mostly there as a foil to anchor all the weirdness of the other characters, which is kind of necessary if you're striking the kind of balance the second half of the season was going for. Served a good purpose in that sense, and still managed to have her moments.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Naet posted:

very good :words:

I want to point out that I wasn't disagreeing with this. Just because she's a foil (and she is) doesn't diminish that there's actual characterization happening. It's more that she's the voice of sanity in comparison to the rest of the characters. She's, for lack of a better comparison, the closest thing to the audience as possible, so people saying she's dull is kind of expected. The foil always seems dull when they're surrounded by outright, batshit crazy.

What you describe is a normal, human life, even if it is surrounded by animal people (and occasionally susceptible to a bar-destroying tantrum). In the context of the show, where nearly everyone in it is a satire in and of themselves, it's going to seem almost pointless to showcase. But not to everyone.

I honestly hope she remains roughly the same type of character throughout the series, because she's absolutely necessary as a grounding element. And, again, it's doubtful that the series could have been anything other than 'Archer/Family Guy/whatever, but with occasional emotions and animal people' without her there.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Bown posted:

So far there have been jokes mixing up sofa/so far and late/latte, and two jokes about hashtags.

Come on, BoJack Horseman.

edit: three jokes about hashtags.

haha man this is soooo frustrating for me. there are jokes I find super funny (like the woman tripping over the cable as soon as Alison Brie moves away) and then other moments that are absolutely terrible (like BoJack's horrifically campy acting. I get that he's meant to be happy but why make the decision to have him therefore be so blatantly over-the-top? it's like the show's humour in microcosm; where it could be funny in a number of ways, and isn't inherently unfunny or anything, they've chosen to make it the biggest, most campy thing it could be). And all the scenes with his mum so far are again too.....obvious to work in the way the show wants them to. I can't feel anything because the show is yelling "LOOK THIS IS WHY HE IS THE WAY THAT HE IS ITS SAD" in my face. But it's still not a total write-off by any stretch of the imagination and that kinda makes it even worse.

The hashtag thing got a little old, but I disagree about the whole mom thing. The last line of the ep worked just fine for me, and overall works with the end point of S1. The show's always gone for absurd humor, and for some people it's fine. For others, obviously, not so much. I found it to be a decent mix of both.

Also the 'spooked by a plastic bag' thing in a later ep legit made me :lol:

It's always going to have gimmick animal gags, there's always going to be hammy performances, and I'm honestly kind of glad they started out with over-the-top. Assuming the season has an arc that's similar to 1 (and it kind of looks like it's going there), it allows them flexibility to narrow it down into another funny/devastating heavy hitter.

Full disclosure: I'm enjoying this season a lot so far.

But hey different strokes etc with a lemon involved, possibly.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Okay, after a second watch-through: a lot of people commented on episode 11 for obvious reasons. One thing I don't think was mentioned (and I'm too tired to browse through and see if it was) is that Bojack talks almost exclusively about his wants/needs throughout the entire episode. It's only when Sarah Lynn has her freakout that he stops pursuing the 'everything is about meeee' portion of the bender.

Puts an extra layer of 'gently caress, man, what else is there to say' over the whole thing. The whole bit with the Tesla in ep 12 is just the icing on the self-serving crapcake.

I'll have more thoughts on that when I'm more coherent, I'm sure, but I don't know that I saw the whole 'them connecting' thing that other people did. I saw him ignoring her single, decidedly mundane desire pretty blatantly. 'I get to choose the fun,' or whatever the hell the line was. The whole bender was about him, and having someone there to basically "forgive" him for doing it by being a willing participant, but it's still the exact same pattern. Even him saying I love you was wholly self-centered. And it's worth mentioning that the sentiment wasn't returned.

Man. I love this show, but on a rewatch, I really just wanted to punch the guy. 'Cause, hey, shitlord, if you'd just bothered to go to the loving planetarium in the first place...

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
efb

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 11, 2017