Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

While we're on the subject of capitalism and how it destroys everything beautiful, it's kind of interesting that for all the myriad problems the characters of this show face, a lack of money is absolutely not an issue for any of them, ever. Todd lives in a multi millionaire's house free of charge, was briefly a millionaire and has tons of people he can fall back on. Bojack's residuals are apparently bottomless. Mr. Peanut Butter being broke lasted all of one afternoon before he got a magical opportunity as he always does, and he never even had to consider selling any of his possessions. Diane lives with her incredibly successful husband and doesn't need to pay for anything herself, and she was able to just mooch off Bojack for months while she was basically homeless. Even Princess Carolyn's company folding didn't really seem to affect her standard of living, AND she started dating the heir to a multi billion dollar empire while she was at it.

I know that the show is purposefully examining the idea that fame and money can't make you happy, but at times it can also give that weird Friends vibe, where you're supposed to find these characters relatable but they live in gigantic homes and never want for anything material.

Yeah but none of them are a NYC cook in a penthouse, or a paleontologist, or...god the careers in Friends were something...

I think some of the characters are meant to be relatable, at the same time it might be a warning about following that path or getting too mired in self-pity. Needs another season before I think it would be clearer if he's ever going to change (and finds out which of his friends are in fact also before-rehab friends). If you have enough money to think the emptiness has been filled it'd be a lot harder to reverse course. It'll be interesting to see how Todd has been living and doing without bojack around.

Joey is probably the closest comparison between the shows, and I always thought he was more relatable than some of the others. The struggling actor who lives with a friend that is also a high(er) end office employee. Still too much goddamn square footage for Manhattan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The fact that she has a lot more control over this project than BH makes me feel that it’s not strange at all she would leverage her well-known art style in something like this.

Strange is probably the word that’s raising hackles, since taking time to question the motives of people who are part of groups which regularly deal with sexism and double standards is a “strange” way to spend time.

In this case. If her new show was undercutting the values of BH, i.e. irresponsible characters are celebrated and all that bad stuff, maybe it is okay to question her motives? Personal politics and how she approaches the world? In that case? Otherwise the answer is she’s a woman trying to make a living using her talents and the men all doing the same thing don’t have the institutions and their fanatic auxiliaries breathing over their shoulder while they do it.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Phenotype posted:

This was my reaction too. I've had a really stressful week and I'm sorry for being defensive and weird. I just didn't expect to get misinterpreted by twelve different people (on purpose?) and called stupid and sexist or whatever. Hawkgirl is for sure trolling and I was not in the best place for it.

I will apologize for my long windedness. The word strange was setting me off, fueled by how the word was being used in discussions elsewhere, which... has nothing to do with you.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

all the main characters kinda present a certain kind of depression or at the very least extreme struggle with themselves, and Bojack is the one who is enabled to not only set himself on fire but set a ton of other people on fire, too. The power and the protection that Hollywoo gave him helped him become his own worst enemy. Which doesn't take away his own agency in those matters. I was curious how they'd end the series in a way that didn't sort of retroactively poison going back to watch earlier episodes again, and they managed to do that. Although, I'm curious about people's thoughts on the last two episodes: namely, the heartbeat monitor and the final scene of the series being part of that sequence at the opening of the episode.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

something I notice in the series is that people gradually move from talking on their phones to much more of a social media platform pattern of interaction by the end. Like things people are calling friends about in the beginning they are posting online by the end. It's a bit of both throughout, but there is a slow shift.

e: also the first thing Bojack ever really says to Sarah Lynn off-camera is that bit about the show needing to go on and how you've gotta do it even if it hollows you out and kills you. He even says "don't stop dancing". I didn't pick up on it as a call back in the penultimate episode.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 18, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Pretty sure they nabbed him in a field, like outside at a gathering of people.

e: for being gay, of course

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I always saw the early episodes as both a mold to intentionally break out of, as well as a more comfortable place to start viewers with a new show on a relatively new platform. It’s like if a sitcom ran a few basic episodes before the structure starts to warp. The first few episodes of bojack horseman are the episodes bojack would want to show you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

So I've been doing a rewatch of some key episodes from Bojack, and I just finished watching Free Churro, and I forgot about Bojack's rant about water & drowning, I wonder if that was done on purpose to coincide with Bojack's crazy hallucination when he is drowning in his old pool.

Well there’s that scene in season 3 where Diane tells him that when he kills himself there’s going to be no one there to stop him. And they are standing by the pool.