Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked the entire season all the way through, even the more obvious moments like the animal sight gags. Generally I'm none too harsh on series' that stay consistent and flow nicely, which this definitely did.

Same here. I'm a lot more forgiving to series/movies than other people when the series tries just a little bit. Compared to the majority of bullshit on TV I don't mind a little Bojack in my life.

This is just me talking out my rear end here, but when the audiences see something game changing it can give them stupidly high standards. It's not enough that they receive a great piece of work, they have to have that work dissected and deconstructed in a way that's wholly original; as though the piece of work itself invented the concept of deconstruction. The new art can't just be entertaining on its own, it has to be innovative/challenging to the point that it makes the audience weep. This is how you get Noise Marines.

You get people saying things like: "Yeah, The Shield is good but it's not The Wire good" "Clarence is okay, but it's not Hey Arnold" "Deadspace doesn't play like Silent Hill 2, it should play more like Silent Hill 2"

They're all good! They're not bad! It's like complaining that cake doesn't taste like ice-cream. I don't know if I'm coming across right. And at the same time if we don't try to be as innovative as possible we get the same pap thrown at us over and over again. I like Bojack Horseman and didn't see a problem with it.

I guess I just get tired of people looking a gift horse in the mouth:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

The show is about running. Running from your problems. Running from your past. Moving forward with your life. Just keep moving, no matter what, even if it's not forward.

Everyone's always chasing a dream or running away from a nightmare. Responsibilities, mistakes, commitments, dreams, plans.

Season 1: Secretariat is Bojack's hero who inspired him to become an actor and became the foundation for his dream. Secretariat was also a flawed person who couldn't take the pressure and killed himself. This is where the running motif starts. Secretariat got famous for running, and it lead to his death.

Season 2: Bojack literally runs away to his past. And in the process he just affirms how broken he is as a person. A jogger goes by Bojack's house every day. Bojack wants to be a good person and he tries to start jogging while listening to motivational tapes. He stumbles and the jogger tells him, "It gets easier, but you have to do it every day."

Season 3: Bojack runs away with Sarah Lynn and finds a little peace that ends in tragedy. He runs away again and decides to kill himself while driving (running) when he stops and sees a herd running. Just a bunch of horses running like the hero who inspired him before that hero got famous.

Horses that can't run, die. Running is being alive.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

The 2007 jokes were a little much but the nostalgic part of me liked the cameo of Jorge Garcia and, well, all the other jokes as well.

I loved all those jokes. It made me briefly feel like that's how the future's going to interpret the year 2007, like how they portray the 50's in Back To The Future.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

It was really depressing, it was also pretty life affirming in a way. But I realized something today, something I think is going to make you feel a lot better. None of this matters! :v: Okay, I'll see ya later buddy!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I just realized Sarah Lynn's been along for the ride her entire life :(

As a child actress, she had no say in her career or its popularity

As a pop singer she had a lot more say in her direction, but she was just following a trend, coasting off her previous popularity like it was expected of her to still want to be famous

As a strung out addict she just went along with whatever the drugs and addiction told her

And in her final trip with Bojack she could've stopped at any moment, but they were the only ones who cared for one another so she went along for the ride of his self-destruction

Despite having everything she was always in the passenger seat.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I noticed a shout-out to the Drinky Crow Show. There's a poster for it on the wall during the reading for The Bojack Horseman Show. Only in this universe of course it looks like either a talk show or a live action dramedy.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Ernie. posted:

You mean Justin TheCrow? Sharkfin Trudeau? Trustin' Calico?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Justin Trudeer.

Justin Trudoe

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

That was the first clue, then the themesong and just, I could see some exec in the 90s going "lets make a copy of Horsin' Around and make it with the hip hop music that the kids like these days". I'd love a flashback involving Mr Peanutbutters house. It's got like a very Hangin with mr cooper/Fresh Prince vibe.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Don't forget Sister, Sister!
Urge to watch In Living Color...rising...rising...

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Phenotype posted:

I think I'm just going to make that my imaginary head-canon until S4 comes out and tells me that no, there's no happy ending after all. :(

Me too. I honestly hope the whole next season is about Ethan Around and it actually ends up being well received. I also really hope he doesn't ruin his relationship with his daughter somehow, but I think we all know how that's going to go :(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

DivisionPost posted:

Hey guys, you're clear to talk without spoiler tags; 72 hours are up.

I can't believe character actress Margot Martindale is loving dead. missing after a horrible pasta-related mishap.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

WrathOfBlade posted:

On the lighter side - still reeling from the audacity and brilliance of dedicating a full episode to a 2007 Period Satire. That might be my favorite episode from the whole season.

That episode was un-Biel-ievable

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Jeep posted:

I was constantly worried he was going to get up to some shady poo poo and pull one over on PC, so I don't think I could appreciate him during my first watch. I think it speaks to the show's quality that there was no dumb machiavellian sub-plot though.

I was appreciative of that too. Some people just really love their little jobs and try to make it day-to-day without the ambition of Richard III. Anything more than that for him at least would've felt contrived.

One thing I appreciate about the show (and I'm not sure it's intended this way) is that the extremes of the cartoon comedy side of the series go to Todd (and sometimes Mr Peanutbutter) while everybody else (for the most part) deals with somewhat realistic scenarios. It's like Todd and PB siphon off the Wacky so the rest of the cast can be more grounded in reality (as grounded as you can be in celebrity drama over muffin-dibs of returning soldiers and two-kids-in-a-trenchcoat getting in a serious relationship with a woman in her 40s).

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I imagine that it came from a "Do the Bartman" style music video.

Rick&Morty and Bojack Horseman have even more in common now and it's pretty great

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Profondo Rosso posted:

man its kinda amazing/pathetic how emotional a cartoon about a cartoon horse makes me

Something about cartoon horses man, really digs deep and teaches you lessons in a way you can really relate...uh, as in Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

edit: clever harmless joking aside Netflix will also be picking up a TV series based on Spirit called Spirit Riding Free in 2017, produced by Dreamworks Animation. Meaning Netflix will have two drama oriented cartoon horse shows under its belt.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 28, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

i am the bird posted:

I just put it together that Secretariat took performance enhancing drugs to win and BoJack used performance enhancing CGI in his quest for the Oscar.

I made the same mistake before, but Secretariat's problem was that he betted on his own races.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

To be fair, there's so many drugs in this series to begin with

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of music, what was that song that played after Todd and Emily practiced kissing? It's short and ends with the words YUM YUM as it transitions to another scene. It's inexplicably gotten stuck in my head.

Google is being helpful by suggesting I watch 1976 film The Yum Yum Girls or listen to Ludacris's Blueberry Yum Yum.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I actually do think a split narrative between Bojack trying to live a new life in the desert and the rest of the characters in Hollywoo would be great.

The characters could change without Bojack, while Bojack realizes the way he treats people is wrong when he starts to understand how much everyone has to deal with his bullshit all the time because he misses their helping him.

It'd be a cool direction to take it.

It'd also be neat if he comes back from wandering the desert looking like Jim Carrey from the 1999 MTV Awards, strung out after getting high on life.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Dolash posted:

If they want to split up Bojack and his supporting cast they should have a clear goal behind doing so and still tie everyone's arc together somehow.

Yeah there'd definitely need to be a shift to another character to 'be' the Bojack. Most likely it'd be Diane. It's funny, you think when the show first starts that she's going to be the infallible straight-man who's too cool and logical for everyone's poo poo but she ends up being just as lost and troubled as everyone else.

Dolash posted:

their relationship was just two bummed out people dragging each other down. There was that bit this season where one of her old friends asked her why she went to him instead of one of her other friends and she dodged the issue, but I think that's as simple as all her other friends would've pushed her to do the right thing whereas she knew staying with Bojack would let her wallow in her misery.

Ouch. :( I just realized me and one of my best friends have that sort of relationship. Even during the hiatus you're still finding ways to hurt me Will Arnett.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I think the only point to it was to show continuity between episodes. Diane has a broken wrist that slowly heals every week but Todd always has the same amount of stubble ala Jack from :lost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVTlKCdSye8 The show's intro with the outro song dubbed over it, I'm kind of glad they didn't actually do it this way.

I love the intro more than any other out there right now, but that outro music really does fit