Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My favorite part of this show was that there are zero actual animals in this world. I understood immediately that we had humanoid dogs and horses, but then we started getting crayfish, chameleons, and mosquitoes.

My favorite sringle part of the show was Stephen Colbert's "fascinating" when confronted with Jerry Maguire facts. Did he think that was the real Bojack? Did he know it was cardboard cut out, but responded politely anyway? The character was so simultaneously alert yet oblivious that we just can't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

After browsing youtube I have concluded that Cats is even more embarrassing than I originally thought it was.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm not sure if this is old news, but there's a Christmas special on Netflix.

I didn't know about it. Totally watching this tonight.

I'd love it if Bojack Horseman became some sort of unofficial mascot for Netflix, ans tarted having more specials and made actual announcements for them and such.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Finished it. I'd say it's right up there with season 1. The only difference is that this didn't have any scenes as good the network executive talking Bojack into staying on the show when they fired Herb, or a scene as good as Herb turning down Bojack's apology. But they sure as hell came close. I'm very happy with how solid this show stayed in season 2.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I watched all of Season 1 and definitely didn't like it as much as a lot of people. I thought there were basically 3-4 good episodes in the whole season. Is season 2 more of the same?

Yes. A little tighter in some places, a little looser in some places; but it evens out to being just like season 1. You'd probably have the exact same reaction to season 2.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

i am the bird posted:

Reviews are starting to come in and they are good good good.

Spoilers for episode descriptions within:
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/bojack-horseman-review-season-3-will-arnett-1201705194/

The fourth episode sounds loving incredible.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/13/bojack-horseman-season-3-review

Both reviews heap loads of praise on the show for perhaps becoming the model for telling stories in a streaming, binge-worthy format.

So loving excited. Nine days, y'all.

edit: another review https://www.list.co.uk/article/82182-tv-review-bojack-horseman-season-3-netflix/

The one frequent critique I heard from last season was that Todd kind of stalled out as a character, but it sounds like he's getting legitimate storylines in Season 3.

Not reading any of that. Imagine reading even one sentence about the Herb Kazzaz meeting before seeing it. Nope.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I was hoping that when Bojack pressed the gas and closed his eyes that the Tesla's automated system would have taken over and make him realize that if he wants to die he's going to have to do it himself and not rely on fate.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Asema posted:

I'm pretty sure the closer is his mom

The closer was just a way to get a therapist episode in without being as lazy as having a therapist episode. The Closer was voiced by Candice Bergen. Bojack's mother is voiced by Wende Malick.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

While Sarah Lynn will show up as Sabrina on Horsin' Around clips, I hope she also pops up as a vision caused by Bojack's guilt and poo poo. I just don't want to lose that much Kristen Schaal.

Please, no. Visions of guilt are the worst story mechanic. Nobody actually sees visions of people out of guilt.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hollismason posted:

The ending lyrics to the flashback episode 07 aren't getting enough love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGtVDQNzuxY

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I barely paid attention because I was busy hating myself. I love the detail in this show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

prefect posted:

Just watched the first half-dozen or so episodes from season one, and I still think people who say the show wasn't any good until after those is just plain wrong.

I found the first episode to both be trying too hard and also very lazy. I think Todd selling meth was them toying with going to a shock humor format, and the exposition of "I'm not only your girlfriend, I'm also your agent" set me up for a show that was going to treat me like I was stupid.

Maybe I was just weary for the next couple of episodes because of the terrible first episode, but I didn't really start liking it until halfway through.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

coyo7e posted:

drat, :effort: much?

I'd really expect a troll to at least be subtle - or maybe just funny?

You caught me. Guess I won't be causing any mischief today.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder what's up with Judah. Why doesn't he tell Princess Carolyn about the merger offer? I mean, he owns a stake in her firm, but he just watches it all burn down instead of telling her. Is he incredibly unselfish and letting it go because he can see the stress is killing her?

I don't remember the specifics that you are talking about, but I think that the Judah character was named after and has mannerisms of a traitor so that it is actually a plot twist when he always does the selfless thing. So, probably.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I still watch UKS just because it has hilarious one-off jokes every once in a while. The plot and the characters are meaningless to me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Data Graham posted:

S3 BJH > S2 UKS > S2 BCS > S1 TNG

Sara Lynne's death pulls a lot of weight with you, I see.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

During episode 7, I actually found it pretty touching when Diane wrote Bojack's confession into the show. I thought she was giving him an excuse for that being on a recording so when it comes out, he can just claim it was chopped from existing footage or him practicing his lines for INT SUB.

Related to that: does anyone remember how that became recorded, or have we not seen that happen?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

LeJackal posted:

Really? A lot of people, and I think rightly, believe that was about the meanest thing Diane could do. Instead of being an open and welcoming friend and allowing Bojack to approach her to discuss it as his pace, when he felt ready, Diane forced the confrontation. Not only that, but she then tried to frame her suspicions and assumptions as reality, and act entitled to judge Bojack. It was mean as hell, and extremely harmful emotionally.

But it also exculpates him if the tape is released.

I thought she did it because she saw an opportunity to help him while also punishing him for what he did. And that she pushed the topic later because she's now culpable for helping him. I see it as her taking it upon herself to save her friend when the opportunity arose, before even knowing if he deserved to be saved or not. I don't know if that's what it's meant to be, but that's how I took it.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 18, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

About the end of the season: I think one of the big depressing moments for season 6 will be Bojack realizing that there is no silver bullet to fix himself, and his last resort won't work since rehab clinics are scams that only exist to extract the last bit of cash out of desperate people's families before they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm probably gonna get jumped on for this one, but I think the funeral episode was flat and uninteresting. Nothing new was gleaned from it and it just had this super try hard feeling about it that didn't land for me. I actually caught myself playing with my phone part way through it which has never happened in this show for me before.

I completely agree. It was all stuff we already knew, feelings we've already explored. About 6 minutes in I was dreading that this might be the entire episode, and that I'd have to pay attention to it in case anything from it mattered later.