Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I see it being resolved with BoJack on the phone saying "I hosed up..." when it should be Diane. Because of course it's going to be BoJack it makes sense, and it's who you initially blame instead of the writers. They'll probably never circle back to Diane,. This is totally going to blow up next season, there is no way that poo poo doesn't get brought out to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

That's a really big age difference. Also he was attempting to date her mother earlier. It's extremely creepy to just to her daughter next.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

I always thought horses and birds were different :shrug:

Explain hippogriffs then

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Are you an idiot? It's either that or this is entirely a bad faith argument. Take your pick. But don't loving tell me I'm prejudiced against someone I didn't even know existed just because I said it seemed "a little strange" to me.

I'll spell it out for you really simply:

Simpsons: Family setting in modern day
Futurama: Looks the same, set in a planet-hopping future setting. There is no way for Fry to possibly meet Homer.
Enchantment: Looks the same, set in a magical fantasy land. (Sucks.) There is no way for Homer/Fry to possibly meet Bean.

Family Guy: Family setting in modern day.
Cleveland Show: Looks the same, same modern day setting, same universe. Cleveland and Peter are friends.
American Dad: Looks entirely different, family setting in modern day. You don't expect them to be related because the art doesn't match.

Bojack: Human-like animals in a modern day setting
New show: Looks the same, human-like animals in a modern day setting, different universe for some reason. Bojack could walk in the door without anything looking out of place.

I'm not sure why this is such a controversial opinion. I haven't said a thing about the potential quality of the show, I've even said I'm looking forward to it. I just said it seems strange that they're reusing the art style and the somewhat novel setting without making them related shows. They didn't pretend Frasier was entirely different than Cheers when they wanted to use the character and the actor again.

I'd say the people being yellow in the Simpsons is fairly unique and sets it apart from Futurama / Disenchantment I never questioned if the Simpsons was in the same universe as Futurama. People questioned if Futurama was set in the same universe as Disenchantment.

This really is nothing new, there's nothing wrong with asking the question "Hey this looks like this might be the same universe is it?" The answer is they are not intended to be in the same universe. Great. When I first saw it I was hoping for Bojack Universe small stories about normal people. Really though it doesn't matter too much if they are separate universes since the scope is unlikely to have any characters be close enough to each other to interact ever. Having 2 BoJack shows with "cross over episodes" every season would be the show becoming everything its mocking.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

prefect posted:

I'm pretty sure that's something concocted by a vandal or a particularly nasty troll.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsorama

Bender is consistently in the basement of the Simpsons house now.

Honestly I don't blame you if you didn't see this episode because why are you watching the Simpsons still? I know I question why I bother.

It's a pretty decent episode if you like Futurama it's worth watching.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Entropic posted:

It's weird for another show designed by the same artist to have the same art style? Did people give Matt Groening this much poo poo about everything he did since The Simpsons?

Did you miss the entire internet convinced Bender was going to show up in Disenchantment? People are still convinced it's actually Futurama in disguise somehow. I have a coworker obsessed with comparing the characters and the moldy bread that's basically LSD, he thinks it's an acid trip and they are going to reboot Futurama. So yes people did post about it, a lot. I don't think anyone was confused about Simpsons and Futurama most people see them as completely different art styles mostly due to the yellow people.

edit: woops left out the part in italics

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

some kind of bug posted:

The styles aren’t even as similar as Family Guy and American Dad are. The colors are all flat on this show instead of watercolor textured, and there was a far shot of the town towards the end of the trailer that looks more hyperstylized than Bojack gets. I think it would be more jarring for Bojack to pop up in this show than it would be for Peter to visit Mr. Dad. Shut up now

I think you mean Stan Smith, who works for Patrick Stewart at the CIA.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I kind of get the complaint. It’s not about the art style but rather specifically the fact that they are animal people. This is a big part of the charm and uniqueness of BoJack and one of the things that sets it apart from other adult animated shows. A second show about depressed animal people is more along the lines of Matt Groening making another show about the year 3000 after Futurama than just applying his character style.

This might nail it down it removes some of what make BoJack unique. They didn't seem all that depressed though, it felt more like Aggretsuko from the trailer. Just a slice of life story.

I don't get why people are so angry about it being this though. I certainly felt it was going to be BoJack related until I finished the trailer, it's a completely different feel. This is fine.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SimonChris posted:

The show has audio description commentary, where a narrator describes everything that happens. You can listen to the whole thing as a podcast if you wish.

Large red N centered on the screen explodes into colors, shows theme song starts to play (I've somehow turned on the visual impaired option a few times and the description of the netflix logo is always funny)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

remember when this show was funny?

I was wondering what was going on after the first few episodes then looked it up and it's the final season and it all makes sense now.

This season is saying good bye to the characters and not leaving the show as a glorification of drug and alcohol abuse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Anything with Todd is comedy gold, I would watch a Todd spin off.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The full circle ending: The final shot of the final episode is that new horse actor taking his first drink of alcohol to deal with the pressure of the role.

"what's the worst that can happen" *drink* *fade to black*

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I like shows that end in 8 seasons or less. Any more tends to get unwieldy in a rewatch and hard to get new people into years later.

BoJack could have made a full 8, but this is better than Bojack season 12, um hes going to Toyko because we ran out of ideas.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

BoJack will become a lumberjack in the final episode

Be more fitting if he took up the old family business and makes sugar by buying the company back by selling all his positions and taking out a loan. It would actually make sense in a way, unlike the show you are referencing where the character becoming a lumberjack did not make a hell of a lot of sense.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

crazy cloud posted:

I never understand this poo poo. Watch the show in order, what the hell

Generally you know someone that would like the show, and they think they would like it but they cannot get past the first few episodes. Bojack does shift a bit but there's several shows where the first season is pretty different from the rest of the show and it's best to toss out "hey I know you didn't like the first 2 episodes but the show really changes if you want to give it another go watch season 2 episode 27 if you don't like that you wont like the show at all"

The monologue episode would not be a good choice for that. I really can't think of a good example episode that wouldn't require watching a few others for Bojack but I'm not sure it really needs it. Maybe ask them what they think they would like about the show and work from there?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

No Wave posted:

Todd is the skyler of the show anyways. Repeated sequences where they live in the same house with the main character and tell them they're a bad person over and over but the narrative kind of goes nowhere with it and you want the scene to end so we can move on to things happening.

But Todd goes on fun and wacky adventures all the time! Todd is the best character in the entire show.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Doctor Reynolds posted:

yeah just start at act 3, that's where all cool fistfights with the big laser happen

Depends on if it's a drama or a comedy really.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Parks and Rec is a bit of a documentary of working for a municipality. I did IT for one while it was airing and it was pretty spot on about how dumb the politics are and how slow absolutely everything moves. The only unrealistic bit is that the pit actually was dealt with at all. So start at season 2 for a rewatch of Parks and Rec?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Is melt head how you describe someone that says "checkbox" when you ask them what their drug of choice is?

I think the show is far more about depression than drug abuse.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I do it in the shower so I can't tell if I'm crying.

but you are supposed to use the tears as a lubricant

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BoJack has clearly been reading this thread

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If that tweet is anything to go by Vincent is going to die and be buried on a hill, BoJack will then die on the grave of a man who looks suspiciously like three kids.

Due to the nature of his death they cannot remove the trenchcoat and it remains unclear just how many people he is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If we are going to actually see BoJack's death the best way would be another monologue. BoJacks monologue at this mother's funeral is one of the best episodes. Todd could be much older with a picture of old BoJack and give a nice monologue of some crazy ideas the writers never got to some stuff we did, maybe include some additional details. Could even just be Todd in the room with no one else if you want to hint at a dark ending.

I don't think you can really end this without BoJack being dead, but I also think leaving it a mystery if he ever did figure his poo poo out is for the best. This ending in suicide would be a pretty lovely message to send. It basically says some people are just broken and should kill themselves. He's also done some really terrible poo poo.

literally retreading the funeral monologue would be a bit repetitive and weaken the previous episode but something to a similar effect with a questionable narrator like Todd just feels like the ending.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

CoolCab posted:

no his mother bought it previously iirc - she bought it for bojack to lose weight some point in the relatively distant past. he comments something like "where did you dig that up?" and diet pills haven't had real amphetamine in them for a long rear end time. that was always my read.

This, I took it as BoJack never threw them out and never questioned what was in them because they were diet pills his mom gave him. It can probably be seen as a reflection on his view of his mother. She's toxic but it's his mom he can't just throw her out. Might be pulling at nothing though he kind of did leave her to rot in a nursing home, was that because of the diet pills? I'm not sure where she was before that episodes it's been a few years.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah I'm not going to try and change the thread's opinion on the matter everybody seems to be in the same camp, it just felt kind of cheap to me. If you want him alive at the end of the story fine, just don't do the played out flatline episode ending then next episode starts with beeping heart monitor. It took what was a pretty powerful episode and immediately turned into a groan.

just....him on the phone, deciding to actually listen to someone talk, as the blackness was enveloping him... it as so loving good. God drat that was perfect.

It was a fantastic ending, and was probably written as a possible ending. They included it because it was just too drat good. If that had actually been the final episode it would send a horrifying message to anyone that identified as BoJack. It probably should have ended with a credit fake out followed by him waking up saying gently caress and resuming the credits instead of saving it for the next episode. It's also a Netflix show and they know drat well no one is watching that without watching the finale right after anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ironslave posted:

The flatline resumes beeping during the credits. Nearly everyone missed it due to Netflix auto-advancing to the next episode.

It's released on Netflix they should have handled this better, a fake credits followed by a pull back followed by real credits would have let Netflix servers know to handle that. How do you not test default settings on the only platform you are releasing on?

Either way I saw there was another episode and knew it wasn't going to be BoJack's funeral the show was too good about not being a trope to do that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tulip posted:

Probably the weakest finale Bojack has done, and maybe the weakest overall season so far. Much of the runtime felt flat and directionless. Not offensively bad, just dim and hollow compared to previous seasons.

You are clearly getting something else out of the show than I did, because this was probably the best way the show could have ended.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pixaal fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 5, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

It depends on the evidence. If the victim doesn’t want to testify, and there isn’t enough evidence without that testimony, the state usually isn’t going to force the issue, and will probably not be able to proceed.

There's also civil charges, which is when you go after them for monetary damages. I'm fairly certain the police cannot force you to sue the person for damages.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Tulip posted:

I mean it's super definitely not supermax. Supermax inmates don't get to put on plays. It looked like medium to me but I could believe it was a min.

Also kind of absurd that he'd have the level of infamy where they can't pull off jury selection. That's...deeply unlikely.

This is the stuff that makes the "this is his brain seizuring while he drowns" feel more credible to me. The timeline and effects follow more dream logic than real logic. Bojack would think he was too special to go to regular prison.

Remember when Todd got arrested? He went to a Supermax prison. The writers don't care about being accurate there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Todd is comic relief from the drama. The entire universe in the show basically treats his actions as silly cartoon antics that have no real consequence and everything goes back to how it was before he did any of it after the credits roll. But just Todd, everyone else has to live with their mistakes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Android Blues posted:

I feel like Bojack would need to surpass his low watermark to successfully make Mr. Peanutbutter feel betrayed by him. The man is so absurdly happy-go-lucky that you could burn down his house and he'd accept it as a misunderstanding.

Well yeah, who could hate Mr Peanutbutter? There's no way it would be intentional, and even if it was I'm sure there'd be a good reason.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

christmas boots posted:

BoJack did give him a crossover episode

Well, he is a good boy

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mr is a good boy, I don't think anyone could call BoJack a good boy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Literally from the episode in question:

Also, we meet Diane's family in season one, and they are in fact pretty horrible to her.

I think that's the point, that's really not all that bad of a thing to do to someone. Yes it's being a jerk, but it's not like they locked her out or anything. It's just cheating a bit at a game I'm sure everyone has a story of a family member cheating at a board game.

That said I'm pretty sure the dad was involved in the entire penpal fake boyfriend thing, which was a pretty hosed up thing to do. Still if that's the worst, nothing damaging enough to make someone actually buy and read the book. Her lovely dad is best delt with exactly like the show did, make a side character that grew up so that people know they aren't alone and it's common. It's not good, and people deserve better, but no one is going to pay to read about it, they lived it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Android Blues posted:

He didn't cheat, he told her, "hey Deedee, you have to lose this board game on purpose because you're a dumb girl and your brothers need to know that they're smarter than women". That's messed up! Like, the stakes are low, but the psychological impact is serious.

I'm not saying it isn't traumatic, I'm saying her trauma would not make an interesting book. It doesn't make it any less bad, maybe there are somethings we don't know about. But from what we were shown her home life was pretty standard abuse. If someone's dad beat them with a belt every day and did absolutely nothing else to the person, it would not be an interesting book. It would be a horrible upbringing but that's not what we are talking about.

We are talking about if her book would have been an interesting read.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The only way it's still Hollywoo is if Bojack really was dead the whole last episode.

It's Hollywoo for most of the show, therefor it's forever Hollywoo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

I guess she’s a bit of a cougar

more of a dish cat

she's pink though so maybe part panther?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Its hollywomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The episode takes place in BoJack's head it doesn't matter BoJack's mental construct of him wrote it.