Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Starting a month before season 6 was announced and then reading through the better chunk of a decade of posts here saying, "I think Bojack's gonna take up running and get better next season!" was a fun ride.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah I pretty much did this and it owned.

Same here. So glad I did, what a great show. Though I wish I started earlier, this thread elevated my appreciation.

A few months before I started, I threw out a bunch of notebooks and papers from when I was younger. When I saw "Good Damage", I was floored. My situation wasn't exactly like Diane's, but back then I would write about my own life and struggles as a way to practice long-form writing. Some of it was helpful in the past, but most wasn't and I carried those old notebooks with me through moves, jobs, relationships. I was carrying literal and figurative baggage and realized I was way late on moving on.

"Good Damage" and "Stupid Piece of poo poo" both really struck me. Later I realized that their devices closely matched the short story "Good Old Neon" by David Foster Wallace, one of my all time favorites. The point of this post is to recommend that story for anybody that really clicked with those two episodes. The resemblance is undeniable. I wonder if the writers were inspired by it*. I would not call it a homage though, because the themes of all three media are just what goes on in the heads of manic people crippled by self-doubt, who can't get out of their own way, who are hobbled by a "vicious infinite regress" of ill thoughts.

*Some showrunners were familiar with DFW because his non-fiction book "Consider the Lobster" appears in PC's office throughout the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU