Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This has a lot of the cool surreal Bojack stuff Incorporated into it but played straight and integrated really well.

Also they dance differently in each opening, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I thought the intro was good in its own ways, but several acquaintances were turned off before they got very far in during the trash picking parts, and stopped watching there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So my spouse and I love Bojack and tried Tuca & Bertie last night.

Is it largely an experiment in animation and sound design? Because we got maybe ten minutes into it before it became unbearable. We could not figure out what was going on. At all.

Some friends of mine bounced off the first five or ten minutes hard, but tried again later and crushed through the whole season once they got into it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you like yours? I've seen them and can't decide if they seem cool or stupid.

I thought they were stupid until I started making enough "fried" food for a small group in ten minutes without any mess or effort or preheating.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

It popped up pretty aggressively for me, maybe none of you are watching Nailed It and British Baking Show.

Plenty of that plus originals, and I still had to go hunt for it. It kept pushing Aggretsuko though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

This important part is the lovely thing happened because of purely capitalistic reasons rather than someones feelings getting hurt

Bojack is, in part, about lovely things happening because someone's feelings got hurt

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Literally could have had the Bojack Twitter say a little birdy told him about a new show and other bad puns

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I think they just thought those names were funny.

Which is correct of course

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bojack becoming actually a better-adjusted individual, actually-friends with Mr. PB, and then dealing with the latter having trouble would probably still be good television

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah he should i dunno... sail Escape From LA into a hurricane or something so that everyone thinks he's dead and then retire to alaska to be a lumberjack

Cabin in Vermont maybe

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Keep watching.

This is what happened when I went to watch "just the first episode" as it turns out. And I feel like I'm going to need to watch it all again.

That final party, though. I thought he looked and sounded familiar but couldn't place it for a bit.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

No Wave posted:

Also was that pig reporter character just a His Girl Friday parody that missed the mark? or is there some other source material i'm missing?

There's a "His Squirrel Friday" poster in the background during several scenes so maybe not

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

SimonChris posted:

The show has audio description commentary, where a narrator describes everything that happens. You can listen to the whole thing as a podcast if you wish.

By the way, this is the only way to truly enjoy Law & Order. The narrator adds a certain something you're missing out on otherwise.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It ended pretty much perfectly or as perfectly as I could've hoped. And somehow avoided a lot of pitfalls and missteps they would've been easy to make. That "somehow" is a drat fine set of talent behind the show.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The quirky old-timey reporter duo needs to be silly and non-malevolent (unlike, say, the bird photographer duo) because there can't be much room to dislike them or brush them off as "being mean." Even though they're effectively the grim reaper for Bojack, an effective metaphor and vehicle for the past catching up with him. As is deserved.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I think, pretty much, everybody left gets what they deserve. Even the executive who perhaps "won" but can't actually properly appreciate what she has in the end. And Bojack didn't deserve to die by suicide. This doesn't mean everybody is guaranteed a perfect happy conclusion or even a conclusion.

Also during the opening for this back half, Bojack is preparing to explain what acting is and it's literally what he's doing through that and several more episodes; he's indeed acting, he's playing a part, he's rehearsing his script, he studied how to fulfill his rugby fan role, he's going over how to design and explain and ultimately market what happened at the observatory..

He finally literally stops acting like he's always the good guy (what he was always convinced of as reflected so far in life/work) which is a big step away from the narcissism.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

The penultimate episode being with the people who are dead that he needs to make peace with

I don't think he ever personally knew at least two of them

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Vietnamwees posted:

Wait, MPBJ is a good boy, or Bojack is a good boy?

Also, for everyone that says Todd is just a fun-loving guy that just keeps falling into ridiculous situations, he's still holding onto the things that Bojack had done to him, as seen in the episode where Bojack is writing out all the things that people have against him, Todd adds in a bunch of stuff that Bojack did to him personally, just in a different color so it really stands out.

They wrote in their coat colors

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Todd, yes, but it was just a coincidence.

Remember that her coat has changed, just as she has. It could be a coincidence, still, but it's easy to give them credit for it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Crazy Ex Girlfriend goes way more into that kind of subject if you're looking for shows that do

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It's pretty fitting that the show not-about crippling depression managed to pull out a hopeful resolution, this is some happy news

:stoked:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pararoid posted:

For example, what did that old fashioned pig add, like at all?

You mean the jovial grim reaper trailing just a half-step behind Bojack (who thought his past was behind him) having gotten closer with every episode? Sorry if that did nothing for you.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought their old timey manner of speak and of dress was a long-form joke about "the past" coming back to bite you on the rear end

Had a thing about this half written but got distracted, this is it. It's a neat and very literal on-the-pig-nose metaphor for a not-actually-harmless, cheeky, and fun Hollywoo past catching up to him with actual consequences.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Master Twig posted:

I don't care if the animation looks bad. I love Tuca and Bertie for its writing and characters and overall charm, not because of how it looks.

Agreed with this. "Two kinds of oven fries" still lands perfectly even if you can't see him holding up the bags.

(But it's just a promo piece and I still like it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Meanwhile, I'm over here quoting Speckle about having two kinds of oven fries, and can't wait for the next bit.