Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Sylphid posted:

Not that anyone is surprised I'm stupid, but it's not now. After I posted the last update I was wondering if I missed a Logy-Lucille scene, and it turns out I was. I went back and replaced this update's Logy-Lucille scene with the right scene, where Logy actually does make the proposal that she follows up on.

I got your back, bro. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXI: The Grateful Traveler and Medic

Whew...

Whew...

Are you as tired as I am, Escha?

Maybe even more... Let's just get our report to Solle as fast as we can. I finished the report while we were flying back.

This is the end of the mystery of the Unexplored Ruins, but it's a big world out there. I'm sure there's a lot left for us to discover.

Y-Yes...! What can I do for you? I believe all necessary documents have been processed on schedule. Is something wrong...?

No, I was just wondering... If you'd care to join me...for a meal.

You want to have lunch with me? Um, w-well, I...

Mr. Solle, do you think you could take a look at these documents for me?

Huh? Were you in the middle of something? Maybe we should come back later...

Oh, I should look at these immediately! Oh dear, it appears I have quite a bit of work to do. I'm terribly sorry, but I have to take care of this.

...I see. I suppose I'll go have lunch on my own, in that case.

Really? I was afraid we'd barged in at the wrong moment.

Yes, the thing is... Ever since I went to dinner with him once, he's been pestering me to go out lately. I wonder what caused his recent change of heart... But his surprise visits are bad for my health.

Oh, really? I didn't know that's what was going on. That sounds great!

Um, I don't think it's all rainbows and butterflies.

Huh? What do you mean, Logy?

I happened to bump into them while they were having dinner.

I'm still grateful to you for that, Mr. Logy.

Wh-Why do you look so down, too, Logy?

I mean, he's your father. Why can't you just have a meal together? Who knows, maybe you'll get used to it.

How can I possibly eat comfortably in the same space with that man...? Ah, this won't do... Please revise the areas I've checked, and submit this form once more.

Oh, no! ...But, someone with delicate nerves couldn't possibly mark us off so quickly.

That's that, and this is this. I must ensure that my work image is properly maintained.

Yeah, you say that, but from that dinner i saw, I think you're having a very hard time keeping them apart.

...Well, you've sure learned to speak up.

But, I think the Branch Manager would be sad to be treated that way by his own son... The next time he invites you out to lunch, you're not allowed to turn him down! You got that?

...I will do my best. I try to tell myself that it is indeed a good opportunity. B-But, I just need a little more time. I have to prepare myself mentally for these get-togethers.

Anyway, Escha, why don't you fix those mistakes?

I still can't believe I made those mistakes... I've done these reports before.

It's nothing to get upset about. We all make mistakes every now and then.

I know, I know...

Hey, you're not at the bar today? That's rare... Is something on your mind?

Something like that. Now that I've struck it big, I'm tryin' to decide what I should do next. There are quite a few ruins in the area, so I think I could do the rounds relatively quickly. I mean, I doubt I'll get a haul that big ever again, so... Maybe it's time I settled down somewhere.

You want to live in Colseit...? That doesn't suit you, somehow.

Tch... Words can hurt, y'know? Are you sayin' I'll always be a rollin' stone, getting no moss?

That's not what I said... It's just always give the impression you'd always be chasing treasure.

Still, I do give a lot of thought on how I spend my money, y'know? Maybe I should go all-in and buy a blimp... Or buy a nice mansion...or hire some girls and open a bar.

You mean you seriously haven't decided what to do? I thought you'd already executed your master plan.

About that... Truth is, I really haven't decided on how to spend all this money yet.

Are you kidding? After cutting all these corners, you mean you have no idea what to do with your money?

So, I ran away, taking with me nothing but a single loaf of bread that I managed to steal.

Wh-What's this all of a sudden? Is that true?

Yeah, it is. So from there, I lived a desperate life. Hiding in the mountains, hunting game to eat... I was like a wild dog. One day I was so hungry I couldn't even move. A gentleman happened by... He was kind enough to share his food with me, and that was when I met my treasure hunting master.

I see... And that's when it all began for you.

I promised to become rich, and show everyone in my village a different life. I promised that to my master. Guess what he did then? He punched me right in the jaw. "What kind of boring dream is that?" he asked me. He taught me that I should buy my own dreams with my own money once I grew into a real treasure hunter. Since then, I've been searching for that dream. Something that'd be worthy of all the work I'd put in.

...And that dream is to buy a mansion in this town?

That's the only thing that comes to mind right now. Do you think that sort of things suits me?

...Actually, it doesn't.

I was hoping you'd say that. Anyway, if I keep hunting for treasure, I know it'll come to me. I'm gonna continue searching for that dream! Big treasure... Big dreams!

Heh, I hope you find that dream you're looking for.

Chasing my dreams, huh...

That's an odd look for Linca... What's wrong, Linca? You're standing around with a blank look on your face.

Oh, it's you, Logy. Good timing, I have something to ask of you. I want you to listen to the story of my past.

I don't mind, but this sure is sudden. Does it have something to do with the other Linca we met?

Yes. And I want you to keep this story secret from Escha. If Escha heard this, she would hate me...

I'm sure you're worrying too much. I know Escha would understand. But, if you don't want me to tell her, then I won't.

Thank you, Logy.

I listened to the people who raised me, and together with the other Lincas...

...That doesn't sound like you were simply a mischievious kid.

Indeed. However, eventually we got lost, and most of us were captured, along with those who raised us. The person who saved me was one of my enemies at the time: Marion.

Well, that sounds like a good story. So that's why you feel like you need to repay Marion...

No, that's not all. One day, I happened to overhear something. Marion had had an argument with her superior and tried to defend me. She ended up getting demoted.

Really... So that's why she was sent to the frontier...

My organization was destroyed, but many Lincas managed to escape captivity from Central City. I know of at least eight of us, including myself. I don't know where most of them are.

Eight? Why are there so many...?

I haven't been thinking about their lives...just fighting off any Lincas who attack.

There's a whole lot of weirdness going on here. But I can tell you one thing. It's only natural that you would lead a different life. Cursing your blessings keeps you from moving on. I don't think there's any reason for you to be so afraid to live. Live your own life, Linca.

Is it really okay to do as I please...? I feel like I rely too much on the sympathy of others.

I think you already made your decision, when you refused to go with the other Linca.

i see... Maybe I already have.

(At least eight Lincas... And they all look exactly the same. How does something like that happen in the first place? Unless she's... No, couldn't be. No use thinking about it.)

*Sigh* I wonder if this will be okay...

C'mon, what's that sigh for?

O-Oh, Mr. Logy...! I'm sorry!

Why are you apologizing to me? Go ahead and tell me what's the matter.

Oh, right... Actually, it's about my parents.

I thought we'd already laid that problem to rest...

Yes, well, there's actually another little problem with that...

*Sigh* And now what's wrong?

I've been telling them how much fun I've been having at work in my letters to them. But then, finally...

"Finally..."?

Wha-!? But how!?

It sounded like I wasn't going to come home for a long time, and my father collapsed from loneliness.

From loneli--wow. So what's the situation right now?

My mother wrote to me, and said that my father wrote all those letters because he missed me. And that all my letters saying how much I liked it here made him think I was never coming home, and...

Uh... There's not much we can really do about that, is there? I mean, you're working with us now.

I know, and this is something he agreed to before, so even if he's telling me this now, it's awful. So, um... What do you think I should say in my letters? I can't come up with anything good.

Well, the bottom line is that you're not getting any more letters of protest. Maybe you can just stop?

Honestly, I don't think anything's going to work at this point. You might as well stop talking to him.

I can't do that! It's not like we got into a fight or anything.

Oh, suit yourselves.

Oh, no... Mr. Logy! How can you be so heartless!? You're going to abandon me!?

Wha--!? N-No, this isn't what's going on... You've got it all wrong!

He's not picking on me... But I have a problem, and he doesn't want to help me with it... Please don't desert me... Let me pick your brain! Mr. Logyyyyyyy...!

Aaaargh, it's not fair! How come she's always running to YOU for help, Logy!?

Please... Give me a break... More importantly, did you fix the report, Escha?

Yes, but that's not important right now! Lucille, Logy, come with me!

Wha--!? Where are you taking me?

Marion wanted us!

(I've never seen Escha like this...)

...Wait, from Central City? Why would they send a request to us all the way out here?

Um, please allow me to explain that.

Huh? You're in charge of this meeting, Lucille? What's going on here?

My family lives in the Business District in Central. We're in distribution, and own the Ernella Company.

The Ernella Company? The one that specializes in pharmaceuticals? Are you kidding?

Wow... Lucille Ernella, from THE Ernellas... Why did I realize it sooner? Your family is loaded!

Um... I don't really know what's going on, but I guess Lucille's family is really really rich?

"Rich" doesn't begin to describe them. But what's a wealthy heiress doing all the way out in Colseit?

I was being selfish, and asked to be stationed as far from Central City as I could. If I go somewhere where the company has influence, nobody wants to let me do any real work...

I see... You could have told us sooner.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hide it from you guys or anything...

I kind of understand how you feel. If I knew that from the start, I'd probably treat you differently...

But our next job is a request from the Ernella Company itself. Lucille and I decided it's best you knew.

Ooooooooh. So, what's the job this time?

...Do you remember that epidemic that spread across the region a little while ago? It might be back. The company's trying to develop a new vaccine for the virus in order to prepare for the worst.

The epidemic...might spread again...?

And they want our help in the matter, is that it?

The company is sending out requests to a number of regions, but I'm sure we got one because of me. I have no idea how much we can do here, but...

No! If they 're working hard to make a vaccine, we need to do our best to ensure they get what they need. Let's all put our heads together, and do what we can!

Miss Escha...thank you so much!

Boss, what's the duration for this assignment?

We're all being told that the deadline is "until the vaccine is complete". But, frankly, I can't say when that'll be, so I can't make it your primary assignment.

So, we're supposed to work on it when we have the time?

Hmm... If only we knew someone who knew medicine...

Hm... I thought I had some books on medicine, but I can't really find anything that works.

That's not good... Maybe we can see Nio? She might know something about medicinal herbs that we should use.

Yes. I thought that maybe Miss Nio would know some ways to help create the vaccine.

Nio, do you happen to know anything about it?

And there's no one vaccine that can prevent all types. It's simply impossible to create a perfect one.

Ooooh... So it can't be done after all...

If you can eliminate some of the options and focus on the one that's spreading, I might be able to help. I'll try to do some research on my own, but I can loan you some books that might be of some use.

Thank you, Ms. Nio! That would be a huge help!

The only thing is... They're written in ancient script, and they're hard reading.

W-Well... I know a little of the ancient language...

All right, then, wait right here. I'll go find you some books that will come in handy.

Yes, it certainly seems that way.

What's the matter, Lucille? You don't look too happy...

Oh, no, I'm happy. Really, I am! It's just that I'm not all that great at the ancient language... But because most books on medicine are written in it, I studied really hard...but I'm still slow with it.

Yeah... I heard that most people who study medicine hit a road block there.

Right... And I tried studying the medicine and not the language, but even then I didn't get much faster.

D-Don't worry! I'm sure you'll do just fine, Lucille!

But even if you say that...

Th-Thank you very much! A-All right... I need to read through these!

Thanks, Ms. Nio! If we find out more information, we'll let you know right away.

Sure. I know it won't be easy, so hang in there.

I guess I'll try reading them in the atelier. If we all pitch in, we'll learn more.

G-Got it...!

Let's split up and try to find some useful information.

Y-Yes... I'll do my best.

Hmm... This is pretty tough. Can Miss Nio really read all of this?

Well, she has more time to study than us, but still, these books... This is about the effects of various plant extracts, with side effects on specific combinations... Man, this is going to take a while just to read, let alone understand...

I guess it wasn't as easy as we thought... How are you doing, Lucille?

I can't understand... How can you two read such a difficult book so easily!?

It's hardly easy. I have no idea what we're looking at here.

But, but, at least you can tell that you don't know anything! It took me years to be able to read that much...and I was always the slowest reader in my class... And I know people made fun of me behind my back, saying I'd never be a doctor... That I was spoiled...

Lucille...

That's not true! Lucille, you worked so hard up until now!

But I'm still not good enough! I studied hard so I could be a doctor, and I'm always left behind! In the end, I became a government worker so I could use what I learned to help people around me... I wanted to help, but I only ended up causing nothing but trouble...

Don't worry! If you put your mind to it, you'll be able to do all sorts of things!

Nothing I do goes according to my plan. Even if I continued to work here, I feel that I...

Hey, we just started on this case. You've got to give it more time. Don't give up before we start!

Yeah, b-but...that doesn't make me any more useful...

Lucille... You know, I wasn't able to read these books until very recently myself.

Huh? But... You never said that...

When Escha started out working here, she couldn't do most of the more difficult Syntheses. She studied really really hard during all her spare time to be able to read the way she can now.

Then, you mean... Miss Escha?

It's nothing to brag about, but I'm actually not that good at studying. C'mon, let's do this research together. I don't know half of these plants. I need your help!

You...need me to teach you?

I don't know much about herbs, either, so I will read this out loud to you. Can you tell me what it means?

Y-Yes!

...That took us quite a while.

But, I think we can create a recipe now...!

That's great, but... It looks really difficult to make. Are you sure we can Synthesize this?

This is the best recipe we came up with. I'm surprised Lucille knew that much.

Yeah, even I needed help. I only know about plants that are really useful in alchemy. Thank goodness Nio knows so much about flowers and herbs.

This vaccine should cure the epidemic... I can't believe we were able to make it ourselves!

Like Nio said... It's not going to work on everything, but it's better than nothing at all. All that's left is to give it to the Ernella Company to see if it works as a cure.

Yes! I'll send it home right away! Um... Thank you both so much. For cheering me on, and...supporting me, after I caused so much trouble.

All we ask is that when you have people working under you you help them in the same way we helped you.

You won't be our assistant forever. If you keep working hard in what you do, you're going to grow.

Yes! I know I'm going to bother you more in the future, but promise me you'll take good care of me!

This area is really good for training.

Yeah, I know! I'm getting lot stronger lately, and with these weapons you made for everyone...

We've both grown a lot since we started. Wait...

What is it?

I've been making notes on items we've been using in battle, and it looks like we've used 60 different types. That means...

We've completed all our assignments. Take a look!

I can't believe it...

Come on, we need to let Marion know right away!

Well, I have to write the report first... When we get back, why don't you ask Lucille if the vaccine was successful? We've been too busy out here to really follow up on that, but we'll have time after we get back.

Sure!

I received a letter from my family. The vaccine we sent them arrived safe and sound.

Really? And did the vaccine work?

They're going to do a more thorough trial, but they said that the preliminary checks are promising. Apparently it's much better than the ones their other vendors sent them!

That's great news...! I hope that we can save even just a few more people with this medicine.

Yes... There are new illnesses all over the world, and it's hard to develop cures fast enough. But, if we can help them make another cure like this, I think we'll help even more people...

Ahahaha, yeah. I hope that that day will come.

Can I ask you something...? Why did you go so far to help me?

Huh? Why...?

I mean, when we were making the medicine, you worked so hard to help me out...

I-I see. I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being so insensitive!

No, it's okay. It was so long ago that I don't remember much about that time. But maybe that's why I tried so hard to help you with this cure. Like I was somehow helping her...

Miss Escha... Thank you so much! It's all thanks to you guys that we were this successful.

I think you were a big part of this too, Lucille. You worked really hard in helping us figure it out. If you ever need help with something, feel free to talk to us. We are your mentors, after all.

Oh, Logy!

Hey... Why are you blushing so much?

Uh...it's nothing! Just something Lucille said.

I see...

A-Anyway! Did you turn in our final report to Marion?

Yeah. She said we did a great job, and that R&D is fully developed. Our efforts over the past three years have put R&D at the top of all the departments here.

R-Really...!? That's amazing.

It's thanks to her and everyone else we were able to do it. Central is going to flip when they hear about everything we've done here.

I'm still surprised we were able to do so much... Let's go say hi to Clone. It's about time to help with the harvest again.

It is that time of year, isn't it? I want to help this time.

There are new discoveries every time you go out, and it's so fun you don't ever want to stop.

Isn't it? I really like this work, too.

I'm so jealous that you get to go to so many places and get paid for it! I can kind of understand how my parents enjoyed their business trips.

Now that you mention it, have you ever thought of traveling with your parents? I know they're off on business, and somebody has to watch the store, but you must get lonely sometimes.

It's a little more complicated than that... I kind of feel like I'd be getting in their way.

I don't think you would. You always work so hard while you're investigating with us.

Wh-What?

Yeah. Even with their daughter right in front of them, they're all over each other. They do take good care of me, but they get even more heated up for each other.

Well, that's quite a story.

Yup. I think I'd get a little worn out being with those two on a trip for any length of time.

So you let your parents be together while you mind the store for them! That's so thoughtful...

I see. So that's why you seem a little mature for your age.

They told me all about how their romance started, too. When my dad opened the store, he hired my mom. And their working relationship quickly turned intimate.

And they told you all that? Sounds like you had a rough childhood...

But it does sound like a romantic story. I'd kind of like something like that, too...

Who are you talking about?

...Sorry, my mistake.

Aww... I wanted to meet the happy couple...

Well, I doubt we would ever meet a couple as passionate as Katla's parents.

Y-Yeah. I'm sure. Ahahaha... Hee...

What's going on, Wilbell? You look happy.

I'm finally ready to make a new contract. Now I can go make a contract with the Fire Lord.

You did mention something about that before. Sorry, we were so busy with the engine that I forgot.

Oh, you... Well, whatever, you did seem really busy, so don't worry about it.

So, if you're going to make a contract, we need to go see the Fire Lord again, right?

Yep. If you have some time to go out to the Wastes, would you mind taking me along, too? I was planning to go alone, but I have been helping you out. You'll return the favor now, right?

Of course we'll help you!

Is there anything we should prepare?

What? We have to fight the Fire Lord?

Well, you did put her in a good mood before, so if all goes well, I might just be able to talk to her. ...But it's pretty are for things to go that way. Spirits usually want to test your strength first.

I see. Is it okay for us to take part in that battle, then? It seems like you'd have to fight 1 on 1...

Only if the spirits asks for it. But if I'm allowed help, I'd like your best assistance in this thing. Anyway, I don't know what the Lord of Fire will say, so you should be prepared just in case.

Um... I really want to ask, but...the Fire Lord is really strong, isn't she?

...Probably. Someone did build an altar for her, so she was worshiped at some point in the past. In any case, it would probably be hard to avoid a heated battle...

She'd definitely be a powerful ally, but she could also become a fearsome enemy. We don't know how strong she is, so we should do everything we can do to prepare to face her.

Well, there's no rush, and we have plenty of time... The harvest is more important.

Right. I want to see how it's done.

New harvest

Could it be...Flameu?

Hello, little alchemist.

I never would've imagined... I would encounter you here!

The first Geosys facility was built here, long ago. There is not much Spring left, but there is probably enough for us to talk.

I see... Then did you speak with Clone, too?

Yes. I learned a lot from her. She told me everything that happened up until now, and about you kids, too. She told me everything she could... I think we talked for so long that we both got a little tired.

Ha, I see... Well, I'm glad you and Clone were able to talk after all.

And... We're sorry about having to wake you up the way we did. It was all we could think of.

To think that the little seed would grow into such a magnificent orchard. It's unbelievable. Apparently, it took much effort, but...the humans never gave up. I thought we'd never see eye-to-eye.

We do fight over small things all the time. That's why it's so important to work together. Because working through that, no matter how tough, is what makes the world a better place if we try.

You can go in the wrong direction but not notice it for a while. Alchemists of the past, and of today... We all try to move forward, one step at a time.

...You're absolutely right. I think what you say is true. I would like to try once more. I think there's still more that I'm capable of. And now, I won't be by myself. I have very valuable friends by my side.

Yeah... That's true!

I want to give this to you two...

...This is...?

A brand new life. Someday, it will bloom into a beautiful flower. Please, take good care of it.

Flameu, thank you so much! We'll cherish it!

Looks like she's gone... But I'm sure we'll be able to see her again.

Me, too. I want to try planting this. And one day, I can show this flower to Flameu.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While I really like the individual stories and arcs, I wish the Atelier games spread them out a bit more. Due to how mechanics work, they will always get lumped together towards the end. Then suddenly you have this deluge of exposition and character discovery.
It's not bad, but it could be better.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think it feels like that because Escha and Logy's stories are combined in this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, Flameu stopped by for a visit! Here I figured she was gone forever.

Genaro
Sep 22, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think it feels like that because Escha and Logy's stories are combined in this LP.

I think SSNeoman is referring more to the fact that people inform you that problems may, in fact, exist earlier on, but it seems to only be when you hit this end stage that the problem is defined and subsequently solved. I haven't played the game myself, but I assume that even if you could try and space some of these side story missions out over a longer stretch of time, you just don't have the free days to do stuff earlier on if you want to gather materials and whatnot.

Although I could be misunderstanding both him and the game, so do correct me if I'm wrong

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXII: The Last Stories and Tales

I wonder if the Fire Lord will agree to a contract...

I have to say, it will be pretty interesting to actually see a contract. Wilbell's only talked about them before, but this will be my first time seeing it.

All right, I'm going to call her out... Fire Lord! Come out, I have something to discuss with you!

Who calls to me?

Long time no see, Fire Lord.

Oh, it's you. Were you able to make use of my blessing?

Yes. We couldn't have asked for a better material to use to make it.

It was all thanks to you, Mrs. Fire Lord, ma'am. Thank you very much!

Good! Good! So, what do you seek from me this time?

Actually, I'm the one who wants to see you. My name is Wilbell, and I'm a magician. I came here to make a contract with you. Sorry for being so abrupt, but would you lend me your strength?

A magician... Hmm, how very nostalgic. Very well. If you can pass my trial, I shall form the pact.

I didn't think we'd be able to jump right to it. So far, so good.

So, um... What exactly is this trial you mentioned?

Eek! I knew it!

Reign of fire

She definitely lives up to her name...

I can do this!

...How's that?

Yes! To think you could withstand my flames. Very well done, humans!

So you'll make the contract now?

Very well. Now, come forth, magician.

O-Okay.

Lord of Crimson Flames, hear my call...

Magician of ancient blood, state your wish.

In accordance with this ancient contract, I ask you to lend me your strength...!

It is done! You, who have bested my trial! My flames shall always be with you!

...Is it over?

Are you okay, Wilbell?

I...

...Wilbell?

I did it, I really did it! I'm the best! Did you see it!? I made a contract with the Fire Lord! Wasn't it awesome!?

It was, though you kind of ruined the moment.

Hahaha... Well, good for you, Wilbell.

Yeah! I never thought I'd ever make a contract with a spirit that powerful! And, I've never made such a formal contract before... I'm glad it's over.

Wait, what? You say that like you've never made a contract before.

Well, I have made a contract with the Wind Ruler in the past. But the Wind Ruler kind of made an exception for me and lent me a little power. Not a full contract. I decided to fix my mistakes and do it right this time... And I've finally reached this point.

What? But you always seemed like a proper magician before, Wilbell...

No, I've finally started to realize that I still have a long way to go. All right! Now, what spirit should I make a contract with next...

We were here to help you this time, but we won't be able to help next time. Will you be all right?

Yep! I'm totally thankful you helped me. Now I need to form powerful contracts all by myself!

It's great that Wilbell has such a great goal to work toward!

Hm... It makes me wonder WHY she needs to form contracts, though... What does forming contracts do?

Maybe that's part of the mystery of magic...

Go right ahead, Lucille. Ask me anything you want.

You know how I'm really small...? I was wondering how I could grow up like you. What do I have to do to, um...grow up to be a fine adult like you, Miss Threia?

Huh? Grow...?

Right! Do you know any good methods?

But, you know, I didn't pay much attention when I was growing, and I didn't notice until it was obvious.

Huh!? Th-That's not fair! I want to be big! Are you sure there's no secret of the ancients that helps someone get bigger?

Uh... I don't really know what to tell you. I heard messaging them can help.

Massage...? How does that work? Does it make you softer or something?

I don't know. It's a method used by the ancients, too, but I suspect it's more of an urban legend.

Hmm... I heard that drinking a lot of milk is supposed to help, but I don't think it's been working...

Yes, milk is important, but you need protein and fat. After all, that's what breasts are, right?

Wh-What!? I wasn't talking about... BREASTS!

Uh... I walked into the wrong conversation, didn't I? What's going on here?

Ah...! Mr. Logy... When did you--!?

Miss Threia, don't fill Lucille's head with a lot of crazy stuff, okay?

Don't be rude. This little girl simply asked me to teach her some methods to increase her bust size.

Wha--! But... But I-I... That's not...

I-I see... I'll just see myself out, then.

Oh gosh! I've been meaning to ask you, Miss Threia! What's your secret!?

Noooo... That's not what I'm trying to ask her here...

Logy, what's your opinion on the matter? Do males truly favor the larger, after all...?

I-I'm not going to answer that! Besides, this whole conversation is inappropriate for coworkers...

Miss Threia, you owe Lucille an apology later!

Oh brother... Anyway, I got a report from Marion saying they cleared out the passage in the the Palace ruins we found a few months ago. We should probably go investigate, if we have nothing else to do.

I wonder what's down there...

There's no telling. Since we had to have Harry tell us about the location in the first place, and Marion had never heard of them, either, before we told her. We should be extra-prepared this time.

Oh wow...

It's beautiful...

And there's crystals everywhere...

We've come down quite a way.

Yeah, there's hardly any light down here. The previous civilization was amazing.

I wonder about that. How built this, really. The previous civilization's ruins don't look much like this.

Then who built it?

No idea...but something about them just seems different.

I thought it was a little strange we hadn't seen any slags yet.

We have to know what's beyond this!

Iron mountain

Hm...this one doesn't seem very hard.

Not yet, but we should always be careful.

Not too much more now!

We did it!

That definitely wasn't as hard as I thought it would be...

Looks like we've reached the bottom floor of the palace.

Logy, do you see something strange on that chair?

Lord of the wild

Wha... What the heck kind of monster is this!?

It looks really scary... We have to take this monster out with everything we have!

Wha--!? Did you see that?

No! It was moving so fast!

That was a great hit! Let's just keep it up!

Just a little more...

Ugh...drat that hurt...

Logy! Let's do it!

Yes!

What kind of monster was that...?

I still have no idea... I'm still surprised we won.

I never thought we'd fight monsters like this back when you came to Colseit, Logy.

There's a lot to the world both of us still have to learn, after all...

Oh, Logy! I forgot to tell you something really important!

What is it?

Well, after we picked the apples from the harvest last month, Miss Nio said she was going to be leaving Colseit soon.

Wha--!? Are you serious?

Yeah, she said she was starting to get all her stuff together. Next time we're at the orchard, can we stop by Miss Nio's house?

Y-Yeah... (Where did this come from?)

On the road again

Nio, are all of the foodstuffs ready?

Yeah, we've got space for a lot of food. I'll be making a lot more now, so don't worry.

Nio, I heard you're going back on another journey soon?

Yes. Thank you for everything up until now.

Don't mention it. But, this is really sudden. Did something happen?

I no longer hear the voices that've been ringing in my head... I think I've done all I can in Colseit.

So I guess you were hearing Flamue's voice after all, huh?

Yes, I don't have any doubts. And, at the very end, I feel like she thanked me... After getting to know Flameu, it made me realize that there are still many ruins around the world.

And you still need to find your older sister... You said she was traveling, right?

That's right... I completely forgot about that. Is there anything we can do to help?

Escha's helped me pack all my belongings, so there's nothing to worry about. Besides, I'm not leaving right this second. I'll find the right time to talk to Wilbell, too.

I see... Well, be sure to swing by before you leave. I want to give you a proper goodbye.

Thank you very much, Logy. I'll let you know when the time comes!

So she's already getting ready to leave, huh...? Well, I suppose she couldn't stay here forever, anyway. Now, what should I do...? I built an airship...made it to the ruins...

Alright, that should be enough for today. Wait...

The beginning of a new story

I was thinking of a new subject for a picture book... I'm not sure what to draw next.

A picture book!? But I thought you weren't going to draw anymore...

Even if it has no set ending, every chapter is a new story, and I want to chronicle that progress.

Yeah... Flameu's probably doing well somewhere.

A never ending story... That sounds pretty intriguing.

Yes. Next, I want to write an amazing story that can excite any reader. And if that story can save someone... I think that would be just lovely.

...So, what are you going to call your new picture book?

Hmm... Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps something that would be fitting of Flameu's new adventures.

A new title, huh...? All right, leave it to us!

Hahaha, just make sure it's not something food-related!

Argh! I wouldn't do that! I can think of other things, too, you know!

Oh, my... Is that so? Well, then, I shall keep my hopes high.

Using tools...and working together with friends...and going on adventures... Oh, yes!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Merry Christmas, all. Your present today is the last "normal" update of the thread, just tying up all the loose ends with the game before I move on to the endings.

Like with Flameu, your strategy with the King of Beasts is to basically just pepper him with attacks for a bit until you absolutely thrash him with a powerful Double Draw combo that takes away a good 60% or so of his HP. If you're lucky, he'll skip right past his phase where he summons his Heavenly Arrows attack and move on to the phase where he buffs himself, a far more manageable situation, as the buff in no way whatsoever makes up for him not calling in his artillery strikes. All you have to worry about is his Eternal Cycle timed attacks, which do really hurt a lot. But, if that's what happened in your attempt at this guy, you're well on your way to victory. Threia's bumbling of Catastrophe two times in a row got me really nervous, but things worked out.

Like with Flameu, I feel I significantly shortchanged the King of Beast's actual abilities, hence the reason for the failure video to be included in the Bonus Update to follow the final story update, which, in keeping with my typical Atelier thread end-game tradition, which will just be the ending up until the ending choice moment. Throughout the course of this LP, I've triggered every ending flag, which are quite simple when compared to some of Ayesha's more esoteric ending requirements (like doing all that Zweiteturm + Odelia stuff to unlock the TRUE sequence of events when going to the Steinfeder, but that is a subject for a thread in the past). Once you get to the ending choice, there's really nothing to them, and you should know what you'll get from each. Escha's playthrough, which represents a more "true" game time, was about 44 hours. Pretty typical Atelier playthrough, I think, but I went on a barnstorm and pretty much accomplished everything there IS to be accomplished in the game. Just goes to show how ridiculously powerful the Knowledge Book is with the right traits that I was able to demolish all the bosses without the Tauzent's assistance.

Anyhow, I am quite assured I'll have this thread done over the weekend. I've already got the item and skill compilations ready to roll out on a moment's notice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How'd you get your dudes to 999 HP?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

How'd you get your dudes to 999 HP?

Combination of the "Domain of the Gods" field effect, the Elixir Base, and armor that significantly increases maximum HP.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Genaro posted:

I think SSNeoman is referring more to the fact that people inform you that problems may, in fact, exist earlier on, but it seems to only be when you hit this end stage that the problem is defined and subsequently solved.

To answer this from a while back, yeah this is what I meant. You need to raise relationship values in order to see people's events, but if you do them evenly, like Sylphid did, suddenly it seems like all the characters frontload their problems at once.
I might be saying that because I made that post after seeing Lucille's arc, which is so far the weakest for me. She has nagging parents, then she suddenly wants to be a doctor, then she wants to prove herself without her parent's corporation influencing people, she is unsure of her abilities and so on. It's too much at once, especially for a side character. Any one of those problems would have made for good side-quest material, but taken together it's just too much too fast. Not to mention she seems to have a thing for Logy which the game is trying to subtly develop. It all feels like it comes a bit out of nowhere, and having other characters with their arcs as well makes this feel messy. It's not game-ruining, but it could be a lot neater.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SSNeoman posted:

To answer this from a while back, yeah this is what I meant. You need to raise relationship values in order to see people's events, but if you do them evenly, like Sylphid did, suddenly it seems like all the characters frontload their problems at once.
I might be saying that because I made that post after seeing Lucille's arc, which is so far the weakest for me. She has nagging parents, then she suddenly wants to be a doctor, then she wants to prove herself without her parent's corporation influencing people, she is unsure of her abilities and so on. It's too much at once, especially for a side character. Any one of those problems would have made for good side-quest material, but taken together it's just too much too fast. Not to mention she seems to have a thing for Logy which the game is trying to subtly develop. It all feels like it comes a bit out of nowhere, and having other characters with their arcs as well makes this feel messy. It's not game-ruining, but it could be a lot neater.

Huh? They all feel like the same issue to me, just different sides to it. She wants to be treated as an independent adult, but both her lack of talent and her doting, influential parents get in the way of that. It's not that she suddenly wants to be a doctor either, it's just that she's been training to be a doctor her whole life and uses that as the default measure of her own success (the idea of wanting to be something else never comes up, because that would be watering down her storyline). Also, she was kinda your medic the entire game so it certainly didn't come out of nowhere to the player.

I don't really like Lucille that much, but her storyline feels better than, say, Reyner who just yells "money, treasure!" a lot until he tell you his life story in one scene.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
To be fair to the game, it's not entirely its fault. A big problem was that with my using the DLC characters, it kind of sidetracked the sidequests of the normal characters. Until I learned to shuffle out the alchemist I could (Logy for Escha's playthrough, Escha for Logy's playthrough), my affection levels were going up much slower than I wanted. Awin's in particular were coming in very slow on my Escha playthrough, to the point I thought I ran into the glitch where you can lock yourself out of completing his events (I've never been able to confirm this myself, but apparently if you leave town at the wrong time after making the Automatic Drive, you can screw yourself out of his events).

In a way, I kind of hope they eventually drop the friendship points system, but I'm no game designer. Apparently Shallie changes up the gameplay / story progression quite a bit, but I'll just have to see for myself.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. Nio's got a big mission in front of her if she wants to take it: find and release every last living operating system created by the dicks of the past.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXIII: The Final Decision and Choice

Future choices

Are you guys in? Could you spare a moment for me?

What's the matter, boss?

The branch manager's here, and he has something really important to discuss with the two of you.

I wonder what it could be...? Did we do something wrong?

I don't know his business, myself, but... At any rate, he's here, so let's go. Quickly.

It's no trouble at all... We heard you wished to speak with us?

Indeed. As you're no doubt aware, uncovering the Unexplored Ruins is a major achievement on your record. I attribute the success of the R&D Division to the collaboration between teams; specifically, you.

I think you're making this bigger than you should--

I think I'm making this exactly as big as I should be. I've received word from Central City.

Yes!

In honor of your various achievements as leader, Central Command is awarding you a medal. Among these achievements is Escha's thorough report on the Unexplored Ruins, which is highly rated.

That's amazing. It's not something they just hand out... You should take this opportunity seriously.

Okay! Thank you very much!

In addition, I have good news for you, too, Logy.

...Yes?

For constructing the dreadnaught, which goes above and beyond all expectation... They're welcoming you to become a member of their technical research team. It's quite an accomplishment.

...Huh? Y-You must be oking. There has to be some kind of mistake, Sir.

...Um, excuse me. Was that the Central...what again?

The Central Command Research Institution. Simply put, it's where the world's best engineers gather.

I can't believe they'd...invite me to the institution. What about the accident...?

The one you caused? There's nothing to be done about that. We all learn important lessons from mistakes. The knowledge we obtain is worth more than the mistake itself. With your record, our hopes are high.

...Yes. Thank you very much for this opportunity!

It's not a bad deal at all. I doubt they expect a decision from you immediately. Give it some thought, and decide if this is the best path for your career. That's all from me.

Hahaha, I suppose so.

Congratulations, Logy! It's a little sad to see you go, but I know your talent's wasted here.

Oh, Marion, you should be happier for him! Logy was invited to join an amazing team! Um, but that means you have to go back... Logy?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXIV: The Great Chances and Opportunities - To Each Their Own Journey

Graduation

I'm sorry... Please let me think about this before I make any decisions.

Oh, Clone...

Flameu has asked me to deliver something you forgot Escha... You look troubled. What's the matter?

The truth is... Logy was offered a job with an incredibly important research center in Central City because of his part in constructing the dreadnaught. But to the take the job, he needs to live in Central. ...And that's the story. Logy might be leaving Colseit...

Oh, no... After all the work we've done together, it'll get lonely around here.

Yeah, he's reallly smart, and a great worker... I mean, he even built that giant airship! It's understandable that they'd want him in Central City. After all our work, we have to say goodbye...

If you really feel for Logy, then you should bless his departure... But are you satisfied, Escha?

...Huh? What do you mean?

You know, you've grown a bit, too. You don't have to work for the R&D Division forever... Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for you to explore another lifestyle.

Hmm... I don't mind working for the office, but something different would be interesting. At the same time, it'd be really great to be able to stay in town with everyone... To dress up a little and go out for tea... Oh, why couldn't Logy stay in town?

I'll go see Logy off properly... That's the best thing for us.

If that's what you desire, then I think that is what you should do.

...I want to talk to Logy a little bit more. Where could he be right now? He just left the office... If there's one place other than the atelier that's important to both of us...

But he's not here, either... Sigh...

I've been looking for you, Escha.

Oh, Logy...! I've been looking for you, too.

Really? We should have just waited in the atelier, then... Heh.

Ahaha... Yeah, good point.

I see... I'm sure you'll be speeding up the ranks over there. Compared to that... I'm...

What are you talking about? The only reason I got this offer is because you helped me get this far. I can't take all the credit for this myself. It goes to everyone... I couldn't do anything by myself.

But that's... That's the same way I feel! We've been working so hard together! ...It'll be lonely.

Yeah.

I don't want this to be the end, but... Is there anything we can do now? I want to keep working with you, Logy!

I feel the same, Escha. I've gotten to do so many amazing things since I came to Colseit. But, there's really nothing we can do. We both have to go our separate ways...

Separate ways... Yeah, we can't stay together forever.

...Thank you, Escha. I'm truly glad I was able to meet you.

Me, too! You've taken such good care of me. It's been so much fun!

I'll write you when things settle down. I'm sure we're going to have a lot to catch up on.

I'll write you so many letters! Even if we're far apart, let's keep talking. Then maybe, someday...

Well...it won't be right away. I still need a couple days to settle everything here before I leave. I also need to reserve a balloon, so...

Yeah... We have one more thing to do together.

Curtain call

Music: Amai Gohoubi

...Has this day finally come...? It feels like such a short time, but thank you for teaching me everything you have...

...Yeah.

Um, is something the matter?

I-I actually, um...

...Whoops, am I interrupting?

...No, it's nothing. Let's go.

H-Huh...? What were you about to say, Logy? H-Hey!

...That's the fourth time you've asked me that.

B-But... You have so much to take with you, I have to be extra-sure you're not leaving anything behind!

I'm not... It's time to go.

U-Uuuuh...B-But...

C'mon now, don't make this any harder for him. Do your best on the other side. We're cheering for you!

Thank you for all you've done, Ma'am. I think you're the best boss I've ever had.

H-Hey, stop that will you? You're gonna make me cry...

Waaaaaah! Marion!

Ack, not you, too, Escha... Please, save it for later...

Please, take good care of yourself. Don't forget to eat and exercise, no matter how busy you become.

Thank you, Linca. I'm sure you have a lot of dangerous missions ahead, so you take care of yourself, too.

Uhh... Linca, you're the same as usual.

We're not saying goodbye forever.

To be honest, I don't want him to go, either, but telling him that will just make it worse. Won't it?

...Yeah, that's exactly right. Uh, thank you for your honesty. And all of you, for everything.

But, you know, Linca... You can't keep a poker face like that all the time. Smile once in a while.

How can I smile when I'm so sad on the inside? ...This is the best I can do right now.

Ahhhh, Logy... *sob sob*

Hahaha, don't cry for me, Lucille. Let's make this a happy parting... Yeah?

*sob* C'mon, Lucille...say something to Logy.

I don't want you to leave! I want everyone to be together...! Ahhh!

Y-You're not supposed to say that... Though it was on all of our minds.

...Are you really leaving us? Really really?

Yeah. Lucille, you do your best too, okay? I know you've got what it takes to be great here.

...Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! You can't go!

O-Oh no... I need to change the mood here... Logy! Um... P-Please take good care of yourself.

...You too, Escha.

Hm...?

I'm going to become a really really great alchemist! Even without you, Logy, I can do it! I promise you! So, Logy... You have to do your best, too. I'll be cheering you on, okay!?

...Sheesh, you're all so selfish. Stop trying to make me feel guilty by crying at me... ...Thank you, Escha. You do your best. I'll be cheering for you, too.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 27, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXV: The Great Chances and Opportunities - Busybodies

Career choices

I have been working in Colseit, for the R&D branch for a long time. I'm going to see if there's something new I can do, too!

If that is what you desire, then I think that is what you should do.

Thank you, Clone! I'm going to think it over a little bit more.

Not like I don't enjoy my current job... Why go through all the trouble of making a new one? I wish I had someone to talk to at a time like this...

Miss Threia is smart, and she's been working at her job for a long time. Maybe she has some good advice. Yeah! All right, it's decided!

Logy! Logy!

Whoa! What is it?

Rather than going back to Central, why don't we talk to Miss Threia about a new job?

Threia? Where did you get that idea?

If we're both going to be doing something new, maybe I can convince you to stay and work with me instead of going back to Central!

Hm... That's something to think about. Before I came to Colseit, all my work was done in Central. Maybe it would be more interesting to work with Threia. Well, it's worth a try...

After thinking it over, I don't really feel like there's much for me in Central City...

Threia, you're going to keep working here in Colseit, right?

Of course not! I was thinking about taking this opportunity to move to Central City myself.

Huh? Is it because you've done everything you can do here?

Yes... And I'll have to study a mountain of new reports once I get there. Being out in the field is nice for research, but it makes getting your hands on new documents much harder. ...Say, I have a suggestion for you, then. How would you two like to start careers as historians?

Us? We don't have nearly as much knowledge as you do, but...

What are you talking about? We've worked together. You two would make excellent assist--er, researchers!

D-Do you really think we'd be good at historical research...?

I have no doubt you'll make excellent colleagues. So, what do you say?

Hey, Logy. Could you proofread this for me?

Sure, no problem. I've just finished my fact-checking, too.

You're a lifesaver. I just have one more pile to get through.

Oh, my, look at the time... Sorry, Escha. We'll eat a little later. Just put it over there for now.

You always say that, but you never end up eating anything...

It's crunch time, Escha... But, okay, I'll have a bite.

Here you go.

Hm... This is pretty good. I think you've improved again.

Haha, I hope so, after all the cooking I've done for you. Are you going to be ready for the meeting?

It'll be a near thing... We're submitting a brand-new theory, so we need convincing evidence. Of course, the board will pick away at our sources, too. This is why I hate those staid old nay-sayers. They haven't made any discoveries of their own, so all they do is try to find flaws in new theories.

Y-You are a little scary...

What was that?

Eek! N-Nothing...!

Yeah... If people are willing to accept our new theories, we can transform all of academia. It's only for a few more days. Think of this as our final push.

T-Tomorrow!? What? D-Did you just say "tomorrow"!?

Um, what I meant was...tomorrow you should start getting ready for the meeting!

You're kidding, right!? I thought we still had a few days! We need to change our plans immediately!

Escha, you have to help us right away. We'll never have our thesis prepared on time at this rate.

Huh!? But I don't even understand half of what's in there!

You can read, can't you!? Please, time spent talking is time wasted! Logy, you check up to...here, and Escha, you do the rest! Thank you!

Th-That's impossible! Your writing is so difficult to make out!

Logy, forget about that part; read this and tell me what you think right away.

...Um, can I just say that this is impossible, too?

Oh? I thought nothing was impossible for a tough guy like you.

You guys like to complain a lot, but you still do everything I ask of you. All of my other aides would have quite by now, but you two still stick around.

What is it, Threia? Do you still have more work to be done?

I'm trying to tell you that I'm going to take you out to a nice dinner when this is all over!

Really? If Threia's choosing the spot, then I'm SURE it'll be delicious! I can hardly wait!

Of course it'll be amazing. Now, we've got to work right up until our deadline. C'mon!

I never thought our lives would change like this, but--

Escha, what are you doing!? I need you to look at these papers!

Ah! Coming!

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 28, 2014

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXVI: The Great Chances and Opportunities - There Were Just the Two of Us

The saviors

Lucille wanted to become a doctor, and me and Logy helped her so much reach her dream. I should go speak with her about what she wants to do next, now that Logy's probably going back to Central City... All right, it's decided!

Lucille, Logy said he was probably going back to Central to be a great researcher there... There's probably not much left for me in Colseit. I was thinking of going on a trip to try and find a new job.

I'm sorry that I'm bringing up something like this so suddenly.

Hmm... Maybe I should attempt something new, as well?

Lucille, is there anything that you've always wanted to do?

Yes... I want to help eliminate all disease from this world!

...All disease? Can that be done?

It's a long-term goal... But do you recall that epidemic years ago, and how the vaccine took a while? Vaccines... People in Central City can get them easily, but it's not so simple out in remote areas. Did you know that the Ernella Company takes a portion of the profits to help distant regions?

Wow... If what you can do can save one more life, that would be amazing!

Please let the people who are in worse condition have theirs first. We're checking on everyone here.

Thank you very much, Escha.

Whew... They don't have a lot of food in this area, so we had a lot of work to do...

Yes, and medicine doesn't work as well on an empty stomach, either. I'm so glad we brought extra food like you suggested, Escha!

Heh heh, see what I mean? It's always a good idea to have extra eats on hand!

You're absolutely right. Let's keep that same mentality for our next job, too! The next village has even more people, so we'd better get our game faces on!

That's right. We need to be ready so we can help a lot of people!

Still, you're so amazing, Escha! You can make all of these things with a single cauldron!

I've had to make so much stuff during my time in R&D. This was easy. You're still amazing, though! How could you gather all these ingredients on such short notice?

All of the local merchants helped me out. It's not like it was all me, you know. And all the food and medicine you make is what allows us to go to all these villages, Escha.

...And I couldn't have done that without your family's support, Lucille.

If you'd stayed there, you might be a really famous alchemist by now...

Aha, well, I didn't become an alchemist to be famous... I wanted to use what I know to help people. Being able to help the people in all the places we visit is more rewarding!

Hearing that makes me so happy. Hopefully we'll be able to expand our operation in the future...

Don't worry. As long as we stick to it and work really hard, others will come along.

Yes! I'll do my best! I want to create a world without any sickness, after all. So let's keep doing our best, Escha!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
In update XXXIII you misspelled "joking" and in update XXXV you have a broken tag at the very end. Other than that, thanks for making an LP of this charming game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Is the Logy leaving ending the "Default" ending? It's hella sad :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

On my playthrough I chose the Threia ending first (because I didn't realize that asking her for advice would lock me into an ending immediately) and it was too silly so I couldn't go back and watch the others. I mean, seriously, Escha quits her job as an alchemist to be Threia's maid?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

On my playthrough I chose the Threia ending first (because I didn't realize that asking her for advice would lock me into an ending immediately) and it was too silly so I couldn't go back and watch the others. I mean, seriously, Escha quits her job as an alchemist to be Threia's maid?

I imagine that was more a consequence than something she decided to do at the time she accepted Threia's offer. Since she's not as studious or fast as Logy and Threia are, she got assigned to doing the one thing she can do well - making sweets to keep those two fueled.

Also, yes, that first ending is more or less the "default" one. After you complete the game once, the choice is added to that scene in the orchard on any further playthroughs (since it seems to be tied to the system memory, not the save game's memory). "Make a Promise" leads to the True Ending (which, oddly enough, does not really lead in Shallie at all), and "Bid Farewell", obviously, leads to the Normal Ending.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXVII: The Great Chances and Opportunities - Great Expectations

Paper tiger

I guess there's not much reason to start a totally new job... Maybe we can work hard enough to bring R&D to the top of all of the departments! All right, it's decided!

Because I did give Central City's offer some thought, and I realized I don't really want to be there.

What're you going to do with the R&D Division from now on?

Yes, well... I haven't quite decided, but i"m sure things will keep running the way they are. I'll set goals, and make sure my team meets them. It'll be exactly the same.

But, compared to when it was just Marion and myself, we've really expanded our work capacity. I'm sure we still have a great many things to do.

If the two of you want to explore other options, I won't stop you. But I'll keep your seats warm. It'll be lonely without you, but remember you can come back any time, okay? We'll be waiting.

Um... I'm sorry. I know I said some weird things, but...would it be okay if I kept working here at R&D? I love this place...and I want to keep working with the two of you.

...Good point. There's no need to try and change your world when everything's working out just fine.

There are other ways to spend your life than here... But I do intend to make R&D the best department.

As do I... So if the two of you would like to stay, then...

Logy, have you finished the application for our next investigation?

Sorry, I'll have it done right away!

Escha, is the list of ingredients we need for Synthesis ready...? I heard you were running behind.

J-Just a little longer...!

Yes!

Lucille's out working with the Provisions Department. She won't be able to support you two for a time. What should we do...? I know R&D has more work to do, but we can't finish it late...

Hey, Linca. Have you finished that report you promised?

...I'm starting right now.

Too late! I asked for it three days ago! DO IT NOW!

R-Right away!

Umm, Miss Linca, have you already submitted the application to the Provisions Department?

N-Not yet...

...Linca, don't tell me you haven't even looked at the budget we were going to send to Solle...?

Uh... Now that you mention it... I think someone asked me to do that?

Ugh, where should I start...?

We have to hurry and submit it, or they're going to lock in their schedule.

...I'm sure Solle's furious right now.

Ah... Marion, I-I'm requesting back-up... I really think we're in danger here!

Oh, you're so hopeless. Please prioritize your report first! I'll do everything that Escha and Logy asked you to do.

Th-Thank you very much!

Sheesh! I thought you were getting the hang of things, Linca, but you're barely keeping afloat. Are you sure you're okay with this, Logy? You're fine with giving up the opportunity to see the ruins?

It's okay. I think I'm better suited to working here in the R&D Division.

Ahahaha, yeah. This is the best way for everything to be handled.

That reminds me...! Take a look at this! One of the nearby villages is under attack by a violent monster. Hm, we can't ignore that. I'd better get over there and see what the situation is.

Ah! If you're going, I"m going, too! We're running out of raw materials...

I'll go with them, Boss. I'm sure there are injured people, so I'll bring Lucille, as well.

Okay, understood. Be careful, everyone...

I'm always good in a fight! Please leave this to me. Are you guys ready?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXVIII: The Great Choices and Opportunities - Tea Time

Snacks and friends

Ahh... I think I'm starting to get hungry from using my head.

My, oh my... That won't do. How about I prepare something light for you to enjoy?

Y-Yeah! I'm sure I'll think a lot better on a full stomach.

Everyone, thank you very much for gathering today! I know that our work here is stressful, so I hope we can all work off some of that steam.

Whoa! I've never seen such a fancy tart in my entire life!

Why do I get the feeling like you've said that before...?

Now, Lucille, don't worry about stuff like that. My turn!

Ahh...! My tart!

Be nice, Katla. And Lucille, there's a lot left... Here, have some of mine.

Th-Thank you very much, Escha... Uhh, are you going to eat all of that?

Huh...? Oh, oops. I might've taken a little too much. Heehee.

R-Right...but are you going to finish it?

Mmmph... The tart is really delicious, but so is this cake... How it is possible to cook something that tastes so good? I still need more training.

Oh, thank you... Your compliments make the effort worthwhile. There is plenty, so please, don't wait to have seconds. Or thirds!

It is nice, but please remember to process that application I submitted. I need that to continue.

drat! And I'd finally forgotten about that, too.

Ahahaha, Miss Marion, you're still talking about work...

Marion lives and dies for her job. The last time we went out for a drink, she kept bragging about it.

Oh, so that story's true... You know, I think you need to settle down and find yourself a nice guy.

No offense, but you're the last person in the world I want giving me advice like that. Don't rush me.

What's that supposed to mean? As long as I get someone caring and supporting, I don't care who it is.

I'd like someone really nice. I wonder if there's anybody like that out there...

I see... Since we're all talking about romance, I just so happen to have a lucky charm for that...

A lucky love charm!? Tell me more!

First you tell me not to rush you, and yet here you are...

Oh, right. He said his work is keeping him really busy, and he's still trying to climb the ladder. I think he's really going to make something of himself at this rate.

My, oh my... That is very good to hear.

But it'd be nice if he stopped by to say "hi" once in a while. We could throw another party for him.

Well, if you just want a party, we can always have another...like this one.

No, not a party like this... A bigger one! With everyone from town, and the people really really far away... They're all our great friends!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah yes, the classic "gently caress IT, I'M MAKIN' PASTRY" ending.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XXXIX: The Great Chances and Opportunities - The Wild Blue Yonder

... I'm sorry, but I need a little time to think. I'm going to head to the atelier to think this over.

I-If you really want, to, Logy...

A man's dilemma

...Hm? Nio? What's up?

I was thinking about leaving town soon, so I was going around and saying my goodbyes to everyone.

I see... You're leaving too, huh?

What's that supposed to mean, Logy? Are you planning on going somewhere, too?

Yeah, the truth is...Central City offered me a job as one of the head researchers at a famous institution as thanks for all the work I've done here in Colseit with Escha and everyone. It's a very tempting opportunity, but I would have to live in Central to work there...and so, I might be turning to Central City.

Whoa, that's amazing! But I'm sure it'll get a little lonely, with all you and Escha have been through.

Yeah, which is why I'm having a tough time making a decision. What would be best...? I could only build the dreadnaught because of everyone's support. Can I just leave all that behind?

I think it's best for you to return to Central City, Logy. Aren't you going to accept the invitation?

Hmm... To be honest, my only goal was to build the dreadnaught. It didn't matter to me where I did it. So, when I left Central City, I thought maybe it would be nice to start somewhere completely new.

Well, that's a good idea, too! If that's what you want, why don't you invite Escha along?

I can come back here anytime I want, so maybe it's a chance to see what I'm worth. A new beginning!

Ahaha, but I'm sure you'll make it a reality if you set your mind to it.

(Well... It's a very tempting offer, but I think I might want to try something else in the future, rather than working in Central just as a researcher.) I don't think I'll go back to Central City. There's got to be something new I can do...

If you think so, Logy, then I'm sure it's a great idea.

Thanks, Nio. I'm going to think it over a little more.

To the end of the world

Heh... I really hadn't ever considered a future outside of sticking to my career... I wish I had someone to talk with a a time like this...

Didn't Awin have a dream to find the Edge of the World? We made it pretty far in the dreadnaught, but I was the one who convinced him to turn back. Maybe he'll have some good idea for a future direction, now that I'm free to choose. Okay, then. There's no time to waste.

What are you going to do now, Awin? Are you going to keep working for the Maintenance department?

That's not a bad idea, but no. Do you remember when I told you I wanted to explore the world? Well, I do have quite a bit saved up now, so I think I can afford a next-generation balloon.

Woah, I'm impressed. Balloons aren't cheap.

What good's a dream if you never fulfill it? It really wasn't that much... It's just... Well, to be honest, I'm aware of my limits. I might not be capable of all that much.

Awin...

Don't make that face at me; I'll be fine. Actually, I was curious as to what your next move's going to be? Because if you're not doing anything, you know... You're more than welcome...

Well...

I'm ready over here, Awin.

Hey, that's a good look for you. I'd say the Maintenance uniform's better than your normal clothes.

I just finished the final checks. We can leave any minute. Are you sure you're okay with this? You don't have to join me, you know...

Don't make me repeat myself. I want to see what's on the edge of the world, too. Marion and Escha wanted me to stay behind...but I guess I just can't hold the adventurer in me back.

Hahaha, that's what I'm talkin' about. We were able to use the dreadnaught to get around last time, but now we're on our own... Still, we bought and modified this bad girl together. I can't think of a better team.

We're going to cross that empty expanse... This is going to be a rough trip.

You must be crazy to want to cross those lands. But so what, right? We already did the impossible once when we built the dreadnaught. If we're working together, there's nothing we can't do.

You're nuts... But, I guess that's what makes you so impressive.

...Thanks a lot, Logy. This would've been a really hard excursion if I was on my own. Having a colleague by my side makes this a lot more palatable.

Same here, so don't stress about it.

Haha, I guess we're both pretty similar after all.

You think so...? Maybe this won't be so bad.

The moment we leave the depot...there's no turning back. You forget anything?

...No, I'm ready for this.

That's the spirit. I'm countin' on you, partner!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XL: The Great Chances and Opportunities - Reyfer Luckberry and The Last Crusade

Treasure treasure everywhere

I don't know much about what I'm going to do...but Reyfer has the right idea about the future. Just following your dreams... Maybe I'll get some inspiration if I ask him. Okay, then. There's no time to waste.

Escha, are you around?

Logy! Did you make a decision about going back to Central City?

Yeah... I probably won't be going back. I worked in Central for a long time before coming out here, so there's probably not much interesting left for me to do there, even if I did make it to the institution. Reyfer told me some interesting things about following my dreams earlier, and it kind of got to me. Do you want to come with me and ask him what we should do next?

S-Sure!

After thinking it over, I don't really feel like there's much for me in Central City...

How long do you plan to stay here in Colseit, Reyfer?

'Bout that... I was actually planning on packing up and leaving soon. I was talking with Harry.

In fact, we were about to go 'round and say adios to everybody. But... We do have a suggestion for you.

A...suggestion?

Yes! How would you like to join us on our adventures? Allow us to extend a formal invitation.

Y-You mean... You want us to go with you?

Bein' with "The Gentleman" ain't bad... But I think you two have the makings of real treasure hunters. How about we make ourselves a team here, and score some massive loot. What'dya say?

It sounds like a lot of work... Can we really help you guys at it?

Hmm... Treasure hunting, huh? I wasn't really interested at first, but maybe we are cut out for it.

C'mon now... What do you say?

Well Escha...

Let's give it a try!

Heh...that settles it.

D-Did we make it to the end...?

Seems that way... But be careful. There could be more traps. Remember the arrow trap?

Yeah! Oh, remember the room of snakes?

Whatever they're hiding in this ruin better be good...

All right, it looks safe. Hey, over there! Look, there's something.

You're right... What do you think it is?

That's the treasure we're after, then? Oh, I'm so glad...

This is really impressive. I think we can finally get ourselves a nice meal with this.

That we can... Now, I wonder what it is. Some sort of device for drinking water, perhaps? No, no, I know what it is! This is some sort of headgear!

Um, I think you were closer the first time...

Either way, I think this treasure will come to a good amount, what with all the other stuff we found.

Um... Uh, Mr. Reyfer... The other treasures we found...they're not worth anything.

Wha-What!? Hold your horses, that's not what you told me!

We tried to tell you several times, but you were too busy "celebrating" to hear us.

We have nothing left in our pockets. Our last hopes are what Harry has, and what's in your hand.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! You've gotta be kidding me! Is this true, pal!? You said they had value!

To think that such simpletons would be the ones setting the standard on the value of history... Pfah.

Uh... They just looked like junk to me...

Well, damnation. I guess we'll just have to settle for what this li'l feller will get us.

Wait, Reyfer! Don't move! There's a trap there!

Whaaaa--! Don't move what!? I'm standin' on one foot here! Which way can I move!?

Isn't this the kind of trpa that makes the ceiling cave in? We saw those before...

No... I think it's the kind of where the walls start closing in from the sides.

It could very well be a trigger for the trapdoor in the floor.

H-Hey, c'mon now! I can't keep standin' like this much longer!

Don't move, Mr. Reyfer! Umm... In these situations, we need to find a substitute of sufficient weight...

Oh, man... I can't hold on any longer. Heh, I wonder what'll happen if I just--

Noooo! Mr. Reyfer, you might kill us all!

Why did I decide to come with this guy...?

Haha! Isn't it obvious? For the thrill! Well, I'll see the rest of you outside. Toodles.

drat it, not again!

Hold it right there, you! Oh, that's it! I'm taking you down with me!

No, Reyfer, listen to--

Everybody RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

It's all coming down! Run for it!

Dammit, Reyfer! I'm not gonna forget this when we get back!

Don't sweat the small stuff, kid! 'Slong as you're alive, every day's a treasure! Hahaha!

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XLI: The Great Chances and Opportunities - The Sky is the Limit

Don't stop 'til you drop

I've done so much here, and there's so much more left to do. If I go to Central, then I'll have that chance. Yeah. All right, I've decided. I'm going to see how far I can go in Central City. I have so much more to learn!

Yes! Do your best, Logy. I'll be cheering you on during my journey.

Thanks. You take care of yourself, too, Nio. Let's meet again somewhere down the line.

Cheers!

Y-You guys never change... Isn't this a bit much? Just because I decided to stop by...

I think it's warranted. We're in the presence of Central City Engineering's chief tech adviser!

I could always tell you were gonna go places. Yes, indeed! Ain't that right, Doctor Logy?

I just wanted to see you, that's all. And you don't have to keep calling me "Doctor".

Don't downplay your achievements. The Chief Technical Adviser is widely regarded around the world. I'm proud to say that I know you!

I think I'm the most surprised out of anybody here. But, because of my work, I don't get to visit often. Every time I do make it back here, though, you all come around to see me. Thank you...

Ah, it's just a convenient excuse for us to go out drinkin'! Hah!

Umm...

Aw, he's just kidding. Reyfer's usually the mastermind behind these little shindigs.

H-Hey! YOu were s'posed to keep that under your hat... You're makin' me blush!

...Hahaha, I'll pretend I didn't hear that, then.

HAHAHA! This is quite the accomplishment, Logy! This one's on the house!

Duke, can we get another round!?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, comin' right up!

Just juice for me, please...

I-I guess I'll have another, too.

Comin' right up! Just you wait.

Hm, you're right. You just pulled me in here before I could say "hi". Maybe we should give them a call.

Oh, c'mon... Ain't nothin' wrong with a night drinkin' with just the guys every now and then!

Well, when you put it that way...! HAHAHA!

Are you two okay? You've had quite a lot to drink. Perhaps we shouldn't invite the ladies over...

...You've got a point.

Y'know what the problem is here...? Logy's just blessed. N'matta where he goes--BAM!--it's Cutie City.

Yeah...! Maintenance is full of men... You're making me jealous.

Okay, that's true about the women, but there's a lot of stress that goes along with it, you know? That said, they did train me in how to deal with women, so... It's made things easier back in Central City.

...Does that sound like bragging to anyone else?

Yeah, I think he's rubbin' it in our faces.

U-Umm... I'm not sure I understand this conversation any more.

Wh-What the hell!? It really was tough!

H-hey, knock it off, Awin! Dammit, you're completely wasted!

Yeah, get 'im, Awin! Lemme in on a piece of that action! Ha ha ha!

H-Hey, please don't get too rowdy! You're going to start bothering the other people in here!

Huh? Oh, don't worry about a little dust-up between friends! You kids enjoy yourselves tonight, you hear?

Don't encourage them!

Haha, what are we going to do with these drunkards? Still, it's nice to come back here. I have friends over there, too, but I can't be this open with them. I guess that all the people here in Colseit are irreplaceable friends to me.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Part XLII: The Great Chances and Opportunities - Farewell is for Tomorrow's Sake

But that's... That's the same way I feel! We've been working so hard together! ...It'll be lonely.

Yeah.

Partners to the end

Then, um... Can we make a promise?

...Promise?

Yes! Even if you're leaving for the city, I'm going to become a proper alchemist here!

Yeah, well... I'll keep working hard over there, to become the best alchemist that I can.

I'm going now!

Well, aren't you awake early... I'm very impressed, Escha.

You seem to be in a good mood. Did something nice happen, Ms. Marion?

It's nothing... Heehee.

Mmmm... You're hiding something from me again.

I wonder about that. Maybe you'll find out eventually. Now go do your best out there today, m'kay?

R-Riiight...

Marion's really a sneaky little devil. Thanks to her little secret, nobody's come to welcome me. ...Man, it' sbeen a long time since I saw her last. I wonder if she's doing all right on her own. Well, I guess I can go ask her myself.

...! ...Huh?

Oh, c'mon, is that how you're going to greet me? Have you forgotten what I look like already?

N-No... Logy? Is that you?

Yeah. I'm coming back to the R&D Division, starting today. We made a promise, right? That I'd...

Whoa-!

Logy... Logy! You're really back!

Haha, dramatic as usual.

I thought you'd never come back! When you left, I had to do all the work in the atelier on my own, too!AND, I had to learn how to do everything, you know? I was so... so... Solle gets so upset with me whenever I make a mistake! Do you remember that!?

Haha, of course I do... D-Don't cry on me. I know, I'm sorry... It must've been really tough for you. There, there...

Ugh, I'm not a child anymore! *sob sob*

I know, I know... You're a proper alchemist now. Right?

B-But... What are you doing back? I thought you were doing amazing stuff somewhere else...

Right, well... I did learn a lot. Stuff I probably couldn't have learned here... There were so many great people around, and though they asked for me, they took a while to accept me.

Th-Then what are you doing back here in Colseit...?

Yeah, well... Everyone in Central City said it would be a waste, but I thought about it... The work environment was ideal there, but I realized I couldn't help people directly. And that was the best part of my job here. I want to help others... Just like you.

I see... So that's what brought you back! I knew you didn't want to leave all along.

Well, if we're going to be like that, I can tell you're the same old Escha. You haven't changed.

I don't have to rely on you all the time to get anything done, like I did before!

I see, I see... So I guess you really don't need me, then?

Waaah! I'm so sorry, that was a lie! Please don't go!

Heh heh, I was just kidding. Besides... We promised, right?

Yes...and I've been waiting. It's been so long, Logy! I can't believe you actually kept your promise... I was afraid you'd forgotten about it, and I...

Atelier Escha & Logy credits

Music: Burning Sunset -Goodbye Dusk Sky-

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
And that, friends, is more or less the end of the thread. I still have the last bonus update to do, but there's going to be nothing too earth-shattering in it. Just the failure video for the King of Beasts, the Awin Ending with Escha, the Lucille ending with Logy, and the Encyclopedia, skill compilation video, and the item compilation video. Like I said, I have the skill and item videos done, but I do need to wait on MeGUI for the encyclopedia. Should be up by tomorrow or so, but as for really new content, we're done here.

I'll be honest, it wasn't easy getting through this thread at times. I had work, and various other duties in real-life to contend with, as well as having to play through this game twice to LP it in the way I wanted. Not to mention the fact I had to basically post beg a lot more than I wanted to (something which I still regret having to do), and it all adds up to a fairly difficult thread to finish, but I made it. I realize I'm a terribly uninteresting LPer, what with the way all of my threads have struggled to keep their heads above "reasonable updates-per-page" water, but this one was particularly bad. Still, as long as you came away from this thread having enjoyed at least some small part of it, that's enough for me.

As for me now? Well, with finishing this game, I'm basically done with the PS3 Ateliers that have been released in English. Sure, there's Atelier Rorona+, but eh... There's not really enough super new content in it to justify a full LP of it. If someone wanted to do a thread for it, I'd tag along for it, but there's just not enough there to warrant going back to the game as a full-fledged thread. Of course, Shallie is going to be released in three months, and naturally I'll be scooping that up and playing through it for my LP of it, but that won't happen until mid-July of next year at the earliest, when I'm done with my current job, and the most I have to worry about during the day is how best to relax.

I've had to put my "actual" new games playing to a minimum during this thread, just to catch up for that month or so long hiatus where updates were coming out at a snail's friggin' pace. That's another thing that's sure to suck up most of my time now that I'm basically free of my obligations to this thread. Also, I'll let you in on a little secret: Part III was almost entirely written while I was at work. The day I wrote that, it was a Wednesday by my recollection, I had just about nothing to do all day, because I only had two scheduled classes that day: one of them was canceled because it was just starting and the TAs needed time to prepare for it, and the other had a test, so I didn't have to do any actual work all day.

Well, to those who followed along with this thread, you have my sincere thanks, and I'll see you again in about 6 1/2 months to close the Dusk Trilogy.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Heh, at least it was something to do at work, right? :v:

Thank you for the hard work on the thread, I think a lot of people do follow your thread, they just don't post. You're very good at wrapping each update up, so I guess people stall for a topic.

As for a topic-- now that we are at the end: What was everyone's favorite character? I think I'm tied with Escha and Logy, just because it was nice to see them work together.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I really like that navigator outfit, wished we gotten that for Logy's DLC costume, as he looks pretty sharp in it.

As for favorites, probably tied between Logy and Threia. Logy just having a deadpan reaction to other people's weirdness, and Threia's combination of passion for her subject and giving zero fucks about what people think of her.

I'd probably like Marion more, but I'm getting a little tired of the 'Waaaah I'm gonna be an old maid' archetype since the second Ayesha game and hated Marion's going down that path.

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009
I've enjoyed all your Atelier LPs and am looking forward to your Shallie one already, but I'm a lurker by nature and don't have much to say about these games. However, your LP of Ayesha has convinced me to buy Atelier Ayesha Plus when it comes out next month, so thank you for that!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm another habitual lurker without much to say about these games - one of the downsides of you covering them so comprehensively is that you've already answered everyone's questions before they get asked! This isn't a style of game I'd be likely to play myself, though, so thank you for showing it to us.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Threia was my favorite character when I played the game, but she seemed less interesting in the LP for some reason.

The weird thing about the endings is that no one ever seems to age, at all. I mean, it happens in the game too, but I can understand that making a new, slightly different character model would be difficult. However, the endings are just still images, yet the kids are always kids no matter how many years pass.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aviator gear really looks good on Logy. This whole end of the world thing is... really worrying. Was there a sequel to this game or is that still in development?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This is the second in a planned trilogy of games, right? Ayesha sets up the post-apocalyptic world, Escha & Logy explore it, and the third game concludes it? I seem to remember someone saying that...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The same company did a great job for the ending images for Mana Khemia too :(

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
IIRC Escha's aviator outfit is also about as awesome.

And yes, there is a game 3 of the subseries, Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea, which is supposed to come out in N. America and Europe in March. No idea if it wraps
anything up, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Huh. So they didn't fix the planet? I was expecting some giant sweep of fixing stuff.

I mean the environment is still going to crap right?

• Locked thread