Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
With the addition of more flame, nearly half of the rats are charred corpses. The rest are diving into the water, putting out the flames and putting the creatures out of sight. The civilians have a few disgusting things rush by their feet, but the swarm is quickly out of reach.

The frightened civilians calm down soon enough. In a moment you are moving on once again.

Further down the tunnel, Nell finds the way forward is sealed by a heavy ironbound door. Judging by the distance traveled, it appears to be the way up into the castle. There is a lock, if her skills are up to the task. Otherwise, there's always the brute force method. Or more fire.

| |
| |
|{}|
| civs |
| (15x)|
| civs |
| civs |
| |
| |-11/13HP (carrying )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Janelle

"This might take a while..." She considers telling one of them men to hold her lamp for her, but decides instead to hold it in her teeth while she gets to work with her earring and hairpin. The lock pops off easily, must have been rarely used. Lucky.

"Or not, we should probably take off our disguises now, hm?"

Thievery: 1d20+3 23
10/10 HP; 17 AC; 1d8 HD; Healing Word, Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; 9/10 Healkit
30ft bright, 30ft dim; PP 20, PI 17

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
As the civilians go about regaining their composure, he picks his crowbar back up from its resting place along the side of the wall, twirling it around with one hand in a triumphant manner. When Janelle speaks regarding the disguises, he agrees, suggesting, "Removing the disguises would be wise at this juncture, yes. I'd recommend we collectively lower or sheathe our armaments for the time being, as well." He then looks at the door, now picked, and asks, "Should we ...knock?"

When the civilians begin to remove their disguises, he passes a message down the line of them, "Remove and stow the disguises, but don't destroy them. They may yet be needed again before this siege is over. And as for the two actual uniforms being worn by those two drunk men, I will, unfortunately, need that clothing back."

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 29, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

Nel just rolls her eyes at the suggestion and calls to the civilians, "Whichever one of you knows the lord of this keep the best, step forward! We're almost home, but don't want to scare anyone, so take disguises off and look happy to be here."

Then she opens the door and calls out, "Hey! We have refugees here!"

10/10 HP; 17 AC; 1d8 HD; Healing Word, Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; 9/10 Healkit
30ft bright, 30ft dim; PP 20, PI 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 10/10 (1HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/1

The path stunk bad enough before a burned hair and charred meat smell started to mix in. Jared tries to avoid breathing in through his nose, and does his best to look reassuring to the civilians nearby. Though their panic makes things difficult, but eventually they calm down and continue forward. He glances down at the charred remains of some rats and wonders just what the group in the front has been doing to cause all this stench and commotion.

But now they have stopped again, perhaps they are at the keep as a message seems to be passed down the line to remove the disguises.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 11/13 (1HD) | AC: 14 | Rages: 1(2)

"Can't say I ever undressed in a sewer before." His earlier yelling had helped keep the folk under control somewhat, but it did a number on his vocal cords. He'd learn the trick of using your gut to shout from under the metaphorical lash of many labor managers, always pushing harder for more logs or faster tilling. Not much different from the instructors in the militia, really.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Governor Nighthill is in charge. Don't know if he survived the attack."

Then you hear shouting from the other side of the door.

"Someone is coming up from the tunnel! Who goes there?! Guards! You there, go fetch the Castellan!"

Within moments a half-dozed armed guards appear at the door. They look like they've had a rough night. Several are bandaged and they all look pretty exhausted. After the initial confusion wears off, they allow everyone inside and seal the tunnel once again. The refugees are taken to a safe area beneath the keep. They thank you repeatedly, and Cuth says that he will do his best to keep them all safe.

Your party is led upstairs to the castle courtyard. From this vantage point you can hear fighting at the gate. You see at least a dozen guards atop the keep wall, firing arrows towards attackers on the outside.

You are approached by a dwarf with knotted, tangled bright red hair. He carries an enormous iron ring full of keys.

"I'm Escobert, in charge of defenses here. And who in the hells are ye? They say the lot of you came up from the old tunnel with half the townsfolk."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

Hager shakes the hand of Cuth, the man who he had carried so far. "You be sure to take care of those kids, yourself too while you're at it. Do your old lady justice, be proud."

He'll miss the man. They grew close having piggybacked this whole distance. He turns to his brother. "You'd carry me if'n I ever got done in a bad way like him, ya'?" Course he would, but Hager likes to hear the words. Or the mind words. Whichever.

Later, at the castle courtyard, Hager tries to mind his manners as the others make with the social etiquette with the dwarf. Nice beard, he thinks to himself. Could use a bit less knots. Wonder if he has any booze laying around? Maybe he can grab a bow and start shooting cultists below.. He can hear the Dragon in his mind's discontent murmurs at this idle thoughts, particularly enjoying this quieter version of the Dragon.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Zedekiah offers to shake the hand of the dwarf with one of his massive, gauntlet-covered arms. With his crowbar, longsword, quarterstaff, and half a dozen other implements of warfare (including a battering ram) hanging off miscellaneous loops on his belt and backpack, to say nothing for his hulking armored form, he imagines he looks like a walking nightmare to the weary defenders of the keep. Answering the man's question first, he responds, "The five of us," - jerking his head towards Ander, Hager, Jared, and Janelle - "were on the way into town as guardians of a caravan for a Mr. Presmer Gerost. On our approach it became clear that the town was under assault ...by a dragon, among other things..., and we intervened to save the life of a man named Cuth and his children, who were in the process of being hunted by kobolds. He suggested the keep was still a haven for civilians, so we made our way into town with the members of the caravan, as well as Cuth's family, using makeshift disguises that our cloth-and-dye trade goods were fortunately able to allow us to create."

Taking a breath, he continued, "On the way into town, we happened upon a tavern similarly under assault, and ...dealt with the assailants. The survivors in that building told us about the tunnel, which we figured would be a safer route of entry than the front door at this particular point in time. All told, I believe we managed to bring about nineteen civilians into the keep safely, although many of them were the members of our original caravan." Sparing a glance to the defenders lobbing arrows over the wall, he further explains, "On the way in, my comrades and I have sent fourteen of the attackers to their grave, though we haven't had the vantage point necessary to really assess their numbers. Have any of your men been able to establish a proper count of the enemy? What are we talking about here, one, two, three hundred attackers? More?" Frowning as the guards loose arrows wantonly beyond the walls, he inquires, "And, if you don't mind my asking, what are your defensive stockpiles looking like? If those arrows are in short supply, it would be deeply wise to stop firing them immediately: the lackeys are likely intentionally exhausting your reserves to make any approach of their dragon safer." Scanning the skyline, he inquires, "Given that I haven't heard the telltale sound of thunder, I assume that Lennithon the blue hasn't given the keep a serious test of its defenses yet?"

Realizing he may be overstepping his bounds with the commander, he corrects himself, "Forgive me, that may have come off wrong. I am a trained military strategist, and siege warfare is one of the things I understand particularly well. Since the threat became obvious, I have been working on a few plays that may be available to you to successfully hold this ground against that dragon, but in order for any of them to succeed you will need to ration key supplies." Bowing as much as his armor would allow, he offers, "If you would accept my aid, I will do what I can to help you and your people weather this storm." He explains, "Though in order to do so, I will need a better idea of the numbers of the enemy, the number of warriors defending the keep, and the equipment stockpiles available to you."

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 29, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Lennithon, eh? So the beast has a name. I won't ask how ye know."

The dwarf motions up to the walls.

"We've about thirty defenders. Some of those are hurt but they are still putting up a fight. They might be a backwater garrison but Greenest is still home to them. They will hold as long as these walls do."

He rubs his beard as he looks you all over. The dwarf seems to be estimating your prowess.

"As for the opposing force...easily two hundred. It's hard to get an estimate on those damned kobolds. And they have a few drakes too. Nasty teeth on those. Then there is the dragon...but it seems to just be here to scare the pants off us. It hasn't actually attacked. Seems like they are here for loot and mayhem. Probably robbing us blind out there."

A messenger arrives as the dwarf gives you this briefing. He whispers a few words into the dwarf's ear. The dwarf points skywards.

"Sounds like you are wanted up top. Governor Nighthill is atop the tower. He's in charge here, not a good idea to keep him waiting if you want to stay in these walls."

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He nods appreciatively at the dwarf's explanations, but when interrupted by the messenger he says, "We should speak further on this when possible." So saying, he reports for duty upstairs where the dwarf indicates, unless his comrades have anything further to say that requires his input.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ander Basha
HP 11/11|AC 16|Daily healing remaining:4|Javelins remaining: 4

Ander listens intently to the report from the Castellan.

"Zedekiah, I'm coming with. I've got some experience with defending keeps and castles like this."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

The druid lights a smudging stick before putting out her lamp, then cleanses herself of the dank pipe odor. Anyone who hanged out in a tower when a huge dragon was flying up there probably thought themselves pretty high and mighty. That meant judgmental, that meant offending them could end up bad for you. Can't make that mistake again or she'd have to sneak through even more territories to get where she needed to go.

"Something tells me we shouldn't get comfortable..."

PP 20, PI 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared

Jared has an easy smile on his face through much of this, putting a good face on things. Though he grows quite serious when his brother speaks. He is nowhere near as strong as his brother, but if the situation came to it he would do whatever he could. "Through the Abyss itself if needed."

Then he turns to the dwarf and listens to the report. When the dwarf gets the message and sends them along he turns to Hager. "If the civilians are well taken care of we should probably go too."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
A narrow set of stone stairs loops upwards to the top of the tower. From this vantage point you can see that much of the town is on fire. From up here the looters only look like small black dots.

At the top of the tower you meet Governor Nighthill. He is conversing with several of his men, but steps away and greets you when you arrive.

"So you are the rescue party? Impressive work, getting all those civilians here to safety. Helm only knows what would happen to them if the kobolds got to them first."

Motioning to his ruined town, he continues, "I would love to know who is behind this. Could I convince you to head out and try to capture one of the attackers? Bring one here and we'll interrogate them, find out who is behind this madness. Furthermore, I hope you are--"

There is a commotion on the walls. Cries of terror fill the air. Men point into the sky. Lennithon comes.

"Steady, men! Steady! Ready your bows, we will drive this beast off! Ready! Hold!!"

Lennithon suddenly slows its flight and practically hovers mid-air just off the tower battlement where you now stand. It's open maw is pointed right at a bunch of soldiers.

"FIRE!!"

Lennithon is hovering about 25' away in mid-air off the tower. All of you have already overcome the dragonfear, so you can act first.

:rolldice: -11/13HP

The tower looks roughly like this:

ritorix fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 30, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

Nel takes a shot and then gets behind the best cover she can find. Something made of stone.

sling attack; damage: 1d20+5 11 1d4+3 7
PP 20, PI 17

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared

The dragon shouts in Jared's mind. Not Lennithon hovering before them but rather the dragon curling through his and his brother's soul. Purple light flare's in Jared's eyes, his skin seems to crack and crackle. Almost against his will his arm is raised and aimed at Lennithon.

And a mental shout is sent forth to the dragon even as the blast of purple energy erupts from Jared's hand. [Mind-to-Lennithon:"LENNITHON!"]

Eldritch Blast vs AC of Lennithon 1d20+5 18 for 1d10 6 force damage.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

Hager isn't as possessed as Jared, but the compulsion to fight is clear and strong. Fear for his brother imposes his will and overrides the Dragon's, causing Hager to move into Jared after his attack and push both of them behind solid cover.

No decent range attack, gonna keep the bro safe!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Zedekiah had to admit that he was surprised by the dragon's sudden assault. Still, the creature had stupidly wasted one of its more powerful weapons on the group - the gut-wrenching fear a true dragon could inspire in mortal men and women - hours ago. As a result, he steeled himself when the creature took up a hovering position just beyond the parapets, and set into motion the first of a half-dozen plans he had constructed since the dragon announced its presence. Giving a very pointed look to Jared, as if to implore him to be ready to act, he met the gaze of the dragon as it opened its maw to obliterate a line of archers, and did something he suspected the dragon would have never expected: he laughed in the creature's face.

Speaking to the beast, he proclaimed, "Lennithon the blue, how brave you are to attack mortal men from thirty paces away in the air. Here's a lesson for you, though: don't announce yourself to a defended keep several hours in advance of your assault. And certainly don't let them identify who you are. Baldur's Gate, Candlekeep, and Darkhold are all only a few hours away by messenger hawk - and guess what we've kindly told our friends in those areas?" Letting his words linger for a moment, he continued, "I can't truly speak for the diviners of Candlekeep, or the miscellany of heroes in Baldur's Gate who will get the word, but I can assure you of one thing - even if they don't answer our call for aid, the Zhentarim of Darkhold will be very interested to hear that the lair of the lord of the Sunset Mountains is empty this night."

Smiling confidently, he continued, "Which is to say, you can engage us in battle if you want. At best, you will likely take a few minor blows, and waste a few hours exhausting these men. But - while perhaps not at the moment - within the next hour or two, more than a few individuals equipped with the abilities of divination and teleportation will be helping themselves to your treasure hoard. So," he shrugged, "you do what you have to do."

In so saying, he spun on his heel, turning his back to the dragon and looking again at Jared. Flippantly, he commented, "Forgive me, though: it hadn't occurred to me that the common tongue of men might be your second language. Perhaps my friend Jared can better explain just how thoroughly bad of a night you will end up having if you persist in this assault." Laughing again at the creature and shaking his head, he adjusted his cape arrogantly, and marched down the stairs and out of the dragon's line of sight.
pre:
Action:     Help
             - Giving Jared advantage on a charisma or deception check.
             - The creature you aid gains advantage on the next ability
               check it makes to perform the task you are helping with,
               provided that it makes the check before the start of
               your next turn.
Move:       Moving 30' down the stairwell.

Hoping Jared clues in, and uses a bonus action to hit him with a no-save hex
(disadvantage on Wisdom checks), and then cements the commentary with telepathic
lies rolled at advantage.

Waador fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 30, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha
HP 11/11|AC 16|Daily healing remaining:4|Javelins remaining: 3

Blasted dragons, Ander wasn't exactly one for fair play, at least not in the general sense. But killing people who can't even fight back? When your only justification is that you're a dragon and they aren't? No, it just isn't right.

He hurls a javelin then gets behind a parapet.

Javelin vs Dragon: 1d20+5 18 1d6+3 7

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Ander's javalin dings off a thick blue scale and falls far to the courtyard below. Jared's blast is equally unsuccessful. It hits the dragon full-force, but seems to do nothing at all. Then a flight of arrows is loosed at the beast. The vast majority bounce off without effect, but two find purchase beneath the thick blue scales of Lennithon.

A flight of arrows at Lennithon: 10#1d20+3 19 13 7 8 8 13 14 20 13 11. Two hit for arrow damage: 2d6+2 9 damage.

-Boooom-

Suddenly the night sky is lit with a blinding flash. A lightning bolt leaps from the open maw of Lennithon and shoots across the tower.

Lennithon's lightning bolt breath: 12d10 60 damage.

Three guards down on the wall are dead instantly, vaporized by deadly dragon breath. They should have ducked. Lennithon rises into the air and moves away from the tower. Was it something you said?

Lennithon is now 105' away if you want to take a shot.

:rolldice: -11/13HP

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

"Magic's all about misdirection, Nel. You tell a little lie so that people go on and believe a lie twice as big. In this case, 'My stuff is safe.'" The princess lectured her about the sleight of hand that'd relieved the witch of her sacred sprig of mistletoe while she endeavored to steal it back.

More senseless babble drenched in duper's delight. If someone really had tipped off their people to attack the Sunset Mountains while the dragon was away, it wouldn't make any sense to then tell the dragon they had done so, unless they were betraying their own people. Taunting the dragon while bullshitting it couldn't be smart either, because gods were petty, a creature that had a cult worshiping it wasn't even a real god, so it'd be even pettier. Then again, just as gods could be petty like people, and dragons doubly so, perhaps also dragons could be doubly dumb.

It feels like a good idea to Nel to get out of the tower lest Lennithon dive down and try to knock it down with her in it. She jumps down to skip the flight Zed and the governor are on if they're in her way.

PP 20, PI 17

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

The lightning blast curves around the brother's cover, interacting with the cackling energy that flickered off Jared's body. Hager's hair from body to head are singed by the combination during the brief flash.

Quickly he moves out of the cover to find the guardsmen scrambling to their feet. Hager rolls forward, grabbing one of the bows and an arrow off a dead guardsman and aims at the distant dragon.. But does not fire. It's too far now. "drat dragons."

While the others assess the situation, Hager helps the remaining guards back to their feet and checks on his brother.

Hager will keep the bow and a quiver of arrows if nothing stops him.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha
HP 11/11|AC 16|Daily healing remaining:4|Javelins remaining: 3

Ander looks at the swath of death before him and grumbles.

"Get everyone back into the keep. His breath is worthless against the stone and he'd have to land to bring his claws to bear. Which would give us the advantage. We're just a shooting gallery up here on the ramparts."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared

Jared gets free of his brother's hold and steps out from cover once more. He eyes the fleeing dragon and shouts. "LENNITHON! Worm. Little Lenny. Run along now coward, flee while you can. Run back to your hoard Len. Hurry along and perhaps you might find a copper piece remaining. Flight back to your lair into the waiting arms of your death Len weighs a ton!"

Well Jared is brimming with aggression, still he sees what Zedekiah is trying to do more or less. And he tries to help it along, kind of, then again the aggression flooding him is also making him attempt to annoy the dragon.

Then he once more hurls a blast of purple energy at the flying dragon, before leaping back into cover to avoid any lighting breath retaliation.

Deception (with Advantage) 2d20k1+3 17
Eldritch Blast vs AC of Lennithon 1d20+5 13 for 1d10 2 force damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Still within the stairwell, he shouts out to the men arming the battlements atop the tower, "Governor, you and your people should come inside. Engaging the dragon atop a tower shaped like that gives him the opportunity to fight back, and playing fairly is a way for good men to end up dead. Archers need to be positioned at windows around the keep and in hallways in the courtyard, enabling them to take shots of opportunity when the dragon crosses their sights and range, with a defensive partner right behind them ready to drag them back into the safety of the hallway or out of the window's opening."

Jared's speech had been ... improvised ..., he knew, so he couldn't fault the man for his efforts. Zedekiah was glad that the arcane archer had caught on to what was happening in time. Whether or not it worked was anybody's guess, but either way it made sense to assume the dragon might continue to pepper the keep with his lightning barrage. "Jared, Hager, that goes for yourselves as well, there is no reason to be up there. Your range of engagement is far superior to the other archers of the keep, and is quite possibly beyond Lennithon's own as well. If the dragon would like to spend an hour or two getting shot in the eyes while playing a rigged game of whack-a-mole at every window in this building, let's show the man a good time."

Zedekiah had no idea how good a dragon's hearing was, but he was shouting loudly on the off-chance that the wind might carry his words up from the top of the tower and straight to the creature. It was a message he was perfectly happy to send to their foe if fortunes allowed, which translated roughly to 'poo poo just got real.' He'd never faced a dragon before, but all the lore suggested two things quite plainly - first, dragons valued their hoard more than nearly anything, and second, chromatic dragons could rarely bring themselves to engage in a fair fight, let alone one where the odds were not in their favor. Having finished pushing the buttons necessary to inform the dragon it might be wise to go do something else with his time, Zedekiah continued down the stairwell and back into the keep.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
"Sweet Helm, they never stood a chance."

Nighthill doesn't turn away from the sight of his dead men. He seems to take it in. It was his order that led to their deaths.

As for the dragon, it continues flying towards the north-east. It doesn't resume circling around Greenest.

"Sound advice, my friends. You heard it, men! When it comes back, take cover and make it pay dearly for attacking Greenest!! Now to spread the word. I'll remain here to monitor the town, please alert my castellan, the flame-bearded dwarf Escobert, of our new strategy."

You hear a commotion from downstairs. Sounds of battle reach your ears.

"Ah for the love of the gods! Look, they've breached the sally port! The dragon was only a distraction."

Down in the courtyard, you see about a dozen attackers charge into the courtyard. Kobolds, mostly. They begin engaging the defenders. Other guards on the wall turn their fire towards the invaders. By the time you get downstairs, the attackers are driven back and work is begun to seal the sally port. Permanently, this time.

"Survived that dragon, did ya? This has been one hella' a night. Bastards broke through the old sally port. Looks like they weren't prepared for a full push into the keep, lucky us. Is the Governor still breathing too?"

-11/13HP

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He responds to the dwarf, "Your governor is still alive, yes. I had a few words with the dragon, and I don't expect he'll be participating in this assault any longer. Unfortunately, my timing was less than perfect, and three archers paid for that with their lives. I'm sorry." He seemed genuinely apologetic for their deaths, even though the dragon was the one who had struck the killing blow, and the soldiers hadn't even been under his command.

Looking to Jared, he inquired, "What sort of range do you get on that finger beam? More specifically, if you were to man the wall or even the tower, could you rain down a healthy dose of 'Eat poo poo and die.' to the enemy troops? The kobolds we encountered only seemed to be carrying slings, which would put your range well beyond their maximum. Even if a few of them have proper longbows, using the cover of the parapets and walls you could likely strike at them in relative safety, between the stone walls and the disadvantageous ranges and angles of any shots they could take in retaliation." The enemy would quickly retreat to a safe distance, he knew, but it would cordon off a zone of two or three hundred feet around the castle where the invaders would have to think twice to approach. And, on the off chance that they didn't give the keep a wide berth, at a rate of fire of six hundred shots per hour or so, a focused assault by Jared would quickly bring the enemy numbers down to a manageable level.

Waador fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 31, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
As you discuss tactics with the castellan, a guard rushes down from the walls.

"Sir, the temple of Chauntea is surrounded! There's at least two-dozen of the enemy there. We spotting them bringing a ram. Must be some people still trapped inside. The mill is under attack too. They are trying to set it on fire. If that is destroyed..."

"Yes, yes. drat it all. If the mill is torched so is our flour supply. There'll be a lot of mouths to feed. If I take men off the wall the keep will be at risk. What about you, newcomers? Can you secure one of the locations? I'll try to spare enough men for the other. No sense in sitting in here all night if the town is burned down around us."

The mill and temple are on opposite sides of town.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He sighs, wishing for all the world he could have just five minutes to sit down and prepare a prepare defensive strategy for the keep. He comments to the others, "What do you all think? Personally I would prefer to head to the temple, as it is likely to have a library, and an empty book and some writing supplies would be of strategic value to me."

His tactical assessment was a bit deeper than that, albeit not appropriate to share with the group. He knew that saving the lives of civilians would be seen as more heroic in the eyes of the townsfolk, and if their mill happened to burn to the ground as a result of the other force being less competent, it would be a simple matter to arrange for any number of Zhentarim-allied merchants and carpenters to arrive at the city to both repair the mill and sell them enough food to last throughout the rebuilding efforts. At a reasonable profit, of course.

Waador fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

People are harder to replace than flour, and were better in a fight. Time's wasting, so she tells the dwarf straightaway, "We'll take the temple." If food became an issue, Nel's magic alone could sustain twenty people a day from just enchanted fruit. If she could sneak out the pipe to forage, another five easy.

"Nighthill wanted us to capture an enemy, too. We could knock out two birds with one stone."
PP 20, PI 17

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

It's rare to see Jared worked up in any sense, he's always been mindful and in control. This is different of course, he can feel the drive of the Dragon in him too, but time spent with the rage has given him practice in focusing his will. His brother has not had such experiences. With Lennithon making distance, the drive of the Dragon lessens. Hager keeps a concerning eye to his brother, knowing there is little he could do to help.

Although he adds little to the conversation, by now most of the group would imagine Hager to be supportive of either decision to help the Temple or Mill.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
You head out for the temple as the castellan gathers a squad to retake the mill. He wishes you the best of luck.

The tunnel is opened once again, and you are given a secret knock to perform if you wish the guard to open it on your return. The trip to the temple from the stream bank is uneventful; it might not have been so if you had walked through town.

The temple itself is a large building, made of fieldstone with a peaked slate roof, square in shape. It is one of the tallest buildings in town. The temple grounds are surrounded by a low stone wall about 3 foot tall. Thick black smoke bellows from the rear of the temple.

You hear a screeching mob before you see anyone. It sounds like a large number of enemies are circling the temple in a strung-out procession. As you approach cautiously, you see about a dozen kobolds, several humans, and two large lizards. They appear to be circling the temple. The kobolds are rather energetic, leaping and whirling as they go. They are pretty riled up.

At the front door of the temple is a squad with a small battering ram. Three men and a half-dozen kobolds. The men are on ram duty while the kobolds stand around and presumably keep watch. They seem to get pretty distracted whenever the larger group passes by.

At the rear of the temple there is a prodigious cloud of black smoke billowing outwards. You can't see into it to tell what is going on.

Green triangle is your current position. Red square is the battering ram group. Larger red circle is the large group's patrol route. Red triangle is the smokey area.

-11/13HP

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Assessing the situation, he offers an option, "I think we should cut north when the patrol group bends around the far side of the church. We can circle around then, and boost Jared and Janelle atop the roof of the house overlooking the doors. With ranged support from the rooftop kept safe from getting mobbed by a dozen attackers, the three of us," he looks at Ander and Hager, "well, I mean, my preference is basically to murder loving everybody. Any other preferences?"

Waador fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 1, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
Shake of the head, "We all climb over the temple, then you attack the ram group from the far side of the temple right when the patrol group is as far from them as they get. If you can count, you can probably guess when that is.

"That or just attack them from here when the patrol group is as far as us as they get."
PP 20, PI 17

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

This should correspond with the other map.
Conditions: It's night, lit only by the burning buildings and moonlight. Dim Light everywhere. The smoke heavily obscures the smoked-out area.

The procession is going counter-clockwise.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 1, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
Nel leads any who would follow east behind the cover of the trees, then north along the eastern side of the temple. When she estimates the patrol is in the smoke, she signals the attack. With any luck, they'd be confused which route to take to join the fight and end up trickling in.
Stealth; Init: 1d20+5 17 1d20+3 12
PP 20, PI 17
Leading everyone to AM33ish then north to P33, where they can boost the ranged attackers roofward.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

As you make your way east along the treeline, you avoid contact with the procession of raiders. When you get to the wall you hear a bit of cursing coming from within the smoke. The sound of humans reaches your ears.

(voice 1) "It's not even catching fire! You're doing it wrong!"

(voice 2) "No I'm not, it's working, see!"

(voice 1) "I can't see a drat thing!"

Then you hear laughter from a few kobolds within the smoke.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 1, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle
"If we can take the firestarters out without alerting anyone, we should."
PP 20, PI 17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He whispers sardonically, "Leave it to a kobold to try to set fire to a stone building. I imagine the doors being broken down are a larger issue, it may not be worth the risk exposing ourselves to handle a group of people who haven't even mastered the basics of fire yet." He shrugs, admitting "Although, slipping into the smoke cloud and cutting them to pieces would likely delay the next pass of the patrol group by a moment or two while they try to figure out what happened to their comrades."

Waador fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 1, 2014

• Locked thread