Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Janelle

Her hut had refused to go up in flames so easily too after her sentencing. Only that time, no one else was coming to her rescue. This was going to go differently if she had any say. "We have the element of surprise, let's use it. The ancients and I will ensure none of them escape..."

10/10 HP; 17 AC; 1d8 HD; Healing Word, Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; 9/10 Healkit

Prepared to cast Entangle and kill these fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]
HP: 11/13 (1HD) | AC: 14 | Rages: 1(2)

Hager carries the man well in paggyback fashion. He feels much better since the incident at the gate, but the man probably does not feel the same after witnessing his momentary lapse of sanity. It still surprises him that the Dragon's voice pierced through his focused rage, and the blue dragon flying about in the sky just out of sight is also a concern.

When the group comes across the burning Inn, Hager assumes their disguise is working, for the two cultists seem entirely uninterested in the group. Then again, they may not have noticed them yet.

Crouching low he lets the man rest on the ground. "I like how you think. Can't promise much on the quiet side, but if these clothes do their job then that won't matter so much."

Not sure what roll is appropriate for this. I think we want to gain surprise, so probably stealth? Deception because of the clothes, or maybe just a bonus to the stealth roll to approach?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC

Prior to leaving the caravan wagons...
With the courage of the group restored - at least for the moment - Zedekiah goes about the task of adding a finishing touch to each of their disguises: the armaments of the enemy. He first scours the corpses of the eight kobolds that had assailed the group, retrieving their blades, slings, remaining bullets, and any other armaments or equipment of note, which he promptly distributes to the adult civilians who had initially been part of the caravan. He then retrieves the shield of the fallen mother, delivering it to the surviving father, commenting, "Tomorrow night, it will be a token you can treasure to remember the bravery of that woman. Tonight, it protects you, who will be protecting your children, who will be protected by us.", he says with a sweep of his arm to Hager, Ander, and the others. Knowing full well that none of them may have never used a blade as a weapon in their lives, let alone a sling, he suggests, "Keep your weapons visible and do your best to look threatening. That will help sell the disguise, if nothing else."
pre:
I am not sure what all the kobolds had, but I will arm the civilians with simple weapons.
If there is anything else of note on the bodies, let me know.

Relevant data - PHB pg. 146:
"Most people can use simple weapons with proficiency. These weapons include
clubs, maces, and other weapons often found in the hands of commoners."
When the group is fully garbed and armed, he returns to the lead wagon of the caravan for a final moment, reaching beneath the seat where he had been riding. Thereabouts, wedged where he left it in between a few bolts of linen, he retrieves his folded cape - which he hadn't bothered to wear during the day, as doing so while riding a wagon was the height of tacky. Suspecting that it might raise difficult questions, he slipped the amulet he wore around his neck depicting the holy symbol of the Red Knight beneath his armor, tucked away behind the protective linens and leather he wore to keep from chafing. He then proceeded to unfurl the cape and carefully attach its loops to the receiving hinges he had crafted into the shoulders of his splint mail.

Giving himself the once-over and focusing for a moment on the recently-cleaned cape - with black velvet exterior, gold thread along the edging, and a dark blue interior - he wondered idly on the colorings of the apparent attackers of Greenest. Moving his gaze on to the rest of his armor, which also bore the Zhentarim colors of black and midnight blue with gold accents, he dearly hoped he wasn't wandering in on the wrong side of a full-scale Zhentarim reprisal to this city. It wouldn't make much sense though, as the dragon wasn't an ally of nearby Darkhold, as far as he knew, and creatures as lowly as kobolds certainly didn't count themselves among the ranks of the elite mercenaries.

Approaching the edge of town...
He gives a silent nod of agreement to Janelle, Hager, and Ander. The civilians inside that tavern deserved to be rescued, and the six attackers at its door had to die as a result. He suggested, "The three of us should be able to handle it if we act in unison.", motioning to Hager, Ander, and himself. Looking to Jared and Janelle, he asked, "artillery support to pick off any wounded survivors on your end, Jared? And something defensive prepared to interdict if things go awry, Janelle?" Looking to the disguised civilians, he suggests, "I'd ready yourselves to avoid anything troublesome, just in case."
pre:
Recommending the civilians all ready the 'Dodge' action:
• When you take the Dodge action, you focus entirely on avoiding attacks.
Until the start of your next turn, any attack roll made against you has
disadvantage if you can see the attacker, and you make Dexterity saving
throws with advantage.

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 27, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The kobolds finally manage to pry open the door to the tavern. They yelp in victory as the screams within intensify.

The attackers aren't expecting trouble from 'fellow raiders' and you aren't close enough for them to see through your poor disguises. If you (individually) are trying the stealthy approach, roll stealth and beat a 10 (the enemies' passive perception). If you do, you get to act in the surprise round. Roll initiative too. If you beat the enemies' init, take your normal turn. If you roll a 10+ stealth and a 6+ init you get to go twice! Don't wait to see what else happens on the surprise round, just take both turns right away.

kobold init, cultist init: 1d20+2 3 1d20+1 6

For this one we will use a grid. Specify where you go. Each square is 5 feet. Diagonal movement costs 5 feet. Enemies are numbered on the map.

:rolldice: -11/13HP
6: -AC12 9/9HP
3: -AC12 5/5HP

ritorix fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 27, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

Creeping through the grass and concealing her silhouette with her shield, Nel gets the drop on the distracted enemies and whip cracks her sling at them twice before they can react. One kobold dies happy with a hole in its head, but the cultist behind it looks to be still standing after the acorn shatters on impact instead of punching through. drat. Must have been malformed, had a crack. She'd have to be more selective in the future when it came to ammunition.

In the meantime, one of the fighting men could finish the wounded enemy off.

Stealth; Initiative: 1d20+5 22 1d20+3 20
sling attacks; damages: 2#1d20+5 20 13 2#1d4+3 7 4
10/10 HP; 17 AC; 1d8 HD; Healing Word, Entangle, Goodberry, Thunderwave; 9/10 Healkit
Ending at to J -1, attacking Kobolds 1 and 2 in that order.
Eff it, someone else killed kobold 2 before the second round, so I'll set up Cultist 2 to be finished off.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 27, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ander Basha
HP 11/11|AC 16|Daily healing remaining:4
Ander stalks up towards the Kobolds, looking for all the world like a Wearer of the Purple should. Not revealing his true intention until he is right next to the remaining Kobold.

In one swift motion he draws his greatsword and brings the hilt down, caving in the Kobold's skull. Then he spins to the side, cleaving through another Kobold and gravely wounding one of the cultists.

"Welcome to Greenest, I hope you enjoy your very short stay."

Stealth: 2d20l1+1 13
Initiative: 1d20+1 19
Move to K5
Attacking Kobold2: 1d20+5 13 2d6+3 8

Second Turn

Move to L8 via M7, avoiding AAOs

Attacking Kobold 4: 1d20+5 16 2d6+3 6
Bonus: GWM vs Cultist 2: 1d20+5 22 2d6+3 7

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 27, 2014

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 10/10 (1HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/1

Jared walks forward, though not as far as the others, and does a terrible job of moving quietly. That said he is able to react before the kobolds and cultists are entirely sure what is going on.

He raises his hand and unleashes a bolt of purple eldritch energy at one of the cultists, feeling that they are the greatest threat.

Stealth, Initiative 1d20+2 3 and 1d20+2 10
Either stay where he is or move to a nearby square if he needs a better position to target his enemy.
Eldritch Blast vs AC of Cultist 1 1d20+5 12 for 1d10 5 force damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
pre:
Stealth:    15 [Disadvantage]
Initiative: Literally Zero
Despite his heavy armoring, Zedekiah moved across the grass like a living shadow, closing the distance between himself and the huddled mass of kobolds with practiced ease. Not wanting to draw attention, he had intended to draw his weapon only at the last possible moment, and so had been approaching them with open hands. When a rock-hard acorn whizzed past him and split open the head of the nearby kobold, and Ander danced into the fray with a life-ending stroke to the other member of the closest duo of kobolds, he amended his strategy slightly.

Stepping up to the dying creature's body, he gave the still-twitching hand of the kobold a kick with his armored heel, knocking the dagger it had been holding upwards and into the air. Angling himself slightly, he twisted and caught it on the upswing, and then completed a throw using the momentum of the twist to send it spinning towards the throat of the male cultist nearby, who seemed to still be caught up in the excitement of having finally gotten the door open.
pre:
Surprise Round
Move:     M0>L1>L6 (30')
          - Pick up the dagger of the defeated kobold (K6).
Action:   Attack [Dagger: Thrown/Range 20'] vs. Cultist #1
            Hit - 11
               or 13 [Advantage]
                  • I am not sure if succeeding on the initial stealth check
                    caused me to be hidden.  If so, advantage might apply.
            Damage - 6 piercing

Relevant data - Interacting with Objects Around You:
"Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in
tandem with your movement and action:
• pick up a dropped axe"

Waador fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 27, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

Stealth / Initative: 2#1d20+2 3 / 4
If I read the deaths correctly, cultists are dead and I go before the remaining Kobold 3.

Having to put the man down slowed him too much, or maybe it's just his companions are simply too fast. By now the Cultists have noticed their ruse, though the damage has already been done. Grabbing his sword and charging forward to the last remaining Kobold, Hager yells loudly, "Hey! Save one for meeee!"

Moving to K7, 30 feet.
Attacking Kobold 3: 1#1d20+5 18
Minimum 5 damage.

An upwards swipe of his blade carves a bloody gash out of the Kobold from stomach to shoulder.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 27, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

The massacre is over in seconds. No one even had time to call for help. Lucky you.

Rushing out of the burning tavern are two older gentlemen. They are holding tightly onto bottles. Whiskey, from the smell coming off them. A few moments later an older lady comes out, tsking at the drunks.

"Thank you, whoever you are! You saved us! Is there a way out of this madness?"

Murder-hobos are in full effect, I see. You killed them all before they even got a turn. As a result you now have 16 civilians in tow. Do you continue down the road to the castle, or do you try to stick to the alleys and back ways?

-11/13HP

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Eyeing the savagely beaten humans, he looks to Ander and Janelle, suggesting, "A prisoner might be wise, if we can manage to quickly stabilize one of them and don't mind carrying them with us. We have no idea who these people are, and I wouldn't mind fixing that. What do you think?"
pre:
Looting the bodies.
Arming any civilians who aren't yet armed, unless they are drunk.
He explains to the woman, as well as the drunken men, "We're hiding in plain sight and making our way to the keep, which is believed to still be safe."

Zedekiah takes a moment to retrieve additional belongings and armaments from the slain creatures, thinking better of giving daggers or other weaponry to the drunks, but retrieving the actual uniform-cloaks and outfits of the murdered cultists and informing the two men, "Put these on. Leave the bottles. Until we're inside the keep, you're one of them. Don't make eye contact with anybody." Waving to the other civilians, he beckons one over, whispering, "An extra robe for the young lady, please.", now glad that he had the foresight to ensure they crafted extra disguises.

After a moment of thought, he decides to spend a precious second trying to squeeze some strategic value out of the newcomers. If the building was truly constructed as a keep, rather than some lord's toy castle, it might have been designed by someone with a brain. He asks the woman, as well as the drunks, "Since you live in this city, I don't suppose any of you know of a way into the keep other than the front door? Assuming it was designed to actually weather a siege."

Waador fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 27, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

Hager appreciates how well the group handled the situation, basking in the aftermath of a swift brawl. It isn't until the drunkards with bottles in hand spill out from the door that he realizes what the building even is.

"A tavern!" He shouts with elation. As a drunkard comes to thank him, he swipes the bottle of whiskey from his hand, "Think nothing of it, my friend!", quaffing the bottle near empty. With an exacerbated exhale, "Ahh, nice bite! Is that a tinge of honey?" Shouting across the way, "Jared, you gotta try this!.." It takes him a few moments of swinging the bottle in the air to realize it is essentially empty. "Ah.. Nevermind!" He returns the bottle to the puzzled drunkard with a smile, letting Zedekiah bring them up to speed.

Before he can hoist the injured man from the floor once more, the Dragon in his mind berates him for his consumption of booze. [Mind Dragon: "Even in a city burning in flames, enemies around any corner, civilians to think of and Lennithon flying about overhead, you still find time to drink. You give drunkards a bad name."]

"It was barely a few mouthfuls, and I don't judge YOU for being an egotistical prick!" The injured man is no doubt startled by the comment. Hager looks to him as he lifts him onto his back. "Sorry, not you. I was talking to the Dragon in my head."

e: I'll vote for the straight-to-the-keep path, putting faith in our disguises.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 27, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
One drunk turns to the other.

"Whaaaatever you do, dun tell em about the shhhally port!" he slurs drunkenly.

The other one says, "But they helped us! That won't be any good if the keep's under attack. There's the old tunnel too. It empties out into the stream...if it's still open. Ain't been that way since I was a wee lad."

Sounds like you have a few options.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He frowns a bit on the inside, not particularly liking the idea of trusting the fate of the civilians to a drunk. Still, if it was true, it was a good option. Looking to Janelle, Hager, Ander, and Jared, he inquired, "If there is an entrance bordering the stream, that might serve us well. Getting there is likely to draw less attention than walking down main street. What do you think?"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

"Gods, a stream is gonna stink up my hide boots :woop:somethin' awful:woop:. But, I'm not eager to get into a scuffle with our less trained friends here and this guy on my back. If you can find the path, I'll be right behind."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

After a bit of searching, and with the help of the townsfolk, you manage to find the old tunnel near the stream. The tunnel entrance is covered with a grate, made to look like a sewer exit.

The inside doesn't look very wide. You'll have to go in single-file. But first, you'll have to get in.

You can try to pick it or brute force the gate. Give me your best shot and I'll let you know if you succeed.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

"We can't break in, or we could be more easily followed... I'll handle this."

Nel does something she rarely does and fishes an elven hairpin out from under her turban, and takes out her teardrop earring. She kisses it for luck and tries to pick the lock on the sewer grate.

That was part of what she and the elf who got her exiled had learned from each other. The druid shared her expertise on sneaking through the wilderness to avoid persecution, Zel shared how she sneaked out of civilization where she was locked up like a trophy.

Thievery: 1d20+3 22

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Nell finds the lock nearly rusted shut, but she is able to work it open. A few of the commoners clap behind you. They remark how they've never heard of anyone going in here in years. Not since...well, no one can really remember.

Before you is a lengthy dark tunnel, presumably leading up to the castle. The tunnel is only wide enough for one person at a time.

I'll need a marching order, specifically who is going first and second. Those two can use their passive perception to scout ahead, the rest will be too far back to really see. And there is no light, so someone will need to be on torch duty.

-11/13HP

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

Nel shushes the clappers, this wasn't the time. "Thank me when you're safe."

She lights her hooded lamp with a Produce Flame spell, and takes point quietly. Being noisy would make it harder to hear what she needed to hear: anything lurking beyond the light of the flame.

30ft bright, 30ft dim; PP 20, PI 17

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

"I'll take the rear, behind the rest. Me and my pal here will be slowing everyone down otherwise in this tight space. If anything creeps up on us, I get the glory of punching it in the schnoz."

Hager has the man on his back latch his hooded lantern off his bag and onto his belt, then lighting it with his tinder box.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Although he didn't clap, for the obvious reason of not wanting to draw the attention of murderous kobolds, he was impressed and deeply appreciative of Janelle's efforts to open the grate silently. His admiration doubled in size when the woman offered to take point scouting down the pitch black tunnel.

Turning to the others, he nodded in response to Hager's assessment. "I think we would all feel comfortable with you and your brother as rearguard, if you're both willing and able. The width of the tunnel will prevent any serious assault from behind, but if someone does try to sneak up on us, I'd be intensely surprised if you weren't able to beat them to death. And a little bit of artillery support from your brother might make a larger force think twice about following us in."

Turning to Ander, he commented, "The two of us can function as vanguard, with Janelle scouting a bit ahead of us, if you wish. Given the amount of noise our armor makes - before taking into account the literal conga line of refugees we're bringing with us - I think it's a safe bet that anyone stationed down here is going to hear us coming. I intend to play it defensively in case someone looses a stray arrow before realizing we are allies, as such a misunderstanding could be forgiven given the circumstances." Looking at the man's armaments, he suggested, "Between the two of us, I should likely go in front, given that I have a shield. Unless you really want to go first, in which case, I'm not fussed."
pre:
I will follow Janelle, giving her as much space as she wants.
It sounds like Ander will come along in the front row, before the civilians.

Waador fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 28, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
With Nell leading the way, you head down the tunnel, commoners safely between the combatants. The townsfolk are obviously frightened, but thankful they aren't outside getting sliced by kobolds.

The tiny tunnel follows a trickle of water that joins the stream below. The air here is damp, the walls slick with moisture and the smell is rather musty. Those at the front frequently have to clear cobwebs to make room for everyone to move forward.

Ahead, Nell hears skittering. She can see a pile of debris choking the waterway. It looks like discarded barrels and crates. They might have floated this far down and become stuck.

| |
| |
| |
| civs |
| civs |
| civs |
| civs |
| |
| |-11/13HP (carrying )

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Approaching the hot mess of barrels, Zedekiah sighs and sheathes his longsword. Looking the pile over for a moment, he suggests, "I'd rather know what is inside these before knocking any of them around too violently." Reaching into his backpack, he retrieves a three-foot-long piece of cast iron, shaped like a crow's foot at the tip, with a wedge on the other end. In the dim light of the tunnel, given her observant nature, Janelle would likely notice an engraving in the Draconic language along the side of the tool, reading 'Whosoever holds this iron crow, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of a Freeman'. Approaching the pile, he begins prying open the crates and barrels with one hand, hoping to confirm they do not contain anything particularly dangerous.
pre:
Strength: 16 [Advantage] (or Athletics 18)

Crowbar: Using a crowbar grants advantage to Strength checks
         where the crowbar’s leverage can be applied.

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Zed's prying disturbs a rat nest amid the debris. He is soon surrounded by hundreds of the things, and they madly bite and claw as they scurry for cover. More continue to stream out of the debris.

nell init: 1d20+3 11 ander init: 1d20+1 8
rat swarm init: 1d20 7 zed init: 1d20-1 0

Hager and Jared are too far back to aid in combat. Far too many civilians are in the way of any shots they could take. As for the townsfolk, they can't quite tell what is going on up front, but they seem pretty scared.

The rat swarm is surrounding Zed, occupying the same space. Nell and Ander can act. Ander, Nell acts as cover to you if you try to shoot something into the rats.

|{}|-surrounded by a swarm of rats
| | :rolldice:
| | :rolldice:
| civs |
| (15x)|
| civs |
| civs |
| |
| |-11/13HP (carrying )

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

The druid jumps up and does the splits, bracing herself against the narrow corridor walls so she could light the scene and rain fire on the rats from above without the fighters, or any 'help' from the brothers, messing her up. Seemed like they could use a culling. She also tells the civilians to start backing up, in case a flood of water or rats or barrel pieces washed past them.

"Give us some room, there's a blockage."
Produce Flame; damage: 1d20+5 16 1d8 5

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha
HP 11/11|AC 16|Daily healing remaining:4|Javelins remaining: 4

"What the hell did you do now Zed. I'm a holy warrior, not an exterminator. I don't even have a hunting dog!"

He hurls a javelin between Nel's legs and misses wildly.

Javelin vs Rats: 1d20+5 8 1d6+3 5

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
Rolling his eyes, he comments wryly to Ander, "At least they aren't crabs."
Sighing, he takes one final look at his meticulously clean cape as the river of rats begins to flow around him.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

Chitter chatter blah blah jingle jangle. Noise. If it wasn't their inside out coinpurse bodysuits it was their battle banter.

"Bite your tongue, or a rat will."

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

".. And so it turns out bear intestines can be used for a lot of things, but apparently that was not one of them.. Hey, are we stopped? What's going on up there?"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Jared
HP: 10/10 (1HD) | AC: 13 | Spells: 1/1

Jared tilts his head, "I hear some grunting, and some ...quipping? Did someone step in something and the others are making fun of them?"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The swarm bites and nips at Zed as it runs about. Sealed tight as he is, they do no actual damage.

rat swarm bites vs Zed: 1d20+2 10 2d6 11

Within seconds the swarm vacates their nest, rushing downstream towards the civilians. By now the first rank of townsfolk has noticed what is coming, and they don't have the benefit of a full suit of armor to protect them. Screams ring out through the cavern. They turn and start pushing each other, piling up in an attempt to escape. An old man falls in the water, pushed by someone behind as they rush past. It's chaos.

| |:rolldice:
|{}|-surrounded by a swarm of rats :rolldice:
| civs |
| (15x)|
| civs |
| civs |
| |
| |-11/13HP (carrying )

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Zedekiah

13 HP // 20 AC
He looks on with incredulity as the morass of vermin scuttle around him, more than a little amused when a few of them get the idea to bite at him, presumably to spur him out of their way. He holds back any real laughter, though, deciding it to be reasonably wise to heed Janelle's advice regarding keeping his mouth shut.

As the vermin-tide continues onwards down the tunnel, he senses an opportunity as it surrounds the area below Janelle, who appears to have shimmied herself halfway up the wall, bracing herself with both legs against its sides. Setting his crowbar gently against the side of the tunnel, he reaches into one of the four stuffed-to-the-brim pouches hanging from his belt and retrieves a clay flask. Removing its stopper, he hurls the flask like a baseball into the area beneath Janelle where the rats now linger, shattering the flask on impact and spraying the displaced vermin with a thick coating of oil.

Looking at the creatures for a moment, their fur now slick with the substance, he comments flippantly, "Presumably a pity."

He then flashes a glance upwards to Janelle, obviously encouraging her to do the honors.
pre:
Move:     Dropping my crowbar, retrieving a flask of oil.
Action:   Use an object
            Hit - 17*
            Effect - Covered in oil

Oil:      As an action, you can splash the oil in this flask onto
          a creature within 5 feet of you or throw it up to 20 feet,
          shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a
          target creature or object, treating the oil as an improvised
          weapon.

On a hit, the target is covered in oil. If the target takes any
          fire damage before the oil dries (after 1 minute), the target
          takes an additional 5 fire damage from the burning oil.

*I forgot to use dexterity instead of strength, so the roll is 17 but reads as 21 on Orokos.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

Attempting to regain order through Intimidation.
Intimidation: 1#1d20+2 12

"Hey louts! Stop pushin'! Or me and my brother be nockin' ya' silly heads! Get that man back on his feet!"

Hager is willing to work with Jager and walk the civies backwards, calmly, through the tunnel so long as it helps maintain order until the rat crisis is over.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

The smell of burning rats was about to get a lot worse, depending on what kind of oil Zed's people used to light their lamps. If it had been hers, it'd be ghee or nut oil, and she would know the flames wouldn't climb that high once she sparked them. It'd be like jumping over campfires like silly kids dared one another to do. She braces herself in case the smith is making a call for her to roast her own legs, and casts the spell again.

Produce Flame; damage: 1d20+5 10 1d8 1

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha

Ander looses his longsword and slashes at the now-flaming rats swarming around Nel's feet

Longsword vs Rats: 1d20+5 12 1d8+3 6

"Are you guys trying to make this more difficult? Now they're oily and on fire!"

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The rats are engulfed, sending them into a flurry of motion even stronger than before. The fire doesn't do much for civilian morale either. It's a full-blown stampede to get out of the tunnel. Suddenly the kobolds don't seem so bad.

Ander finds himself face-to-face with a flaming horde of rats. The fires burn strong and are more of a threat than any rat nibbles. He might end up cooked - as might the civilians at his back.

The rats take 5 damage from fire, and 3 (half) from Ander. Normally oil burns in the square it was spilled, but I'll rule that the fire follows the swarm. If Ander ends his turn here, he will take 5 fire damage from the flames.

Zed gets an OA as the swarm leaves his area.

rat swarm bites vs Ander: 1d20+2 9 2d6 11. Miss.

|{}|-surrounded by a swarm of flaming rats :supaburn: :rolldice:
| civs |
| (15x)|
| civs |
| civs |
| |
| |-11/13HP (carrying )

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ander Basha

"FOR THE GODS SAKES YOU BENIGHTED MORONS WHAT ON FAERUN POSSESSED YOU TO MAKE YOU BELIEVE THAT THIS COULD POSSIBLY BE A GOOD IDEA!?"

With a hearty shove he pushes Nel forward and ducks forward out of the way of the rats.

"Hager! Let the civilians back! The witch lit the rats on fire!"

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Hager [Info/Quicklook]

"What?! A lich with a rack is tired?! Now's not the time to appreciate sweaty breasts! Kill it and calm these people down! Gods it smells like burning rats down here!"

It takes all he and his brother have to keep the crowd from stomping on each other, but the group is making progress backwards somewhat.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
An OA vs Ander: 1d20+2 13 2d6 8 misses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Janelle

It's not even worth telling everyone to shut up anymore. This is her life: calmly casting spells while grown men and women--albeit of civilization--cowered like children at rats and fire. She finds the time to be grateful for her perch above all the stupidity, and continues to rain down firey wrath on the vermin underneath her.

Produce Flame; damage: 1d20+5 16 1d8 4

• Locked thread