Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of XCom 2, the changes are all super rad. One odd thing I noticed is that your guys can run really far. I think I like that change, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
e: Whoops

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of XCom 2, the changes are all super rad. One odd thing I noticed is that your guys can run really far. I think I like that change, personally.

Yeah the impression I got was that EVERYTHING is more active and frenetic now, I'm excited.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chard posted:

Yeah the impression I got was that EVERYTHING is more active and frenetic now, I'm excited.

I wonder if SHIVs (if they are an option) will be able to carry bodies or gear to the extraction zone? Probably not, which could put a dent in people starting to like SHIVs more after the EW upgrades.

"This rookie might not be much, but at least he can carry a body! Sorry Billy the stabilized Squaddie, I need this Alien for interrogation bonuses!"

Wait... If we need to carry bodies to the extraction zone... How are we going to manage that on a good chunk of the enemy list? Berserkers are probably pretty heavy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Apparently to loot bodies and equipment you need to get them all out manually, so yeah, you need to run further and faster.

They've been mum on whether or not gene mods or MECs (at least, player-controlled MECs) are in but it'd be such a tease to leave them out.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Speedball posted:

Apparently to loot bodies and equipment you need to get them all out manually, so yeah, you need to run further and faster.

Given that you're supposed to be on the run in this one, it makes sense that your team no longer has the luxury of just gathering up everything after the dust settles. Should make for an interesting change to the dynamics of the gameplay.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Someone is going to cook up a Fulton Recovery System mod as soon as the game comes out, then it will be all balloons all the time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IMJack posted:

Someone is going to cook up a Fulton Recovery System mod as soon as the game comes out, then it will be all balloons all the time.

I would not be surprised if this could eventually be put in the game, ahahaha.

Even if it isn't, it's looking like this coming September is going to have a lot of Fultoning. (And sadly, since Kojima and Konami look like they're splitsville, Metal Gear Solid V may be the LAST game that has Fulton Recovery System for a while...)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Philosophically-speaking, MGSV completes the storyline from Big Boss to Solid Snake. Does there really *need* to be another game? (Or at least, one that doesn't involve Raiden turning everything in his path into a fine mist?)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Philosophically-speaking, MGSV completes the storyline from Big Boss to Solid Snake. Does there really *need* to be another game? (Or at least, one that doesn't involve Raiden turning everything in his path into a fine mist?)

No, but Kojima did say he always wanted to do a story about the Boss fighting Nazis.

Imagine that for a second. Hideo Kojima... doing Wolfenstein... with a female lead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

No, but Kojima did say he always wanted to do a story about the Boss fighting Nazis.

Imagine that for a second. Hideo Kojima... doing Wolfenstein... with a female lead.

I'm throwing all of my money but nothing is happening :qq: :negative:

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS

Speedball posted:

You're forgetting something. The Boss has her infinite-ammo Patriot gun. Just mowing down swarms of Les Infants Hitlers, all the time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Watercrown posted:

You're forgetting something. The Boss has her infinite-ammo Patriot gun. Just mowing down swarms of Les Infants Hitlers, all the time.

So some sort of weird Dynasty Warriors-like? Jesus christ I'd buy it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He really, really doesn't want to make another MGS game. Also it looks like he'll have to join the "prolific japanese devs that got booted from stupid companies and had to bow down to kickstarer for funding" bandwagon. I'd love to see a new IP from Kojima honestly. It's a shame that Silent Hills is dead, because that felt like his best chance to get away from MGS.

IMJack posted:

I wonder if Firaxis might just put it in as a silly homage to Kojima. But they generally don't reference outside their own properties as far as I've seen, so probably not.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 20, 2015

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Hey, bit late to the party but best of luck on Monday! You got me interested in Civ, and Xcom since then so I hope you're right as rain soon afterwards :)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'm still putting my money on "this is Kojima being really big on tricking people", alongside "Jack bauer isn't really voicing big boss in MGSV".

I just need to believe it. :negative:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My money is that Big Boss gets voiced by Jack Bauer, just that I'm also betting on a stinger of Solid Snake being inserted into Outer Heaven.

Hell, I wouldn't turn down playing Metal Gear from the side of Big Boss as being the end sequence.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The part of MGS4 where you could pilot Metal Gear Rex was so satisfying. Criminally short.

If Kojima wants to make a game where you control a giant robot, I will kickstart it. I will kickstart it ALLLLL.

Uploading update. Ten minutes, I hope.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 41: My Hate For You Is Like a Truck (Furies)

We’ve just finished all our basic research on the alien propulsion.
Awesome. Dr. Shen, you have your work cut out for you. I’d also like some SHIVs ASAP.
You got it, Commander. They’ll be done as soon as I can.
In addition, Dr. Cobra has helped us learn all the ins and outs of our new live sample.

Subduing the creature was extremely difficult. It’s not merely strong or heavily-armored; its instincts are overwhelmingly aggressive. Completely negative reactions to pain. We could only calm it by activating the pleasure centers of its brain.

The way its armor was customized to its body was extremely interesting. It sacrifices no movement, yet affords it immense protection. We also discovered that it’s essentially power armor. We should be able to create some of our own.
So, these are a sub-species of mutons?
Female mutons, actually. Or what’s left of them after extensive genetic manipulation. Their “berserker rage” is a modified maternal instinct. Males will usually assert themselves for self-promotion, but mothers will face death without hesitation for the safety of their young.
You got that right. Though since they’re a clone race now, I guess none of them are actually mothers.
Whoever their masters are, they must be horrible. Our modified troops are still people, but the mutons and floaters can now be nothing but living weapons.

After its death, we extruded a number of useful chemicals and traits, such as a stimulant that would be compatible with humans, and a gene mod that would make the recipient completely immune to mind control and highly resistant to all other forms of psionic attack. As a bonus, the gene mod would make the subject immune to panic in the field, without making them lose any of their self-control.
Sounds like something good to give to the less-stable members of our team…

At least you still have a family.
Pft. No, I don’t. I’m a clone of the real Yoko, not—
Well, then, you’re like her sister, aren’t you? Why not talk to “the real” Yoko’s family? They’re still alive. They could even donate some DNA to make you resemble them again. There’s a hole in their lives right now, ever since they found the other Yoko dead in the alien base. You could fill it.
Maybe… but I don’t know. Eva’s family rejected her. I’d go crazy if the same happened to me.

You’re good. Don’t you ever get tired?
Ha! Not anymore. It’s a good thing we’ve discovered the genetic fountain of youth, the real one’s still frozen beneath Antarctica.
I have no idea how much of your supposed paranormal background is real or bullshit.
Oh, well, you see, the truth is that everything’s real. Just not all at once.

Why the hell are you always so cheery, Zinchenko? Didn’t your homeland get blown up a few times already by now?
Of course that upsets me. But you see, Peter, in my country we learned long ago how to find merriness no matter how miserable things are. Many tiny joys make one big sorrow go away.
…you’re talking about taking swigs of vodka, aren’t you. Are you drunk during the missions?
That would explain his terrible aim.
What?! No! I can shoot things normally. I’ll prove it!

Commander! Emergency mission from the Council! They discovered another UFO holding Annette’s fellow psionic test subjects!
No!
We need to move fast. Anyone who’s not sick or in testing, pile on!

I’m going. They were my only friends in that horrible base, I need to know they lived.
Cam, Eva, and Hugo are still scratched-up and Zhang’s in testing. It’s up to us!
I’m going too.

It’s another abductor-class UFO, but set up as a mobile laboratory for doing experiments.
Your friends are on that ship. You sure you’re not telepathic enough to communicate with them?
I wish I was. If we make it through this I swear I’ll let Vahlen do whatever she wants to me to awaken my powers.

Uh-oh. Proximity alert. This UFO sensed you incoming, somehow. We’ve got alarm bells going off.
poo poo. Annette. They sensed Annette coming!

Translating… something intercepted about… “Terminate the test subjects?”
What? We gotta go, NOW. Zin, you better not faff about when lives are on the line!
I am more serious than you, my friend! Let’s go!

Use the cars as cover. Approach quickly but carefully. Snipers, get ready to provide us covering fire.
Of course. That’s one thing I’m good at.
I’m going first!

She returns! Good.
You! YOU MONSTERS! Thin Men!

Don’t worry. They’re poisonous and good shots, but our weapons’ll kill ‘em in one hit!
Ha, they’re taking up positions on the sides of the cover. Go for their flanks!

I have this.
Zin? You’re using your rifle?
There comes a time in every sniper’s life when he must use his rifle.

He actually hit it…
I’ve got the other one!

Wait for his head to pop up again… and…

THERE! Push forward!
I can’t see the third. Establish overwatch! (That’s the right phrase, right?)

Got him, but he hit a big red button first! The test subjects are being terminated!
NO!

Annette and I are immune to the poison. Everyone else, be careful!

More of them dropping down around us. They were hiding in the forest… this is an ambush!

Oh poo poo BERSERKER!

Don’t worry, Peter, I’ve got her!

GAUGH! GET OFF!

Brute, you die now!

THERE! Peter, you okay?
Yeah, fine. And completely covered in blood, but whatever. Keep going!

Ha ha! Kiss my rear end, you serpentine motherfuckers! Snipers, he’s exposed, get ‘em!

This one is mine.

Yoko, keep moving up!
Uh, right. I’ll throw a mimic beacon, too, maybe that will draw them out.
I’m charging forward!

There’s more of them here! At least five! Help! Falling back!

Got one. Quick, get in there before they kill her!

OWWW! You got some balls, you shithead!
The mimic beacon’s driving them crazy, pulling them towards it out of cover.
But that still means closer to us!

Another one falls to my photons!

Got the one on the far left.
There’s a couple more hiding back there, I’ll sneak around behind them and flank ‘em!

Sir! You must be more careful! They could kill you!
Bah! Long as you kids are okay, it’s fine.
I need you to help me kill them, and you can’t do that if you’re dead!
Hah. Good point.

AAAH! More keep coming!
We will drown you in our own poison blood if we must! Today you fall, XCOM!

I heard a big “thump” on the roof! Sounds like another one of those mean red Berserkers. Gomez, we’ll need your punch!

Got the one by the ramp. The general’s patched up. We need to catch up to Mama Watkins.

Looks like the abductees are still alive. We need to disable or destroy the command console that’s set to kill them.

There’s a Thin Man and a Berserker in here. Ghosting myself, I need backup fast.

I’ve grappled up to the roof of the UFO. It’s all flat up here. I can’t reach the Berserker yet.

But I can reach you.
AAUGH! drat you!

AUGH! poo poo! *kablam!* It sees me!

Don’t worry, I have her! Go to the console, quickly!

Heh heh. Your laser pistol might kill me… or might not. If it doesn’t, I will kill you in the counterattack. I believe they say… “Feeling lucky, punk?”
You’re right. Only a fool trusts his life to a gun. So… let’s fight like honest men. No guns.
Hah! I accept.

GUAGGHH!
Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha! Grenades. If only I could kiss them after they did their work.

I’m at the console. Annette, what buttons do I press?
The green one with the triangle on it! That’s the cancellation button! Quickly!

Looks like that’s it, commander. There weren’t even any Sectoid Commanders in this ship. The whole thing was a trap… but we’re safe and so are the other abductees.
Who knows, maybe they’ll want to join us too. It’d be nice to have some more confirmed psychics on our side.

Fffuuuuck! I’m getting old. I can’t keep up anymore.
You could get gene-modded like me.
Nah. Not really my style. I’m just going to go nurse the scotch for a week while I mend.

The good news is, Annette’s friends want to join us after all. The bad news is… well. You know what they say, we’re not created equal. Their will and aim scores aren’t even necessarily as good as our best guys yet, so we won’t throw them in the Psi Labs unless we really need to.
So far, everyone but Cam keeps testing negative.
Then I’ll go. We know, at least that I can do it.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 21, 2015

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I loved that mission for the "Oh poo poo, MOVE!" it throws at you the moment you trigger your first spawn.

It usually turns out you have *some* time to spare, but you don't know that beforehand and you wind up having to choose between moving carefully and keeping your existing soldiers safe but risking the captives or trying to rush to save the captives and risk walking into an ambush.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Speedball posted:

The part of MGS4 where you could pilot Metal Gear Rex was so satisfying. Criminally short.

If Kojima wants to make a game where you control a giant robot, I will kickstart it. I will kickstart it ALLLLL.

You are aware of this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdCLLMTJ3wo

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The ZOE games are plenty fun but you don't ever feel big. You're so fast and light.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

I mean "play Metal Gear" as in, "Play Big Boss's side of the events of the very first NES/MSX2 game."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I mean "play Metal Gear" as in, "Play Big Boss's side of the events of the very first NES/MSX2 game."

Poisonous zanzibar hamster raising minigame?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Section Z posted:

And extensive radio discussions about how much Big Boss loves his little pets.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kaosdrachen posted:

I loved that mission for the "Oh poo poo, MOVE!" it throws at you the moment you trigger your first spawn.

It usually turns out you have *some* time to spare, but you don't know that beforehand and you wind up having to choose between moving carefully and keeping your existing soldiers safe but risking the captives or trying to rush to save the captives and risk walking into an ambush.

This mission is bizarrely trivial after the drat dam mission. You have loads of time, you can park snipers by the Skyranger and (with squadsight) they'll be able to pick off foes even into the early parts of the structure, the only enemies are Thin Men and Berserkers, and the game doesn't pull that "surprise! enemies just airlifted onto your position and established immediate squadsight" thing the dam mission did.

Also, you can just blow up the console with a rocket or kinetic strike instead of moving someone up to politely disarm it. So as soon as you reach the center room you can stop the timer.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Section Z posted:

I keep throwing money at it but nothing is happening

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder how you will characterise the captives from that mission... if I recall, they always have the same names and nationality every time, and I remember that 2 of them share the same last name, I think those 2 are brother and sister or something. Of course, unlike Annette and Zhang, you could customise them to have different names and appearance if you want.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Working on next update, would like it to happen on a different page so we don't get flooded with images. So:

DISCUSSION TIME:

What kind of new aliens would you like to see in XCOM 2, or expect to see? Either from a visual standpoint, or a mechanical-gameplay standpoint.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Completely normal, non-modded scrubby human security guards who would present us with the moral/strategic dilemma of whether to shoot them or try to avoid them, given that human deaths will potentially turn public opinion against us.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Seekers that can turn their targets into Chryssalid zombies. :getin:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well since the aliens have been confirmed to be mixing human dna to their own troops, I expect the floaters to be these dual wielding mouth frothing maniacs. If the Cryssalids make a comeback I want a variant that does combat while attaching themselves onto the walls to take advantage of their biology. Another thing I would like to see is redesigned aliens from Apocalypse, just something to reinforce the idea that the Ethereals now have alot more time to tinker with the human genome, and this is their fruits of labor.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This mission is bizarrely trivial after the drat dam mission. You have loads of time, you can park snipers by the Skyranger and (with squadsight) they'll be able to pick off foes even into the early parts of the structure, the only enemies are Thin Men and Berserkers, and the game doesn't pull that "surprise! enemies just airlifted onto your position and established immediate squadsight" thing the dam mission did.

Also, you can just blow up the console with a rocket or kinetic strike instead of moving someone up to politely disarm it. So as soon as you reach the center room you can stop the timer.

I rocked the console with a MEC'S Collateral Damage nearly half the map away. It was awesome.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Seekers that can turn their targets into Chryssalid zombies. :getin:

So Tentaculats from Terror From The Deep then. No thank you. *shudder*

I'd quite like to see a refinement of the Thin Men, especially if our battlefields are going to contain civilians - I can imagine scenarios in which we sneak our soldiers through a crowd, but if one of them is secretly a Thin Man then our cover may be blown too soon. One thing I think was missing from EU and EW was an upgraded Thin Man for the late game.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
You know what would be awesome?
So, you're taking your turn normally, looking for the best cover, trying to watch for flanking lines, looking for meld, trying to stagger your overwatches, the usual.
But something feels... off...
You keep taking your turns, everything seems pretty quiet, you are moving up with the stealth and grace of a well-oiled machine.
But somewhere, in the back of your mind, there is some little detail that you keep overlooking and you can't figure it out.
You finally activate a pod, your team is in great cover, you get ready to take your shot and suddenly, as your soldier spins and starts flanking your other squaddies, it dawns on you.
You had too many soldiers. You've been giving orders to 7 when you only brought 6. He was an alien. He was an alien all along.
THE SHOTS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE SQUAD. :tinfoil:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I would not mind seeing a lithe agile alien. One tha has a really good nature defense score or something in the it causes shots to miss rather than taking little damage from it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

I would not mind seeing a lithe agile alien. One tha has a really good nature defense score or something in the it causes shots to miss rather than taking little damage from it.

So, floaters then? Because they get a defense boost when flying and their mobility is excellent.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, floaters then? Because they get a defense boost when flying and their mobility is excellent.

....Yes. (I didn't know floaters got that)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Thin Men that you can't pick out of a crowd, so as the panicked Civvies are running away (as they should), you have to worry that one (or more!) of them is going to stop, turn around, and shoot your soldiers in the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dooky Dingo posted:

You know what would be awesome?
So, you're taking your turn normally, looking for the best cover, trying to watch for flanking lines, looking for meld, trying to stagger your overwatches, the usual.
But something feels... off...
You keep taking your turns, everything seems pretty quiet, you are moving up with the stealth and grace of a well-oiled machine.
But somewhere, in the back of your mind, there is some little detail that you keep overlooking and you can't figure it out.
You finally activate a pod, your team is in great cover, you get ready to take your shot and suddenly, as your soldier spins and starts flanking your other squaddies, it dawns on you.
You had too many soldiers. You've been giving orders to 7 when you only brought 6. He was an alien. He was an alien all along.
THE SHOTS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE SQUAD. :tinfoil:

This would be completely ineffective until the aliens unlock the Hot Pink Armor technology

• Locked thread