Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I too am intruiged by our mysterious Commander. I also look forward to deploying Metal Gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hate Not Created Equally because it feels as if the RNG is constantly loving me over by exactly the things like Snipers with absurdly low aim or super slow assaults.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Where are the guys from the old X-COM LPs? They'd probably want in on this (again).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Where are the guys from the old X-COM LPs? They'd probably want in on this (again).

They currently in fact have an X-COM LP, the Commander's Guide.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Speedball posted:

BULLSHIT. Psychic powers do not and have never existed and there is no scientific basis for them. Larry Niven just wrote psychics into all his hard SF stories because even he wanted space wizards. Unless you can get a scientist or twelve out here to write a whole bunch of math that I can understand about which of the four fundamental forces of nature account for shooting glowy poo poo out of your head, it's loving magic and aliens are evil sorcerers.

Haha nice callback. I really enjoyed your Civ LP and I'm working my way through Tropico now. XCOM is an extremely excellent game and I look forward to reading your version of the plotline!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 3: Something “Outside” Your Experience

So, let’s see how the soldier ants are doing on the ant farm today…

Hey, treadmill buddy, how’s it going?
Who are—Allen? CAROL? What the hell?! You’re Asian!
Vahlen needed one more test subject for the thing that changed Bar-Lev’s skin. I figured, “What the hell. It’ll either kill me, or give me superpowers.” Actually, Dr. Vahlen pretty much outright said it might give me superpowers…maybe next time… But she said that from now on there shouldn’t be any more goo accidents, so my sacrifice of melanin was not in vain!
Well, it’s not a bad look for you.
Why do you keep saying that!?
I’m an out-of-work fashion designer who enlisted. What’s your story?
Third-generation comic book store owner. Digital’s killing us, so I needed the cash…

Hmm, what’s Bar-Lev up to back there?

quote:

Colonel M,

The mission statement for XCOM is, surprisingly, genuine. Aliens are real and kidnapping humans, though not from our region of the world, yet. They are armed with strange energy weapons that have yet to be recovered intact, but there are other developments.

I have been exposed to some strange substance that has completely altered my genetic makeup. I’m black now, as in AFRICAN black. (We will need a way for me to prove my identity to you when next we meet). This was merely an accidental byproduct of the true purpose of the substance, which I have determined is what the aliens use to genetically modify or cybernetically enhance themselves. This one side-effect would be immeasurably useful in the intelligence community, for obvious reasons, and there’s far more to come.

Dr. Vahlen and Dr. Shen are outlining plans for a super-soldier program utilizing this substance and I plan on volunteering as soon as I see it is safe. If all else fails, I can bring the technology back to our country inside my own body. However, I urge you to pass the message along to our nation’s leaders that they need to become full members of the XCOM project, to benefit from all the fruits of this organization’s labor. We cannot afford to be left behind.

Agent “Naomi Bar-Lev”

(So, she’s a spy, huh? Heh. If she tries to leave she’s in for a surprise, but I’ll let her send this message, maybe it’ll get one more nation to fund us.)

Bottom-line it for me, docs: what is this stuff?
This ”Meld,” as we call it, is filled with nanomachines and proteins. It’s…well…amazing. Their structure is—
That’s not bottom-lining it for me. How. Can. We. Use. It?

I could use it to grow an artificial nervous system, which would allow me to create cyborgs of incredible power!
OR we could use it to create super-mutants with the same powers as the aliens!
I’d prefer cyborgs, myself…
Super-mutants!
Cyborgs!
ENOUGH! We’ll build a lab for each, okay? Jesus Christ, you people…and by the way, Vahlen, you’re not cleared for the files from the 1960s. Yet. I’ll let you know more later. Now, what kind of stuff do you specifically think you’ll be able to turn our people into?

Just for starters, I could give our soldiers regenerating health and better vision. The more alien bodies I inspect, the more useful traits I’d be able to splice.

I wouldn’t just turn our volunteers into a normal human-sized cyborg…I’d replace most of their body and allow them to interface with a huge MEC suit larger than a standing polar bear, armed with a vulcan cannon and various other armaments of our choice.

These all sound too good to pass up. We have some money, I’ll order the construction of both facilities.

We’ll need more power soon, but we’re digging towards a thermal vent that’ll help us out with power. Meanwhile, Dr. Vahlen, start researching those alien bodies!

Commander! Our “special satellite” over America has detected an alien craft, just as you said it would!
Launch interceptors and down it!

Who programmed this interface? This isn’t to scale!
What, you don’t like it? Game interfaces that are always to scale are so boring and tedious, so I improved it.
Actually, this is a lot less eyestrain-inducing than “tiny dot on radar…”

It’s down!
And still in one piece. Get the strike crew to the Skyranger, we’re raiding THEM for a change!

Hit it, troops!

It’s somewhere up ahead, I can see a burning log…
Keep your ears open. We may hear them before we see them.
Shouldn’t you say, “Stay frosty?” They always say “stay frosty” …
No they don't.

Contact! Two on the right!

Two on the left! Aaah!
Looks like they’re just as surprised to see us, they’re scrambling for cover.

You’re not kill-stealing me today, Bar-Lev! Take this!

Too far for grenades…let this hit, please…

X-ray down! Allen, Leroy, it’s up to you!

Too far away, but I can flank ‘em if I rush him! I’ve been doing sprints!

Huff-huff—goo found, not it, now DIE!

X-ray down, but the other one’s right on top of me!

Can’t get to the last one, Allen, but I’ll give you some cover! Try not to breathe in, okay?

I’m good! …huh, this smoke tastes like mint?

Angle’s bad…frag out! Sorry, Dr. Vahlen!
It’s fine, you shot the other three conventionally…

All currently visible aliens dead, move up to the saucer!
It’s not very saucer-y…more like…pancake-y…

Got something up there! Floating…energy crystal?

Holy poo poo! The crystal summoned armor around itself! It’s a summoner!
…I’ve seen instant-construction technology! Alien is now identified by callsign “Outsider!” Make it your priority!
And it’s got a bigger version of the Sectoid weapon! Help!

It’s in heavy cover, but that wall looks weak, I bet I can blast it with a grenade. Frag out!

I got it!

Hey, the armor vanished right after you shot the crystal thing. It is a summoner!
That’s it? Four sectoids and one…outsider? Good job, everyone.
I’ll get the meld…hey, cool, the new disarm technique works! No spray!

Good job, Watkins, you’re promoted! Pick out whatever weapon you want!
Not bad for a failed comp sci major, huh?
Just don’t reprogram any more of our computers without my permission. Now…time to wait and see how long it takes Vahlen to come up with more goodies…

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 10, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sectoid cakes!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kinda like that X-COM has a couple callbacks to the Bureau in it. Despite The Bureau probably having been better off if it hadn't been in X-COM's wheelhouse, I still really enjoyed it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The Bureau had perhaps one of the most batshit insane ending twists. That alone made the game worthwhile.

Just a shame the original XCOM FPS they announced didn't pan out, that seemed pretty cool. And I'm still waiting on somebody to tackle X-Com Alliance! :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Just a shame the original XCOM FPS they announced didn't pan out, that seemed pretty cool. And I'm still waiting on somebody to tackle X-Com Alliance! :argh:

Heck, there's been a couple of XCOM-ish games that never panned out, a couple of years ago I remember reading about something called The Dreamland Chronicles that was supposed to be a unofficial remake of the first game made by the original makers but that never really panned out.

Oh hey, didn't know it even had a wiki page about it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Night10194 posted:

I kinda like that X-COM has a couple callbacks to the Bureau in it. Despite The Bureau probably having been better off if it hadn't been in X-COM's wheelhouse, I still really enjoyed it.

The Bureau bit off a little more than it could chew and had some quirks (targeting reticle based on movement so you had to move it around barricades and couldn't target airstrikes across pits) but it tried hard. The main "sin" is simply being on the heels of Enemy Unknown, which blew everyone's expectations through the roof. Also apparently they got a major re-write for the script after dialogue had been recorded, which is why people sometimes talk about things that come out of left field or haven't happened yet.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I'm actually playing through the bureau again. I think the weakest thing is the difficulty curve. It tosses bulletsponge mutons and sectopods, and the gunship before you really have guns that can hurt em. Then, afte getting some pretty crappy laser weapons, you get the blaster launcher in like, the second mission.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'd say another big problem is lovely checkpointing. Lots of repeating the same firefight you'd mastered to get to the part that's actually killing you.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Hmm, is this 'meld' going to mess up the appearance of everyone who gets near it? No, Doctor Vahlen looks the same as the day I met her. Well, interesting opinions, losing limbs or getting new organs.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Some of the later MEC options are completely insane, as are the gene mods. Those are going to be fun to read.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
My only problem with the gene mods is that they force your guys to lose their armor, which can be annoying if you had a certain Look you were going for with your squad. They're a lot of fun otherwise.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Polaron posted:

My only problem with the gene mods is that they force your guys to lose their armor, which can be annoying if you had a certain Look you were going for with your squad. They're a lot of fun otherwise.

There's a mod called "Revenge of the Sleeves" to fix that issue.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I'm surprised you're not playing with the Long War mod on, considering the Civ V run was modded.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

BenRGamer posted:

I'm surprised you're not playing with the Long War mod on, considering the Civ V run was modded.

Speedball did say in his OP that mods are finicky on his computer with regards to XCOM, so you can't really say it was unexpected. Dunno why it's finicky though, since as you said, all those Civ V mods worked out for him.

\/\/\/\/\/\/EDIT: Ah, that makes sense... Seriously though, that's a shame.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 30, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Macintosh.

To get Long War to run on XCOM I would have to do a heaping helping of crap and the last time I tried it was a nightmare that ended in failure.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Last I checked revenge of the sleeves was outdated and no one could get a response on whether it was going to be updated if that changed I'd like to see if I could get it working. Because really its dumb that gene moded soldiers have to remove their sleeves and use less impressive looking versions of their armor just for a simple effect that isn't even noticeable in actual missions.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 4: Four-Star Badass

quote:

Dear Diary,

Time for some rack time. Probably will play pool again with Leroy later. She’s a real hustler, but pretty funny.

Finally got promoted to Assault Squaddie today, thank goodness…the little grey guys, the Sectoids, pack a punch with those plasma guns of theirs, but they die pretty easily too. I hope someone figures out a way to take ‘em alive, soon, though…we need access to an unexploded version of their weapons, and it’d be nice to interrogate one to figure out what the hell they want.

Though, on second thought, they don’t even have mouths, do they? How the hell would we interrogate one? Hmm. Maybe interface with their cybernetic implants somehow?

Secondary thoughts: lots of women on this base. Incredible women. Time look up the XCOM manual’s policy on fraternization…

WATKINS! Report back to duty on the double! Emergency mission from the Council!
What?

Commander, time is precious, so we will be…brief. You will be compensated substantially if you are able to save a VIP, General Van Dorn, from being kidnapped by aliens. The attack began fifteen minutes ago and his bodyguards will not able to hold out very long.

You heard the big man, Squaddies. Into the Skyranger!
Glad I didn’t take any sleeping pills…

Hope he can hold out, it’ll take over an hour to get there.
Hold up. XCOM is protecting the earth from aliens. Why don’t we already have the best of the best working for us?
*cough*Bradford*cough*
No, it’s not just that. Look at us. An out-of-work fashionista, a hardcore comic book/fantasy geek and a Computer Science Major drop-out, as soldiers to fight space aliens with superior weaponry? It doesn’t add up.
Keep your mind on the job, please. Also: thank you for implying I am a screw-up like the rest of you. It means a lot to me.
Erp!

I’m the squad leader today. Move forward and check for survivors, especially Van Doorn.

Somebody sure blew the poo poo out of this place. Lots of green plasma scars…stay frosty!
Nobody in real life says “Stay Frosty!” Now move!

*Cough* *gasp* *wheeeze*
A survivor! Can you walk?
*wheeeeeze* *gasp* There’s a man… a man in a suit…
Huh?
The general’s up ahead…watch out for the man in the suit! The Thin Maaaan!
The Tall Man? Like, from Phantasm?
Thin Maaaaan!
Hrrm…

General Van Doorn’s GPS signal is right ahead, in that depression where the highway partly collapsed. Hope he’s not dead.
Just keep an eye open for that Slender Man.
Thin Maaaaan!
THIN Man. Whatever.

AAAAH! THIN MAN!
It’s an alien that looks like a human!
With a loving big gun!
And a really cheap suit! Looks like Action Wada brand!
what?

I told you, I’m a fashion designer, it’s my job to know! Anyway. He’s behind a car door. I’m gonna blast him out!

He’s still up! I’ll back you up!

Thin man down!
Jesus, why weren’t you classified a Sniper, Naomi?
I don’t like camping.

Aaah! He left behind this huge…cloud…of gunky ugly-looking nasty poo poo! How high-pressure was his blood? I don’t want to walk through that, I just cleaned my uniform!
NOBODY walks through it. We’ll just…wait for it to settle or go around.

HEY! What the hell is going on over there? Friendlies?
Yeah, friendlies!
About loving time! I’ve been out of ammo for hours! I had to kill one by beating it to death with my shoes!

Sectoids!
Lost my knife trying to cut a hole where the grey’s mouth oughta be. Fulla filthy yellow poo poo, they have piss for blood.

Nice ’n’ clustered, I’ll take ‘em out with a grenade…
Challenged the big purple gorilla one to an honorable fist match, broke my left hand breaking its face…
Purple gorilla?

Killed two more by turning my car into a battering ram, killed SIX more by lighting its gas tank on fire afterwards…
Dude, shut up! I just killed two more sectoids while you were busy yapping! Get up here!
Throw me a gun! I ain’t done killin’ and there’s more out there!

No can do, General Van Doorn, our guns are encoded so nobody but us can use them. Sorry. Look, just run back up the way we came, we’ll cover you.
Blue hair!? That ain’t loving regulation! What the hell kind of outfit are you from, soldier?!
The kind where accidentally getting permanent blue hair is par for the course!
Oh, you mean the orange goo stuff? Huh, guess you are the right people.
Yes. Please let us do our jobs and get you out of here, sir.
Fine… almost made it to a hundred, though…

Leroy, get up here with the VIP. Everyone else, keep an eye out for anything that moves. If one those sectoids across the chasm pops it head up, I want us to blast it.
Strike-one, there’s some sort of small heat signature heading your way.
Behind you!

AAAH! THIN MAN!
poo poo!
KILL IT!

I think we got him, guys! Stop firing!
Christ, he just dropped out of the loving sky! Can they fly?
Nah, but they can jump good! There’ll probably be a few more of ‘em dropping down outta nowhere as we go. Keep an eye out!

Okay, so, we have to keep a sharp eye going back, and remember there’s still a sectoid or two behind us. Stay frosty.
NOBODY SAYS THAT!

TWO MORE! Open fire!

X-ray down!
I got the other one!
Van Doorn, move up! And stay out of the poison clouds.

Whew. Thanks. Sorry for busting your chops, girls, I get mean in the heat of the moment.
Hey, we’re not all girls!
Whatever.
Circle back and kill any straggler sectoids, team, and then we call it a day.

CRAP! Found one!

I’m staring it right in its eyes.

…you have such pretty eyes…

…yes, master… NO! Get outta my head! DIE! :commissar:

Allen, you okay?
I’m fine, I’m fine… fuckin’ sorcerers…
All aliens dead! Prepare for return trip!

Kids, you saved my life, but your coordination is poo poo! You need a proper officer program. And I’m sending you my best killer to keep you company and straighten you out. MY DAUGHTER!
Your what?!

Congratulations, Allen, you killed four aliens in one mission, that’s worth a promotion. Learn anything out there?
Yessir, I learned to keep my head the hell down!
Perfect! Now, everyone get some rest. Bradford, put our new recruit through orientation.
Of course.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Thin Man? The aliens are impersonating Nick Charles now? (Or Clyde Wynant to be more accurate to the book)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thinking of, where did the Thin Men get their suits? Like....they seem too human to be alien made, so I guess that is what they are actually doing when raiding worthless warehouses? :v:

Dakona
May 3, 2014
I always assumed the Thin Men got their suits from something akin to a replicator. Made outta some kinda space age spandex stuff, given how fluid their movement is.

Loved the general in this, hoping his daughter will be just as big of a ball buster.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Please tell me General McAwesome will show up later, please?

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

xanthan posted:

Please tell me General McAwesome will show up later, please?

Well, every time you have to rescue a general, it's him, so, who knows?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Michaellaneous posted:

Thinking of, where did the Thin Men get their suits? Like....they seem too human to be alien made, so I guess that is what they are actually doing when raiding worthless warehouses? :v:

I always assumed it was part of them.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
submitting Frank Jaeger aka Frank Hunter, Frankie, Perfect Soldier, Null, [Solid Snake's] number one fan, Cyborg Ninja,
Deepthroat, for a Cyborg

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was under the impression that, yeah, they popped out of the clone vat wearing that suit. The autopsy implies as such, I think. Not sure if that's spoilery but wanted to be safe!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

venom3053000 posted:

submitting Frank Jaeger aka Frank Hunter, Frankie, Perfect Soldier, Null, [Solid Snake's] number one fan, Cyborg Ninja,
Deepthroat, for a Cyborg

Given XCOM's recruiting standards so far, I think someone different might be a better choice.

A former next generation special forces agent, forced to turn to mercenary work after his government turned on him, but he returned home when his nation needed him most. A man alone, his comrades cut down time and again. With the genes of the perfect soldier, and topnotch VR training, he's sure to... ah.

Excuse me a moment. My client needs to take a quick visit to the gentleman's room.

I vote Johnny Sasaki.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

For the survivor I was gonna go with Hudson from Aliens, but I decided I wanted to throw a little Classic X-Com in there just for fun.

chiasaur11 posted:

Given XCOM's recruiting standards so far, I think someone different might be a better choice.

A former next generation special forces agent, forced to turn to mercenary work after his government turned on him, but he returned home when his nation needed him most. A man alone, his comrades cut down time and again. With the genes of the perfect soldier, and topnotch VR training, he's sure to... ah.

Excuse me a moment. My client needs to take a quick visit to the gentleman's room.

I vote Johnny Sasaki.

I'm not sure I can pass this up!

...I also figured out how to make a pretty good Hulk Hogan lookalike. Heh. It's kind of too bad there's only one body type between men and women, the dudes are all a bit too roided out.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Don't suppose I'm able to sign up as a character?

The General owns, and you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't make him a recurring feature. I'd love to hear more of his war stories.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm very worried, my friends.
Very worried.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I forgot to mention Speedball: Very fun LP so far, I hope you keep going.
Message me on steam and I'll give you a game or some poo poo.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The bad combover toupee is truly the most terrifying aspect of Thin Men

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So I take it that you don't have either of the special Council mission packs enabled, since if you do, the first Council mission you get is a prompt to start one of them, IIRC. Either that, or you turned down the mission to start them when given the option and just did a regular Council mission instead.

Also, Thin Men are supposed to be the replacement for Snakemen from original X-Com, right? Infiltrators and all that, I guess.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!

Speedball posted:

Christ, he just dropped out of the loving sky! Can they fly?
Nah, but they can jump good!

A little Samurai Jack to spice things up. Why not? :)

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

GhostStalker posted:

So I take it that you don't have either of the special Council mission packs enabled, since if you do, the first Council mission you get is a prompt to start one of them, IIRC. Either that, or you turned down the mission to start them when given the option and just did a regular Council mission instead.

No, it's just very likely to give you one of the special ones first. It's still possible to get a normal one first, that happened to me yesterday.

Also, Speedball, this is a wonderful LP so far! You're really great at narrative ones.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, I have both special mission packs activated, but somehow I got Van Doorn instead. Too bad, Friends in Low Places would have given me 2 engineers, 2 scientists and more money, AND a sergeant.

Thank you for your kind words!

• Locked thread