Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I've talked to people who've actually done that sort of planning. The idea isn't to train or have a contingency for every outlandish idea out there, but rather these sorts of scenarios are designed to train their people how to think 'outside the box' in terms of what can happen. Complacency is a deadly sin, and these avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There was some movie/book that had "why are [people I know] here?" "You gave us their names in your protocol for extraterrestrial contact." "Yes, but I didn't think we'd ever actually USE it." Was it Stargate? Sphere?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Look, you never known when hyperintelligent cyborg monkeys from the future are going to arrive and declare that ancient Chinese furniture arranging techniques warp the destiny of mankind, and thus start detonating landmarks. You've gotta be on top of that kind of crap.
At some point I really need to convince my group to play Feng Shui. It's a good thing that the second edition is coming out in several months.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 23: The Faceplate of the Enemy

No way. I don’t have the same face, skin, hair, voice or SEX I had before, you couldn’t possibly recognize me.
Kid, I’m your mom, I could pick you out of a crowd in a text-only chat room. I know your every twitch. So, what happened?
Switched bodies with a friend of mine, who died. But I got superpowers out of it.
Huh. That’s… huh. Well, your legs are a lot less stumpy now.
Yeah, they—HEY!
You better take good loving care of that body, you hear me, Cameron? I will personally oversee every IOTA of your physical training from now on.
Moooom!
Don’t you “Mom” me! I brought you into this world, and I can take you OUT!
Oh, God… Someone shoot me where it won’t grow back…

We now have finished the last of our laser weapons, Commander. We’ll need much more staff to begin reverse-engineering the plasma weaponry, but at least now we can begin.
Excellent. I’m sure our snipers will love the improved killing power. And…is that a laser SHOTGUN?
Oh, man, I have got to get me one of those.
Not without my permission first, buster! You want to blow your face off testing experimental weapons in the field?
…good point. You take the first one, Mom.

It’s time to finish our research on that shard, see if it can lead us to the alien’s nest.
Commander! COMMANDER! Priority transmission from the council!

What the gently caress? Panic in China? We had China locked down!
Something’s up over there, someone caused a kind of… controlled weather disaster. A laser shot into the sky and a typhoon appeared out of nowhere.
The aliens have a weather controller?
Not quite, XCOM.
Who the hell are YOU?

Greetings, XCOM. I am the Director, and soon to be the new face of the future. Your attempts at maintaining the status quo are doomed. With the gift of technology pilfered from the heavens themselves, a new humanity, stronger in body and purer of will, shall emerge. We… are EXALT.
I don’t know this one…
Exalt Director. What do you want? Money? Power?
All that and more. Understand this, XCOM: You are doomed to failure, because you serve the whims of petty governments and self-centered idiots with large purse strings. We serve none but ourselves, and do as we please. Even now, China is considering dropping your funding because of your inability to deal with us. I suggest you disarm immediately and allow us to shape the future of the world. Goodbye, FOOLS! Ah-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAHA! HAIL EXALT!

…what…the…gently caress?
This is worse than I imagined. A terrorist organization taking control of alien technology.

Commander… we must rely upon you… to eliminate this threat. Your directive to preserve all human life has been… rescinded.
Of course, councilman… right. We’ll need help, we’re better at shooting down UFOs than doing ground work.
We are capable of assisting your investigation, to a degree…but it is your operatives who must carry out the… wetwork.

Sir, I volunteer. I’m less high-profile than our team leaders and I’m trained on using a side-arm.
Good idea, Dr. Gomez.

I wish I could send Hilda out on this mission, with her invisibility she’d be the perfect spy, but she’s still melding. poo poo. Next time, I guess. Good luck, Gomez!
Thank you, sir!

So on top of blowing up aliens who want to steal human bodies, we have to stop a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world?
Badass. Looks like I joined at the right time. It’s like the eighties all over again!

To Be Continued!

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 8, 2014

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

COBBBBRRAAAA, ATTTTTACK!

...COBBBRAAAA, RETREAAAAAAAAT!

Yes.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
If only you could modify the game so that XCOM fired blue lasers and EXALT red

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I dunno why, but I'm hearing him as X-Men:The Arcade Game Magneto. This despite knowing what Cobra Commander sounds like.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Polaron posted:

But then everyone's Aim would go down to 1%!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I'll give some advice I've given in a previous thread: if you don't want to deal with EXALT attacks, then make sure you scan for activity roughly every fifteen days. It costs a bit to be proactive, but not as much as it costs to let EXALT rampage unchecked.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Bruceski posted:

There was some movie/book that had "why are [people I know] here?" "You gave us their names in your protocol for extraterrestrial contact." "Yes, but I didn't think we'd ever actually USE it." Was it Stargate? Sphere?
I can't find a clip or anything, and it's been a long time since I've seen it, but I'm almost positive there's a line like this in the first adaptation of Andromeda Strain.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dont think its Stargate. Stargate is just a dude knocking on O'Niells door and is like "we need you to reactive the stargate program" or something. I think youre thinking of something else.

Also you nailed the Councils speech pattern, Speedball. Nailed it.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

SpookyLizard posted:

Also you nailed the Councils speech pattern, Speedball. Nailed it.

While I agree, to be fair, the Councils 'speech pattern' is just 'try to sound as much like a cliche movie-villain as you can. Don't be afraid to go heavy on the pauses, pretend you're Shatner if it helps'

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I kinda want Shatner to voice a cheesy evil video game thing now.

DireApostasy
Jan 2, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Wasn't that in the first episode of the rather short-lived tv show Threshold?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Turns out it was Sphere I was thinking of. Norman wrote the report and figured "well, I can either do my job as a psychologist and figure out who would be best suited for this sort of thing or I can put my buddies' names down, cash the check and go buy a house." Once I started remembering a bit more I quickly realized it has "Michael Crichton writing people" all over it and it wasn't hard to confirm after that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 8, 2014

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bruceski posted:

Turns out it was Sphere I was thinking of. Norman wrote the report and figured "well, I can either do my job as a psychologist and figure out who would be best suited for this sort of thing or I can put my buddies' names down, cash the check and go buy a house." Once I started remembering a bit more I quickly realized it has "Michael Crichton writing people" all over it and it wasn't hard to confirm after that.

...because every (US) government-funded biology lab needs an automatic thermonuclear self-destruct, and only one man is level-headed enough to hold authority to switch it off. When that guy is the one asking "who authorized this bullshit?" you know hacks can still spew bestsellers.

That, or in some surreal (but less contrived) alternate universe there is an agency going around making sure every building is rigged to explode for no good reason.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

silentsnack posted:

That, or in some surreal (but less contrived) alternate universe there is an agency going around making sure every building is rigged to explode for no good reason.

They're called the Drama Enforcement Agency. They're the same people who cut your cellphone signal when you're within 100 yards of a serial killer.

Polaron posted:

This is the main reason to make sure you're packing green plasma weapons when EXALT breaks out the red lasers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
See, if only I could survive long enough to get that far...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'll give some advice I've given in a previous thread: if you don't want to deal with EXALT attacks, then make sure you scan for activity roughly every fifteen days. It costs a bit to be proactive, but not as much as it costs to let EXALT rampage unchecked.

Doesn't scanning that infrequently actually generate a profit because exalt gives you a hundred xcom bucks or so for every successful op against them?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This week it was EXALT using a Weather Dominator to increase panic. If they had stolen money from me instead, I would have had them do something like THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeGTV6fvgaM

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Speedball posted:

Sir, I volunteer. I’m less high-profile than our team leaders and I’m trained on using a side-arm.

Dude, Zinchenko. ZINCHENKO.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yes! He's decent with pistols, it will raise him in rank without him screwing up your deployment line up, and he's very expendable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Considering that if your operative ever fires a shot you're doing something wrong or things have gone pear shaped, his aim score wouldn't even be that big of an issue.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh, this is good, this is really good.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can just see it now.

I'm about to hack this Comm Relay... with a grenade!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Doesn't scanning that infrequently actually generate a profit because exalt gives you a hundred xcom bucks or so for every successful op against them?

It depends on the mission. The defense missions give you a hundred credits if you manage to protect both the transponder and the decoy, you lose the money if the decoy gets hacked or destroyed. The other one I think gives you money just for completing it but I don't recall for sure.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

I dunno why, but I'm hearing him as X-Men:The Arcade Game Magneto. This despite knowing what Cobra Commander sounds like.

Welcome to die, XCOM!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You know, one big opportunity that I felt was missed in EW was the idea that the two enemy organizations were dedicated to screwing each other equally as they do you. Although I understand that getting the whole ai priority of "should I attack other ai group" or "kill blues at all costs" would be a bit long to develop.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Annointed posted:

You know, one big opportunity that I felt was missed in EW was the idea that the two enemy organizations were dedicated to screwing each other equally as they do you. Although I understand that getting the whole ai priority of "should I attack other ai group" or "kill blues at all costs" would be a bit long to develop.

Ah, like a meld-collecting race to see who can grab the most containers before the other side does?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Sounds more like he's asking for three-way fights, with EXALT and the aliens shooting at each other as much as they shoot at you.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

This is true. In storyline terms, EXALT have tried to bilk the aliens at least once in one major occasion, despite the fact they're also allied with the aliens to conquer the planet(it's how they're getting free Meld and gene mods).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Bloodly posted:

This is true. In storyline terms, EXALT have tried to bilk the aliens at least once in one major occasion, despite the fact they're also allied with the aliens to conquer the planet(it's how they're getting free Meld and gene mods).
I thought they were fighting the aliens as well? Just with different enough motives that they're at odds with XCOM too?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Sounds more like he's asking for three-way fights, with EXALT and the aliens shooting at each other as much as they shoot at you.

Yeah I was thinking for something along those lines. Hell while we're at it why not include a mechanic where you can manipulate the aliens against EXALT to the point where you're just munching popcorn as the roided out super mutants in fedoras battle intergalactic space horrors.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

I thought they were fighting the aliens as well? Just with different enough motives that they're at odds with XCOM too?

Not at all. They're collaborators. They believe the aliens will uplift us all and are working with them to that end.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Fair enough. I guess the writing around the Slingshot mission confused me. (It is a bit too brief. I think Enemy Within needed to better integrate it.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Exalt was given any sort of definition outside of "like xcom, but dislikes xcom"? The only time you get any real story focus on them in game is the first mission of progeny and then the occasional exalt body on a few specific maps.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons

Never would have heard about this without this thread. That stuff is good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the idea of EXALT. The whole world hasn't really united in the past. Why should things be different now?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

I like the idea of EXALT. The whole world hasn't really united in the past. Why should things be different now?

It still hasn't even really united now, or else we'd have a lot more funding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, Exalt is Cobra. Excellent.

• Locked thread