Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ViggyNash posted:

Are there different benefits to MEC-ing different classes?

Yeah, you get a class-specific bonus; the wiki knows all. Assault MECs get a percentile damage reduction against enemies that are close to them. In particular, this, in combination with their innate high health, makes them great at drawing fire from Chryssalids. You can (and probably should) also equip assault MECs with the punchy-arm upgrade, which enhances their mobility and gives them a 100%-accuracy 12-damage attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

ViggyNash posted:

Are there different benefits to MEC-ing different classes?

Yup! MEC'd Heavies get Body Shield, which gives them +20 defense against the nearest enemy and makes that enemy unable to crit them; MEC'd Assaults gets Shock-Absorbent Armor, which cuts damage from enemies within 4 tiles by 1/3rd; MEC'd Snipers get Platform Stability, which gives +10 Aim and Crit Chance if the unit fires without moving; and MEC'd Supports get Distortion Field, an AOE-zone that grants all allies within range and in cover +10 Defense. All of them are great bonuses on top of MECs just being gigantic doom-tanks.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Half considered MECing Latisha, but assaults and Coffee Blood go very well together.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Half considered MECing Latisha, but assaults and Coffee Blood go very well together.

Since it's been ages when I've played I keep forgetting, going Mec just flat out removes any Gene mods right? I keep half remembering MEC, Genemods, and Psychic powers are mutually exclusive but I don't know how much any of that is correct.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Yup! MEC'd Heavies get Body Shield, which gives them +20 defense against the nearest enemy and makes that enemy unable to crit them; MEC'd Assaults gets Shock-Absorbent Armor, which cuts damage from enemies within 4 tiles by 1/3rd; MEC'd Snipers get Platform Stability, which gives +10 Aim and Crit Chance if the unit fires without moving; and MEC'd Supports get Distortion Field, an AOE-zone that grants all allies within range and in cover +10 Defense. All of them are great bonuses on top of MECs just being gigantic doom-tanks.

The Support one is arguably the worst one, because if the Mech is there the enemy are going to shoot at the Mech anyway. Enemies generally shoot at the target they can see that has the lowest defense, this is typically the Mech because it can't take cover.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

Since it's been ages when I've played I keep forgetting, going Mec just flat out removes any Gene mods right? I keep half remembering MEC, Genemods, and Psychic powers are mutually exclusive but I don't know how much any of that is correct.

Mecs can't be psychic or mutated. You can be both psychic and a mutant, unless you use the Second Wave option that is called Mind Hates Matter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh sweet. I might try another game now that I know that and Abstraction's quickie tactics.

e: Rookie on top of a building in half cover gets critical-ed and killed by a sectoid in a ravine. gently caress me.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 27, 2015

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

pun pundit posted:

The Support one is arguably the worst one, because if the Mech is there the enemy are going to shoot at the Mech anyway. Enemies generally shoot at the target they can see that has the lowest defense, this is typically the Mech because it can't take cover.

I actually really like the support one because AFAIK it gives the defense bonus as long as your unit is in cover, -even if- that unit is flanked. I'll often use a Support MEC as an 'oh gently caress' panic button meat-shield I can drop into the middle of a flank to screw with the AI's targetting priorities. Supports also make good MECs because Supports have excellent Aim and Will growths which REALLY work out well with the Will bonuses MECs naturally get, if you end up MECing them around Major or Colonel rank.

It's worth noting that MEC Troopers do not keep the stat growth rates of their base class, but rather get replaced with special growth rates; this is why Heavies are good to augment around early levels since MEC Aim growth rates are better than the ones Heavies naturally get. This is especially true of Zhang, who with an out-of-the-gate Aim score of 75 as a Lieutenant is a perfect candidate for augmentation the instant you get him.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

It's worth noting that MEC Troopers do not keep the stat growth rates of their base class, but rather get replaced with special growth rates; this is why Heavies are good to augment around early levels since MEC Aim growth rates are better than the ones Heavies naturally get. This is especially true of Zhang, who with an out-of-the-gate Aim score of 75 as a Lieutenant is a perfect candidate for augmentation the instant you get him.

On the flipside, this is why you generally want to wait to cyborgize snipers, since a colonel sniper will generally have an Aim score of 100+, which transfers nicely to the MEC.

When you make a soldier into a MEC, they keep their rank, but you have to choose new promotions for them. Naturally, the promotion roulette option doesn't work for them. On the other hand, they get variants of several of the best promotions anyway -- there's one that gives them extra uses of their consumable attacks, one that lets them attack twice if they don't move, one that lets them literally leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc.

Once I finally put together enough Meld to build a second MEC cybersuit, I was running 2 MECs every mission from then on, unless one of my operators somehow landed up in sickbay.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jumping Mecs are amazing and it's a pity I haven't hit more vertical maps yet to show off Bar-lev's rocket boots. "Silence, ground walkers!"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Jumping Mecs are amazing and it's a pity I haven't hit more vertical maps yet to show off Bar-lev's rocket boots. "Silence, ground walkers!"

On that note, has anyone EVER thought the alternative to the Jet boots was a good idea?

"Hmm, do I want ROCKET BOOTS? Or do I want to becoming immobile cover that is not allowed to use arm weaponry, as well as inviting alien grenades because using me as cover still means two targets?"

No I'm not bitter about every single time I've tried to use Shivs as cover, why do you ask?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I should have made a joke about that one EXALT guy using the SHIV as cover last time. I have failed you all!

Feelin' better. But it's late.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently floaters can be poisoned by Thin Men clouds. Huh.

e:Also, my game seems intent on stuffing my barracks with Assaults. I've got 5 after turning 1 into a MEC, and I just got a council mission that gives me yet another assault. I've only got 1 sniper, support, and heavy each.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 27, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

Also by poison grenades! Which I really should show off at least once...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

ViggyNash posted:

e:Also, my game seems intent on stuffing my barracks with Assaults. I've got 5 after turning 1 into a MEC, and I just got a council mission that gives me yet another assault. I've only got 1 sniper, support, and heavy each.

I'm pretty sure the first four promotions are guaranteed to unlock the four basic classes, so that is some crazy specific luck you've got there.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm pretty sure the first four promotions are guaranteed to unlock the four basic classes, so that is some crazy specific luck you've got there.

My last game, I had 3 heavies, 1 sniper, 3 supports, and 1 assault at one point.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Not quite. It's not the first four promotions themselves that matter, but rather the four Rookies that go on that first mission are pre-flagged with the four classes, the rest are randomly generated.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Speedball posted:

I should have made a joke about that one EXALT guy using the SHIV as cover last time.

Had that happen a few times here too.

They always go for the nearest cover when they spread out after being startled.

An Alloy SHIV counts as cover.

So when the latter "accidentally" rolled into an unstartled group of the former... Yeah, that didn't end well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

On my last playthrough I only ever had 1 support at a time. They just kept dying.

Including on the last mission.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Veloxyll posted:

On my last playthrough I only ever had 1 support at a time. They just kept dying.

Including on the last mission.

A pity because they're actually really good soldiers. Not just for shooting stuff, either; with their later abilities they can be pretty good at throwing grenades around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

A pity because they're actually really good soldiers. Not just for shooting stuff, either; with their later abilities they can be pretty good at throwing grenades around.

Training Roulette once gave me an Assault with Deep Pockets and Savior. Combine that with Tactical Rigging and the medkit foundry upgrade, and she could bring two grenades and two medkits into a fight, and each medkit healed 10 HP. If only she'd also gotten Field Medic...

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Don't worry, if there is any class you can't have too many of it's Assaults, they are just that good.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

There is no problem in the unmodded game that can't be solved by 6 archangel assaults with alloy cannons.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

sheep-dodger posted:

Don't worry, if there is any class you can't have too many of it's Assaults, they are just that good.

My base team is now 2 MECs, 2 stacked assaults, and the other two slots go to a support, heavy or another assault. Standard procedure is for a MEC to spot enemies, assaults to run over and shoot the gently caress out of them, and then have the other MEC punch the gently caress out of any high hp enemy. The other guys just help out sometimes.

I just punched a cyberdisk in the face and it was glorious.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Muton Berserker punching is still the best.

I also want to try Sectopod punching.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

pun pundit posted:

There is no problem in the unmodded game that can't be solved by 6 archangel assaults with alloy cannons.

"Allen's Angels"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Dreamsicle posted:

Muton Berserker punching is still the best.

I also want to try Sectopod punching.

MEC punching a Sectopod even has a custom fight animation, it's great.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
More than half of my barracks is now Assault class, not counting the one I turned into a MEC.

e:

Kwyndig posted:

MEC punching a Sectopod even has a custom fight animation, it's great.

I just discovered that punching a Muton Berserker gives a unique one too. It was great.

e2: :cripes:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Baaah, I was gonna make up for the lack of XCOM update with a Tropico 4 update but the old thread fell into archives.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Speedball posted:

Baaah, I was gonna make up for the lack of XCOM update with a Tropico 4 update but the old thread fell into archives.

Booo, that was a fun LP.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Booo, that was a fun LP.

Well I can always make a new thread with a misspelled thread title.

I am a moron.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Mission 30: BASE UNDER ATTACK!

Excellent job. Two continents have been totally locked down, and only China and Europe are displeased with you at the moment.
Good work… now let’s… huh?

Aww, hell. Shoot it down and send out the B-team. You guys know the drill by now. Now, Watkins, about Yoko. You should know this. She’s a clone.
A clone?
A mental clone. Similar to the mental clone of Allen you encountered in your mental battle, but this one was locked into another human body. They destroyed the original woman’s mind and replaced it with a copy of one of the other abductees.
Jesus…
I don’t know what the aliens are up to… twisting human bodies, messing around with human minds… but I do know that what Yoko’s going through now that she knows the truth is horrible, from personal experience.
From personal experience? Commander, who the hell ARE you?
Well, since you ask…

*boom*

The hell? Why is everything shaking?

Report!
Sir, multiple seismic events nearby! Something’s digging into the base! And… explosions from Engineering and the helipad!
Uh-oh.

Aaah! No! My beautiful, beautiful prototype!

The hell?! Why is—aah! What’s wrong with your face!?

OWWW!

This is not an authorized use of the fire extinguisher, Mr. Jimenez!

Good thing I keep a gun in the desk for an emergency…

“Dear Bradford, IOU one Secret Gun.” Oh, you BASTARDS!

I could fix the Skyranger, but I feel a hypnotic compulsion to just go on lunch break and not give a gently caress. Welp. No argument from me there.

Hey! That is highly inappropriate! Stop that at once!

HA! I’ll just take YOUR gun!
Oof! Ow!

What have you done?

Answer me!!!

Sir, multiple reports of perimeter breaches! They’re coming in through the vents!
Then it’s time for you security guards to earn your pay for once! Get the A-team out of their beds and arm them with whatever we’ve got handy, NOW!
Oh, maaaan, I do NOT get paid enough for this…

They’re coming…

To Be CONTINUED!

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

I am SO hype for this. The Base Defense mission is probably my favorite story event added in Enemy Within.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Base Defense mission! :woop:

This is going to be great.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bradford certainly re-earned any awesome points in that cutscene that he lost botching the first mission, I think.

Now, let's see how Speedball handles this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I am SO hype for this. The Base Defense mission is probably my favorite story event added in Enemy Within.

I have my complaints about the EW missions, but out of all of them the Base Defense one is probably handled the best. Good luck, Speedball!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

berryjon posted:

Bradford certainly re-earned any awesome points in that cutscene that he lost botching the first mission, I think.

Now, let's see how Speedball handles this.

Sorry if I nullified some of the badass with my "empty gun container" joke.

Also sorry for flaking out on you guys earlier.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Base Mission is probably one of my favorites, though it's where I encountered a bug where I lost one of my best soldiers because she fell through an object and no one can reach her to revive her, and lost more due to X-Com tending to freak out when doing things on multiple levels.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Speedball posted:

Sorry if I nullified some of the badass with my "empty gun container" joke.

Also sorry for flaking out on you guys earlier.

That's quite alright. Your version of Bradford is taking the long and slow road back to awesomeness. A simple joke is well worth the price. ((BTW, good job on editing out the gun!))

And you haven't flaked out! I just presume that this next mission will be so great that you couldn't handle more than five minutes at a time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pretty much. I was gonna have it be part of the cutscene update but then I realized "god drat I'm gonna be blowing away at least 20 aliens, this is gonna be a looong update". First room clearing's recorded, but who knows. At this point in the game you could have swarms of mectoids and chrysalids, or still just ordinary sectoids invading the base.

If you wait until late in the game, hooooo, you get invaded by end-game-level enemies. Not fun!

• Locked thread