Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Next update in four hours, can I get three more posts to push it to a new page?

Ask and we shall deliver, or die trying! For the sake of blasting a couple of Grey bastards, I can sacrifice some words for you cause!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Speedball posted:

Next update in four hours, can I get three more posts to push it to a new page?

Nope, sorry.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm helping :3:

Also, DANG. You've got a good panic building up there. Hopefully the next mission isn't an abduction.

Spoiler: It is. Which means that no matter which country I choose, someone's being pushed to the red.

Thanks, guys, guess I better get to work finishing the update.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mission 8: I Need a Secondary Heart, Because My First One Broke.

Go for it, man, ask her out!
What, really? Like THIS?
Dude, my bi-dar has been pinging like crazy ever since the meld experiments. I think having your DNA scrambled makes your Kinsey spectrum explode. …which means if this war isn’t over soon, in the next few months this base will be Bone City…
Okay, but wouldn’t you be offended if I got lucky while looking like you?
I could only take it as a compliment. Live a little, man. Think of that hot bod as my gift to you. Ah, here!

Where the hell is the commander? He’s never in the office.
What is it?
AAH! Viewscreen. Okay. I want a scifi movie night every week, sir! I’ve got a big collection of fantasy/sf movies and we could show ‘em all in the Officer Training Room, it’s already an amphitheater.
Huh, that would be good for morale, I guess…
Morale nothing, they’re training videos. Aliens with mental powers are invading. Fantasy has become reality! We need to get everyone ready for how to react when an evil shapeshifter holds your friend hostage and you don’t know how to tell who’s who, stuff like that.
Heh. You make a good point. What’s your favorite of the stack?
Willow.
WILLOW?

More abductions. poo poo. Let’s save Russia, we abandoned Europe last time. Christ, this balancing act…

Holy poo poo, Naomi, you’re huge. You could probably pulp a Sectoid with one hand.
That’s the idea.
Oh, what the hell is this? Get the hell off the lineup, Zinchenko, we have rookies who can shoot better than you!
Awww, I wanted to see Moscow again…

So does someone else! Eva, you’re up.
Hello! Nice to work with you all.

So, Eva, what quirks do you have? What makes you stand out from the crowd? …what do you look like under that helmet?
I’ll…tell you later. It’s a little embarrassing.
We’re here.

Please don’t step on my feet, Naomi.
Don’t worry. I’m much more agile than I look.

We’re in some kind of big warehouse area…I’ll take to the roof. Meld spotted…
Hey, rookie, you gotten exposed to meld yet?
Hooooo, yes.
drat, I was gonna make you get it.
Everyone, stay close to me if you can. My suit can project a distortion field, if you’re in cover near it, it’ll warp your image slightly. I will protect you all. Moving up…

Contact! A new type of alien…some kind of…cyborg…floaters!

poo poo! Watkins, get in the office beneath me, try to get around them!
Okay!

Da gently caress?!

ALIEN MECHANICAL OCTOPUS!
Incredible locomotion design…be careful, if it’s as agile as it looks shooting it will be difficult.

They just…vanished! They’re invisible!
Aww, poo poo. But remember, if it bleeds, we can kill it.
They’re ROBOTS!
If it doesn’t bleed, we can’t kill it? No, that’s not right…

Incredible power! I could cut a wall in half with a hail of bullets!

Dashing to cover! TESTOSTERONE! Keep up, rookie!

No, no! Get off! AUGGHgggggggg…help……

Floater down! Quick, get that drat thing off her!

I got it!

It’s not dead yet!
Get…away…! :commissar:

Everyone okay? Cam, you all right?
Yeah…throat’s healing itself…drat, I’m glad I got gene modded.
Oh, yes, excuse me. What they said earlier raises an interesting point. Sergeant Van Doorn called you “her.” Do you prefer male or female pronouns?
Whatever. As long as I look like this, female pronouns are fine, everyone’s just gonna get tripped up otherwise.

Be careful…there’s one more of those things out there…somewhere…
What about you, Allen?
Eh, I’m still more used to lady pronouns.
Yay, we’re all girls!
*eyeroll* Allen, take point.
Right! TESTOSTERONE! :torgue:

gently caress! gently caress! More floaters and I’m on the wrong side of this box! I’m flanked! Get me outta here!

Perfect sniping position…yeah!

Gimme a sec and I’ll get the other one!
There’s no time! Taking a shot at the other one! 71%, please hit!

drat! I missed the other one, someone kill that thing before it kills—

Allen! NOOO!

NONONONONONO! Auuuggh, this isn’t right, this isn’t right! I’m not ready for this!
Piece of poo poo, I’m gonna blow its loving head off!

No, Hilda, look out, behind you!

NO! HELP! AGGGGGGgggggg…
HILDA! I’ll save you!

MURDERER! DIE, you ANT!

RRAAAAAAHH!

Ggggggg…
I got it, I got it! Hold still!

There! Can you breathe?
Hakk…yes…thank you… is Allen…?

Okay, Allen, you can get up now.
Not funny! I know you can regenerate just like me! We’ve all seen the end to the Avengers where it looks like Iron Man dies, it’s not funny, wake up! We’ve got a punchline all set up where you say you “took it like a man.”
COME ON! CAROL! You don’t want to loving die looking like me! That’s stupid! WAKE UP, CAROL! We spent too much money on you for you to die!
Cam…let go.
NO, dammit! Carol, you’re the funny one, and a better killer than me, too! You’re supposed to keep us all motivated! You’ve been with us from the beginning! You can’t die! I…*sob*

to be continued…

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
We can rebuild him/her. We have the technology.

...Wait, we don't? Well poo poo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Huh. No last letter. Still sad tho :smith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You've really gotta stop losing people... This is the X-COM where losing anyone is a terrible blow, after all.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Night10194 posted:

You've really gotta stop losing people... This is the X-COM where losing anyone is a terrible blow, after all.

It's all still part of the game, though. That's why they kill off three of your rookies in the tutorial. You're gonna carry that weight...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Well, this just got extremely grim :smith:

You've got a good mix of tragedy and comedy in here Speedball, it really drives home the loss of a unit. Do you write these up as you play, or did you know Allen would die when you wrote the opening portion?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Night10194 posted:

For the sake of the narrative, I don't really think this is high on the priority list.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Perhaps your team should have tried to avoid zhose tentacles :(

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
You know, I can't wait to see what you do with Zhang and Anette once you get them. We all know Anette really loves killing aliens with those unique lines of hers, but I think Zhang might make a good straight man for the field operatives. I mean, the guy has a classic story set up, a man abandons his life of crime in order to do good, though admittedly his reasons for doing so are a little different than normal, deciding to leave crime in order to instead fight against the aliens on the basis that trying to profiteer off the invasion is foolish is highly sensible, but not exactly the normal reason a guy leaves a life of crime.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm sure everyone reading this thread already knows all about DLC characters, but on the off chance they haven't, no spoilers please.

scalded schlong posted:

Perhaps your team should have tried to avoid zhose tentacles :(

You bastard. I laughed.

I am so getting anti-invisibility countermeasures as soon as they come.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Given that we already seemed to have discussed it with the "PYF Class" topic, are skills/augments you haven't gotten to fair game? Just want to be sure.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Aw, man... :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

Given that we already seemed to have discussed it with the "PYF Class" topic, are skills/augments you haven't gotten to fair game? Just want to be sure.

Eh, I guess so. Heh

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Right then:

(Skill/Augment/LW Spoiler)

This was with Long War, but I guess it might also work in vanilla. I lost more than a few squaddies to the chokeout KO, until I managed to get a Scout, with Mimetic Skin, In the Zone, and a high-end weapon. Point em at the pack of Seekers, knock em out of their cloak, and take sweet revenge on the entire pack of now visible and coverless killers. At least you don't have to worry about armor reduction in vanilla - having a dude die because you failed to do one point of damage to a Seeker is a special brand of pain.

Condolences for the loss. :shobon: Another name for the wall...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

My usual seeker tactic is to move the squad together and make sure everyone's got line of sight to each other. That way when it strikes everyone nearby will get a shot at it and blow the drat thing to kingdom come before it can attach. The other main tactic is to locate the thing by finding a "blind spot" when trying to move; if you can't move to an otherwise clear location, it's because something is in your way. At that point, you can just huck a grenade and blow its cloak off.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm going to venture a guess that Speedball won't consciously act to stave off threats that his team didn't have a chance to see before.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

My usual seeker tactic is to move the squad together and make sure everyone's got line of sight to each other. That way when it strikes everyone nearby will get a shot at it and blow the drat thing to kingdom come before it can attach. The other main tactic is to locate the thing by finding a "blind spot" when trying to move; if you can't move to an otherwise clear location, it's because something is in your way. At that point, you can just huck a grenade and blow its cloak off.

What I always tended to find when I did that is that the first one would trigger everyone's overwatch and die, then the second one would have carte blanche to make with the tentacles. I do like their addition to the game, though, they make a wonderfully irritating nuisance weapon when you're used to playing EU.
I did find it a little annoying that you get so many different ways to be immune to strangulation by the late game - they're so prevalent that it makes Seekers almost entirely irrelevant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yeah, I am using this to be my present method for dealing with Seekers, though I am wishing for just a little less overkill when things step into Overwatch range. I am liking the Sentinel talent for the second Overwatch shot, though.

Dakona
May 3, 2014
drat. A loss is bad enough, but losing one who you gen modded is a double punch to the soft bits. Guess Watkins is a lady for keeps now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Wait. Wait. Am I reading these screenshots and lines right? Since when are the people those bastards grab allowed to shoot back? Maybe there was a patch that went the other direction? (The Catching Breath debuff wasn't around at EW Launch, and my hazy memory is convinced an early patch made them apply damage straight away on the initial grab along with adding that debuff).

Man, those things. They were more of a slog than danger (On Normal :shobon:) purely because I'd inevitably have to wait around for them to show up as the final enemies before the mission would end. Spending 7+ turns on overwatch. That and :xcom: demanding all 6 people set on overwatch would miss them when they showed up to strangle the person with best aim (because it wouldn't let the guy being attacked overwatch, if I'm recalling right). This did also lead to leaving the rookies/bait soldiers never allowed to have certain items.

Also, "We spent too much money on you to die!" sums up so much of X-com.

EDIT: vvv Ah right, I forgot that hitting it at all will knock it off. My "have not played since near EW launch" Memory is a mix of remembering them as both worse than they are, AND easier than they are it seems.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 6, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Section Z posted:

Wait. Wait. Am I reading these screenshots and lines right? Since when are the people those bastards grab allowed to shoot back? Maybe there was a patch that went the other direction? (The Catching Breath debuff wasn't around at EW Launch, and my hazy memory is convinced an early patch made them apply damage straight away on the initial grab along with adding that debuff).

Allen shot it off Watkins, and Watkins was suffering from the Catching Breath debuff, but still had a really high aim value for point blank range with a shotgun (57%) and got in a lucky revenge shot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, I am using this to be my present method for dealing with Seekers, though I am wishing for just a little less overkill when things step into Overwatch range. I am liking the Sentinel talent for the second Overwatch shot, though.

There is no "overkill." There is only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Remember when you said at the start of the LP that you didn't think you'd be losing many people, so don't get your hopes up for being included as a character...?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sir Shion posted:

Remember when you said at the start of the LP that you didn't think you'd be losing many people, so don't get your hopes up for being included as a character...?

Pfft, by this point (the 7th update) the GuavaMoment LPs had lost 19 of its 130 casualties for UFO Defense and 14 for Apocalypse. I've lost TWO.

And for some reason every single person who can actually shoot on the team roster of initial rookies is female. I swear to God I'm not making this up, Male Watkins was the only man who didn't suck.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Speedball posted:

Pfft, by this point (the 7th update) the GuavaMoment LPs had lost 19 of its 130 casualties for UFO Defense and 14 for Apocalypse. I've lost TWO.

And for some reason every single person who can actually shoot on the team roster of initial rookies is female. I swear to God I'm not making this up, Male Watkins was the only man who didn't suck.

yeah but - let's do apples to apples, how many have they lost in their EU thread? :v:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Psion posted:

yeah but - let's do apples to apples, how many have they lost in their EU thread? :v:

Did they still lose none? I haven't caught up to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Psion posted:

Counting guys Jade's fired for low stats?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Psion posted:

VERY GOOD POINT, I will concede, but again, even that's not apples to apples because he's not allowing for a little death via dramatic tension. He is totally bringing his A-game in there.

Whereas I think the Apocalypse narrative LP started off with a suicide bomber among X-Com's ranks blowing up half the starting recruits. Hah.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
NO NOT ALLEN!

your pay aliens :argh:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
My old Sargeant used to say, what you do is, you have a whip-round. Flowers, coffin, the works. You don't let anyone else do it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Let's have some levity.

quote:

Where the hell is the commander? He’s never in the office.
What is it?
AAH! Viewscreen.

Now all I can imagine is when Mr.Council shows up, you get two viewscreens pointed at each other. Probably on a trolley.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Let's have some levity.

Now all I can imagine is when Mr.Council shows up, you get two viewscreens pointed at each other. Probably on a trolley.

I was going for picture-in-picture, but your idea is funnier.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Speedball posted:

Being fair, losing people in UFO Defense/Apolcalypse is expected and balanced around that.

losing people in EU can be game ending.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

There is no "overkill." There is only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

I know the maxim, but really, A little less "open fire" means a little less "I need to reload" so you can keep "open fire"ing a few more times before "I'm completely dry"ing.

Or, if we're talking in XCOM terms, a little less "I need to reload" when you've got a clean shot on that muton closing in on you, but can't shoot it back, first.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 6, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Bloodly posted:

Let's have some levity.

I was more expecting a large monolith of black Onyx with the words XCOM in blue on the front.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Cooked Auto posted:

I was more expecting a large monolith of black Onyx with the words XCOM in blue on the front.

I sure of what you meant, and yet...

___

Sir, I rarely question the Council's decisions, but...you don't think the 2001 look is a little ornate for your viewscreen? I mean, it's a classic and all, but we have military, military, then this giant thing. Are you trying to tell us something?

And when'd the damm thing get fit in? Way to make a guy feel small.

___

Great, now I'm imagining every time the Council comes in the Mouth of Council viewscreen is more crazy.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cooked Auto posted:

As long as we avoid Neon Genesis Evangelion - XCOM edition we'll be fine.

gently caress. Can't unthink of meld as tang now.

• Locked thread