Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Omobono posted:

As long as we avoid Neon Genesis Evangelion - XCOM edition we'll be fine.

gently caress. Can't unthink of meld as tang now.

I can't help but hum Komm Susser Tod whenever my squad is about to be horribly wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omobono posted:

As long as we avoid Neon Genesis Evangelion - XCOM edition we'll be fine.

gently caress. Can't unthink of meld as tang now.

Tang is delicious, though? Also a wonderful way to dissolve all barriers between people and meld into one horrifying mass consciousness.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I was referring more to NGE than 2001 in this case.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What's really funny is the councilman isn't evil at all, he just likes looking and talking all spooky.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Speedball posted:

What's really funny is the councilman isn't evil at all, he just likes looking and talking all spooky.

Everything sounds shady when that guy says it:

Commander, we have good news: your...wife...has gone into labor.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speedball posted:

I like to think that in this LP at least part of the reason he's all spooky is that when they were setting XCOM, during the communication system testing our commander was all "C'mon son, we're MiBs, you HAVE to look all spooky and shady or the mooks won't take this seriously".

Cooked Auto posted:

I was referring more to NGE than 2001 in this case.

Wasn't NGE referencing 2001 with the SEELE monoliths? Or was it just a coincidence and/or drawing from a common source?

I'm trying to picture Gendo as commander but I surprisingly think it wouldn't work that well, XCOM is too well-meaning.
Now, Gendo as councilman? Run for the nearest galaxy.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Well, I know it's unlikely to get taken in, but for my suggestion I suggest Clarissa Stienbeck, who's... a bit of an anime nerd. She joins X-com out of a sense of adventure... and basically assumes she'll be a comic book hero or magical girl with the big cool laser weapons and go pshoo pshoo then the 'bad guys' blow up and everything's happy and they'll have cake!

She'll probably be /swiftly/ disabused of this notion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My Recommendation:
Saqr Bin Khaled. Saudi Arabian son of a Shiekh. Danger Seeking and fancies himself a playboy. All who met him can agree hes a better friend and person when drunk. Has a Doctorate in Microbiology that is gathering serious dust.
Usually tells things straight, no sugarcoating, ever. Tells the worst jokes and a bit too easy to amuse.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Omobono posted:

I'm trying to picture Gendo as commander but I surprisingly think it wouldn't work that well, XCOM is too well-meaning.
Now, Gendo as councilman? Run for the nearest galaxy.

Fuyutsuki could be a good commander to Gendo's councilman. I wish there were more characters on the strategic layer, with their own abilities and personalities. For example, somebody under Bradford could give you information on enemy lines of sight visually, whereas a character under Vahlen could slow down something not yet covered, and give rough predictions of what enemy units may do. And no, this isn't just the command room staff from NGE at all :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

quote:

Submissions

Ooh, good idea. When I recruit more XCOMs next month I'll probably name the non-sucky ones after these.

...I do have ideas in place for naming all currently-sucking benchwarmers. Heh.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Speedball posted:

VERY GOOD POINT, I will concede, but again, even that's not apples to apples because he's not allowing for a little death via dramatic tension. He is totally bringing his A-game in there.

Whereas I think the Apocalypse narrative LP started off with a suicide bomber among X-Com's ranks blowing up half the starting recruits. Hah.

that Apoc LP could be called XCOM Suicide Bomber, given how Guava both started it and ended it. For what it's worth I think you're doing fine, dramatic tension is different than "here's how to utterly own this game" so it's cool.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Writing a short story about a telepathic disease, give me an hour and I'll start working on Saturday's XCOM update. Heh.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Fuyutsuki could be a good commander to Gendo's councilman. I wish there were more characters on the strategic layer, with their own abilities and personalities. For example, somebody under Bradford could give you information on enemy lines of sight visually, whereas a character under Vahlen could slow down something not yet covered, and give rough predictions of what enemy units may do. And no, this isn't just the command room staff from NGE at all :v:

That's exactly what X-COM needs: bridge bunnies.

Once you have New Guy and don't have to give newbies a training montage, get a MEC trooper kid who has to be firmly encouraged to get in the loving robot before every sortie.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did my character submission get accepted? I only added a name :ohdear:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neopie posted:

Well, I know it's unlikely to get taken in, but for my suggestion I suggest Clarissa Stienbeck, who's... a bit of an anime nerd. She joins X-com out of a sense of adventure... and basically assumes she'll be a comic book hero or magical girl with the big cool laser weapons and go pshoo pshoo then the 'bad guys' blow up and everything's happy and they'll have cake!

She'll probably be /swiftly/ disabused of this notion.

Hey, it's a lot like being a magical girl.

Good pay, using the enemy's dead to sustain yourself, short lifespan, closed casket funeral if they can even find your body, and all working for distinctly shady overlords who probably have hidden agendas.

...She did watch Madoka, right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Honestly, I figure the hardest part of the narrative will be dealing with the deaths and having to pop in new characters on the fly. Unless things go particularly well it is all too likely all the first soldiers will be gone, replaced, and those replaced.

A habit of benching the most top ranked people unless you specifically NEED them for a mission does help prolong the lives of your first badasses, but :xcom: can still happen the second you dust off that Captain Assault or Major sniper.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Whew, latest mission went by surprisingly well.

So well, in fact, that the commander decided that promotions all around were in order.

Now to edit all those images into a coherent narrative.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Thanks for getting me back into this game, thread. All my high level officers are dead except the Assault lady, and I just shot down an Abductor ship :xcom:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

chiasaur11 posted:

Hey, it's a lot like being a magical girl.

Good pay, using the enemy's dead to sustain yourself, short lifespan, closed casket funeral if they can even find your body, and all working for distinctly shady overlords who probably have hidden agendas.

...She did watch Madoka, right?

I would play X-Com: Magical Girls so hard.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ratoslov posted:

Paging ViceVirtuoso, paging ViceVirtuoso...

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Sign a contract with X-COM, and become a MECagical Girl!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'll be honest and say I didn't particularly like the whole anime / madoka bent of the last LP, it was interesting from a mechanical standpoint but the genre doesn't interest me in the slightest.

that being said, I'd still want to see an all madoka civ LP at some point, purely to see how it would end

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 9: PORTENT!

Well, let’s use some of that funding to build a workshop next to the MEC lab.
The synergy should let us cut a few corners, save a few resources here and there when building expensive things.
And I guess we’ll blow most of the rest of it on another Satellite. Next time we’ll try to build a lab for Vahlen, too, speed up our research. Now, I’d better check on all the troops to see how they are…

Glad to see you’re doing so well.
Yeah, Hilda got crushed by that thing too and she’s going to be in here for a week.
Well, obviously your body recovers in almost no time at all, but how’s things upstairs?
*sigh* I’ve had a lot of poo poo to deal with, I’m glad we have a counsellor. Hey, Naomi…compared to the rest, we’ve changed so much we’re unrecognizable now. Do you have any regrets?
Fewer as time goes on. A lot of things that I thought mattered… don’t.
Yeah, we don’t get to choose what cards we’re given, but we get to choose what we keep, and what we give away.

TIME PASSES!

Well, we saw Willow in the Officer Training Room…
Hkk…how was it?
Don’t try to talk too much. It’s… really cheesy. It’s a fantasy movie about a hobbit who’s bad at magic and a Han Solo swordsman guy played by Val Kilmer trying to find a home for a special baby, and everyone wants to kill them. But there’s this one part…

The Val Kilmer guy’s best friend, a general, gets killed and his last words are to grin and say, “Win this war for me.” And I started crying because, I realize it’s like Allen’s talking to me…using this cheesy movie…
Oh… Cam…
It’s fine, it’s fine. Anyway…one of the last things Allen said to me was to consider this hot——…er, uh… to use what I’ve got as I see fit. These fast legs helped me run back and save your life on the last mission; be stupid to give ‘em up.
Yeah, those are good legs…

And I’m way better at dodging bullets now, too. Since I don’t want to get my head blown off…yeah.
Well, hkk, take care out there, okay, Cammy?
‘Course. You too.

We are finished building our Alien Containment chamber, Commander! All I need to do is put the last finishing touches on the Arc Thrower stun-gun, and we can begin live captures!

She called you Cammy? Haha, she liiiikes you. And she complimented your legs too!
Knock it off, willya? I already feel like Allen’s laughing at me from somewhere…heh…
Ahh, crap, I’m getting beeped! Time to get back to work!

The Office of Dr. Alicia Gomez, Therapist!

I can’t believe I froze up like that during the mission, Dr. Gomez!
It’s fine. You didn’t cost anyone their lives, and everyone else was there to back you up. You were just surprised by the intensity of the moment. Try not to assign blame to death; it’s not healthy. Oooh, I’m getting beeped…
Me too!

Commander, a strange report about humans fighting over what we believe is some sort of alien technology has surfaced. The battleground is only minutes old, and we must investigate immediately. We believe that the aliens have also been alerted to this.
Mobilize our best troops!
Already have, commander!

I’m going into combat with my therapist?!
Well, I am the next-best shooter. Think of it as a morale-boosting exercise. We’ll be just fine, I promise you.
Okay, you’re the most mobile of us all, Leroy, even more than me, somehow…so we’re counting on you being able to run up and shock an alien into unconsciousness. Any alien will do, but a talking alien like a Thin Man will be even better.
Sure thing, Cammy.
HEY! Nobody calls me that—
Except Princess?~~

Bar-Lev, back me up on this!
Forget it, Watkins. Once you’ve got a stupid nickname, it sticks. The genie cannot go back in the bottle.

All women, huh? Interesting.
I swear, I haven’t been playing favorites with the gender ratio. All the men just suck. Er, no offense, Watkins.
None taken.
The only promising male candidate I have so far is a guy who thinks he’s Hulk Hogan. Or maybe the real deal, he’s very convincing…
Oh, he was my 5 o’clock!

Okay, we detected movement somewhere past this blasted building. Gomez and Eva, take the roof to the left. Bar-Lev, take the right and get ready to use your field to shield me and Leroy as we go up to the door in the center.

While elevation has classically provided tactical advantages, Eva, it also provides a psychological edge. You should feel stronger than anyone you see below you.
Even if heights make me nervous?
Even then.

THIN MEN!

There are three of them. I can shoot and kill at least one of them, if I don’t miss. The gun tends to overheat between firings, though, so the rest will be on you.
I can sprint around one and give it both barrels with the shotgun. We shoot to wound the other one. Wounded aliens will be easy pickings for the arc thrower, so you run up right after, Leroy, and shock it. Eva and Gomez, you got a shot at the third on the left?

I do feel stronger! Just exhale and squeeze the trigger…

I did it! Enemy down!
Very good!

Now I’ll put a bullet into the foot of the one by Bar-Lev…
SSSSsssss!
Now’s your chance, go!

It is an Action Wada suit! Say goodnight, rear end in a top hat!
Great! Alien captured, lethal force on everything else!
There’s a fourth Thin Man behind the cars to the right, Cammy, be careful!

I said—

YOU don’t get to call me that!
Can’t see the fourth one, it could come at us from multiple angles…

AAAGGGH!
Naomi!
I…I’m fine…this armor has a big hole in it, though. My turn!

Great shot! Okay, here’s the plan. Bar-Lev and I will continue down the street to the right. Eva, get onto the left side of the next rooftop. The rest of you will keep our avenue of retreat open, we know these drat Thin Men like hopping down behind us to cut us off.

A survivor! Okay, I’m gonna try to maneuver close to him…
Great, rescued by XCOM… Get lost…
There is a Thin Man hiding behind the trailer to the far left!

Not for long!

Hi!

Hey, you alright? Can you move?
…yes. But I’m not going with you.
This survivor might have been one of the aggressors in the fight between the humans; no way to know but to bring him in for questioning.
C’mon. We have someone with a very big stun gun and she’s not afraid to use it on you. Our cyborg would just sling you over her back like a sack of potatoes. Your choice: under your own power, or not. I guarantee the aliens aren’t going to give you a better deal.
…fine.

AAAH! They’re here! They’re everywhere!

I missed him! HELP!
I got it, I got it!

WHEW! Can’t touch this! Thank you, Allen.

There’s more aliens dropping down right here!
And behind us too!
Surrender would be the smart thing to do. You are smart, aren’t you?
Nope.

One X-ray down!

Ahhh, Dr. Alicia Gomez… we have your—AAAIGH!
Ha HA! Your transparent attempts at psychological manipulation won’t work on me or my bullets!

Hey, free Sectoid!
I got the one behind us!
Good! I’m moving up!

Beh. Cyborgs. Mutants. Reject soldiers. You think you’re so special? You’re nothing but a *cough* a bunch of puppets…
Pretty loving awesome puppets.

Two more! Take ‘em down!

RAAAAAAAAAH! I will feast on your toxic tears!

Yes! We’re through! Good work, everyone.
*blows kazoo*
Shut up, rear end in a top hat.

Fantastic work, everyone! Promotions all around! Dr. Gomez, you’re our new secondary sniper next to Princess.
Well. Thank you!
Eva Semyenova, you’ve got some muscle under that uniform. You think you could handle something bigger than an assault rifle?
I’ll try, sir!
Perfect, you’re our new Heavy. Pick out a rocket launcher at the armory.
…whoah.

Not only do we have two alien samples, we have undamaged alien weaponry! This will take so much work to examine…but it will all be worth it.

And as for you, Mr. Thin Man…just you wait. We’ve got someone special planned for you.
…if you sssay so. You may not like what you discover. Some knowledge is a burden…
He’s trying to psych you out. Don’t listen.

to be continued

Speedball fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 7, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Speedball posted:

The only promising male candidate I have so far is a guy who thinks he’s Hulk Hogan. Or maybe the real deal, he’s very convincing…

Yesssssssssss.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

YES

HULKAMANIA IS RUNNING WILD, BROTHER

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

13 kills and no losses is a good day in anyone's books!

And I told you Assaults are amazing. Assaults are the Best.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I was about to going to go with my character in habeasdorkus' FM2014 LP which was a Chris Jericho ripoff, but with Hulkamania being a thing the wrestler market might be crowded. So instead I would like to request that you write a really big Hulk Hogan mark who basically treats him as a god. Since I can't think of a good name I'll go with Mark "Terry" Johnson

Or you can do the Chris Jericho thing, whatever is more fun to write.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Night10194 posted:

13 kills and no losses is a good day in anyone's books!

And I told you Assaults are amazing. Assaults are the Best.

They are probably one of the most efficient classes of them all. Though I have my preferences, they don't really have a single bad skill to choose from.

Which is not to say I haven't also fallen in love with a few effective Heavies, Snipers or Supports. But Assaults tend to pull off the most daring victories, dodging enemy fire like crazy.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I once had a Heavy miss a rocket into the middle of nowhere and kill 5 Sectoids I didn't know were there. I don't think she missed so much as she saw something better to aim at that I didn't. :black101:

I love Heavies, for all their Aim troubles. I love all the classes except Sniper, who is extremely useful and effective and all, just very boring.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I had an assault survive a turn fighting two mutons in no cover. Another had five thin men shooting in his direction while he was in half cover. Pulled through and let me finish guiding light in record time.

I love those guys.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 7, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
If you've not played Portent before, just know that in spite of how badly Speedball clowned it the mission is actually potentially very difficult. Usually it's the first Council Mission you get so generally you've got four Squaddies up against serious and brutal Thin Man Rain. Your only advantage is that the enemy always appear in the same places in the same numbers every single time, so if you know where they'll be you can set everyone up in position to blow them to alien hell as they drop in on you. Otherwise everyone will eat lots of hot death from the many, many LPR shots the Thin Men will fire your way if they survive at all. Even on the lower difficulties they're scary accurate with those things.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Feinne posted:

Even on the lower difficulties they're scary accurate with those things.

LPR also have a built in +10 Aim bonus, as good as a scope :pseudo: Which is the only (nifty) thing that separates them from Laser Rifles. Well, in use. Research/Manufacturing costs, and the Chance to taze a pile of thin men early game to be swimming in them is still a thing.

It's also why LPR Support Squaddies in Multiplayer are cheap yet effective soldiers with 80% Aim and 8 HP, for only 1,150 points before extras like armor. If you are just looking for a simple dude with a gun who can actually hit stuff. Floaters for like, 1K or something list a goddamned 50% aim, that's worse than a rookie (But they tend to be flying so have air bonuses to help then be not literally be worse than a rookie). It's been literal years since I've done the MP but I had a soft spot for using a pair of certain aliens who approve of the Joker's taste in colors.

EDIT: Never going to loving let go of the fact Floaters can't open wooden doors, or get down off 1 tile tall elevations they climbed onto without entering flight mode.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 7, 2014

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you're still accepting ideas for more (male) recruits, how about a cross between Naomi and Zinchenko, a Russian covert infiltration specialist: Adamska Shalashaska

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Archenteron posted:

If you're still accepting ideas for more (male) recruits, how about a cross between Naomi and Zinchenko, a Russian covert infiltration specialist: Adamska Shalashaska

He's pretty good.
:ocelot:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Really enjoying your narrative. I enjoy your explanation as to why the survivor goes with you when he clearly hates you. "Bitch, I have stun guns and cyborgs, you have nearly crippling injuries. You really want to go there?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Feinne posted:

If you've not played Portent before, just know that in spite of how badly Speedball clowned it the mission is actually potentially very difficult.

I beat EU on standard difficulty, then fired it back up once I got EW on Classic difficulty. Made it to this mission, did a poo poo-ton of save/reloading to cope with the loving Thin Men and total lack of cover (most of the useful cover got blown up en route to the survivor, which turned out to be a bad idea), and then stopped playing. This mission is conspicuously hard.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Leaving people behind to clear the way of invading Thin Men dropping behind you is a useful strategy in general but I kinda had them memorized this time around, to be honest. That's why Leroy was in the exact right position to capture the sectoid without moving. Some people may call foreknowledge cheating, I call it taking the sting out of a bullshit mission.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who didn't have a problem with this mission. It's a pretty bog standard escort mission that functions just like every other council mission like it :confused:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Speedball posted:

Leaving people behind to clear the way of invading Thin Men dropping behind you is a useful strategy in general but I kinda had them memorized this time around, to be honest. That's why Leroy was in the exact right position to capture the sectoid without moving. Some people may call foreknowledge cheating, I call it taking the sting out of a bullshit mission.

Nah that was Jade Star did as well in his LP I'd say that's standard procedure with that mission at subsequent runs or in general even I'd have to say.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
The Thin Men are talking.

...The THIN MEN are talking. :gonk:

• Locked thread