Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Checking in.

Never actually played XCOM. I already like how you can customize your individual soldiers just so they can get brutally murdered later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Are those Continent Bonuses as good as they sound? Makes it seem like focusing on two or so continents to the detriment of all the others is the most viable early-game strategy until you've got the resources to handle all of them.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Paging ViceVirtuoso, paging ViceVirtuoso...

I don't even own this game. :v:

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Claverjoe posted:

Hey, she's Israeli, go with Merkava

Can we get a Gordeau and a Waldstein too? We'll call it "Tier Whore Squadron."

So, I want to give a big shout-out to SwissArmyDruid for being generous enough to gift me this game on Steam! I decided to try it out this morning. By the time I looked at the clock, I had about 15 minutes to get to work...on an evening shift. Now I can re-read everything up to this point and actually have a fair understanding of what's going on in the screenshots. The gameplay honestly gives me a Valkyria Chronicles vibe, except without the game-breakingness of Orders. And the danger of losing highly-promoted Units you've grown attached to is something I really hope to recreate in Wish for the World.

Question: does taking cover apply defense to attacks made from any direction, or just the direction in which your character actually has cover?

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
So, turns out my initial 10-hour binge of the game was on Enemy Unknown, and not Enemy Within like it should have been. :doh: The mechanics added in EW seem to be purposefully designed to get you to blow your cover and be reckless. Meld doesn't seem worth the trouble of going out of your way to get, really -- putting your best soldiers in gene therapy is a massive flag signalling for Very Difficult abductions to come in that 3-day period when all you've got are your rookies and squaddies!

I think I'd like the game a lot more if it wasn't so RNG-based (I am currently 0 for 10 on Overwatch shots against Seekers), but, I guess the term I'm supposed to say here is :xcom:?

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't remember if it's made clear, but Overwatch shots are made at a significant aim penalty. I think it's 15% or maybe even 25%.

I remember the tooltip saying that the Aim penalty was minor, but I could have been wrong. Either way, 15% or more is massive. Overwatch seems largely pointless in light of that.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Funny thing is that I honestly have yet to have major problems with Chryssalids. At least they have to close the gap. I'd rather see 3 or 4 Chryssalids than one Sectoid Commander, personally. 100% (or so it seems) hit rate Mind Control from range is absurd.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Beat the game last night. Was a little disappointed to see that the game ends up suffering from Civilization Snowball Syndrome -- the game's difficulty just continues to drop as you get more goodies; after about the third month I had only one death aside from the cutscene death of your supreme psychic at the end. Though the last mission was pretty tough. So I have a few questions:

• I had my covert operative get Mimetic Skin near the end of the game -- my only one with that mod, since a lot of my Meld went into making 2 MEC-3s. I noticed that the operative stayed cloaked when moving to new cover. Is that just a visual bug or can you actually run around in perma-stealth as long as you have full cover?
  • Does the end-of-month ranking have any effect? It was a little irritating when I cleaned house on every mission but got a C because I couldn't take down the Large UFOs with my jets while I was working on getting Firestorms.
  • Is Psi Panic ever worth it? All it's ever done has given my enemy free shots.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
So that's why Mimetic Skin is so expensive. From the in-game description, it sounded like you'd lose your invisibility as soon as you moved. Combine that with the fact that I thought "high cover" meant "being in cover at a high elevation" instead of "full-shield cover" and it seemed like it was basically just there for perched Snipers to stay safe from Seekers/enemy drop-ins on a rooftop.

I'll certainly give that a go on my next playthrough. I feel like going through one more EW game before playing Long War; this time I'll try different builds and tactics, and see if I can win without a single death. For one thing, I never once deployed a SHIV, so I'm going to make them a major research focus this time around.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Looks like you can also get Shigeru Miyamoto. Unfortunately, they just missed the possibility of getting Hiroshi Yamauchi -- the last name they put in is instead Yamaguchi.

Also, there's the completely unrelated possibility of getting Akemi Saito. Wonder what technologies you could research after an Incubator Autopsy? Externalized Soul Gene Mod?

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Bloodly posted:

They're not happy. They're in constant pain and in permanent rage at everything if I recall it right. They can't 'enjoy their state' because they're not in a mental state TO enjoy it.

'How did they get the flesh to not reject the metal?' They didn't bother.

Some of them cringe and squirt blood from their joints when you first discover them. Theirs is not a fun existence.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
I'm gonna be the odd one out and go with Adrenal Neurosympathy. I'm going to assume that, if it were a thing in real life, it would trigger off of basically anything that gives you an adrenaline surge or endorphin rush, rather than just from blowing a hole in a Muton. You'd be very fun at parties, concerts, conventions, etc.; everyone there is automatically feeling better if you are. You could be one of the most valuable players of any sporting team, just by virtue of you making everyone else play that much better. And you'd get one hell of a reputation for your sexual prowess.

If we were to go with the assumption that the only biological method of triggering it would be to kill something, then I'll go with Secondary Heart instead. Preferably one that's transplanted from someone else rather than made from my own tissue; I've got a history of heart disease on both sides of the family.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
My experience with the game is significantly lower than most of you, buuuut I'll chime in.

Sectoid Commanders. gently caress Mind Control, seriously. Yeah, Ethereals are much better at it, but by the time you start encountering them, you've likely got 6 Colonels/Majors loaded with Gene Mods, Psionics of their own, Titan/Ghost Armor, and Plasma weapons. For the first few missions you encounter the former, you aren't nearly as well-prepared to deal with getting MC'ed.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Finished my second run of the game on Ironman Normal. Aside from the three-death disaster I had when I assaulted the ship with the Ethereal Device in it, it was a lot easier than my first run, so I figure it's time to either move up to Classic or try Long War. (lesson learned: don't gently caress with a Sectopod if you're still rocking Carapace and Lasers.)

Never used a SHIV in my first playthrough, so I decided to make some. I had no idea that Hover SHIVs were so good. I manufactured a bunch of them as backups once the money started piling up in the late game, decided to do an abduction mission with all 6 of them, and proceeded to clean house faster than I would have with my six Colonels. The defense they have in midair is absurd.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Kasrkin posted:

how is that even... Is this really possible? what did you DO all the time? How did you manage this? :psyduck:

Tried to power through the storyline missions too fast, I suppose. I thought the game actually had a time limit and you'd lose if you took too long, but apparently you can move well into 2016 and beyond if you keep panic down. Once I found that out, I just kept shooting down the craft with the Ethereal Device on it but leaving it to rot while I grinded out cash, Meld, and such. Probably shot it down a good six or seven times before I finally went to raid it again. Amusingly, shooting down a UFO but not going to check out the wreckage has no ill effect on your end-of-month ranking...I got an "A" on every month.

So Speedball, please tell me we're getting a chapter in which Van Doorn controls 6 SHIVs and converses with himself the whole time.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

BattleCattle posted:

And they can Gattai to form something akin to Liberty Prime.

The Ethereals better hope they aren't Communists. Based on the Ethereals' MO, though, they're much closer to Fascists, but it wouldn't be in-character for Van Doorn and/or a Liberty-Prime-SHIVoltron to be able to make any sort of distinction between the two.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Siegkrow posted:

Plastic Snake 2

I'm already doing my part to make this happen.

If anyone can help me come up with some loading screen logs (including Codec conversations), I'd appreciate it!

I am shocked at how much I'm actually enjoying Beyond Earth. Sure, the AI is absolutely laughable and diplomacy may as well not be there, but I am absolutely in love with the Tech Web and the quests (the ones that work). Also, nice to see wide viable again. It also has significantly fewer bugs than I was expecting. It even runs better on my laptop than Civ 5.

Clicking that button if you already own the game should immediately close Civ 5 and boot up BE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Rumda posted:

That's all Civ Games to be honest.

BE takes it to a whole new level, though. It's rather commonplace to complete an entire BE game without making a single trade with an AI. Even vanilla Civ 5 had Luxury trading and Research Agreements. If you're playing the game properly and chose your Affinity based on your nearby Strategics, there is essentially nothing the AI has to realistically offer you. You could try buying Science from them, but their asking rate is absurd.

Chard posted:

Endless Space is a good game if you hate diplomacy.

Here's a question for the ages: are there any strategy games with good diplomacy?

• Locked thread