Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

DDS are one of the most overlooked and underrated titles in a franchise that is overlooked and underrated by default. I caught pretty much none of the symbolism in my first run through both of them so I am eagerly looking forward to this second look at the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bat is a dick in the story and in terms of game mechanics as well, that basically sums up why he has such a big anti-fan club. I'm going to enjoy watching Dragonatrix school him, this is even better than replaying the game myself. :allears:

The bits about the novelization are nice too. I always thought the Junkyard was a very interesting setting that we never got to see in its full glory because we are dropped in media res without much of an explanation of... Well, anything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It does not help that Demon Co-Op was a massive step down from the Press Turn and 1 More systems. I could deal with tedious gimmicky dungeon crawls if at least the combat was fun.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed watching you trivialize this entire game all the way to the Demifiend. Looking forward to everyone's reactions to DDS2's plot. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Petiso posted:

That is what I meant about the Tribhvana, they set them up as the usual recurring miniboss squad yet the game makes you fight them so quickly in sucession (the first two times are two almost identical battles in the same dungeon). Not only that, there seems to be an unexplored rivalry with Cielo there, why did Gale specifically say "Cielo is far greater than you"? And why is Cielo forced into your party for that battle? It feels as if we had skipped an episode of a TV show.

I like the idea that Cielo just wanted to have a sky-themed rival but couldn't decide between Air and Heaven, so when Earth ate both of them, he got the honor instead.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This is the point when you realize that, no matter how weird the game might have been at one point, it can always get weirder.

Also that DDS2 really, really likes very long end game dungeons.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So it is a puzzle and luck based boss fight. Yeesh, not much better than the Demifiend after all.

That 3 turn kill is glorious though. If it weren't for the pattern change when Satan gets low enough, I would have thought it is the intended way to beat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never noticed the Nocturne Terminals. That... That sure is a thing. I think it is interesting that Brahman is the embodiment of the problem with the DDS Press Turn System: Making bosses lose all their turns is kind of broken. I agree this is probably by design though, since the optional bosses were fairly tough.

I always thought it was a shame that the plot, which was fairly unique among SMT games, got reduced to "beat up god and use Let's Positive Thinking to make everything better". A shame since it is coming from a game that opened up with a world where people had to eat each other.

Great job with the LP, Dragonatrix.

• Locked thread