Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This was and is one of my favourite games (even if it has a couple noticeable flaws). The universe set down in this game is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

RSCNyx posted:

Ah, Eternal Darkness, a game Silicon Knights forgot to make a sequel for due to reasons. Well, they tried, but it CERTAINLY DIDN'T GO WELL.

Um, that never happened and it's rude to talk about it.

(Seriously, how did Silicon Knights end up making a good game?)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

If only the planned sequel to ED had involved Nintendo, then we might have had something amazing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Silicon Knights was basically a really elaborate Ponzi scheme, with games publishers as the marks.

Why? Did the third parties basically do all the work on those projects?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

The alignment you pick in the prologue also determines the order in which you acquire alignment runes for magick. Without saying too much, there are a few reasons the one you get first on the Xel'lotath path is undesirable and adds to the run's difficulty.

I would say this is actually the most deterministic factor towards difficulty in this game, just because of how much easier magick makes things (I'll discuss my beef with the game's difficulty curve as it becomes relevant).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Xel'o'tath enemies have phantom limbs and heads and thus can't be disabled.

It's not that they can't be disabled - it's that the phantom limbs do sanity damage instead of normal damage.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Carbolic Smokeball posted:

Man, this all makes so much sense. I always wondered why I had so much trouble keeping my sanity up when I played the first time. I played Xel'otath first, and Chattur'gha after. I never did Ulyaoth but this LP might be motivating me to revisit this game. Maybe I'll do a playalong

I generally go through Xel'lotath's run as a low sanity run to experience the effects that has on the game. Trying to keep up high sanity on a Xel'lotath run is ridiculous.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's happening (.gif)

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I'm surprised you didn't get any of the active sanity effects in this level. Also, fun fact: there's one sanity effect that makes it seem like the room is full of ammunition (when in reality it isn't actually there, of course). This is - as far as I know - the only way to see blowgun ammunition, as it doesn't show up in the game conventionally!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

JackNapier posted:

I won't spoil them but there are some that are actually foreshadowing for things that happen to the character, also, it might be my eyes playing tricks on me but was the ghoulish looking dude who talked to Elia, and gave her the heart, was that the character I think we play next, or am I seeing poo poo, because it really looked like him

No spoilers are necessary. He was a character (an Egyptian, I believe) that was cut from the final release of the game. Originally you were supposed to play as him the first time through the level, and then as Ellia the second time.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Neruz posted:

It's important to remember that this game seemed a lot more amazing when it was released; unfortunately Eternal Darkness hasn't aged very well.

I would say the parts of the game that were good have aged well, but the games flaws have aged terribly now that more solid games have been released in the genre.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Is it just me or is the game just... not scary?

That's just it, the game isn't all that scary (with exceptions here and there), but the atmosphere of the game is rather creepy and unsettling. The problem is that the latter element is often lost on an LP.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Neruz posted:

That is because it really isn't a good idea at all.

They really messed up by not attaching some sort of penalty to using magick in this game. It would have made it so much more interesting.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kurieg posted:

You could get really creative with partitioned archives and multiple geocities accounts.

If they ever make a sequel, there should be a character slightly in the past who has to use terrible 90s internet.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

NineWheels posted:

Well, so much for promises. The footage looks fine in Final Cut, but no matter what I do, I cannot find a way to export the videos without them suddenly becoming blown out. So I guess this Let's Play is on hold indefinitely, until I can figure this poo poo out. Sorry guys. Not exactly how I wanted my first SA LP to go...

No problem. Sometimes LPs fall victim to technical problems, even if only temporarily. Your first two videos were pretty informative, and did basically what an Eternal Darkness LP should probably be doing, for what it's worth.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

It's weird how few sanity effects we're getting considering we tromped around for most of the level with no sanity almost.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the objects the game forces you to trapper start piling up on subsequent visits.

The trapper dimension is one of the greatest ways in which this game hints that the peculiarities of this universe go well beyond what the player is told or allowed to witness. This is an amazing thing to properly pull off in a Lovecraftian horror setting, and one of the reasons I will still defend this game (to a point) today.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

An explanation of why Bonethieves barely give back any sanity compared to how much they take; basically, if a Bonethief bursts out of something else, it removes a lot of your sanity. Way more than simply encountering a Bonethief in and of itself would. Normally, when an enemy sees you, it takes away a certain amount of sanity, and finishing that enemy brings back a comparable amount of sanity, so the extra sanity loss from a Bonethief bursting out of a victim causes a huge net loss in sanity.

Another annoying thing about this is that (as observant viewers may have noticed this last episode), once you run out of sanity entirely, any further sanity loss is depleted from your health meter. This means a Bonethief encountered in this way at low sanity can actually be really dangerous.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I find it really creepy that when you get insane enough in this level (which is some unidentified but very, very ancient settlement), you hear the wailing of women and the crying of children. Exactly what terrible things happened to this place to make it so important?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

JackNapier posted:

If it truly is MaxI know the exact Sanity effect your speaking of, and as far as I know, it's scripted, I've never, ever not seen it happen

There are a number of scripted/semi-scripted sanity effects that will always take effect unless you maintain perfect sanity all the time.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dual Monarchy posted:

The next chapter really is quite a pinnacle, I think after that chapter the house itself stops being a safe hub or something if I remember correctly as well, so the game really does ramp up in tension too. God I love this game's atmosphere, clunky as the spells might get later on I thought that system was really cool. The different chants for the alignments are the best. :allears:

Nope; that doesn't happen until way later in the game. Also, as to the other comment, what does deliberately killing your servants do that normal sanity loss wouldn't?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Does anyone know what Max is reciting in the basement when he's fighting zombies and going insane? I always assumed it was some Orthodox or Latin chant, but never found out exactly what it was.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Now I'm imagining a story where our universe becomes a multidimensional trade center mostly because we're the alcohol dimension (which would explain how we keep finding so many ways to produce the drat thing).

I'm pretty sure any species that didn't evolve and develop with alcohol would consider a toxin. However, I would entertain a story where alien species regard Homo Sapiens as badasses because they literally drink poison for fun.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And here's where the difficulty curve completely loses it. You are now effectively invulnerable to anything the game normally throws at you, and most of the levels from here on out will give you one or more really powerful weapons (with a surplus of ammo should it be needed).

That said, it's amazing that the book at the end is the pulp-fictionest looking thing. :3:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

I think he's actually the first character so far to finish his chapter alive and sane, too? Depends exactly what happened to Karim, I suppose.

And Pious, but he certainly doesn't look alive.

Karim kind of had something horrible happen to him (we don't know specifically what) at the end of his chapter. To my knowledge, Edwin is one of the few characters who ends his story arc relatively unscathed, and we don't even know that that's true. As was pointed above, Edwin leaves very quickly after giving Edward the artifact, suggesting its presence has been messing with him at least a bit.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

NineWheels posted:

I would love that so very much. The actual flavor-text reads "Lindsey has no intention of leaving the temple yet. He is determined to get to the artifact before Augustine does. No one crosses Edwin Lindsey!"

He is way too unflappable to be a character in this game.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

My idea for making spells have a drawback is that they should take something from you. After all, it is magic born from some eldritch horrors. Imagine if healing spells healed you but decreased your maximum health, and same for sanity healing spells.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

When you're making a game you sometimes need to make tradeoffs between what would be realistic (lol) and what would be fun.

But you sacrifice way too much from the atmosphere by making the game easy.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

That's also a nasty combo, since when you're fighting Chatturgah, you're more likely to be low on health, and when you're fighting Xel'o'tath, you're absolutely going to be low on sanity.

The big problem with balancing magic, though, is that it recovers over time. I definitely remember walking in circles in a safe room until my magic meter had refilled so I could recast more healing spells. When you can pull that kind of trick off reliably, any fight that doesn't totally exhaust your resources is one you can completely recover from. Maybe you should get magic from performing finishing moves, instead of sanity? :shrug: (And then remove the over-time recovery, of course)

I like this idea. Although you could still potentially end up screwed and have to restart the chapter, because enemies in this game don't respawn infinitely in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Louispul5 posted:

Pretty sure your sanity goes down over time just slightly slower than your mana goes up though. So you traded sanity for health, which if you ran out of that you also lost health.

Nope. Magick is the only thing that goes up over time. Everything else you need to get back manually.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

I think some, if not most, of the laborers were bonethieved.

And maybe Augustine somehow knew that the guy was the chosen, and sent him there to get past kharim and the traps and bring out the relic for him.

This can't be true because in a later chapter, you get the artifact from Roberto's ghost as another character, meaning Roberto managed to conceal the artifact during the entire construction of the tower until he was thrown in without Pious finding it. :psyduck:

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

bpACH posted:

Keep in mind that the artifact that Roberto found was for Ulyaoth who is weak to Xel'lotath and of less concern to Pious than the other artifacts.

I'm willing to accept this as an excuse. The artifact was kind of just left there, after all.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

You didn't save the nurse that got attacked by the Bonethief - you monster!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Serifina posted:

Edward's chapter is the most frustrating for me because I tend to fight the things and that means this chapter takes for-frickin'-ever. Except that last wave of Lesser Guardians. Screw them.

The Elephant Gun, particularly if enchanted with a 7-point dominant enchant, does truly ridiculous single-shot damage. It's the most powerful ranged weapon for single attacks, but not the most powerful ranged weapon overall(there's one I think that does kill things overall faster). It's also funny seeing Edward knock himself flat on his back with it. Edward's also got enough magic that it's easy to run around with a constant Magick Pool, Shield, and Invisibility effect if you want. This is a chapter where a constant shield is a pretty good choice, too, considering his minuscule health bar.

This is also where I figured out exactly how the endgame was likely to play out and was pretty hyped for it.

Do high point enchantment spells even do more damage? I was under the impression that this merely made them last longer.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Do you remember where you read this? There is a drought of hard information on this game, so it would be neat to see a bit more of that.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is that the Ulyaoth voice telling him to do things? A neat touch, if so -- the submissive Ancient helping you destroy the one that is dominant over it.

I'm not sure if that's Ulyaoth or Mantorok. Can anybody confirm this from another run?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Mantorok is more whispery -- you can hear his voice when NineWheels casts Mantorok-aligned spells.

And yeah, I got the distinct impression that Michael was going to go off himself as soon as the cutscene ended.

Originally, he did commit suicide in the game (I think somewhere there's a cutscene where that happens). But now he lives long enough to deliver Gladius and the Artifact to Alex, so presumably he survives until the end of the game.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

He says flat out that he's not going to survive the night, and that there's something he needs to do (besides deliver the package) before they get him. That's not very subtle, in my book.

Right. Like I said, they initially planned to have him not survive, but in the released version of the game, someone delivers the artifact to you in the year 2000, and who else could it possibly be but him?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

NineWheels posted:

What's the character limit on Pokemon names in the newer games, out of curiosity? I seem to remember the character limit in the first two gens was on the short side, a little too short to fit in "Xel'lotath" or "Chattur'gha".

(no I'm not seriously making plans for the next time I play a Pokemon game what on earth are you talking about go away)

All of them fit, except you have to leave out the apostrophe in Chattur'gha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

NineWheels posted:

Y'know, that's the sequel we need. Not Shadow of the Eternals, but a business sim about Alex renting out that space (all to supernatural beings of some sort) in order to become rich as possible.

Wait, like some sort of tycoon sim game, but with lovecraftian elements? This sounds like one of the best things.

• Locked thread