Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

what kind of loving baddie do you have to be to run out of time on 1-1... lmao.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Contrived videogame deaths do make me feel icky

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

mabels big day posted:

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

how the gently caress do you beat bowser the normal way in smb3?

like how do you not get all the way to the end without either a hammerbros suit or fire flower and kill him that way?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

LaTex Fetish posted:

how the gently caress do you beat bowser the normal way in smb3?

like how do you not get all the way to the end without either a hammerbros suit or fire flower and kill him that way?

it's thematically more appropriate that bowser is defeated by his own nature than for you to aggressively attack him directly. from the very first smb on, bowser has always been his own undoing and people who use fireballs or hammers on him are not experiencing the true vision of the video game super mario bros.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

putting a tetris block in the wrong place makes me wonder what its all for, in the end

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

it's thematically more appropriate that bowser is defeated by his own nature than for you to aggressively attack him directly.

wow deep. really makes you think

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglOsfErtaE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Truly the worst feeling is looking at how contrived and fake these gifs are. Except maybe the last one.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

it's thematically more appropriate that bowser is defeated by his own nature than for you to aggressively attack him directly. from the very first smb on, bowser has always been his own undoing and people who use fireballs or hammers on him are not experiencing the true vision of the video game super mario bros.

A tale of wrath, hubris, and everything else that I've learned from Nintendo

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

that kid gained a life that day

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

*nods sagely*

Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the first gif just reveals the true nature of our hubris. not content with the life we have, we constantly struggle for a new and more 'enticing' appearing life which is often our very own downfall

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
watching those gifs is like pouring a bowl of cereal, opening the fridge, and realizing there's no milk

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

I remember playing that game on Sega Game Gear and not being able to beat that level or maybe the one right after it it was impossible to do in a moving car with 15 minutes of battery life in my 12 AA batteries extended battery pack.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mabels big day posted:

It happens if your awesome.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Truly the worst feeling is looking at how contrived and fake these gifs are. Except maybe the last one.

A tale of wrath, hubris, and everything else that I've learned from Nintendo

The first one I've probably done when I first played it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Wormskull posted:

The first one I've probably done when I first played it.

You gotta be particularly unlucky because after the first time that you pick it up, he starts chucking those spikey assholes at you and most quickly learn to try to leave him alone. Unless you're pro. But then you'd probably know better than to pull off that scrub move

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if you use a game genie in any way during the bowser fight in smb3, the game will freeze about a half second after the door appears

there's a section in the game genie handbook that's like BOWSER HAS A EVIL TIME TRAP SET UP, AND YOU MUST HOLD UP AT THE DOOR THE INSTANT HE DISAPPEARS

in tmnt nes if you use infinite life on a game genie, if you fall in lava, you just sit there stunned forever

if shredder hits you with his thing that turns you back into a turtle you shrink into a weird turtle fetus thing and then sit there unmoving forever b/c it's a scripted kill and it doesn't happen right

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Goat posted:

if you use a game genie in any way during the bowser fight in smb3, the game will freeze about a half second after the door appears

there's a section in the game genie handbook that's like BOWSER HAS A EVIL TIME TRAP SET UP, AND YOU MUST HOLD UP AT THE DOOR THE INSTANT HE DISAPPEARS

in tmnt nes if you use infinite life on a game genie, if you fall in lava, you just sit there stunned forever

if shredder hits you with his thing that turns you back into a turtle you shrink into a weird turtle fetus thing and then sit there unmoving forever b/c it's a scripted kill and it doesn't happen right

Never trust genies, they'll try to go all Wishmaster on your rear end and find a loophole in your wishes.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

not if you use KKKZSPIU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
hey how about some non-staged gifs from a different but also good platformer

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Not my pic, but when you see how many hours of your life you have wasted on your favorite Steam game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it's worse to see a large number of hours on skyrim and realize you've spent that whole time loving with mods

i got so close to 255 mods on an install

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Doctor Goat posted:

it's worse to see a large number of hours on skyrim and realize you've spent that whole time loving with mods

i got so close to 255 mods on an install

The console version must be a huge drag

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
oblivion is entertaining on console because it's a broken pile of poo poo (not a surprise) but it has more unpatched bugs and it's funny to see the system try to deal with 'em

you can probably rrod a 360/yellow ring a ps3 in fifteen minutes with stock oblivion

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Heran Bago posted:

Not my pic, but when you see how many hours of your life you have wasted on your favorite Steam game.

i didn't realize there was an unregistered version of "print screen key"

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Heran Bago posted:

god forbid we know your steam display name

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
3632 hours in dota 2

2 friends online

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The only game I have 4 digit hours in is TF2 where most all of that time is idling in text mode to sell items back when that was a thing you could do.

3632 hours in dota 2 though, that's the worst feeling.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Doctor Goat posted:

3632 hours in dota 2

2 friends online

lol

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have 55 hours in G Mod. All of that is in theater mode watching youtube videos and twitch streams with friends.

That's the worst feeling.

Dec 26, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

3632 hours in dota 2 though

what in the world

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

01011001 posted:

what in the world

Dr. Senpai "He Who Rides The Wind To Slay Trolls" Carwash has played about 10 thousand hours of the game, IIRC.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

The Protagonist posted:

hey how about some non-staged gifs from a different but also good platformer

I dont know what htis game is but it looks like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider