Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I am a moron who agreed to take over a small managed service team that provides basic monitoring and reactive support for sharepoint.

Now has come the time where i make my life as simple as possible, but i require a decent monitoring agent so i can sit back and let monkeys do the rest.

Can any goons recommend me something that;
- will monitor event logs for windows server (virtualised)
-will monitor drive sizes
- can monitor SQL
- preferably agentless
- works over vpn/anyconnect/whatever backwards connector the client uses

errr most helpful gets an av or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
I'm thinking PRTG might be appropriate here. It's orders of magnitude less complicated than SCOM, and cheaper than Up.time. Its management console is reasonably quick for being web-based and should be trivial to access over VPN. It supports agentless monitoring.

The built-in sensors for drive sizes are good. You'd have to try out the SQL sensors for yourself to see if they're good enough. Event Log monitoring is basic -- you can filter by Event ID, Type, Source, Category, User and Computer. But the only logs to choose to monitor are Application, System, Security, Directory Service, DNS Server and File Replication Service.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm currently building out LogicMonitor and I'm super impressed, it beats the poo poo out of SCOM for ease of use. Initial setup with the list of our critical servers plus the back end VMware hosts and SQL clusters took about an hour.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I really like to look of both of those, Logic Monitor moreso.

Due to the nature of our client mix (government/corporate/defence) we cant meet some of the pre-reqs. So i am off building a agent that uses some xml fuckery to transform data.

Fun times thanks for the help

• Locked thread