Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Zookeepers Volume 1, Issue 1: "What's Got Your Goat?!

15:00 - En Route to El Paso, Texas

The call came in earlier in the morning, but things at the Zoo, like most lettered agencies, move at the speed of bureaucracy. That, and The Muninn is still being shipped back from Jordan, piece by scorched piece, so the team had to get The Huginn up and running on short notice. To be honest, she wasn't in much better shape than her twin. The tilt-rotors came into the possession of the Zoo after the TR-13 Raven hit a bump about ten years back--around the same time Director Cumberland was in the market for a new transport. Unable to pass up something that cool for that price (ship it and you got it) he jumped at the chance to own the prototypes.

As you sit in Huginn's crew transport bay, the thunderous rotors shaking the filings out of your teeth (Or in the case of certain individuals, rattling your bolts), you know all-too-well why this particular model was on deep discount. It's fast, sure, but it keeping both in the air at once could cause a fuel crisis and maintenance costs a mint.

The thrum of the engines mercifully dims as Sub-Director Rousseau stands to address you all. She holds onto one of the straps hanging from the railing above, but doesn't seem to need the help, unmoving as the tiltrotor rattles on. "We're beginning our descent on El Paso. The crime scene is in the El Paso Mall Food Court, specifically the local ChupaBarbara's franchise." She sighs a very French sigh that says, in a wordless breath, Americans. "Normally this would be the jurisdiction of the FDA. However, their whipping boy is currently on holiday in Beet Country. The USDA wouldn't take it either, as both their special agents, Mold & Scullery, are still on...let us say, extended honeymoon. So as usual, the proverbial steaming buck has been passed directly into our laps and as always it must stop here, because where else does it have to go?"

You all feel the Huginn shake and rattle like it's going to fall to pieces as it readies to land. Of course, you've been in these birds plenty of times, and they've never crashed on you once. On any of you, anyway. I mean, you weren't on the Jordan mission. God have mercy on what's left of those poor bastards.

Fun Facts to Live or Die By! posted:

Fun Fact: There are 15 161 species of scorpion native to to the Kingdom of Jordan, and one can fly. And shoot fire.

"One thing before you meet the civilians--the owner is one Barbara LePonte, spouse of US Senator Hubert LePonte. If this wasn't the case, even on our lowly rung of the ladder, we could pass on this job. However, those of you who follow American politics might have heard that name. Those that haven't--just step lightly. We are extranational but we are still primarily located on US land and the US government is one of our primary funders. So don't gently caress this up, understand? I'll remain in the Huginn and provide support if you need it. Barbara LaPonte is in the Food Court."

The El Paso Cielo Vista Mall...looks like a mall. Have you visited a mall before? You--you haven't? Oh God. Oh Jesus Christ, you poor unfortunate--Okay, I've got a picture somewhere...

The normally lively plazas are subdued thanks to the standard MIB-style Feds that have now sprouted from the topiary. Never can be too safe, that fern is looking underwatered and pissed off.

You arrive at the Cielo Vista Food Court to find it cordoned off. The Hotdog-on-a-Stick stands sadly empty and Hootie stares at you mournfully from across the way, wishing you could be eating wings right now and oggling waitresses. "Oh!" A woman shuffles towards you from the other side of the cordon. "You must be the folks Hubert sent for. Oh, it's been awful!" It looks like it has; she appears to have been crying. "Oh, I'm Barbara, Barbara LaPonte. It happened at my restaurant, you know. ChupaBarbara's--It's Goat-Sucking Good!" She laughs and then begins sobbing. Barbara is in her late fifties but fit, dressed in what must be the ChupaBarbara's uniform, a simple black blouse and pants with a red apron and hat bearing the logo of a little imp proclaiming the slogan.

"I don't know how it could have happened! I lock up every night, I take the money when I leave--everybody knows that. I'm the only one with the key I just don't--Why would they do it? What sort of twisted monster would steal ChupaBob?"

Welcome to Zookeepers. Post soon, please. Please? Come on guys--OH GOD I'M SO ALOOOOOOONE.

Link to the recruit

Next post is reserved for whatever I feel like because whatever and junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Posting format...Do the normal thing.

This is your character's name in bold - This is where they are if you feel it necessary, may be in bold if you want, don't care, just keep it in the same line.

What you do, think, and/or say in plain text or whatever.

A summary of stuff I need to know in italics. Like if you're moving to another area, using a skill or something that demands a response from me or another player. If you were sitting at a table, this would be the plain-English version of the stuff above.

Rolling: We're adults here, right? If you want to roll, do it. I don't need to watch you roll. If you're going to "cheat" at a game like this, you've got worse problems than me, and I was fleeing the light for several hours today.

So here's what you do--If you know you have to roll for something, do it, post the results (if you feel like using a roller that gives links, do that). If you're uncertain if something requires a roll, ask. I am generally in IRC. That is why I heavily hinted being in IRC would help you get in--I like to be able to get ahold of people and I like people to be able to get ahold of me.

Now, get going and GET THAT GOAT!

Mr. Fowl fucked around with this message at Aug 26, 2014 around 05:17

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Doc Croc

They had actually let him out.

Doc was pretty smart and quick on his feet mentally speaking, but this particular revelation had left him spinning his mental wheels. Admittedly it was with several keepers, one of which was a robot (how were they going to explain this away any more than a bipedal man-sized crocodile?) and another was technically dead depending on whose definition you went by. The group was one of convenience and opportunity, those that were on hand and most able to be sent into the midst of the unknowing public and given a job to do.

The exact implications beyond this eluded Doc Croc and frankly he did not really care much to worry about them even if they had not. He had his opportunity to see the world outside of the range of the Zoo, even if it was with a tight leash.

So far the trip had not been entirely pleasant however. The copter had managed to strike a resonant harmonic with one of his teeth and it was only with a supreme act of self-discipline that he had not ripped out the offending tooth to save himself a headache. He was as a result tired and grumpy going into his first civilian contact mission. Doctor Arjistani understand on a logical and rational level that this meant he was more likely to break one of the rules of the Zookeepers and thus be Disciplined. He kept running the rules through his read periodically as a mantra to save disaster and punishment later.

With the assumption that Andre Munson would begin talking with the civilians he turned to his most hated and distasteful companion. Huey Delhomme. His voice was quiet to avoid attracting attention to its gutteral slightly sibilant nature.

"You. The one who cooks. You know about these places. Why is she upset about the goat? Why does she not purchase a new one?"

Fortunately for both sides of the argument visceral hatred was harder to discern in a non-human voice so Huey might miss the desire to bisect his body that was present in the reptilian's mind.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

Spacebot spent the trip laying down on the ground. It was inevitable that, if standing up, the sheer power of the shaking and rattling and rolling would ensure falling over would occur. So it was easier in the long run in Spacebot just lay down to start with. Everybody just stepped over the robot on the way in and the way out, so really it was just like a normal work day. Spacebot had little to say to Sub-Director Rousseau, opting instead to just listen. This was the mission, and no matter the politics behind it they had to carry it out.

Trundling along behind the others, Spacebot is on the look out for anything amiss. The first step in crime solving was to pick out anything that should not be there, because it would probably be a clue. But besides the MIBs and the entire mall itself, nothing seemed terribly peculiar. Not even the Zookeepers. Perhaps that in of itself is a clue worth chasing up!!

Spacebot was, at heart (assuming Spacebot had a heart), a people person. So naturally, as Doctor Arjistani was distracted by trying to eat Executive Chef Delhomme's ear and nobody else stepped up to the task, Spacebot took the lead. "I'm sorry for your loss, Sir." Spacebot tells Barbara. "I know that not being able to eat food is quite distressing." Spacebot puts a reassuring hand-clamp on the man's shoulder. "But don't worry, we'll find your dog. We are experts. Which is why we were called in to help." Credentials displayed and the subject put at ease, Spacebot gets down to brass tacks.

"When did you last see ChupaBob?"

quote:

Concept: Tunguska Space Robot
Invoke: Handy space facts! Flying through space!
Compel: Bad at pop trivia nights! Walking through doorways!

Spacebot isn't from Tunguska. Spacebot isn't even from this planet! Spacebot isn't even Spacebot's name. But despite the setback of being embedded in an impact crater for forty years or so, Spacebot has made Earth home. Mostly because all methods of reaching escape velocity and astronavigation have been irrevocably damaged, but Earth inhabitants being so darn friendly makes up at least 20% of the reason too. Just a shame elephants don't have more of a say in things, because if buildings were built for elephants…

Robot: Machine from Beyond the Moon
Invoke: High speed computation! Surviving in places mortals cannot! Talking to toasters!
Compel: Big and cumbersome! Sticks out like a sore thumb! Talking to people!

At the time of arrival in 1908, Spacebot was the single most advanced piece of technology on the planet. Unfortunately by the time Tunguska was actually excavated, the rest of the planet had had some time to catch up. That's not to say Spacebot wasn't useful! If there is one single reason the Soviet space program won the space race, it's because of all the help they got from Spacebot. A sentient supercomputer in the 50's? NASA couldn't match that.

Obsolete: 20th Century Wonder
Invoke: Eager to learn! Invaluable technological contributions!
Compel: Antique styling! Keeping up with trends! Guinea pig!

After some time, Moore's Law caught up with Spacebot. Things started to advance past where Spacebot had advanced space knowledge, and so people started to leave Spacebot behind. Everything Spacebot had to offer the scientific and technological community had been studied and exploited by the Soviets, so by the time Spacebot defected to America there wasn't much else to reveal. Spacebot continued to be a valued research assistant, and had insights into problems mere mortals did not. But at some point, Spacebot started getting compared to an iPhone. And Spacebot did not measure up.

Science: Cutting Edge 60’s Technology
Invoke: Space mysteries! Old technology! Moss!
Compel: Earth Mysteries! New Technology! Spurned by moss!

Though it is a fact hidden from many textbooks, computer technology as we know it today is all derived from a single point. Spacebot. A lot of space technology too, when you want to get down to it. And a surprising number of research papers on moss. Interactions with moss. The evolution of moss. How the society of moss developed. All culminating in 'A History of the Earthan-Speaking Mosses', a four volume history on moss. Spacebot had to do something during those dark, cold forty years stuck in the ground.

Omega: Bounced Around
Invoke: Esoteric information. Expert on old technology.
Compel: Being on a blacklist. Feeling left out.

Over the decades, Spacebot has been a guest of many top agencies around the world. The OKB-1 design bureau. The KGB. The USSR Academy of Sciences. UCLA. NASA. Area 51. And now AZACS. Very few people, let alone Spacebots, have had the honour of working with so many esteemed organisations. And very few people, let alone Spacebots, have also been ‘moved on’ from so many esteemed organisations.

Good Mode: Robot (Athletics, Ballistics, Notice, Physique)
Fair Mode: Obsolete (Athletics, Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Rapport, Will)
Average Mode: Science (All Science, Notice, Will)

Skills:
+5: Notice
+4: Athletics, Contacts, Physique
+3: Ballistics, Rapport, Will
+2: All Science, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke
+1: -

Stunts:
Eye Beams: +1 to attack with Ballistics, Weapon 1
Doesn’t Shut Up: +2 to create advantage with Deceive when distracting
Load Lifter: Absolutely stronger than a normal human, but weak to hurtful words.
Iron Man: Armour 2.
Etiquette and Protocol: Any time you encounter a spoken language, you can speak and understand it. If you spend a fate point, you can do so perfectly. Otherwise, the GM reserves the right to introduce some idiomatic expressions that don’t perfectly translate.

Physical: OOOO
Mental: OOO

Robot= 6 points
Obsolete= 13 points
Science= 3 points
Contacts= 3 points
All Science= 1 point
Rapport= 1 point

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

Aoi is all but bouncing all the way down the plane. She has never BEEN to El Paso! What kind of wondrous creatures can live THERE? So far she has lucked out and found at least ONE interesting thing to see in every venture she has been to!

Except for that trip to Oregon. She should have guessed the city's name being 'Boring' was actually a warning. Oh well!

But right now, they are here to HELP! Aoi rises her hand towards the owner lady. "Yeeeeees! I'm sure we can find ChupaBobby for you! Do you have a picture? That would help a lot!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Andre Munson

Andre is smiling as if nothing is strange. Sure, there's Spacebot and the Doc right there, but if he just pretends it's all normal, so will everyone else. It works wonders for government types. "That's right. We will recover poor Bob. I'm Agent Munson, ma'am, pleasure to meet you. You can call me Andre." He's right there alongside Aoi and Spacebot. "These are my partners, Agent Bot and Agent Hoshino. Our team over there is handling the forensic side of things."

He is quite enjoying this trip, even if it's kind of crap work. El Paso is nice and a day out will be good for everyone. Even if it is chasing a goat. "Agent Bot means your goat, though. English is, ah, not the agent's first language." He grins. "Don't worry, though! I've never known a more dedicated and meticulous agent."

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Huey Delhomme

Huey had not been particularly excited about a goat mascot rescue mission, given the urban environment and his distaste for chains. Nonetheless he had quite a cheerful air about him. It was nice to be out of the Zoo for once, and with such good company, too. Not to mention there was just maybe a chance he could try out some of the fancy hunting tools he had been given.

The ride had been somewhat uneventful for him, so he had tried to pass the time telling stories about his hunting trips, life in Baton Rouge, and family antics. He was good enough that telling them that even the dullest ones seemed a little bit interesting.

Oh and look at that, it was old Doc Croc! Lookin real tasty curious. Huey gives a bright, oblivious, smile to Dr. Arjistani.

"Well, that there's a mascot goat. They probably got it trained to be real entertainin' to the customers. Plus just look at this poor woman, she must love the thing! We wouldn't want her to lose someone who's almost fam'ly to her."

He lowers to a whisper. "Plus he's probably the only reason this place is worth comin' to."

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Barbara looks confused for a moment, then realizes, "Oh, you don't know! ChupaBob is my goat. He's the best goat there is, don't you know! He's also the ChupaBarbara's mascot. Here--" She grabs a cardboard standee. It reads 'Come and see--The one and only ChupaBob!' The standee itself is a clueless-looking goat that appears to have been painted the company colors. "ChupaBob's won all sorts of awards--he's my studgoat, you know. The pride of the family goat ranch! And...AND NOW HE'S GOOOOOOONE!" She weeps big, wet tears once more.

Just a note, those of you with a more outrageous appearance are likely disguised.

Think Ninja Turtles

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Dr. Elena Starkweather

Despite the semi-traumatic experience of flying in the Huginn, Elena's in a good mood. She gets to leave the compound to look for a goat! Granted, it's part of a weird political favor to some senator guy but who cares? This is practically a vacation!

Almost immediately the smell of mall food and patrons overwhelms her senses. It's greasy and disgusting and that would be cannibalism and that would be wrong not from the commissary which is really the most important thing. Maybe once they found this goat they could get a discount at ChupBarbara's...

Oh except she's crying. Oh dear. Elena puts her professional face on. Don't open your mouth too wide, don't show teeth, don't salivate at how delicious that person goat probably is. “Ah, forensics, that's right! We're all quite sorry for your loss ma'am. If you could show me and my colleagues to the scene of the crime, I'm sure we can find your goat.” Or what's left of it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Doc Croc

"Are not such places supposed to be clean and hygienic? Do you not have laws and regulations about this? A goat is not hygienic. Or sterile." The crocodile said with a little confusion.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

"... Aw, he's cute!"

Sure, ChupaBob is not an awesome monster, but they don't all have to be! She snaps a quick picture of the goat standee with her phone.

"And... yes! Knowing where ChupaBobby was before he was taken would help!"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Huey Delhomme

"Who knows what they do ta keep theyselves afloat. Might be a real well trained goat." Huey tells Doc Croc.

Huey was not all too familiar with goats. However he was aware of their penchant of eating anything. He decides to ask Mrs. LaPonte something.

"Anything else go missing from your establishment?"

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Barbara stifles her sobs and leads you all into the kitchen of ChupaBarbara's. "See, we were going to open the new location here soon. So we brought Bobby in for the Grand Opening so the kids could pet him, take pictures with him..." She sniffles as she passes the fallen GRAND OPENING banner. "He just had to wait in his crate for the night. But then this happened!" She swings the kitchen door open, revealing the horror show.

The kitchen is in utter disarray, as if a storm blew through. Either that, or a major league baseball team determined to make sure Barbara would never open. The place is trashed. All the equipment is broken, smashed, or beaten. A cage is visible in the corner, its door yawning wide open. And on the wall is written (hopefully in Barbara's goatsucking-good Chupa Sauce):

"So you tell me what's missing. Because I haven't touched it--I've watched those crime shows, the NYCSIs and such. Even if I hadn't...I wouldn't know where to start looking."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

Ah! The crime scene. This will shed some light on this horrible crime. It has been said that if one manages to examine the crime scene within 48 hours, then they will almost always find the culprit behind it. And as far as Spacebot knew, they were well within 48 hours of this dog goat dissapearance being reported. This baddy was as good as caught!

The kitchen was a bomb site. A small bomb though, one that didn't leave scorch marks. But enough to totally mess the room up something mean. "Presuming this isn't an inside job…" Spacebot gives Barbara a suspicious sideways glance. "…then we should look for signs of forced entry into the kitchen. And into the GoatBox." Spacebot's advanced optics mean that without even moving, minute details are mere playthings in the toybox of investigative tools open to the crack Zookeeper.

"This message is a clue." Spacebot deduces, trundling in closer to give it a good read. Whether it was blood or sauce, it was nearly impossible to tell. Most sauces actually were blood, for starters, so any difference was purely academic. "Hmmm. Yes. Just as I suspected." Spacebot turns around, tilting the stetson that disguised Spacebot's more obvious robot-y features. "Auric Goldfinger is your kidnapper."

Let us do a notice on the message and the doors!
Robodog: !r 4df+5
[10:45am] Krysmbot: Robodog, +/-/+5 = 5

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Doc Croc

Well whatever that substance was, he could probably figure it out and apply Science! So Doc Croc walked over, got out a little scraper and scraped off a sample of whatever it was written in.

Then he gave it a good sniff to see what it smelled like.

You had to taste things and give them a sniff to cook up some science after all.

9:51 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 0 = 4dF(-,+,-,-)+2
Welp.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

Aoi lets the others handle the CRIME SCENE. Meanwhile, she just stares at the message and... thinks.

"Golden Calf. Golden... Calf... Oh! Golden Flee-- no, wait, that would be a sheep. Umm..."

As she muses what the mysterious message could be, she approaches the GoatBox, kneeling besides it and studying it. Did the criminal leave something behind...?

---

4DF+4=1
Welp indeed.

edit: should have probably added it was a Notice roll

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2014 around 19:53

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Dr. Elena Starkweather

Elena had watched police procedurals too, and they started by questioning the suspects. Of course it would later turn out the suspect had lied about some crucial detail, usually around the halfway point of the show. But in order to have the plot twist, you had to set it up first.

“This clearly was a targeted break in ma'am. Do you, or perhaps your husband, have any enemies or rivals who would do something like this?”

Elena gave the chaos another once-over. “We'd like to see last night's security footage, as well.”

rapport roll: 4dF+1 -1
It's a day for welps, it seems.

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Plot Coagulates!

Upon closer inspection of the message, utilizing all of Spacebot's advanced and mysterious sensors, he/she/it manages to ascertain...that it was written in blood. Ew. Goat blood, to be specific, with some sort of contaminant that you can't readily identify without the aid of a lab.

Doc confirms Spacebot's readings--definitely goat, and not fresh. The goat was likely bled long before its fluids were used to paint this unusual message.

Elena, Barbara remains despondent, "Oh, I don't know who could possibly have wanted to hurt poor Bobby. My husband is the one with the enemies, not lil ol me." Just then, a thought occurs to her. "Wait, what about Kale? That boy is a 12 pc of trouble in a 9 pc bucket! I fired him a while back for mishandling stock. He was doing stuff with the goats that I didn't want ChupaBarbara's to be associated with."

Aoi, under the battered remains of a fallen prep station, you spy a leather collar.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

Aoi humms, even as she tugs out the leather collar out with a gloved hand. "I found something! Is this Bobby's?" She holds it up to show it to the despondent lady.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

It was the sound of Spacebot's vast array of scanners and sensors buzzing and whirring away. This mystery paint was going to get analysed down to the its very atoms. Nothing about it was going to elude Spacebot. This whole kidnapping mystery was going to be uncovered right this very instant, and it was all going to be thanks to advanced space technology.

"I don't know what's in this." Spacebot shrugs. "I mean, it's goat blood. That is as clear as a window. But there is some sort of… thing in it I can't tell what is." A mystery that eluded even Spacebot was surely something mysterious indeed! "This is a goat blood smoothie, a tincture of goat blood mixed in a dirty bathtub. Some taint that even my sensors can't detect." Spacebot goes to tear off a hunk of wall. "We should analyse this. For science."

"But this blood was probably not from your daughter, sir!" Spaebot is proud to report to Barbara. "Draining this much blood would have covered the room. The mess would have been terrrrrrrrible!" And if anybody knew about messes, it was Spacebot! "It was probably blood from another goat, prepared at a third location. So!" Spacebot turns dramatically. "Who else has access to goat blood!?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Andre

"Do you think any of your husband's enemies might try to act against him through you, ma'am? We'll need a full name and address of this Kale fellow, and any other workers who'd have access at the time of disappearance."

Andre grins.

"Don't worry, ma'am, we're professionals. Huey, you know about any farms in the area that might raise goats?"

The trick is to keep everything going nicely, make it all seem normal and keep Barbara from realizing what, exactly, is going on with the others.

Rapport: 3.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

"…that wasn't rhetorical. Can you just buy a bucket of goat blood from Pottery Barn or somewhere?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Doc Croc

"You have to be able to buy some sort of blood. Humans have lots of recipes with blood, like blood pudding, and blood sausage..." Doc Croc says and pauses for a moment. "Blood sausage sounds really good actually." He lolled his tongue slightly hungrily. He hadn't eaten for a day or two and was starting to get hungry.

"But maybe the culprit just bled extra goats for more blood. We should see if there are any mass disappearances or murders of goats in the area."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

Spacebot takes a surreptitious step in-between Doctor Arjistani and Friend Aoi!!!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

Aoi just smiles at the big ol' robot. She's entirely clueless.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Dr. Elena Starkweather

“Are you sure you have no enemies besides Kale? 'Golden calf' seems like the kind of insult a rival chain would sling at you. What's the competition here look like?” This was starting to seem less and less like a vacation by the minute. Franchise wars were no joke, there were parts of Brazil still on fire from the Burger Baron's latest pushback.

Elena glanced at Dr. Arjistanils tongue. “And ah, do you know where we might be able to eat in the meantime?”

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Huey Delholmme

Huey has spent the past few minutes looking through the kitchen's supplies and assorted cooking appliances to see if anything is out of place, missing, or otherwise disturbed. Part of the reason for this is because he doubts the kitchen is properly stocked in the first place.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

"…perhaps if we left before lunch is taken, we will get on the heels of this hideous goat stealer in no time at all."

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Answers?

Barbara takes one look at the collar and shakes her head. "Oh no, Bobby's collar was much nicer. Real leather with a silver tag. A trashy off-the-rack thing like that wouldn't do for my baby." On closer examination, the tag reads 'Billy the Kid'. The imitation, spiked leather collar appears to have been broken at some point.

Barbara wipes away her tears and nods to Andre. "My husbands' enemies are liberals and commies. No one to really worry about. Except that lady from GOATS, now that I think about it." She grabs a notepad and some papers from behind the register and starts writing. "Her name is Patty St. Croix. I've still got some of the flyers she was handing out last week. I thought they were PETA when they first showed up, but that lady seemed nuttier than the usual variety that would turn up at the ranch." She hands the note to Andre with Kale's information and a GOATS flyer soon after. The front reads 'Glorious Order of Altruistic and Trustworthy Shepherds'. It looks like a cross between your usual ASPCA literature and something you'd find pinned to your door after that Witnesses came through your neighborhood. "I'm not sure who else could have done it, see, I'm kind of what you might call a hands-on boss, so I'm pretty much the only one with the keys since Kale was let go."

Two suspects?! Two leads! The plot thickens!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Andre

"Of course, ma'am." Andre nods. "Thank you, we'll update you when we have more for you." He turns to start herding the crew out of the area. "Come on, folks, we've got to get cracking." People might start asking questions soon.

"We'll grab lunch at the all-you-can-eat grill I spotted on the way in." He's going to have to pay someone to vacate the premises while they do, but that just means it'll be a good base of operations for right now. "We'll need a few teams - one to track the collar and one to run up Ms. Saint Croix." He tucks the flyers away. "And of course we'll want to interview Kale at some point."

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

"We will find your dog, Sir." Spacebot assures Barbara, walking out of the kitchen along with Agent Munson.

"Yes. Hunger for flesh should be sated before we come face to face with small children and GOATS." Spacebot agrees, keeping himself a few trudging trods in front of Friend Aoi. "But what just does a second collar mean???"

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Aoi Hoshino

"Billy... the... kid..." Aoi carefully reads the nametag...

... and promptly begins to imagine a goat dressed as a cowboy.

She shakes as she tries to suppress a sudden burst of giggles form the mental image (It would be inappropriate dang it!), and is very glad when they finally step out of the kitchen.

"I.. I want--" she pauses for a snicker. "...I wanna... find more about Billy..." She's just... trying really hard to not break down into laugher.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Doc Croc

"There is an actual organisation named GOATS? The human race is baffingly insane." Doc commented to no-one in particular as the group walked out of the area. After Spacebot's comment he replied; "The Director made it very clear to me that eating people would result in me being Disciplined. I do not enjoy being Disciplined. I may be an animal, but I am not mindless. I can avoid eating innocent civilians and members of the public."

He paused for a second before he added; "I would also prefer to investigate after the implied goat. Dealing with insane and incoherent human activists seems like an exercise in madness and frustration."

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Dr. Elena Starkweather

ChupaBarbara. GOATS. Billy the Kid. This was getting too surreal. "I'll take the madness and frustration then. I've been called an abomination before, it should be fine. And I should probably on the interview team for Kale, you'd be amazed what interspecies STIs can do to you." Elena glances at Andre. "Or maybe you wouldn't. Anyway. Shall we get started?"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

At the mention of GOATS, Huey got an annoyed look on his face. Extremists animal rights activists? They were bad enough when they were calling him a murderer and trying to close the hunting grounds, but this? Absolutely not.

"I don't like the sound of these GOAT fellas."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Andre

"Hey, I am perfectly clean and healthy. I read the pamphlets, that poo poo can kill you."

Andre grins.

"Or worse. I'll help with interviews, I'm good with people. So, lunch, then we get working?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot

"Yes!"

Mr. Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Alright, looks like we're ready to move on:

How do we want to approach this? Split up and handle the two leads at once? Do something else? Who's going where?

I'll try to have a proper update up soon.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I say split up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Spacebot learnt a lot from Scooby Doo, one of those lessons was always split up and blunder around in dark and abandoned circuses.

• Locked thread
«2 »