Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Which is ironic, since their ships fall apart with, like, no provocation at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Which is ironic, since their ships fall apart with, like, no provocation at all.

Uh, excuse me, I think you mean the gods take them apart?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, there's a missed opportunity for a QTE: Kratos plucking every bird he comes upon in hopes one of them will up his magic.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is that Colonel Campbell as Zeus? The voice sounds really familiar.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The distortion effect made me think of Aldaris from Starcraft.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CzarChasm posted:

Is that Colonel Campbell as Zeus? The voice sounds really familiar.

Bloody Pom posted:

The distortion effect made me think of Aldaris from Starcraft.

You're both right, Paul Eiding is Campbell, Aldaris, and Zeus in this game.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Oh hey, the episode with my audio-essay thing is up! In hindsight I probably shouldn't have recorded when getting over a cold.

Thanks for including my semi-coherent gendered reading of Kratos and the Minotaur myth!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OK, here's a query for you dudes boned up on the classics - when did belief in the Greek panthenon cease? Was it around the same time the Roman Empire adopted Christianity?

Edit: Whoops, not the Partheon. How very odd - I was even thinking about confusing the two afterwards. Must have been the subconscious jumping up and down'.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 2, 2014

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

^Pantheon. The Parthenon is a old building, and it's still mostly there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

OK, here's a query for you dudes boned up on the classics - when did belief in the Greek parthenon cease? Was it around the same time th Roman Empire adopted Christianity?
Pretty much - they got culturally overtaken by Romans and went with whatever happened there.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Samovar posted:

OK, here's a query for you dudes boned up on the classics - when did belief in the Greek panthenon cease? Was it around the same time the Roman Empire adopted Christianity?

I don't remember the exact date off the top of my head, just look it up on Wikipedia or something, but belief in the pantheon was already eroding well before then (Socrates famously got in trouble for asking the wrong questions about the gods, but in my opinion his death was more politically motivated). We don't really have a lot of hard data on what people actually believed with regard to mythology--a lot of the stories were, as pointed out earlier in the thread, effectively fanfiction written by people who didn't necessarily think of them as fact. My guess is that the average person of any era was at least thinking "there's god(s) that need appeasing; just point me to the right temple(s) and I'll make my sacrifice(s)", but if you asked them they would only be able to tell you the broad strokes about any particular god(s). Worship of the Greco-Roman gods stuck around because they helped contribute to societal stability: the stories taught morals that upheld ideal behavior (though of course quite a lot of philosophers grew dissatisfied with rear end in a top hat behavior and explored other religions once they came in contact with them), the regularity of rites appealed to the human need to belong to something bigger than themselves, and it helped people deal with the unpredictability of life.

And the statues were nice.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
To my understanding christianity spread over the pagan religions because it was a bit nicer than what the pagan religions had to offer. When a mother gets his turn to sacrifice her first born to the gods it becomes very tempting to change religions.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 2, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
There were plenty of pagan/Hellenistic mystery cults that promised pleasant afterlives, and sacrifices were very rarely a burden on a household, because you happily ate it afterward. (The sacrifices certainly weren't human either, as you might have guessed by the eating part.) Pagan worship was probably less onerous than early Christianity, for that matter. Many more festivals, and much more communal and civic, compared to the more personal aspect of Christianity.

My area is very much not Christianity so this is a fairly uninformed approach, but I've never seen or been convinced of anything inherent to Christianity that allowed its rise, save that it commanded it be spread, that it be preached. It was an active, proselytising religion, surrounded by faiths that were instead handed down by tradition: faiths that had cheerfully met each other, shared a few gods, and continued on; faiths that barely understood external opponents at all. It was a problem they had very little context for.

Then, eventually, Christianity managed to get its hooks in some senior officials like Constantine, was lucky enough to be on the winning side on a couple of occasions, proved useful politically, and organised paganism was doomed pretty shortly after. (Unofficial paganism, particularly of the rural sort that stuck Jesus' name on old traditions and did very little else, continued for many many centuries into the future). Julian did his best to open things back up but didn't really stand a chance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
There's also the fact that Constantine basically co-opted his own pagan faith into early Christianity. This is the reason why Catholocism seems more interested (or at least focuses more heavily on) the new testament and Christ the Son of God rather than the old testament and the God of Abraham. It's also the reason why Christ, the Angels, and the Saints are always depicted with halos of loght: his pagan faith worshipped the Sun as God.

(And said god was a man who died and reincarnated as the Sun God. Sound familiar?)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

There were plenty of pagan/Hellenistic mystery cults that promised pleasant afterlives, and sacrifices were very rarely a burden on a household, because you happily ate it afterward. (The sacrifices certainly weren't human either, as you might have guessed by the eating part.) Pagan worship was probably less onerous than early Christianity, for that matter. Many more festivals, and much more communal and civic, compared to the more personal aspect of Christianity.

In fact, there's a story about the nature of Grecian sacrifices. When the nature of sacrifices was to be determined, Prometheus, a titan who is eternally in humanity's corner, slaughtered an ox and from it prepared two settings: the first held all the meat and organs but was hidden under the ox's large, disgusting stomach, and the second was a pile of bones and gristle underneath a layer of fat. Zeus chose the latter, and so the inedible parts of a sacrifice are all that is burned for the sake of the gods; the rest of a sacrificial animal is eaten by those attending the event.

Incidentally, this trick is what caused Zeus to snatch up all the fire from Earth in a fit of pique. Prometheus responded by stealing the Olympians' fire and giving it to the humans, and Zeus responded to that by chaining him to a rock so a vulture could chew on his liver forever (although Heracles would later show up to rescue Prometheus because Heracles guest-stars in everybody's legends).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

RickVoid posted:

There's also the fact that Constantine basically co-opted his own pagan faith into early Christianity. This is the reason why Catholocism seems more interested (or at least focuses more heavily on) the new testament and Christ the Son of God rather than the old testament and the God of Abraham. It's also the reason why Christ, the Angels, and the Saints are always depicted with halos of loght: his pagan faith worshipped the Sun as God.

(And said god was a man who died and reincarnated as the Sun God. Sound familiar?)

It's partly this, and partly that a religion with an active and effective missionary tradition will pull this kind of stuff everywhere it goes. "Oh, you have a hero? Yeah! Uh, our God is totally okay with an awesome guy like that. Yeah, he's been a Saint all along. You can keep worshipping him, just add these bits." and other means of finding points of cultural contact are basically how effective missionaries do. Also, a lot of the New Testament vs. Old Testament stuff was actually from the Apostle Paul, who is probably one of the most successful missionaries of all time, spreading the faith through 'god-fearers', people who accepted the basic principles of Judaism or were exposed to it by their neighbors among the Helenistic Jews but couldn't join because it was partly a matter of the Chosen People. If you really want to spread your religion, either find people who already half understand what you're talking about or figure out ways to make what you're talking about fit what people already understand.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

The impression that I've always gotten is that belief in the Greek pantheon was rather weak, and had more to do with enforcing social standards and avoiding bad luck. Plus it was effective - if an augury goes your way you get a morale boost, and if it is an ill omen or you don't do it then morale would be really harmed. With the evangelical religions, so long as you have faith then God's on your side. And if you die horribly or lose all your money anyway, you won't necessarily be seen as a bad person who angered the gods, since you could still have gone to heaven.

I think the books helped too. Instead of a fractious array of religions with different features over time and space, you had a whole bunch of people from all over the place who believed the same thing. That made it much easier to spread and minimize integration into pre-existing religions. Still, it was by no means consistent - Islam destroyed the Arabic animist religions but was modified by Arabic social standards, particularly treatment of women.

And yeah, Socrates was definitely a hit job. He insulted powerful people, they gave him an opportunity to apologize and prove he's not a danger to the social order, he blathered on instead, and so they killed him. It was more complex than that, but that's the general gist as I understand it.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I always understood that Christianity succeeded because there is a duty to proselytize built into the religion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BgRdMchne posted:

I always understood that Christianity succeeded because there is a duty to proselytize built into the religion.

That is also a major part of it, yes.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Night10194 posted:

That is also a major part of it, yes.

Why isn't Islam stronger?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

Why isn't Islam stronger?

Because the European empires went global first and both Islam and Christianity are proselytizing. Nor would I consider second place with 1/5th of the global human population to be a very weak position.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

How far did the Mughals get into India and why was the East so resistant to conversion and exploitation before the Europeans arrived?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BgRdMchne posted:

How far did the Mughals get into India and why was the East so resistant to conversion and exploitation before the Europeans arrived?

The Mughals controlled basically the entire subcontinent at their height, and they maintained their empire partly by not forcing conversion at sword-point. Hinduism persisted because it was ingrained in the caste system and the caste system was ingrained in Indian culture. Meanwhile, China and Japan's religions have persisted because both nations had strong national identities at the time of Europe's colonization period and neither were completely conquered by proselytizing foreigners. If things are changing now, it's only because religion is becoming a less important aspect of culture.

As for exploitation, I'd say there was plenty of that going on both before and after the Europeans showed up.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

BgRdMchne posted:

Part of it.

The scene was basically set for the rise of Christianity around the 2nd and 3rd Century. Before, it was mostly a religion of the poor and it spread at such, converting mostly slaves and lower social classes with the promises of Paradise after death and other such things. The great weakening of the traditional cults, the rise of new pagan cults like Mithra (who was far more elitist and militarist) and the constant troubles of the 3rd Century led to people looking for new faiths to believe in. Christianity was there, spread throughout the Empire's cities, organized and promising salvation and redemption to all.

Also, the communal feeling of Christianity was far closer and familial than the Pagan cults. After all, on one hand you had distant, fairly uncaring gods with giant egos and tempers to match; on the other, you had God, loving and forgiving, taking a personal interest in Humanity's plights through his Saints and his Son. Bad things might happen to you, but you could be assured that God wasn't doing it simply to laugh at you and that your reward was waiting.

Furthermore, if records are to be believed, there were miracles like mad around that time. I mean, seriously, we have hundreds upon hundreds of reports of various miracles happening to both Christians and Pagans. Unlike the Pagan cults, the Christians had a fairly good case to present for God's presence and interest in helping Humanity.

Lastly, the major impetus of Constantine's legalization of the religion and eventual conversion. Mind, it was partly politically motivated, but by the end Constantine was a true believer.

The thing that decided it politically for Constantine was that Christianity preached pacifism and social order. If there were trouble, he could expect the bishops to be on his side in calming down the public, unlike the far less controllable pagan cults. Before, the Church was secretive and persecutions, especially that of Diocletian in 303, drove the cult into clandestinity. After 313, Christians began to repay Pagan cults for the earlier persecutions and retaking lost properties, and Constantine did support them legally in such endeavours.

Mind you, he did come to regret it slightly with the constant battles between sects of Christianity, especially the Donatist heresy. Hence why he called for the Nicean Council, which he presided as moderator in his role of Pontifex Maximus.

Even then, the Nicean Creed wasn't fully accepted as the primary form of Christianity until well after Constantine's death. The Arians held much sway in the Empire until 330 and continued to hold influence in the Imperial Court afterwards.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 4, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Oh hey, the episode with my audio-essay thing is up! In hindsight I probably shouldn't have recorded when getting over a cold.

Thanks for including my semi-coherent gendered reading of Kratos and the Minotaur myth!

If you consider El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron to be Japan's tripped-out response by way of Abrahamic apocrypha to the west's more faithful adaptation of Greek myths in God of War, you kind of get your wish, since among the other suspiciously familiar-looking fallen angels you battle as the scribe with sweet fightin' moves known as Enoch, the angel Sariel is David Bowie.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
No update picture yet because I'm finally getting my own loving computer running, so I don't have photoshop and what have you set up quite yet.

Episode 5: Kronos ... Cut ... Polsy ... Uncut ... Polsy

Not only that, but a new riff with Skippy Granola went up.

And while I may not have LP stuff set up on this thing yet, I do have the capacity to stream, which I will be doing at 9 PM EST tonight (an hour and 45 minutes-ish from this post going up), ALSO with Skippy. Not Ape, he already sat through the game I'll be playing once with me. Come watch here.

EDIT:

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 8, 2014

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The other two Siren fights aren't quite as samey as you made them out to be - they constantly spawn Minotaurs in pairs while you're trying to fight them and then run away.

As for that conveyor belt part, I did it the way you did my first time. Then I learned that you can smash the grinding wheel at the far end to not only stop the conveyor belt completely, but also get a huge collection of red orbs.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is from the last update, but Nintendo Power [Test Pilot?] looked a lot like William Mapother. Is there another, even less famous Mapother in the acting family?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I get this feeling like me and Skippy should have coordinated our pronunciations or something beforehand.

Also, interesting note: the reason why Gaia and Uranus' offspring were forced to remain inside their mother's womb is because Uranus was constantly on top of Gaia, coupling with her and presenting no room between between the earth and the sky. This is why it is imperative for Atlas to hold Uranus over his head: if he did not, then the sky would crash down upon the earth and all life on its surface would perish.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I get this feeling like me and Skippy should have coordinated our pronunciations or something beforehand.

History will vindicate me!

I considered re-recording but I decided to stick to my guns and pronounce that mess as pretentiously as possible. HEKKAKONKERS, M8!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I went on the youtubes and asked them how to pronounce it, there's actually a video that tells you how it sounds.

It's "Hecca-tonk-air-ees"

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 8, 2014

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Okay, so there's a steady stream of dead bodies coming from the fortress. Where the hell did they come from? I mean, even Kratos had a little trouble getting there, what with having to hunt down the Sirens and blow the big horn and the whole climb-three-days-and-nights deal. But apparently there's dozens, if not hundreds, of other Greek soldiers who managed to get here first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Alien Arcana posted:

Okay, so there's a steady stream of dead bodies coming from the fortress. Where the hell did they come from? I mean, even Kratos had a little trouble getting there, what with having to hunt down the Sirens and blow the big horn and the whole climb-three-days-and-nights deal. But apparently there's dozens, if not hundreds, of other Greek soldiers who managed to get here first.

Pegasus runs a ferry service, but Kratos refuses to take mass transit.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Alien Arcana posted:

If there's one part of the world that I can imagine holds a whole ton of second-rate heroes badass enough to pass preliminaries like that, it's Greece.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

If there's one part of the world that I can imagine holds a whole ton of second-rate heroes badass enough to pass preliminaries like that, it's Greece.

That's 'cause all the first-rate heroes are up chilling with Beowulf in Scandnavia. :colbert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yes this LP. Please continue to educate the gently caress out of me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ahh, Pandora's Temple.

...what an over-engineered piece of crap. Right from the start. What was even the point of the self-retracting giant stone steps?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure you can actually break the Grinder at the end of the conveyor belt, makes that pushing section a little bit easier.

This game actually came out in 2005 too according to Wikipedia and God of War 2 was 2007 when the PS2 was last-gen. I remember a few reviews commenting it actually looked (and played) better then the PS3 games available at the time.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Ahh, Pandora's Temple.

...what an over-engineered piece of crap. Right from the start. What was even the point of the self-retracting giant stone steps?

Gotta use up the budget or they'll cut it next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So... the Olympians were not all begat from the Titans? Were there any other Olympians who came about into existance like Aphrodite, i.e. not through Kronos or any of the titans?

• Locked thread