Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So did they make That Section more manageable in any way for the HD port, or is it still the single most painful thing in the entire series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Are you talking about the pain-in-the-rear end climb, or the pain-in-the-rear end block-pushing bit?

I mean the bit that the devs admitted they didn't playtest properly. So the whole climb and balance beams bit that causes a spike in blood pressure to anyone who played this game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Desfore posted:

As for God of War, I really loved the first two games when I played them. I probably beat GoW2 like five times trying to unlock everything. However, when GoW3 came around I was kinda underwhelmed by it. I won't go into detail, but Kratos' quest seemed less about revenge and redemption, and just about killing poo poo and being angry. Kratos is already a super rear end in a top hat, so without at least a decent justification for the rampant murder, it just didn't appeal to me anymore. But that conversation can wait til you get to game 3.

When it comes to stories like this, where the protagonist is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat, the general rule is to put them up against someone even worse, so they come across as the lesser of two evils. Somewhere along the line, this perspective gets... forgotten to a certain extent. It's definitely more in keeping with Greek stories of the time (where being an absolute prick to your enemies was seen as a virtue), but for a modern audience, it tends to leave them in the cold.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It makes me laugh that you note how she was supposed to be cursed with extreme ugliness, when almost every image used in that segment cast her as ridiculously beautiful. Is the ugliness a recurring thing, or is it, again, dependant on the version of the myth?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pvt.Scott posted:

Do you think that Kratos stops and thinks about what he's done with his life? Everyone hates him, he looks like poo poo and he's letting himself be used as a pawn in an Olympian slap fight. I think he may have some self-esteem and codependency issues to work through. Is the Oracle a licensed therapist?

He does seem to be obsessed over this nameless trauma, whatever it is. I get the feeling that anyone who insults or hates him doesn't have long to live, though. Probably a benefit of being Zeus' hatchet man.

Blades of Chaos man.

Whatever.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

No wonder those women were sad to see him go.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ironically, by the time Dante and the Blatant Ripoff (or Dante's Inferno, if you prefer) came along, big floppy dongs were a-okay.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Drachir D Nalem posted:

It's a shame the videos are unavailable now, though. Makes them hard to re-watch.

Just wondering, how many games exactly is there in the GoW series?

Three numbered games, three unnumbered. The unnumbered ones tend to be prequels, except for Ghost of Sparta, which takes place between the first two.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dr. Buttass posted:

But my favorite part about your styles is that you're the LP equivalent of a keg stand!

Filled with regret and vomit the morning after?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Delta Green posted:

By accident. They nailed the Comedy part by accident.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count if it's accidental.

I dunno, Lucifer's bloody hilarious right up until the end.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's worth mentioning that when he meets the woman with the key and tries to stop her non-violently - that's about the one and only time that happens in the entire series. There's not a single time in the rest of the story that he doesn't go 'hey, you have something I need, allow me to convince you to help me with excessive violence!' It turns into jet black comedy in the later games.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Night10194 posted:

Zeus can put his kids wherever the hell he wants, he's a God. I remember the Contendings of Horus and Set, where the two of them basically try to impregnate one another to shame each other by hiding it in the other's salad and stuff like that, because Gods can impregnate whatever they drat well please, being so powerful.

The Contendings of Horus and Set are pretty weird. Egyptian mythology is also awesome and weird.

TIL the Egyptian pantheon is basically an extended episode of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wasn't there a GoW clone that ramped up the QTEs on harder difficulties, to the point that the required button mashing was physically impossible for 9/10 players?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Which is ironic, since their ships fall apart with, like, no provocation at all.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Iretep posted:

Frank Miller intentionally made changes so the western audiance would see the spartans as the good guys. It's not supposed to be an accurate representation of history at all. The movie less so with it's army of mutant Persians.
Don't forget when Leonidas describes the Athenians as a bunch of 'boy-lovers'. Hilarious, since the practice was institutionalised in Sparta.

Of course, Millar has since backtracked and said all that was a vague attempt at 'satire'. But then, he says that whenever any of his attempts at satire or comedy fail miserably (Dark Knight Strikes Back, All-Star Batman And Robin, etc.).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah... I can't remember off the top of my head if human sacrifice ever comes up (when it comes to killing mortals, gods prefer to do that themselves), but killing kinfolk- your parents or children- is always, always, ALWAYS a no-no. It goes back to hospitality and the importance of a place of safety in ancient times; even back then, the early civilizations knew that you have to have the place where you'll come to no harm and people who'll never stick a knife in your back, so any breach of that idea of home was considered profane. That's what the furies are for, after all: punishing those that destroy the hearth.

e: What the hell am I talking about? Iphigenia! The friggin' Trojan War! Agamemmnon is told by the gods that he has to sacrifice Ipheginia to the gods to get the winds blowing to sail to Troy and after much handwringing by all those involved, she sacrifices herself. Euripides even made a play about it! Sorry, folks, early morning...

There was also a lot of soldiers and generals who would dedicate kills, battles and wars to the gods IIRC, so in a roundabout way, the gods were all about human sacrifice.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Night10194 posted:

Or Left Behind Killer Jesus, who opens his mouth and people start melting. There's plenty of right wing fundamentalist Jesuses who are every bit the Christian Kratos!

Motherfucking JESUS BEAMS!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gensuki posted:

And yet, Kratos sees death, and by extension suicide as a relief from his nightmares, Despite the fact that he literally died in the game's plot and then crawled out of hades. Like... does that death not count? If he just wants the nightmares to stop, couldn't he have just stayed dead? Or did he think he could have his cake and eat it too if he broke out?

I mean, it's shown that when he died he was still conscious, so wouldn't he then have nightmares in hades?

There's a few recurring themes in the series, one of them being that once Kratos sets his mind to murdering something, nothing - and I mean nothing - will stop him. Even death barely gives him time to pause, as seen here. The term 'blinding rage' may as well have a picture of Kratos under it, as he gets ridiculously single-minded when something pisses him off enough. If he'd managed to kill Ares before he died, he probably would've just let himself stay in Hades, since his anger also gives him purpose. Without that, he literally is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

anilEhilated posted:

I... don't think forgiveness as a place in Greek mythology. Pre-christian religions weren't too big on atonement, they preferred exemplary punishments so you don't step out of the line in the first place.

Restitution was sometimes a thing, IIRC, but no one ever said you had to be sorry about it.

• Locked thread