Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
When you were talking about the Hydra, I thought that you had pronounced immortal as immoral. Your pronounciation of Typhon was a bit odd as well though that might just be because I've never heard it pronounced that way before.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the Zorak-style Greek mythology lessons and am looking forward to more of this LP.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
One of the bosses in 2 is of Norse myth actually, it replaces a Greek monster thanks to the movies Clash of the Titans.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Gorgons' serpentine design in the games is likely thanks to mythological bleed over with other snake creatures such as the Nāga of Buddhist and Hindu mythology whose depictions range from giant snakes, sometimes with multiple heads, to snake-like centaurish creatures.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Snake-headed tails are a recurring thing in Greek myth as in addition to Cerberus, we have Chimera as well as the Greek Sphinx who was the daughter of Orthus with either Echidna, Chimera (yes she's actually female despite having a mane), or Ceto which given that they are Orthus' mother, sister, and grandmother respectively is really :gonk:.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

tlarn posted:

Centaurs are always hilarious to me, but it takes some explanation to show why I find them funny.

While horses do breathe normally when at rest, their breathing is assisted by their gallop. As their hind legs move, it pulls and pushes their diaphragm along with them, so that each gallop stride makes the horse have a full inhale and exhale. Horses also have huge nostrils and nasal cavities to get lots of air through to their lungs.

So every time I see a centaur I can't help but see it passing out from lack of air after a few seconds of running.

To be fair, most mythical monsters have some issue to them so it's not like Centaurs are the only impractical ones.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 30, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of depictions of Hades, I remember that the series Clash of the Gods on History depicted Hades as an elderly man with striking blue eyes. The elderly man depiction was presumably because he was a eldest of the three brothers, Poseidon and Zeus being the younger brothers with Zeus being the youngest.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's interesting that Heave mentioned Sagittarius being originally a Satyr despite modern depictions being Centaurs but given that the former were originally horse-men and Centaurs are associated with archery, it's easy to see where the modern depiction came from.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fun fact, Harpies and Sirens were pretty similar description-wise before the latter became synonymous with Mermaids.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, aren't most Greek "heroes" shitheads anyway?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The design of this game's Underworld as well as Hades himself makes sense when you consider that the developers were most likely working under the assumption that Hades and the Underworld are Satan and Hell respectively even though that assumption's completely incorrect mythically speaking.

The fact that it got abandoned after this game is do to them doing actual research and discovering that Hades=/=Satan and the Underworld=/=Hell.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 10, 2014

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

Yet Hades still looks hosed up and gross in 3, so uh... they couldn't have researched TOO much.

To be fair, even in-game it's established that the Olympians are shapeshifters (see: Poseidon in 3) so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that he uses the horrifying battle form to basically lower his enemy's fighting ability through fear.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

That's basically GoW2/3 right there. You just literally described the plot to the next couple games except its EVERYONE and not just Athena.

Basically Zeus rightfully perceives Kratos as a threat, bear in mind that Kratos being a threat was do to the gods giving him power before making the fatal mistake of loving with him, and tries to kill him. This goes about as well as you would expect but that's for the GoW 2 thread when Kalon gets around it that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't want to spoil too much out of respect to Kalon but it's mainly the gods, specifically Zeus, who are on Kratos' poo poo list. Every other casualty is just a means to an end.

• Locked thread