Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

dragon enthusiast posted:

There's one somewhere in the EP2 matterboards that's needs-suiting.
I'm going to use the Japanese names for ease of My Shop searching (you can C&P from outside the game client), but the matter board katana is 剣影 which comes with a bunch of affixes, has a latent ability that boosts Average Stance by 5/6/7% and is all class, but is dark element and requires 600 S-ATK. Similar in stats is ラムダカリシズマ which drops off of 61+ Falz Arms and has the same latent, so it'll be cheap and available in any element, but it's braver only and requires 435 DEX. Another braver only option is ディオサリザニア which has slightly higher attack rating and the latent ability that boosts just attacks, but it requires 665 S-ATK. Element compatibility aside, 剣影 is your best bet straight out of the box, since all it requires is maxing out elemental damage and grinding to +10, and you can equip it much earlier with a maxed out S-ATK mag. ラムダカリシズマ is the budget option, since you can get them super cheap, but will require you to affix it yourself, and if you don't have any DEX on your mag, it'll be a long time before you can equip it. ディオサリザニア is here just because it has a good latent that works with both stances, but 66% S-ATK equip requirement means it won't be feasible until later, and it is comparatively rare, only dropping from 66+ King Vardha. There are other high-end (and prohibitively expensive) 10 star options, but for most people, you're going to be using one of those 3 until you score a good 11 star weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Awesome, thanks!

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do tower defense 2 whenever it pops up and eat a rare boost because lambda Kougongins are in the consolation prize list and they're a decent starter katana.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I fought Big Vardha for the first time tonight. I wonder how efficient I was about it, but that's one of the coolest boss fights I've experienced in quite a long time.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
SEGA will get news about PSO2 releasing to Western Audiences when The Last Guardian is released on Playstation 3.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah so Gravity Bomb and Launchers is pretty fantastic, especially Flame Bullet (with Flame Visit's new potential for it) and Zero Distance. Probably even better when I remember to use my non-hybrid mag.

Also Speed Rain, even on Ranger without Partz Gear.

Basically Gravity Bomb owns.

e: Also Glorious Rain is pretty good now, works wonders for killing Doritos towers.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 4, 2014

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Okay guys, so here's what you do.

Step 1) Run Fighter/Bouncer.
Step 2) Max out Critical Strike, Brave Critical and Wise Critical on the Fighter skill tree.
Step 3) Max out Critical Field and Elemental Stance Critical on the Bouncer skill tree.
Step 4) Activate the stances/field.

Congratulations, you now have 100% crit rate. :unsmigghh:

Math: 5% base + 15% from Critical Strike + 25% from each active Stance (so 50%) + 30% from Critical Field. And yes, percentages are additive in this game, I made doubly sure.

What this means is that you can make full use of crafted weapons, which normally have a high damage variance dependent on the rarity of weapon you crafted - since crits in PSO2 always do full damage, this variance becomes entirely moot, granting you your weapon's full power all the time. And if you're worried about Elemental Stance's penalty for hitting with the wrong element, don't be, as Critical Strike's power boost completely cancels it out. And then when you find an enemy that's weak to your attack's element, you're now hitting it 30% harder, in addition to your weapon's attribute bonus. :getin:

This can also work as Hunter/Bouncer with Fury Critical, though you'll need a weapon with the "Mortality's Ante" latent, which when maxed out adds the missing 20% to Fury Stance's crit rate. You won't have the buffer against Elemental Stance's nerf however, so you may want to stock up on lots of different-attribute weapons.

Or you can be boring and go Fighter/Hunter, which maxes out at 90% crit rate (there are also latents that boost Brave Stance's crit rate as well, but none for Wise Stance's sadly). It's not perfect, but 90% is still really good.

If you want to get really mean, you can max out Craft Mastery in the Bouncer's skill tree for a general 10% boost to your weapon's attack stat, which as maximum extension makes it the strongest weapon of that type in the game.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 4, 2014

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wait, why are percentages additive? I don't think I can name a game where it does that for this reason.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

Wait, why are percentages additive? I don't think I can name a game where it does that for this reason.

I don't think I can name a game where criticals work the same way as in PSO2. The only thing crits do is cause the highest possible damage in its variation window (like a 300-500 weapon in diablo causing 500 damage). So since they're not that important, it's not an issue. Theres a gunner skill that gives you a 50% crit rate if you stay close to the enemies.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What determines which class you select as your main? Main class exclusive skills and that's it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Drythe posted:

What determines which class you select as your main? Main class exclusive skills and that's it?

Weapons, too, since the majority of poo poo isn't all/multiclass.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I doubt they could compel me to play unless they brought over nearly 100% of the content (licensed stuff excluded of course) as it currently stands. I heard enough stories from the old vanguard from this very thread that made PSO2 seem like a pretty boring loving game on release.

So basically

No Sega

Go gently caress Yourself

I'd hope that any western release is basically just an official English client and they'd add a couple more ships, but they're SEGA so they'll probably do regional servers like most MMO companies do because they're planned and operated by idiots who think it's still 1998.

IAmTheRad posted:

SEGA will get news about PSO2 releasing to Western Audiences when The Last Guardian is released on Playstation 3.

PSO2 will launch in the west the day before Final Fantasy 15 hits the shelves.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wish I had even the slightest clue why they are anti-West when it comes to PSO2. PSO1 was the poo poo, I knew so many people who played that, and the West has like 1000x more PC gamers than Japan. So what's the deal?

edit: I mean, at least they explained themselves when it came to the Yakuza series, but for PSO2 their policy seems to be deny everything, no information for anyone ever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 4, 2014

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wish I had even the slightest clue why they are anti-West when it comes to PSO2. PSO1 was the poo poo, I knew so many people who played that, and the West has like 1000x more PC gamers than Japan. So what's the deal?

edit: I mean, at least they explained themselves when it came to the Yakuza series, but for PSO2 their policy seems to be deny everything, no information for anyone ever.

50%+ of their scratches are tie-ins from japanese poo poo they can't sell here for various reasons, they figure a large portion of the potential population is already playing on b20, SEGA has had very poor sales in general over here because their marketing department sucks donkey balls definitely reasons, they wouldn't have the game on the same patch as the japanese one leaving us bitter and unlikely to continue playing, or just the good ol' "SEGA is a backwards, ancient, xenophobic group of incompetents". Take your pick of these and many more reasons! :downsbravo:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah so Gravity Bomb and Launchers is pretty fantastic, especially Flame Bullet (with Flame Visit's new potential for it) and Zero Distance. Probably even better when I remember to use my non-hybrid mag.

Also Speed Rain, even on Ranger without Partz Gear.

Basically Gravity Bomb owns.

e: Also Glorious Rain is pretty good now, works wonders for killing Doritos towers.

I really like Gravity Bomb + Zero Distance, or tossing a cosmo out then tossing a Gravity Bomb into the middle of it. :D

And yeah, Partizans are reallly good now. When I'm messing around on HU with my usual FI I basically use nothing but partisans. Speed Rain and Slide Shaker are amazing for mobbing especially.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

After my grinding adventures, I find myself short on cash. What do people do to make loads of money?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Drythe posted:

After my grinding adventures, I find myself short on cash. What do people do to make loads of money?

Pre-EP3 answer: TACOs
Post-EP3 answer: daily COs, TACOs, other various repeatable COs that have large meseta rewards

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Is there a list for the repeatable COs anywhere?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
the most "repeatable" a CO can get are the ones that have 22 hour cooldowns.
so it would be the:
The Daily Order admin
Hans (kill mobs)
Revelle (kill darkers)
Kressedia (run missions)
Xie (if she is around)

COs that have weekly cooldowns that you should also keep an eye on:
Kressedia's item collection COs
Gerald (rare enemy kills)
Io (Just Attack/Party Practice)
uh... the weather effect dude
and there are probably more but I forgot

also I know I spelled names wrong here but :effort:

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 4, 2014

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I think something is slightly wrong with my PSO2 install. I don't have the EP2 matter board, and none of the client orders for the floating continent actually register. By which I mean I can go select them from Hans, but if I look at the 'recommended CO's for this quest' thing, none appear for the floating continent, and none of my kills register even if I have them on anyway. Anyone ever have this happen before?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Buried alive posted:

I think something is slightly wrong with my PSO2 install. I don't have the EP2 matter board, and none of the client orders for the floating continent actually register. By which I mean I can go select them from Hans, but if I look at the 'recommended CO's for this quest' thing, none appear for the floating continent, and none of my kills register even if I have them on anyway. Anyone ever have this happen before?

the Episode 2 matterboards do not unlock until you finish Episode 1, and as for Floating Continent, are you sure you are killing enemies of the correct level?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Yep, I'm just dumb. In other news, I met Mr. Umbrella for the first time and I can summon a unicorn to fight my enemies now. This is the best game. :allears:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i really hate patching this game

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Is there an official goon team? Also how does the Bouncer's elemental pp restorate field work in practice? Like is it an ability you activate and then it goes on cooldown? Does the field follow you around or is it stationary?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Buried alive posted:

Is there an official goon team? Also how does the Bouncer's elemental pp restorate field work in practice? Like is it an ability you activate and then it goes on cooldown? Does the field follow you around or is it stationary?

When you activate the field skills they follow you around and then go on cooldown after they're over.

And yes, there is a goon team, what's your player id name?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
PnchyMcKickFist

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It is not I who is crazy... it is I who am MAD!!

(now what do I do with its skills)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 6, 2014

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Stick with stuff that gives widely applicable percentile bonuses and it's hard to gently caress up too bad.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I think he means the mag's trigger abilities.
Just put a bunch of Revival A's and an Invincibility A.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Oh, right, "its skills". The HP recovery when below 50% ones are also really good. The better version has a high chance of activation and restores around 2/3 of your max HP.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

What are the decent fist PAs if I want to be reasonably mobile? Spinning Backhand's hilarious but as far as I can tell the damage took a hit this patch and I miss with it stupidly often just because something's moved backwards an inch.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Pendulum Roll got a nice buff, so it's good for doing damage while slightly moving forward to keep an enemy in range.

I think Flash Thousand got a slight range buff as well, I'm hitting things a bit more reliably with it.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like Straight Charge a lot even though everybody ignores it.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I'm fond of sliding upper and I also agree with the above two dudes. I have flash thousand, upper and the backhand on as PA's when I main fighter. Flash for groups, upper for general knockback and interruption, backhand because backhand.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

After loving around and experimenting a bit I think I really like Surprise Knuckle. The damage seems really respectable now and it's cheap enough you can just keep knocking everything and its mom to the ground. You go really far forward on the first strike, too.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

e: nm

This game is a blast to come back to though.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 8, 2014

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

Stelas posted:

After loving around and experimenting a bit I think I really like Surprise Knuckle. The damage seems really respectable now and it's cheap enough you can just keep knocking everything and its mom to the ground. You go really far forward on the first strike, too.

Right now my Knuckle combos are Meteor Fist, Pendulum Roll and Surprise Knuckle. I can do a quick standing dodge, charge up Meteor and while it's coming down, I move in and start Pendulum > Surprise.

I also have Fighting Beats which boost Surprise a good bit. I gave up on Backhand cause, yeah, I missed way too much. Pendulum and Surprise both have a bit of forward movement, so it's easier to press the attack.

And Double Sabres are starting to grow on me, now that I found a nice PA combo. D Sabre is turning into the mobbing weapon of choice for me as Fighter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Huhuhuh..

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any particular logic you guys are using in where to assign PAs on melee weapons? I have a Dynasty Warriors brain so my C1 is usually either a fast stun or a projectile, C2 is a launcher, and C3 is an area attack, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

There are a few different factors that go into deciding what to put where. Probably the biggest thing is understanding that for 1->2->3 pattern weapons, Step Attack JAs into Slot 1, Normal Attack from a neutral start JAs into Slot 2, and Weapon Actions (Sway, Spin, Just Counter, etc.) JA into Slot 2. Normal Attack will always skip the next PA in the queue, so you could do NA-> 2 ->3, or 1->NA ->3, etc.

Daggers are good example for this, because maintaining infinite hang time is important for getting the most out of Dagger Gear. Generally speaking, you want to slot a PA that gains altitude and homes in on targets in Slot 1 to open a fight, close gaps, get back into the air after evading with a Step, or coming out of a Spin, then another altitude gaining/maintaining PA in Slot 2 to launch out of an aerial Normal Attack, and a hard-hitting PA in Slot 3. A lot of people like to slot 1: Symphonic Drive, 2: Quick March, 3: Bloody Saraband. A basic pattern would be aerial Spin/Step Attack-> 1->-2-> 3-> NA-> 2-> 3-> NA-> 2-> 3, and so on. If the dude is moving around a lot, you can Spin-> 1 with your homing gap closer to chase him down, or if you need to refill PP, just NA-> NA-> NA/Spin and restart your combo.

For most weapons, it's a lot less complicated than that. It's best to devote weapon palette slots to specific purposes (ie; boss killer slot, crowd control slot, trash clearer slot, etc.) than to try to do everything with one slot. Especially at SH, you don't really have time to spend screwing around with how fast and aggressive enemies are. Your most frequently used PAs should go in Slot 2 and 3, and feel free to slot the same attack in all 3 slots if you plan on spamming it constantly. Being comfortable with your setup is the most important thing.

• Locked thread