Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Braver palette: Shunka -> Shunka -> Shunka

Gap closer, altitude maintainer, and single target all in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Shunka's still good, but Hatou Rindou is not to be underestimated, especially when enemies start clumping up a bit. You can do a lot of damage with it.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Hato puts out damage extremely fast, you just need to get the positioning down. Sakura Endo also hits a lot harder now, and its very fast as well. Hien Tsubaki is a good ranged option, and Kanran Kikyou is fantastic crowd control. Shunka is great, but you're missing out if you don't experiment with other PAs.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I did experiment, nothing has the cool factor of Shunka. Getting a killing blow and seeing your character sheathe the sword in the death cinematic will always be higher levels of badass than other PAs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Drythe posted:

seeing your character sheathe the sword in the death cinematic will always be higher levels of badass than other PAs.

Nah, first time I killed Turbogoon I did him in with a Rodeo Drive circle-spin to the face, and to date nothing has topped that.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

We almost got to see him :gbsmith: (I play windowed on low settings so I can watch things on the other monitor)

VVVVV but you're ded tho

Lenaway fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2014

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

rip
EDIT: (I play windowed fullscreen on high settings and I can still watch things on the other monitor :smugbert:)

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
oh and reminder to the new people: do not re-install any of the English patches until you see that they have updated.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
It's gotta check all the files? Aren't there around 270k files?

I thought I was going to be waiting all night!

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I had a chance to try out the new time attack and emergency quest, and they're both fairly straightforward.

Wopal Time Attack
You start on a single central island with 4 catapults leading to the other islands, clearing spawns on one island will cause spawns to pop on other islands, eventually spawning minibosses, and ultimately Big Z on the central island.

The next zone has a bunch of combo switches that cause various enemy types to spawn and remove the laser fences around other combo switches. Hit all the switches and kill all the spawns to proceed.

In the following section, there are two lines of floor switches along each of the two forks. You need to kill the spawns to get the switches to light up so you can activate them. Hit all the floor switches, and you can enter the final area.

There are four time switches in the center of the area with various trash enemies. When a switch is activated, it causes more enemies to spawn, including an Olg Blan and Biore Meduna for the 3rd and 4th switches. Kill everything to clear the mission. It's more or less a straight shot from start to finish with little to no backtracking in a party. There's only one CO for it, but it gives 160K for Normal or higher, so it's pretty much free money for 10 minutes of work on a maxed out character.

Harukotan Emergency Quest
The map is a fixed layout with one main loop and a smaller loop on the right side. Somewhat similar to base defense missions, you get XP and item drops regardless of where you are on the map. You won't see floating text for XP gains at long distances, but you're still getting them. Also be sure to look around the whole map if you get a rare drop notification, since old drops will disappear once you hit the item limit.

The quest clear conditions require you to earn 800 points, which are gained solely by clearing emergency trials. it alternates between regular random trials and special fixed trials. Trials will be triggered regardless of where you are on the map, so you need to track the random trials down ASAP and broadcast the coordinates.

Special trials spawn a blue variant of the Harukotan mini-boss which turn the floor into poison by corrupting the lanterns indicated by red dots on the minimap. Attacking the lanterns will cleanse them, and if you cleanse enough, the floor will return to normal. You can avoid taking damage by using the rooftops to move around. If you don't cleanse the lanterns fast enough, enemies get a damage boost and eventually start automatically regenerating every second. The first special trial spawns 2 minibosses, 4 in the second, and 6 + Gunnegam in the final trial. You have to kill all mini-bosses and the boss to clear the final trial and finish the mission. The mini-bosses dump their drops directly on the ground instead of leaving red crystals, but the main boss does leave a crystal, so don't miss it.

I have yet to see any rare enemies, but the high number of mini-bosses (12 per run) and trash mobs (constantly respawning hordes) means pretty decent odds for farming *10 and *11 weapons. Gunnegam has his full normal drop table, so you also have a shot at his *11 weapons and units. It's obviously not as fast or efficient as speed running him with a well geared group, but that gets pretty tedious after awhile.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the Harukotan EM sounds like simple on paper , but actually trying it, the miasma spewing laterns spawn all over the entire map and respawn every time the minibosses re appear so the miasma never ran out. Eventually the mpa just wiped repeatedly to a health regenerating ganna-gane boss and beat it through sheer brute force.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Giggles Gummybuns and his barnyard buddies.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

A guy I know calls him Google Gundam (makes slightly more sense in Japanese) on account of the armor and giant sword.

The big thing with clearing the Harukotan EQ easily is that you're supposed to split up and have a few people knock out lanterns while everyone else tracks down and whacks the mini-bosses. Anybody who can cast Il Megid (or any good ranged AoE really) can do lantern duty just fine, and Rangers are great for stopping the mini-bosses, since Upper Traps will down them if they're above 50% HP. You get drops and XP no matter where you are, so there's no reason to clump up and move around in a big ball. If you keep an eye on the minimap, you can tell how many people are doing lanterns, and if it's only 1 or 2, then start busting lanterns yourself. Four or five dudes with solid gear can carry a whole MPA in terms of firepower as long as bosses aren't boosted and regenerating. There seems to be some kind of cooldown on how often they can light lanterns, so if you have 3-4 people doing lanterns, you'll be able to get ahead pretty easily except on the last trial, where you should have your biggest bruisers + rangers for WB go stomp GG right away and mop up the minibosses after he goes down.
I dunno, maybe randos on Ship 2 are just dumber/lazier, but I didn't have any trouble running it with 11 strangers on Ship 1. Might help to ask who wants to do lanterns before the mission starts and hope for volunteers.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The Wopal TA is stupid, c-mode truly is dead

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
To be fair, cmode was just memorizing button combinations and knowing what rooms to go to.
The only real challenge in that mode is the gal gryphon and olga flow fights.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

MR. J posted:

To be fair, cmode was just memorizing button combinations and knowing what rooms to go to.
The only real challenge in that mode is the gal gryphon and olga flow fights.

there were some other RNG challenges, like trying to fight the dragon when the Force didn't find a barta disc the entire run :shepicide:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Oh yes, haha. Or when the resident HUmar takes the only Resta disk in the forest run for himself. Having to deal with 13 damage Zondes for Dragon was always a knee-slapping time though.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
So I wanted to try Force and TechterTecher, and considering the changes and me having no idea how to play space whizzards, what are good skills and techs to pick up? exploding things for FO and bonking for TE. Also subclasses- I'm guessing HU or FI for bonkers and FI, BR or BO for whizzards?

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 11, 2014

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Braver is a good sub for wandbonking, too. Attack advance adds 50% unconditional damage to your bonks, and you can switch between average/weak stance depending on what you're fighting.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mewnie posted:

So I wanted to try Force and TechterTecher, and considering the changes and me having no idea how to play space whizzards, what are good skills and techs to pick up? exploding things for FO and bonking for TE. Also subclasses- I'm guessing HU or FI for bonkers and FI, BR or BO for whizzards?

Fo subs:
Fighter is good as long as you keep up on your stance juggleing, and use Tech Arts JA to it's fullest by not just spamming the same tech, as well as Chase Advance Plus when a status effect lands.
Braver's Weak Stance is stronger than Bouncer's Elemental stance; as long as you either hit a weak element OR a weak point, you get full weak stance damage.
Techer is good if you want to supplement your support techs or combo some of the PP regen skills with Charge PP Revival, or if you went full rainbow and max out all 6 elemental trees.

Te subs:
Force gives you back all the tech-based Fo skills, if you just want to be an upside-down force.
Fighter gives you the same damage bonuses as when you were using it on Fo, but your wand melee is going to benifit from standard chase advance too. Adrenalin lets you use an uncharged shifta to reach max duration on yourself, and Crazy Beat looks like it would weirdly fit with Super Treatment.
Bouncer makes you God of Support, though if you are solo this is A Bad Thing.
Braver is now your Go-To for wandbonking, because Attack Advance holy poo poo.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The way weaknesses work is slightly more complicated than it first appears, and it isn't clearly spelled out in the game documentation. The basic concept is that there are 3 types of attack (melee, ranged, and tech), and 2 types of damage (physical and elemental). This is easily confirmed by checking out a unit with the All Resist affix, which gives resistance to all 3 attack types and all 6 elemental types, though notably not to physical damage.

The attack type is not necessarily the same as the stat it's based on. Jet Boots are a good example of this, since they do melee attacks based on the T-ATK stat, and there's a specific skill that lets you switch it to key off S-ATK. The Wand tech burst, despite the name, is considered a melee attack, so it will be boosted by Fury Stance. Another example is the Launcher PA Crazy Smash, which is based on R-ATK but is typed as a melee attack. The Weak Hit Advance skill only affects ranged damage, so even if you hit a weakpoint, Crazy Smash doesn't get the bonus.

Damage type is very simple. Weapon attacks and PAs will do physical damage based on your total ATK rating for the dependent stat plus an additional percentage equal to your weapon's elemental attribute. A 50 element weapon will do X physical damage + .5X elemental damage. Technics, the Wand tech burst, and the Jet Boots elemental burst are 100% elemental damage. If you're using Element Weak Hit or Element Stance, only the elemental damage gets boosted, regardless of the attack type.

The hard and fast rule is No Double Dipping. The same multiplier will never apply to the same portion of damage more than once. With Weak Stance, technics and the wand burst get the full bonus against the proper element or against a weakpoint, never both. Weapon attacks obey the same general rule, but if you're not hitting a weakpoint, you can only get the multiplier for elemental weakness on the elemental damage, not for the physical portion. This means that Weak Stance is very effective for technic users, wand bonkers, and dudes who are good at headshots, but more of a bosses-only option for melee PA users.

As an interesting aside, Break Stance will also apply its bonus against parts that will cause a boss to be downed after it takes enough damage. Off the top of my head, this includes various dragon heads and Dark Byblas' ankles. You can easily lock onto Vol Dragon's head and get a big damage bonus while keeping him stunlocked. This ended up being a lot longer than I thought it would, but hopefully someone finds it useful.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Physical damage is also split between melee and ranged because of headshots and also melee can't damage wulffs.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Right, I sort of covered that in attack types, and even wrote out a whole paragraph on headshots that I ended up scrapping because I didn't want it to be too complicated and get confusing.

It is important to note that melee, ranged, and tech are supertypes that are handled independent of the physical/elemental split. Every package of damage, from players or enemies, is one those three types. When you hit with Cluster Bullet, you're doing both ranged physical and ranged elemental damage that's displayed as a single number. Theoretically, you could have a tech attack that does pure physical damage. If a boss hits you with an melee dark attack, the amount of damage you take will be calculated based on your S-DEF, then reduced by melee and dark resistance. You could spend all day talking about unusual cases and specifics of mechanics, but I really don't have the motivation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So for the gunner PAs that involve kicking, are they melee based on R-ATK?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know how exactly they balanced the despair base defense mission, but somehow it always turns out perfect for me, on very hard anyway. Win or lose, it always comes down to the last base, everyone expended their turrets/robots/repairs, and just a last minute drag out fight with the last few enemies. And that dynamic music keeps the goosebumps going the whole time. It's my favorite thing in the game by far.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know how exactly they balanced the despair base defense mission, but somehow it always turns out perfect for me, on very hard anyway. Win or lose, it always comes down to the last base, everyone expended their turrets/robots/repairs, and just a last minute drag out fight with the last few enemies. And that dynamic music keeps the goosebumps going the whole time. It's my favorite thing in the game by far.

On SH the last wave of Mining base despair is always the easiest because it's everyone AISing it up and lasers exploding everything.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Dabir posted:

So for the gunner PAs that involve kicking, are they melee based on R-ATK?

I don't know for sure on a case for case basis, but generally speaking, ranged PAs that include melee hits will use R-ATK for everything, and each hit will be typed as melee or ranged. It is testable, but really tedious to do, and I don't know anyone who has bothered. Gunslash PAs I have no clue, since they're a hybrid weapon, so it might switch attack stats along with damage types (you can actually see it automatically switch weapon mode if you pay attention). As far as anyone knows, though, Kamikaze Arrow and Rodeo Drive count as a ranged attack, since they definitely gets the headshot bonus. It's sort of moot for Ranger and Gunner PAs anyway, since they either have the majority of the damage done by the ranged portion, or they just have a huge multiplier.

In contrast, melee weapon PAs that fire projectiles (Sonic Arrow etc.) all count as melee attacks that do melee damage. I imagine this was done to prevent sub Ranger from getting out of hand.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol 5 posted:

I don't know for sure on a case for case basis, but generally speaking, ranged PAs that include melee hits will use R-ATK for everything, and each hit will be typed as melee or ranged. It is testable, but really tedious to do, and I don't know anyone who has bothered. Gunslash PAs I have no clue, since they're a hybrid weapon, so it might switch attack stats along with damage types (you can actually see it automatically switch weapon mode if you pay attention). As far as anyone knows, though, Kamikaze Arrow and Rodeo Drive count as a ranged attack, since they definitely gets the headshot bonus. It's sort of moot for Ranger and Gunner PAs anyway, since they either have the majority of the damage done by the ranged portion, or they just have a huge multiplier.

In contrast, melee weapon PAs that fire projectiles (Sonic Arrow etc.) all count as melee attacks that do melee damage. I imagine this was done to prevent sub Ranger from getting out of hand.

I think the main reason of ranged weapon PAs using R-ATK even for melee hits is because the weapons don't have S-ATK and the classes have naturally low S-ATK so they would hit for ridiculously low damage. Since gunslashes actually add both stats, the melee hits go off S-ATK and the ranged hits go off R-ATK. I noticed that as a ranger the first hit of ein raketen hits for 2/3 damage of the second one. Watching some videos of hunters doing the same the first slash hits way harder than the ranged shot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nerdz posted:

the weapons don't have S-ATK

Except for Flaupetal and Till Traitor. God knows why, though.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
finally

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
On contrary, you are a lucky bastard.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Hunar kicked my rear end while I was in a shirona free roam, and on the way back Knight gear decided to pop in. I introduced to two of them to each other and proceeded to watch the greatest anime sword fight ever.

I love boss vs boss fights.(My connection died before I got to see who won sadly)

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

nerdz posted:

I think the main reason of ranged weapon PAs using R-ATK even for melee hits is because the weapons don't have S-ATK and the classes have naturally low S-ATK so they would hit for ridiculously low damage. Since gunslashes actually add both stats, the melee hits go off S-ATK and the ranged hits go off R-ATK. I noticed that as a ranger the first hit of ein raketen hits for 2/3 damage of the second one. Watching some videos of hunters doing the same the first slash hits way harder than the ranged shot.

See this is what I mean about this subject being confusing. What you say is all true, but I didn't speculate on why melee hits for R-ATK-only weapons use R-ATK. What I speculated about was projectile PA attacks from melee-only weapons counting as melee attacks, despite obviously being projectiles. The upshot of it is that you can have melee attacks (ie; melee attack type) with ranged weapons that use R-ATK, but there are no ranged attacks (ie; ranged attack type) with melee weapons using S-ATK. The opaqueness of the mechanics as presented in the game make it difficult to talk about, since there's no real shared group of terms that everyone agrees on.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I got bored and took a selfie

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Listening to the Shironia theme made me all nostalgic about PSU. I guess this is why. They really sound alike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkAH8KYDBKI&t=5346s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neudaiz was kind of a lovely planet (with some of the only good music in PSU, it's pretty much those tracks and MOTHER), but I still like it better than Shironia.

Actually I really hate Shironia. It doesn't match the rest of the game at all, the natives are really loving huge and gather into cramped spaces way too often (let's not forget the wonderful naming of the two tribes) and tend to have too much HP. I don't mind the darkers too much, they're at least funny.

Something like Ohtori Castle in AOTI/Portable 2 worked because there was already a "mystic Japan" precedent to begin with.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The only thing that ever comes to mind when the Phantasy Star Universe soundtrack gets mentioned is "whooo said we are lost agaaain in this looonely wooorld" immediately followed by "last time on..." flashback clips.

PSU broke me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I can't remember the name of it, but that loving gospel song ending for the later chapters of PSU's story mode :shepicide:

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
For Brighter Day! Someone at SEGA must have really liked that track, since the OST was even named after it! To be completely honest, I don't think it's a bad song, especially compared to a lot of the other lyrical tracks in the series. The style, though, certainly doesn't fit. Like with anything in the series. At all.

And yeah, Shironia's BGM has a decent amount of Mizuraki C.D. in it. In fact, pretty much all of the area BGMs in PSO2 have remixes of one or more songs from PSO, PSU, or PS0. Mizuraki C.D. is cool and all, but I'm hoping for a future area on Hulkotron to include Habirao F.D. (i.e. the best area BGM from PSU [that isn't Aire Iglesia {which we already have in Sanctum}]).

Oh, one cool thing about Shironia's BGM that a lot of people don't seem to know: if you run around on the rooftops, the BGM gets an extra component of a sick electric guitar. I think it's neat, at least.

But yeah, Hulkotron is sort of a weird planet. It doesn't quite fit thematically; it's basically Neudaiz Prime 2: Echoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there some downside to katana combat that I'm not seeing? I could see that it has invincibility but I figured it was limited somehow, but nothing seems to be able to hit me while I am doing it, so it's basically 20 seconds or so free, safe damage against basically any kind of enemy, finishing with a massive area attack which despite what it looks like, hits over and under as well.

• Locked thread