Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah this was a thing that had to always be pointed out when I was teaching people about the Dark Ages. The Vikings technically owned slaves but due to how poor most people were and how the legal code treated slaves you actually might have it better off as a slave since the law required that your owner feed and clothe you, so often you'd get food when, for instance, your owners kids wouldn't. They also had different levels of slavery, where you had slave slaves and indentured servants. Slaves often had it better off in strange ways because of how Viking society perceived a sense of honor. If you were a slave, especially one from far off lands you were often better regarded than some indentured servants because you weren't forced into servitude by dept or family pressure but instead had to be taken by force. Indentured servants were common as well, often a single household would have several bondsmen bound to it's leader, but there was an intricate web of how honorable of a bondsmen you were based on exactly how you became an indentured servant (pledging your sword to a strong leader = very honorable and noble, your dad owed money to a guy so he gave him his 15 year old son = bad for your parents, not terrible for you since you were now essentially a surrogate son of a more powerful guy, tribe got beaten up by the household owners tribe = a horrible lowlife dirtperson is you).

American slavery was extremely non-complex and exceptionally brutal even by the historical standards of slavery, especially when we look at slavery as practiced by the Vikings, Greeks and golden age Arabs.

The other thing about Dark Ages and Ancient slavery was that it was an economic necessity. Colonial and American slavery was more about producing luxury items like cotton and sugar whereas a earlier slavery was more about producing enough food to keep the household alive and maybe give the landlord enough time to gently caress up Reeve Shithead in the next county over. The industrial revolution was a hell of a thing is what I am saying.

At least we don't live in the Grim Dark Future of the Battletech universe...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Many things, liking the chicken skin teddy ain't one.

What I thought. Did say I was an idiot.

I mean if chicken teddy was made by someone I knew, who wasn't selling it on craigslist, who didn't refer to chickens as having duplicate parts, who assured me he used edible materials, and was cooked to an internal temperature of 165 deg. I would enjoy chicken teddy.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Whelp.

It was a good thread folks. Time for orbital nukes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Moola posted:

humanity was a mistake

I long for nuclear death

Easy for you to say. You're a Skeleton.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

YES!!!!

Love the teef!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Moola posted:

theres something fishy about that conversion hahah

I know crabs arent fish gently caress off

Although all seafood is not fish, all seafood can be "fishy" therefore your original statement is valid.

loving off now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

goatface posted:

Cyborg titty wizard gives half-hearted nazi salute?

It's more of an awkward wave.

She thought is was a private beach, and the mormon church picnic just showed up.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ilor posted:

I remember back in the 1980s when jalapenos were considered ridiculously hot. Now sriracha is the new ketchup and people are seriously using ghost peppers in poo poo.

I don't even taste Franks Red Hot sauce any more. :eek:

Also I held a brush in anger for the first time in a couple years. The results are bland enough to not be fodder for this thread.

Don't like Bones' hatred of certain paint though

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So is discussing nazi tanks better or worse than calling Patton Oswalt a murderer?

I know what a Nazi is, so I can at least enjoy that kind of revelry in minutia.

As for a Patton, all I get is:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Reaper Minis!
:nws: https://i.imgur.com/PrBUw8X.jpg (mild booby mini)

Reaper

Minis!

That last one might just be a weird perspective thing. It's painted well.

Also do we post topless minis in this thread or links?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

What is your favorite cleavage?

The Classic Pushup?

The Semi-Modern Boob Window?

The Exotic Underboob?

The Nipple Shirt? aka the "I think I forgot something important when dressing"

Or the modern "Madonna"

I've just spent a half-hour putting boobie miniatures on imgur. I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

I saw this as well. Magnetized for when he plays with his kids.

Why? That's the magical age where it's actually funny!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

The pics of her dad’s stuff :smith:

I didn't even realize who her dad was at first.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

My favorite thing has been the comments of "the little girl on the cover has a loving hijab!"

A. Who cares.
B. No really who cares.
C. God forbid a non white being exist in your prescious 40k universe an wear clothing on their head.
D. Wonder if their heads would explode if they knew what the Tallarn legion of Imperial Guard was.

Not really it's the Mujahadeen that fought the commies, not the bad ones. Also Lawrence's Good Colonial Boys who were fighting for the good empire.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I told my wife about the nerds losing their poo poo over Kid's First Book of Grimdark.

"That's the game with the rape priest aliens and power armor that you Josh play?"
"How is that kid friendly?"
"Dunno"
"And they are mad at build they haven't read?! loving nerds."

I actually want to get them and read them. We wouldn't need to indoctrinate kids to our hobby if less of the players weren't toxic pieces of poo poo.
And who the gently caress gets mad at trying to get kids to read, and play a cool loving game? I was amped when last summer, right before going back to school, my son randomly wanted to build models and try a game.

The way to rope in kids is have them painting minis and playing games.

They'll read the books because they like the game, not the other way around.

Also a little grimdark is good for kids. I'm reading a series about Occupied Holland with my son right now, and the plight of the little Jewish boy doesn't have a lot of gravity if death camps don't exist.

(I can't wait until he discovers the After the Bomb genre from the 80s.)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The 2 books that hang with me from being that age are one where a boy has his personality programed into a robot replica as a way of traveling over lightyears only to discover that the aunt he is visiting is actually a replica controlled by someone (I don't.remember who. They were after her will)

The other is I am the Cheese by Robert Cormier where it starts out as a travel story of a kid biking through Massachusetts but it is eventually revealed he is biking in circles in the yard of a mental institution trying to deal with effects of brain damage incurred in a car accident that was part of the assasination of his parents.

The problem isn't that the books are Grimdark since the best kid lit is as well, it's that that kind of stupid dark wrecks a kid's willingness to read the kind of books that makes good adult readers.

At least that's my concern, not the stupid things nerds are bringing up.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, as long as a kid is reading something they enjoy (and it's broadly age appropriate obviously), I don't think there is a wrong book for them. Most of he adults I know who read grew up reading their share of unbelievable trash.

Yeah, you're right to a point. I did to, but I think in retrospect I'm glad I had more challenging books mixed in with the Dragonlance.

So: WH40k is not really too dark for a 8-10 year old
The lore is not going to convince anyone to play the game
There's probably better books for kids to read at that age
It's fine, stop freaking out nerds!

Cool. That's my reasoned position then. Thanks for that thread.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

That's a lovely last post.

Have this instead

from here:
http://gardenninjastudios.blogspot.ca/2017/12/harlequin-solitaire-with-sonic-hedgehog.html

edit:
Here, have this too
http://gardenninjastudios.blogspot.ca/2018/05/here-are-two-more-chibi-conversions-i.html

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ilor posted:

To be fair, the skull-and-crossed-bones symbol has been an emblem of cavalry units dating back to the Napoleonic era. All German tankers had the skull-and-crossed-bones pins on their lapel tabs. But it's easy to confuse it with the Totenkopf division, especially if you're unaware of the symbol's earlier use. That confusiuon (and the resulting backlash) is what led to the re-design of the front cover of TFL's "What a Tanker" rulebook.

That particular skull deign was created specifically for the SS. There have been a lot of totenkopfen in history, they can use one of those and it's no problem.

That said, I don't think it was intentional.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was going to post about the need to rescue some classic german symbology from Nazis when this first was posted. So I was looking for older examples of the symbol.

"Oh", I said.

"...oooooh."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe it's my state of mind today, but this is the first mini where I worry what the mind behind it is doing. I think because there isn't even kink here it's just "Arms raised in a 'v'"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

You're not wrong, if someone at the store I was playing at showed me this I'd make sure I wasn't followed home (I'm a woman though), but bondage isn't a kink?

This feels different though? Like it feels more violent. Like I said I might just be in a weird state of mind today, but kingdom death and even the infamous Eldar diorama had an air of sexuality to it, that's missing here.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

:munch:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ugleb posted:

You are not alone.

Also, WTF did I just look at?

Also, also, could these things please be rehosted so I don't start getting google ads for visiting that page or something.

Oh gross, there's a gallery page

:nws: https://www.e2046.com/gallery.php :nms:

Sorry people, had to bail before I could figure out what the gently caress that thing's story is.

Edit: oh gently caress me it's an OC? Maybe?

:nws: https://myfigurecollection.net/item/547450

I'm done gently caress garage kits.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 5, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Awww I can't stay mad at chibi Sif. :3:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

This was the one I was remembering. It's a bit different than I recall, but still well done.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/60/170591.page

That's an ... Interesting pallette.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I read 'slit'

Is it 'Slut'?

That reminds me, I haven't read the bad tattoo thread in years!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Whatever could you mean by...

...oh. That.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I sort of "get" that the Nazi thing in Britain is about national survival and the blitz and all that poo poo (so use of the iconography is fundamentally ironic and parodic, this is also probably why Poles like making Nazi Ork heads so drat much), but for the rest of the world it's conquest and trains full of :jewish: rumbling east and coming back "mysteriously" empty.

I'm not British, so that may be a thing, but I always thought this was a 20-something being an edgelord, without thinking about the members of his own family who were buddy-buddy with Hitler (because he was a pissed-off 21-year-old)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Candyman, Candyman

...Candyman

*duuuuum*

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

goatface posted:

The bug things are just derivative now. They have lost their outsider art charm.

Friggin' Hipsters... :argh:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I'm more concerned about her giant hand and forearm

And strong chin structure

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

So you're saying that the Shaper saw some big tiddy women and decided that his kroot should gain that asset?

exactly what happened. Tiddy Kroot are actually fidelitous.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Not sure where to put this.

It's technically a plasmo, but the modeling thread has no room for this kind of
.... :yikes:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/figures/preview/182072170314.htm

Make sure you read the text. All of it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nebalebadingdong posted:

that guy's an incel right?

I think he's just the nerdiest nerd that ever nerded.

His normal stuff is still annoying just not gross

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/us/usn/zhouf14b.htm

My least favorite reviewer on the site.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Zil posted:

Also not a single tatoo/glyph/brand. On the breasts that is.

What if you put tattoos of breasts....on the breasts

Your breastiness would know no limits at all

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

drat dude, who stuck tits to you?

Sadly I was unable to find images of titty skeletons for a games workshop game.

I found a Nurgle Sword though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt-JYcjxRfk&t=1891s

Just proving Nurgle is still better than Slaanesh

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

ro5s posted:

I sort of like the head, I like the idea of a sensation demon with no sensory organs, just a completely black face.

The rest is bad.

So Legion of Everblight warbeasts.

edit:
These I like...

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 3, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Do you normally not draw while furiously masturbating?

I normally make reddit posts. Why are you so weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

WW1 people were still trying to figure poo poo like camo out. Remember, these are the people that thought running en masse into machine gun fire was a sound tactic.

My favorite part of Dan Carlin's epic WW1 podcasts was him reading a primary source of Germany's march through Belgium where the guy said "You can see the horses but not the riders! :aaa:" because the idea of camoflauge was so trendy and new.