Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

Oh, and staff discount is 50% off. That's a looooot of markup for plastic dudes.

100% markup is standard for miniatures. (So RRP = 2xCost). The standard distributor discount is at least 40-45% off RRP so even with that massive markup many companies don't earn all that much per sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maybe it's actually a real skull and someone's going to get rapped for trafficking human remains.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Apollodorus posted:

Well, I never really planned on seeing "Wraithknight loving a Riptide" but now I have.

Thank you, HiveCommander.

Why would you do something like that? It's one thing to make godawful conversions with a $3 Space Marine, but those two models cost more than $150!

Even Titmarines are still usable on some level as play pieces, but Wraithknight loving Riptide is just... words fail me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

I don't have a problem with "animals as humans" in general, but the furry term just has... negative connotations to it. The negative being you like to gently caress animals.

Something like Brushfire / Mousegard / etc is pretty awesome... the old Redwall theme. But Brushfire is about cat Napoleon fighting German hamster berzerkers while Spanish Mousekateers shoot into the whole mess, and isn't creepy.

The difference is one group are animals with human characteristics (Mouseguard, Redwall, Brer Rabbit etc etc) and the other are humans with animal characteristics. The former has a fine tradition in our cultural norm, the latter is just associated with internet squick.

There were some pretty charming Mouseguard-style miniatures that Reaper(?) put out a while back. Cute and absolutely not-creepy whatsoever.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
They released a bunch of other stuff today. The Warlords look really awesome:

There's still 189 of them left in stock

This one on the other hand, sold out in a matter of hours (I got an update sometime in the night, by the time I woke up it was gone)

Sex sells really well. Makes me wonder why I make robots and spaceships. I would be on top of my own miniature empire right now had I gone down the T&A route.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Because by your own admission you can't sculpt organics? :v:

Have you seen my totally not a Disney princess model? (In fairness I made the quote before I tried my hand at sculpting her)

Also to the guy further up. The problem with Dongbot is the 'Dong'. If it was titbot or assbot I'm sure I would be making mad bank on it now.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 25, 2014

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

A palate cleanser, as this is something I would probably totally do if I got back into 40k:

Does anyone have a source or DiY for this? I see land raider tracks and a Leman Russ glacis but I wonder if the rest is scratchbuilt.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheInvisiblePooka posted:

Someone's going to have to explain why you would want chromed out plastic minis. I can only assume GW did this as a means to get more money out of unknowing hobbyists.

Also, chrome out your necrons. Bonus points for Harley-Davidson gear.

The worst thing about chromed plastics is that it is superficial only. Meaning all the sprue connection points remain bare plastic when you snip the parts out. You can't even use the chrome as a base layer since you need to touch all those bits up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

I know in some of the terminator movies they use a spray on metal suspension called Alclad (or similar to it), which you can get from most good model stores. It's not quite chrome level, but it buffs up to a really shiny finish that's way better than regular metallic paints.

Alclad is supposed to be as chrome as you can get with model paints. When I frequented Gundam/figure modelling forums everyone there swore by it. Probably not the best for wargaming though as it is supposedly quite fragile.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

You have to put a led in sword and wire it to a power source in the base? Amazing, that's what it is.

More than that - the sword is almost certainly custom cast in clear resin.

Is the unicorn from GW?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

Who is the manufacturer then?

Urban Mammoth, formerly known as I-Kore. They used to make Void and Celtos.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

Those are Kobolds from Super Dungeon Explore.

They are quite cute when painted well.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Both of these are painted better than 75% of the stuff in the painting thread. Weird subject matter but not really terrible.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ineptmule posted:

That's a pretty neat idea for a display base, and I imagine would be quite simple to do.

He could have made the central support with the clear liquid material as well and it would have been perfect. Probably not as structurally sound though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

He posts on /tg/, those teeth were individually sculpted out of epoxy. He's just really good.

It looks very much wip. There's still some bare armature showing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

Every thread containing discussion of Warhammer, 40K, GW games, miniatures games, minis, dice, or games must become the Death Pool thread. It's inevitable and unstoppable, like the heat death of the universe.

I bought 5 Eternal Liberators to test out metal techniques. They're good for something at least!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Renfield posted:

Convergence of Cryss infantry / heavy infantry are painted as all metal (mine are mostly brass and bronze), better models, have a ruleset that actually Works and you won't be giving GW money.

I personally dislike a lot of the PP aesthetic and sculpting style. Their metal models suck major balls and are uniformly terrible to paint and assemble. I tried the PP ruleset before and found it very gamey - I personally would play minis for the simulationist aspect. If I wanted to CCCOMBBOOOOO the poo poo out of my enemies I will stick to MtG.

Having said that I don't really play anything these days so pretty much everything I buy is based 100% on how much I like the look of them and unfortunately, PP ranks much lower than GW for me in this regard.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

"Tyrant-san, Hivemind-sensei is away, but don't be sad, I can be your koibito!"

On unrelated, more pathetic news:

Apparently some people were arguing how celestially animated warrior spirits/spirit animated armor/whatever the celestials are can blow a horn with a metal mask - and it turned out that the painter had missed the chin opening, and painted it gold.

drat them all.

EDIT: Lol, heraldor.

I spy wiv my widdle eye something beginning with C!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

You forgot that they're selling to people like me people with money and no talent, so it looks awesome enough.

Then you buy a Baneblade and glue the tracks flat on the front.

And yes, I will be surprized if Sigamarites turn out to be flesh and blood. Then again, maybe they're stated to be that already, I just haven't mustered the will to look at the fluff at all.

Aren't the Stormcasts supposed to be golems or something? Or are they going to go Dragon Age on this and say they're humans sealed into armour and broiled alive with molten metal poured inside. Sort of like, you know, casting miniatures.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Reset by Peer posted:

See, female Catachan troops wearing tank-tops would be fine, because it would fit the theme, seeing how Catachan men go shirtless half the time. But in Retribution of Scyrah army capes, shawls, and turtlenecks seem to be the norm. And let's face it, boob window has no combat utility. The sole purpose of that particular costume design is for titillation.

Here is a "pro painted" Stormfront Lanternal and his weird dog:

Check out the amazing blending on the cape (blue table painting quality):

It can be yours for $90 US bucaroos, plus $10 for shipping.

Here is a "PRO PAINTED" Ogre... I think...

Well the model he modded it off has a tank top, but I suppose he was good enough to sculpt the cogwheel collar, he could've done a proper collar and shirt.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

spectralent posted:

No the spider jams a hand into people and puppets the corpse around as a lure. I mean that's a bit :stare: but "Weird hand-spider" is a cool surreal horror thing. Just we had to have tits because of course.

Titty lure aside, that thing is a very creative and well executed model, too bad its probably gonna snap in a million places at the first sign on trauma, plastic or not. It just doesn't look very practical as a gaming piece.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I'm just having a good time picturing what other things you could convert it to hold as a lure.

Anime body pillow

Fleshlight

A flatscreen that's got a browser open to the KD website on it

Cheetos and mountain dew

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
When they rotated the right handed gun even flexible 3d modelling physics failed and the hand popped out of the socket.

I remember the Equilibrium guy in a similar pose though, so in some way it must be physically possible, just not exactly like this?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Are the KD Monster rules available anywhere? Is it actually playable, or just an afterthought to the sexualized horror minis?

Someone's scanned pretty much everything in the box apart from the minis and they are available if you know where to look.

By all accounts a decent game with lots of RNG fuckery and the aforementioned tonal whiplash - it's not as pervasive as you might expect, but it's really jarring when you run into it. If you got rid of the random scatological humour and cheesecake it actually looks like it'd make a pretty decent Dark/Demon Souls + Monster Hunter Simulator. The game mechanics look interesting enough.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pierzak posted:

Nah, can't be arsed :v: 99% of boardgames have the basic rules officially available free online, so figured it'd be the case.

Speaking of cheesecake, you know how most Kingdom Death female minis have very wide "birthing" hips? Recently (shortly before the Monster release) they released some changelog wrt their mini range, one of the points was that they improved the female figure. Guess what. They made them even wider, apparently it wasn't obvious before that they're someone's fetish. :doh:

I bet the creator has got posters from Hyung-tae Kim all over his room. That guy's art is the logical conclusion of this fetish.

I got so much crap about 'thunder thighs' when I released my very first Battlesuit, I'm kinda annoyed birthing hips gets him mega sales instead. Should have put tits on my models :doh:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

ExtraCheese posted:

That game seems like it has some pretty good unspiration material.

At least with some of the other titty stuff that gets posted here you can say they were technically good sculpts. This one just looks like a female Kermit with tits.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

If you want conscripts, just paint them as Italian blackshirts! :v:

I'm sure there was a WWI Italian general that would work with the "Send in the next wave" rule.

Hey, the squatshitter has open turret/driver's position for some reason.

Don't forget that the huge gun has a cooling vent which points directly into the cockpit. Great job, GW! :downs:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

People always say that Super Clean will cause your fingers to look like they just opened the Ark of the Covenant or whatever, but I've never experienced anything like that, even without gloves. I wouldn't let my hand soak in it for a minute or anything like that, but how long do you really need to fish out your minis?

Allergic contact dermatitis is a thing and not everyone gets it. Some people are just more sensitive to it, and once you're sensitised you're gonna suffer from it every time you touch the stuff. The more contact you have with it the more likely you are to become allergic.

I doubt it could saponify the fat in your fingertips from brief contact, and if it did you'd probably do more than post on SA.

Re: gloves try where possible to use the nitrile/vinyl gloves rather than latex. Some chemical compounds can pass through latex (most notably resins)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

why yes, that is a bit of dead crab

I've seen photos (and WiPs) floating around of someone who used dragonfly wings for their tyranids. From real live dragonflies.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

it's impressive that he manages to keep the dragonflies alive

Had to freeze them or wings were too fragile otherwise IIRC. It might have been the tiger femmarines guy actually.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

What drives more people insane, counter trimming, or trying to understand the rules?

Some people get really worked up about making sure their counters have nicely rounded corners.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

The best thing anyone could do for battletech is reboot it, throw out literally all the battletech art that was ever produced and then hire artists that don't know anything about battletech.

The newer generation of artists (flying debris, Xarbala here on SA) actually produce very good art. It's a shame they would actually take years to re-imagine all the poo poo that has built up in the 80s though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frobbe posted:

speaking of abominations, have this carefully curated image:

i count 11 land raiders,6 predator tanks and at least 12 razorbacks, plus whatever else has snuck its way into that thing.

There is/was an entire forum dedicated to builds like these. There were tutorials on how to create your very own franken-landraiders.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Saw this guy in the flesh in a small game store in Singapore. I can confirm it looks just as awesome as the photos.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

There's a wonky charm to them. Those blocky old lineart drawings capture a nostalgic time and a place for me, same as the old lineart you'd see in D&D and Warhammer rulebooks.

Except that the old John Blanche artworks are actually you know... really good?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Amphigory posted:

OK, I finally finished stripping the paint off this marine!

He spent a good while in nail varnish remover, which pretty much melted all the plastic, and got rid of most of the paint (middle photo)

I then put him in Dettol for another few weeks. Took him out today and gave him a good scrub (rightmost photo). There's still a tiny bit of blue on him - it just will not come off. I have no idea what 13 year old me painted him with to basically weld the blue paint onto him!

I now have a load more miniatures soaking in Dettol...

If you're stripping metal look for plastic weld/dichloromethane on eBay or your local hobby shop. Strips acrylics in minutes.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Amphigory posted:

Thanks guys. I have about 10 guys sitting in Dettol now, but back at my Mum's I have loads of marines and orks, and if there's a quick and less stinking way to strip them I'm all for it

Don't put anything plastic in it or it will dissolve as well!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

So finding 15mm Hueys is a bitch, so someone has put these beauty's on ebay.

Badly painted yes, but not the worst the tread has seen, and only £20 for 6! wait....

They are converted pencil sharpeners!

The worst part is part of me wants to buy them and see how much work it would be to convert them into usable models. I'd have to figure out how to make a flight stand though.....

Unscrew the blade and stick some brass rod into the screw hole? You could even thread the rod and screw it right in!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Never understood why GW didn't just make truescale marines and double the price. There would be enough nerds out there who would replace their entire armies with them.

They could even release a single model to test the waters before they go whole hog with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wayback posted:

Crosspost! Think of this as life sized modeling, from Russia.

I love this little guy

Think you got the wrong thread. Awesome stuff goes in the other one.