Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

This thread is something a little different. I thought people might be interested in how a firearms enthusiast's perspective shaped the process of developing next-gen laser tag hardware. That's how I've spent most of the past several years of my professional life: in the fake gun industry.

We made - from scratch - a new next-gen laser tag system that couldn't have been done (not feasibly anyway) even just 5 years sooner. It plays like a live-action online multiplayer game, because not only is everything wireless, the "game server" knows everything in realtime. It's been described as real-life Halo. This opens gameplay and game design doors like you wouldn't believe, because it allows more and better feedback. (I'll get back to that.)

Here is a screencap from a "King of the Hill" test game. Two gopro cameras, one on each team. Click it to go to youtube.
Everything is processed and streamed live from the game to spectators - including the stats overlaid on the video. (The ^^^ means they are now King of the Hill. An X means the camera'd player just bit it.)

The system is called the Battlegrounds Live Gaming Experience. I developed the core (i.e. shooty) technology and work with some really smart people making it into a whole system. It is currently Beta testing in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Back-to-back glitch-free games are being played by strangers and we are on track for launch.

But I'm not really here to do the marketing angle. If you want that then follow on Facebook and/or Twitter. You can go to the company's site here as well.

I'm posting because I was reflecting on and wanted to share - with you, a gun subforum with an vibrant videogame thread and stickied Airsoft and Paintball threads - how much I realized that design was deeply influenced not just from multiplayer online games and paintball/laser tag/airsoft - but influenced from actual, meaningful experience with real firearms, target shooting, and shooting sports. Certainly many decisions were shaped by other things, but the "firearms enthusiast" influence is there at just about every step of the way.

I can break those design things with clear influence into three broad categories:
  • Experience - this is the "look and feel" of things. How the guns feel to shoot and how you feel while using them, and how it affects how it feels to play the game. A lot fits under this heading but I'm going to narrow down to:
    • The guns look good (they ride that line between the raw form-follows-function of real guns, but they also don't look like a toy out of the 80s or 90s.) There is not a single wire, not even a tether between the vest and gun.
    • The guns feel good (i.e. the ergonomics are good) There is force feedback in the guns, but focusing on the 'real guns influence' part: you can actually comfortably hold, shoulder, aim, and fire the guns and use the sights. This was a bigger deal than it sounds.
    • The guns sound good - we put a huge emphasis on the sound system in the guns. Not only is the sound fidelity good (and projects mainly forward when shooting) but they can go almost TOO loud. The sound in the youtube videos really doesn't do it justice. No tinny little speakers here.

Side note: most sci-fi concept artists - while talented and with an eye for what looks cool, I have nothing bad to say about them - actually kinda don't know poo poo about firearms and draw up stuff that would be uncomfortable or impossible to actually hold, aim, or fire.

• Accuracy - The sights actually work and you'll actually hit what you aim at. This one is huge and not just because existing laser tag stuff tends to have janky accuracy. From square one the design philosophy for the shooting system was "If your sights are on target and you shoot, you will hit. If your sights are off target and you shoot, you will not hit. Any other result is bullshit."
    • This was easier said than done because the guns use infrared light (for all our next-gen-ness, the more things change, the more they stay the same!) and shooting light acts in unusual ways.
    • Getting that accuracy result at all effective ranges in a game was a nontrivial problem, but we did it because the following is always true when you're shooting anything: aiming true but missing (or a hit from something that wasn't aimed true) is bullshit.
    • Actually having sights that are zeroed and being able to aim and accurately shoot allows higher level play. Think of target shooting, any shooting sports, paintball/airsoft/other laser tag, or multiplayer shooter games: If your guns only shoot sorta-kinda-that-way at best and hits are registered "usually", the game isn't capable of anything more than just casual use.

• Feedback - When it comes right down to it, everything comes down to increasing player feedback. This is most obvious in the features shown in multiplayer shooters. Just about every feature not related to Experience or Accuracy comes down to making it easier for players to quickly and easily know what is happening in the game and especially as a result of their own actions. We help this along in several ways:
    • The game server knows and controls all (like in online games) and can track scores, achievements, etc as well as meta-game state.
    • In multiple different ways the guns react to shooting and the vests react to getting shot.
    • Nice big, bright, crisp display screens on the guns that are easy to read and use showing ammo, shield, health, etc.

I want to sum that up by explaining the first time I really, truly knew we were doing the right things. The separate parts came together beautifully. It was the first time using working guns and vests I had put so much work into designing. They were early prototypes with bare minimum features, but they were working.

I put on a vest while the founder (who had, a long time ago sat in my kitchen pitching an idea to me) was behind me. Everything was powered up and he shot me in the back. I heard the gun's (loud) report and my vest flashed while the vibration feedback in the middle of my back (where he shot me) went off. My brain instantly felt "He shot something, and I got hit by it."

Probably you had to be there, but even that bare minimum of working features drew everything together. I'm convinced that without the design choices made thanks to an intersection of experience with real firearms and shooting sports, it would have been like every other laser tag I have ever played: he pushed a button and his score went up / mine went down.

I'll repeat myself a little as conclusion: I'm posting because I was reflecting on and wanted to share - with you, a gun subforum with an vibrant videogame thread and stickied Airsoft and Paintball threads - how much I realized things were deeply influenced not just from multiplayer online games and paintball/laser tag/airsoft - but influenced from actual, meaningful experience with real firearms, target shooting, and shooting sports. Certainly many decisions were shaped by other things, but the "firearms enthusiast" influence is there at just about every step of the way.

If any of you have any questions - fire away.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Well poo poo, I'd play it.

What kind of range do you get on your stuff? This seems like it'd be a lot of fun to roll out and do in the woods somewhere without all the bullshit paintball requires

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

This looks like a riot. How durable are the guns? I played lasertag as a kid and most of them felt like the guns you'd get with an arcade game. Do they hold up well?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

What kind of range do you get on your stuff? This seems like it'd be a lot of fun to roll out and do in the woods somewhere without all the bullshit paintball requires

This brings up another thing that real guns experience figured into. I'll get to that in a moment.

The indoor test arena is max 50m or so. The guns work accurately throughout but are capable of more. It's all indoors right now but outdoor use was actually the original use case when I started designing - outdoors is all around a harsher environment and ranges are longer on average. So the work done for outdoor use is there even though it's not a focus right now.

Back to a real guns connection: there's more that figures into actual use than just effective range. Real gun shooting sports showed me that if a person can hit a moving target at 25m it means they have been practicing. To hit a stationary target at 50m they need to know how to properly use sights.

So iffy shooting and hit performance of a bad laser tag system can coast right past the notice of a casual shooter. We made ours to be able to be shot accurately at all ranges. Novices may not take full advantage of what our equipment can do, but more skilled players certainly will (and they rapidly hit the ceiling of a crappy system.)

DJExile posted:

This looks like a riot. How durable are the guns? I played lasertag as a kid and most of them felt like the guns you'd get with an arcade game. Do they hold up well?

Yeah, most of the stuff out there is like what you'd get at an arcade game but we paid a lot of attention to not just look and feel but also durability. Our prototypes have taken a lot of (ab)use and kept right on tickin'. e: Even though they are pre-production prototypes, and all 3D printed.

Just an an example: the very first games being run were at a Toronto Maker Faire. This is our software guy just beginning to get mobbed by kids while trying to get things up and running. The booth is still being set up, the doors aren't even open yet. These are kids from organizers, etc. That crowd only grew and never went away.

The system's not aimed just at kids, but it was 100% stuffed full of kids rotating through the entire day. A whole day of the guns and equipment being handled by 8-12 year olds while they had fun.

As far as first "stress tests" go a shitload of kids playing with your stuff all day long is a pretty good one and the guns just sucked it up.

The kids self-organized really well by the way, the system of rotating in/out so everyone had a turn was all done by the kids themselves.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 27, 2014

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I was never into this kind of stuff but that looks rad as hell.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Looks awesome, I'd give it a whirl.

Juice
Jun 19, 2002

When do you beta test the bayonets?

Also looks cool

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Would play. That sounds rad as hell.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Holy poo poo, man.

That looks awesome. I just noticed the other Tactical Laser Tag place opening up locally and thought it was neat that they had more realistic guns.

But your system can blow them away.

Edit: do you guys have multiple form factors for the guns? Are they customizable?

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 27, 2014

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Juice posted:

Also looks cool

When I was in high school a friend and I tried to create a laser tag system with Arduinos that incorporated a buttstroke with padded stocks. Our chronic lack of gumption meant that we never got past a prototype LED and receiver that worked from ~2 feet away.

I would play the poo poo out of this, it seems like exactly what we dreamt of creating. But you know, implemented by competent people with actual skills.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Juice posted:

Strictly a bring your own bayonette (BYOB) basis at the moment

DrakeriderCa posted:

That looks awesome. I just noticed the other Tactical Laser Tag place opening up locally and thought it was neat that they had more realistic guns.

But your system can blow them away.

Edit: do you guys have multiple form factors for the guns? Are they customizable?

Thanks! And right now we only have the rifle form factors, but we do have a pistol/smg form factor planned. Works the same but more easily handled and fired one-handed. Some people prefer that.

I should check out the Tactical Laser Tag place you mention. I'm here but "Battlegrounds Live Gaming Experience" is in Toronto (I work remotely) so despite having developed the core tech I'm the staff member with by far the least hands-on time. Crazy, I know!

TopherCStone posted:

When I was in high school a friend and I tried to create a laser tag system with Arduinos that incorporated a buttstroke with padded stocks. Our chronic lack of gumption meant that we never got past a prototype LED and receiver that worked from ~2 feet away.

It's never been easier to put together hardware to proof a concept or make some functional hardware prototypes. When *I* was in high school, compared to what's available today, what *I* played with was barely tinker toys by comparison.

If you made a prototype of buttstroke-sensor laser tag guns, even with a 2 foot range, you are Tony Stark compared to what I was doing in high school.

quote:

I would play the poo poo out of this, it seems like exactly what we dreamt of creating. But you know, implemented by competent people with actual skills.

Thanks for the compliments, it's encouraging to hear that it looks like fun. After so long in development you kind of need the occasional sanity check from outside perspectives to verify that you're not just drunk on your own kool-aid. We got a bit of that with the first group game we hosted - the players were the staff of a company that does some work for us. It was the first "real" game with strangers. After the game, everyone was super pumped and we had two of their developers straight up ask if we're hiring. It felt really good to see and hear how well it went.

Random image - prototype shells assembly in the shop.

Here's a new video from yesterday night - a 2 on 2 Deathmatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta5h6Yj6fWY#t=126s That link is spooled up to ~2:05 where the two guys with gopros are actually 1 on 1 with each other. It's kind of neat because you can't watch both feeds at once. Normally "gun camera" videos are pretty boring because most of the time it's not exciting to watch someone's POV unless something's clearly going on. But with the dual video feed and the data overlay, you as a viewer actually have a lot of context. (Again, we come back to "better feedback = better experience".)

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 28, 2014

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

What do you plan to be the business model of your idea? Replace laser tag arenas, corporate events, dedicated parks?

I'm super in support of nex gen laser tag, so i'd LOVE this to expand as rapidly as possible. I'm just curious how you guys plan to do so.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

quote:

i'd LOVE this to expand as rapidly as possible.
So would I!

Crunkjuice posted:

What do you plan to be the business model of your idea? Replace laser tag arenas, corporate events, dedicated parks?

We are currently running games with working hardware. We will open a facility which will accept walk-ins and bookings in Toronto, just like existing laser tag places (or paintball places for that matter.) That is happening "soon".

We are planning a crowdfunding campaign for early access and to raise money so we can launch better. In other words, fundraising to have more features at launch instead of having to wait to implement them. Some things are just more expensive to develop and launch than others, if we can raise additional money we can launch them sooner. That will happen "real soon".

If anyone wants to keep in the loop for developments, follow on Facebook and/or Twitter, that's where the newest stuff hits first.

Range testing outdoors during early hardware development. That panel standing up in my trunk is a sensor array for logging conditions and results.
That's a Bushnell 10x40 mildot scope being used for sighting

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I just want you to take me under your wing and teach me everything

This looks pretty drat fun.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

DrakeriderCa posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention. Our guns have railllllz so sights and so on are customizable. Everything sports red dots, EOTech knockoffs I think. Like in this photo from the OP:

We had experimented with built-in red dots like below in earlier prototypes:

Built-in as part of experimenting with getting the ergonomics right - remember that the screen for the guns is there too so ergos was a little challenging - but in the end we made things work with rails.

Butch Cassidy posted:

I just want you to take me under your wing and teach me everything
This looks pretty drat fun.

I'd love my ego to soak this up, but I should point out that I was still only a part of what was needed to make this happen. I am a tech guy. The founder is a business guy with a strong sense of purpose and excellent technical understanding. There is a software guy to deal with the harsh realities of designing and making the unimaginable complexity of a real-time game system that interfaces to physical events. Also the guys who do the designing of the guns, the 3D modeling, the iterations, the many failures... I could go on forever. And all this time, you're burning capital so you need money, too.

I've heard it said that hardware development is just like software, except that compile times are measured in weeks and cost . It's completely true. What's also true is something Amanda Wozniak said: "When you have something working, you are 15% done and the fun part is over."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

There is the crusty old Mainer who drinks Black Velvet and diet Canada Dry like water with the bitchin' wood shop in his barn that I love to hang with and just listen to him talk outdoor furniture and cast iron cookery.

Or my late grandfather and logging/horse training/dog training.

I just love being around enthusiastic craftsmen and letting them show me things. Like my retired pickle guy whose canning ramblings are dearly missed. Just put up with my questions now and then as I sit in the corner with a cocoa and this face

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh MAN I wish I had the money for a road trip to Toronto for this. drat mountains and boring flat provinces are in my way, and school starts up again in a few days...

This is REALLY cool. Is it just the one SMG-ish gun, or are there other types available/going to be available in the future?

EDIT: am a stupid, didn't read all the posts carefully enough

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...

Kazinsal posted:

Oh MAN I wish I had the money for a road trip to Toronto for this. drat mountains and boring flat provinces are in my way, and school starts up again in a few days...

This is REALLY cool. Is it just the one SMG-ish gun, or are there other types available/going to be available in the future?

Yeah this'd be perfect for a TFR goonmeet. Totally willing to fly up from New Orleans.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Mister Sinewave posted:

Thanks! And right now we only have the rifle form factors, but we do have a pistol/smg form factor planned. Works the same but more easily handled and fired one-handed. Some people prefer that.

How much real estate do the actual functioning bits take up now anyway, I'm pretty much picturing a laser diode and breadboard the size of an MP3 player stuck in a rifle clamshell

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The electronics are as small as they need to be at the moment, which is another way of saying they take up all the space they can get! Which is pretty typical for new hardware. It will get smaller. One reason things are large is that it makes them easier to work on and develop.

Some parts can't realistically get any smaller. The color HALO-assault-rifle-style HUD screen takes up a certain non-reducible amount of space, so does the large vibration motor for force feedback and the electronics needed to drive it. The sound system requires space too, including a certain amount of actual empty space speakers need to work properly. And so on.

The devil is always in the details, and solving those little problems are a huge part of things and have an impact on space used as well. For example a huge motor driving a weight then stopping it on a dime (i.e. the force feedback motor that you can actually feel) is ridiculously noisy and dirty and uncivilized in electrical terms. It needs to be kept away from the other poo poo (like the wireless stuff & the high-speed signals) just like you keep a high school punk band away from the library.

It's typical for new hardware to be only as small as it needs to be because miniaturizing before you have to is premature optimization, which is the kiss of death for any kind of product development. That's one reason experienced people are useful, because they have been-there-done-that experience that allows them to skip steps sometimes, saving development time and money.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 28, 2014

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

If you want a franchise in Edinburgh (the one that is the capital of Scotland) then message me, I work with people who develop and host "new" activities for corporate events / stag parties / birthdays / teambuilding things - like dodgeball, bubble football, archery tag, etc., this looks amazing and would definitely sell

100% serious post

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

This is really really cool, and would make for some amazing force-on-force training.

We had a place here locally (zombie themed, ugh) that had a low-light simunitions shoothouse with some custom reactive targets (dummies on a frame/pully assembly that dropped the dummy when you shot it) that also did force-on-force, and it was fun as hell, but they went out of business after a little over a year due to the ongoing costs. Something like this would have been perfect for them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Clamps McGraw posted:

If you want a franchise in Edinburgh (the one that is the capital of Scotland) then message me, I work with people who develop and host "new" activities for corporate events / stag parties / birthdays / teambuilding things - like dodgeball, bubble football, archery tag, etc., this looks amazing and would definitely sell

100% serious post

You don't have PMs, but fire me an email at donp@battlegrounds.net and I'd be happy to hear from you.

CommanderApaul posted:

We had a place here locally (zombie themed, ugh) that had a low-light simunitions shoothouse with some custom reactive targets (dummies on a frame/pully assembly that dropped the dummy when you shot it) that also did force-on-force, and it was fun as hell, but they went out of business after a little over a year due to the ongoing costs. Something like this would have been perfect for them.

Thanks for the link, that place looks interesting. I like the idea they have of fun and games themed shooting sports with simunitions, avoiding many of the issues with Real Guns.

Setting up one of the scoreboards

Some stats from the last game night
Total shots fired: 27,238
Successful hits: 7,508
Overall accuracy: 27.5 %
Friendly fire hits: 804 (no damage, but we counted them)
Overkill hits: 2,673 (shots on players who were already dead. Better safe than sorry!)
Deaths: 259
Preferred weapon: Assault Rifle (42523 damage total)

Across 64 minutes of game time, 27,238 shots = 425 per minute = 7 shots per SECOND.

I sort of want to add a "27,238 rounds fired, or roughly $8,192 imaginary dollars worth of imaginary ammo"

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2014

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Thanks for the link, that place looks interesting. I like the idea they have of fun and games themed shooting sports with simunitions, avoiding many of the issues with Real Guns.

They unfortunately closed last fall, but they haven't really updated their website to reflect it. But they had simunitions conversions for a shitload of handguns, as well as a couple 12-ga and some ARs. Towards the end, they allowed people to bring in their own AR since the conversion is a drop-in bolt, which was also really neat for training purposes.

But yeah, economy of simunitions and the fact that they were waaaaay out in the boonies kept them from doing the business they really should have been able to do. The couple times the wife and I went, she had a blast, and she hates going to the range.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Convert these to infrared for grenades.

http://www.brite-strike.com/tactical-balls.html

Could probably fabricate something like it with a 3d printer.

Edit: oh wait, they do have have IR ones. Nice, I didn't scroll down all the way.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 28, 2014

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mister Sinewave posted:

Some stats from the last game night
Total shots fired: 27,238
Successful hits: 7,508
Overall accuracy: 27.5 %
Friendly fire hits: 804 (no damage, but we counted them)
Overkill hits: 2,673 (shots on players who were already dead. Better safe than sorry!)
Deaths: 259

Obligatory NYPD joke

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Steeltalon posted:

Convert these to infrared for grenades.

http://www.brite-strike.com/tactical-balls.html

Could probably fabricate something like it with a 3d printer.

Edit: oh wait, they do have have IR ones. Nice, I didn't scroll down all the way.

Hah, for a little bit I was thinking the same thing when I saw those. Rolling grenades on the ground instead of throwing them is an interesting idea. I think you're right that it would be easier to make your own than to convert something else.

infrared35 posted:

Obligatory NYPD joke

I'm interested to the stats of future games. I wonder if ~30% accuracy is typical.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Seems reasonable. A vanishingly small amount of actual gun users actually do any move and shoot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Not-great gif video cap of the gun's HUD. Ergonomics of the gun vs mounting of gopro cameras means they don't normally get captured on video.

One source of inspiration was the assault rifle in HALO. But most of us don't have a camera in our chin/cheek/neck so it rarely shows up on POV video.

The shooter gets shot himself right at the end of the loop (if you watch closely you see a flash and the shields drop).

The screen is super bright, sharp, clear, and responsive. We're very proud of it. It was one of the first features I did a quick tech demo for. It was a huge hit and was set in stone as a must-have feature right from square one.

Anything that 1) is cool, and 2) helps the players more easily understand the game state. The better and more intuitive the feedback, the better the gameplay.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

How do you reload? Do you hold down a button to simulate a mag change or does it just reset automatically after a couple seconds.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Steeltalon posted:

How do you reload? Do you hold down a button to simulate a mag change or does it just reset automatically after a couple seconds.

That's a simple answer with a slightly more complex background to it. Short version: You smack the bottom of the magwell to reload. We played with a lot of ideas and tried a lot of things and settled on that - it's intuitive and simple and works great.

It's not very "realistic" (a funny term to consider when you're talking about laser tag, but I *am* taking pains to talk about how real guns and shooting sports influenced things) especially when the electronic guns have no physical need to actually reload. But a multiplayer shooter - whether it's online or live-action - is as much about timing as it is about accuracy. The need to reload (or to allow shields to recharge) plays a large part in the flow of the gameplay.

Reload method is an example of how sooner or later choices of realistic vs enjoyable have to be made.

A story I read once comes to mind. A fellow was designing a flight simulator frame and came to the point where he had to decide how to implement certain details. For example, when you go left/right should you feel gravity pull you in the opposite direction (like when you drive a car and turn) -- which is what most people expect -- or should you get "pushed down into your seat" which is how it actually feels when you fly a plane and bank?

While he was hemming and hawing about this problem, it was his nephew's 10th birthday and he took his nephew and his niece for a plane ride (he was a pilot.)

A few minutes into the flight, the nephew was airsick and barfed. And because the barf-bag in your average privately-owned small-cabin Cessna or whatever is just a clear zip-lock bag (those of you with kids might see where this is going) the niece barfed too after seeing her brother barf into a clear bag.

Anyway, he landed and reflected later on the fact that the kids' experience was 100% authentic/realistic.... and 0% enjoyable.

Now, the choice isn't always one or the other, it's often much trickier. Also I like stories.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Oh poo poo, I never mentioned, did I?

First, watch this guy get totally owned. Make sure your audio is on.

Click for video cued-up to right spot (~2:16): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7i88J7x2Hk#t=136s

The vests have the ability to vibrate on the side that's getting hit, but they also have an electroshock option.

When your shields are getting hit, the vest vibrates. When your shields are gone and your health is getting hit you get shocked instead.

The shocks are perfectly safe (and optional), and are a harmless way to cause some happy fun feedback pain.

It is one of those things people really, really respond to. It's entirely optional but probably 98% of people - men and women - go for it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OK, this just went from to

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Mister Sinewave posted:

Click for video cued-up to right spot (~2:16): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7i88J7x2Hk#t=136s

The vests have the ability to vibrate on the side that's getting hit, but they also have an electroshock option.

When your shields are getting hit, the vest vibrates. When your shields are gone and your health is getting hit you get shocked instead.

The shocks are perfectly safe (and optional), and are a harmless way to cause some happy fun feedback pain.

It is one of those things people really, really respond to. It's entirely optional but probably 98% of people - men and women - go for it.

Holy hell that's awesome!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Never before has a single thread made me regret all of my previous education and employment decisions.

I am so incredibly excited for this. Holy poo poo.

Chill Doomhate
Nov 12, 2013

by Shine

Mister Sinewave posted:

gently caress man, this is the greatest poo poo.

Ever think of doing loadouts or something? Like more armor, slower rate of fire. Less armor, higher rof. No armor, but armor piercing weapons? Might be cool down the line.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

ChillRoommates posted:

Ever think of doing loadouts or something? Like more armor, slower rate of fire. Less armor, higher rof. No armor, but armor piercing weapons? Might be cool down the line.

More powerful weapons can have heavy lead weights in them so they are slower to aim and more physically exhausting to maneuver in general.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChillRoommates posted:

Not empty quoting this. You guys should talk to the PAX Australia organisers - I know we're a long way to come, but there was something like this at last year's event that had constant long queue times to get in to that wasn't a tenth as much fun as this looks.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

YoopShoot 2016: Finally going to Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So basically this is the best gun related thing to come out of Canada since Mr. Garand.

• Locked thread