Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Carl Grundstrom is my sleeper pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Drunk Canuck posted:

Carl Grundstrom is my sleeper pick

I guess his first job as a side character in Fargo didn't work out.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the q announces quebecor gets to keep owning two teams

quote:

Following a recommendation by the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Commissioner, Gilles Courteau, the Board of Governors and the General Assembly of Members unanimously accepted the decision to maintain Quebecor as majority owner of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada and Quebec Remparts. This decision includes a clause prohibiting the two franchises from making trades between them, both directly and indirectly.

http://theqmjhl.ca/qmjhl-unanimously-approves-quebecors-ownership-of-two-franchises/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Here's Pronman's first top-30, which mostly works as a provisional "people to watch" list.

Yikes. Day at 30 and no DeBrincat? Max Jones at 25? That's a weird list.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

aka nobody wanted to buy one of the teams for the price Quebecor would have asked if they were forced to sell. Also Quebecor owns the province.

quote:

This decision includes a clause prohibiting the two franchises from making trades between them, both directly and indirectly.

This is interesting. I wonder how strict "indirectly" is. Like, the Armada trades away some prospects to pick up a key player from Val D'or so they can make a playoff run. 3 years later, one of those prospects is a top 10 player and the Remparts are gearing up for the Memorial Cup. Can they trade for him, or is that considered an indirect trade because at some point in the past he played for the Armada?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think we should refer to him by his full name: Sean "Exceptional Player" Day

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I think we should refer to him by his full name: Sean "Exceptional Player" Day

He's not too bad, but yeah that was a travesty. It's hard to get a read as to what sort of player he actually is because the Steelheads have been so bad with him on the roster. He's never had a teammate rack up more than 52 points over an entire season. He's a really good skater and seems smart as hell, although I'm wondering if he has any real offensive ability in him. His shot sucks. I wouldn't take him top 10 as it stands today, but he's not going to make it to the end of the first round unless he has a horrible season. Then again I thought the same of Kylington, so who knows.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
is matthew tkachuk keith's son?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zamboni Jesus posted:

is matthew tkachuk keith's son?
Yes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

Yikes. Day at 30 and no DeBrincat? Max Jones at 25? That's a weird list.

DeBrincat just missed. He mentioned that there was a wide range of opinions on both Day and Jones, and he leaned negatively on both.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 11, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

DJExile posted:

Yo Hockles are you coming to the Monsters/Griffins game at BG? Because I'll buy the hell out of a beer for you if you are.

I responded to this in my head, but never actually posted.

I won't be attending, as I have to be at work super early the next day, and off-ice officials don't travel with the team. We only work home games. Free tickets for you whenever you want in CLE, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hockles posted:

I responded to this in my head, but never actually posted.

I won't be attending, as I have to be at work super early the next day, and off-ice officials don't travel with the team. We only work home games. Free tickets for you whenever you want in CLE, though.

My man :cheers:

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

It's time for the annual realisation that the EIHL contains hockey players...

Higgins good

Our former GM actually dropped him two seasons back because he wasn't WHL-ish enough. He can do stuff like that though.

Although why THN think he would want to go back to the ECHL, I'm not sure. Most people don't volunteer for pay cuts

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 16, 2015

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

USA Hockey just released the three finalist cities for the 2018 WJC: Buffalo (who had it last time, and seem to be USAH's go-to for hosting international events), Pittsburgh (meh) and St Louis (YES YES loving RIGHTS HOST THIS poo poo HERE!)

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a lock for buffalo nice god must be sleeping too many good things happening there lately

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Run and jump over to the Huntington Center on November 21, as the Toledo Walleye pays tribute to Nintendo Entertainment System’s 30th anniversary with a special theme night celebration. Rivals Toledo and Ft. Wayne will face off that night wearing Super Mario Brothers-themed jerseys!

The Walleye will wear Mario-inspired jerseys, while the Komets will wear jerseys inspired by Mario’s arch-nemesis, Bowser. Following the game, both sets of jerseys will be sold during a live auction with proceeds to benefit the Walleye Wishing Well and Adopt America Network.

Minor leagues: the best leagues.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Why does the poser have two Mega Men, then? :argh:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CaptainYesterday posted:

Why does the poser have two Mega Men, then? :argh:

Overall theme is "Nintendo Night", I'm guessing they'll have a bunch of different stuff.

E: and those Cheep Cheeps and fireballs are straight out of mario

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Sam Steel is dope and my favourite Pat since Colten Teubert.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Texas Stars rebrand: Incrementally better than the Dallas one

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

Minor leagues: the best leagues.

I never thought I would entertain the idea of driving 5 1/2 hours for an ECHL game but here we are.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

I never thought I would entertain the idea of driving 5 1/2 hours for an ECHL game but here we are.

I will buy the hell out of a beer for you if you do :cheers:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sonny Milano (technically) returning to Cleveland to play for the Lake Erie Monsters.

Blue Jackets Press Release on Roster Cuts posted:

COLUMBUS, OHIO -- The Columbus Blue Jackets have trimmed 14 players from their training camp roster, Blue Jackets General Manager Jarmo Kekalainen announced today. The moves bring the club’s current roster to 35 players.

The following players were assigned to the Lake Erie Monsters, the Blue Jackets’ American League affiliate – RW Oliver Bjorkstrand, C Alex Broadhurst, D Dillon Heatherington, LW Sonny Milano, LW Nick Moutrey, D Michael Paliotta, D John Ramage, C Lukas Sedlak and C T.J. Tynan. In addition, D Austin Madaisky and D Jamie Sifers were placed on waivers for the purpose of assignment to Lake Erie.

The following players were released from their tryout contracts – LW Antti Pihlstrom, C Dante Salituro and C James Sheppard.

The Blue Jackets, who are 1-2-1 in the preseason, return to action Saturday when they visit the Pittsburgh Penguins. Game time from CONSOL Energy Center is 4 p.m. ET. The game will be televised live on NHL Network and re-aired on Sunday at 3 a.m., 2 p.m. and 9 p.m. ET. The game can also be heard on CD 102.5 FM and via the Blue Jackets app. The Jackets will practice on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Nationwide Arena before departing for Pittsburgh.

Milano played for the Cleveland Junior Barons for a bit.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

DOOMocrat posted:

Texas Stars rebrand: Incrementally better than the Dallas one

Might have to get me one of those. Trying to decide if I should get the 12 game package this season or try and make it to 24. I got my schedule changed so I can get to more games this year but not sure if 24 will be too much to keep my wife's interest.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Might have to get me one of those. Trying to decide if I should get the 12 game package this season or try and make it to 24. I got my schedule changed so I can get to more games this year but not sure if 24 will be too much to keep my wife's interest.

I'm debating on getting one, mostly because I already have the old home and away and what do I need three jerseys for?

I'd go with the 12 game plan personally. At 12 games we're going to two games a month, which works well for us. Otherwise you'll have to write off your weekends from now until May.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I still just don't understand how they took an established, well performing team in Manchester and moved it to loving Ontario. The Monarchs were one of the most consistent AHL markets but hey gently caress it, right? The Kings are dumb.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

13 year old girls posted:

I still just don't understand how they took an established, well performing team in Manchester and moved it to loving Ontario. The Monarchs were one of the most consistent AHL markets but hey gently caress it, right? The Kings are dumb.

Because they're the King's farm team and with the AHL establishing a Californian conference, the Kings asked to move Manchester closer to them. It was entirely an NHL decision and had nothing to do with the validity of the team in Manchester. Even the most profitable AHL teams make next to no money (compared to the profits of the NHL team), so it's never a financial winner or loser. It sucks for the fans, but that's about it.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
California sucks. That's my relevant opinion

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Argh why don't the TX Stars and the Phantoms play each other, I want to see what two logjammed defensive prospect systems can do.

Also Philly having a future on Defense is still so weird

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DOOMocrat posted:

Argh why don't the TX Stars and the Phantoms play each other, I want to see what two logjammed defensive prospect systems can do.

Also Philly having a future on Defense is still so weird

I know how you feel. It'd be rad as hell if I could actually see Flyers prospects play in person. At least this year I have hockeystreams.

Philly having a future on defence doesn't seem weird to me since I grew up when they had some great defensive corps.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'm gonna go to Flint Firebirds games and boo every kid who committed to Michigan and then bailed at the last second for the OHL, thus screwing them out of a scholarship spot

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Bradf0rd posted:

I'm debating on getting one, mostly because I already have the old home and away and what do I need three jerseys for?

I'd go with the 12 game plan personally. At 12 games we're going to two games a month, which works well for us. Otherwise you'll have to write off your weekends from now until May.

I like that reasoning. Went ahead and just got single discounted tickets to the opener on the 10th and will chat with the season ticket people while I'm there about it. I also want to check out how the new food service company is doing, the new menu's look a lot better than the crap they had last year. I hope they added some better beer options but that is probably pushing it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

I like that reasoning. Went ahead and just got single discounted tickets to the opener on the 10th and will chat with the season ticket people while I'm there about it. I also want to check out how the new food service company is doing, the new menu's look a lot better than the crap they had last year. I hope they added some better beer options but that is probably pushing it.

Dear God I hope they got more beer selections as well, but like you I'm not holding out any hope.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Bradf0rd posted:

Dear God I hope they got more beer selections as well, but like you I'm not holding out any hope.

Yea, we pre-gamed a lot at the dig pub before games to get a couple good beers and some food in before games the last few years but if they have stepped up their game their I wouldn't mind actually eating food their and not waiting until puck drop to show up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Got my tickets for the first Gulls game on Saturday. Can't wait!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
rob schremp will be playing for portland when the ahl seasons kicks off :allears:

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

fits posted:

rob schremp will be playing for portland when the ahl seasons kicks off :allears:

He played for my team, Skellefteå AIK, last season and the only time you would notice him was during the shootout. He played 3 of 15 games in the playoffs because there are no shootouts there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Gulls bitch :smug:

Was awesome to see the Sports Arena sold out again. Game was fun as heck

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The first National Women's Hockey League games will be streaming for free from their website: http://nwhl.co/cross-ice-pass/

Can we GDT it up in here or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The game hasn't started yet, they've spent a long time announcing the names of all the players. Eventually there will be hockey...

• Locked thread