Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Speaking of beatings:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/schedule/show/game/68146

6 point night for Robbie Fabbri against London.

Nods knowingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, I think we all saw the video of David Leggio pushing the net off its moorings instead of facing a 2 on 0 breakaway. Well, I got an email this morning about a AHL rule change. Instead of facing a penalty shot, if a goalie does that intentionally, they get an automatic game misconduct and the replacement goalie faces a penalty shot.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Hell yeah, Leggio gets a rule named after him forever

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Madbullogna posted:

Holy crap, sorry Checkers dudes. End of the first, and the Stars lead it 5-0. Talk about some good offense, hopefully they can keep it up. Gemel Smith got bitch slapped pretty good, resulting in a match penalty against one of the Checkers. 3:51 powerplay time being carried over.

Edit.... 7-1 end of the second. Geez.
Edit of edits.... Stars take the game 8-2. We'll see if they can repeat that on Monday when they play the Checkers again.

The bottom six of the Checkers are ECHL callups and the Stars are defending AHL champs. Not good for the Checkers, there.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Hockles posted:

So, I think we all saw the video of David Leggio pushing the net off its moorings instead of facing a 2 on 0 breakaway. Well, I got an email this morning about a AHL rule change. Instead of facing a penalty shot, if a goalie does that intentionally, they get an automatic game misconduct and the replacement goalie faces a penalty shot.

they changed this last week, iirc the captain of the non-offending team gets to name the guy to take the penalty shot

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

Hockles posted:

It reminded me of this move by legendary goalie Pekka Lindmark in the final game of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwKDnVAgUZI

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm actually surprised that isn't a rule yet. I remember reading years ago that some goaltender in the 70s would lift the net off its pegs (at a time when they were solid iron pegs and the net weighed far more than it does now) rather than face some forwards on clear cut breakaways. It would still be a penalty shot but knew that forwards scored less frequently on them than on breakaways.

I want to say it was Dryden but I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

fits posted:

they changed this last week, iirc the captain of the non-offending team gets to name the guy to take the penalty shot

Yeah, the original e-mail is dated for Thursday. I just got it forwarded to me this morning.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
Super Series starts tonight at another half-empty Saskatoon arena:
Team WHL vs Team Russia
7pm EST on Sportsnet Pacific, West and East

See the best the WHL has to offer, and keep your eyes peeled for two idiots on the glass with unfunny signs!

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Super Series Lines tonight for the WHL:

Klimchuk-Reinhart-Virtanen
Ully-Petan-Point
Chase-Quenneville-Hawryluk
Baillie-Bleackley-Descheneau

Fleury-Morrissey
Sanheim-Bowey
Heatherington-Hicketts/Theodore.

Comrie .

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Russia's starter made 33 saves and kept the team in it, and now going to the shootout they pull the starter and put in the cold backup.

Brutal.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Pleads posted:

Russia's starter made 33 saves and kept the team in it, and now going to the shootout they pull the starter and put in the cold backup.

Brutal.

11 round shootout! Russian wins 2-1.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Comrie made that save, too, just pushed it over with his own momentum.

Klumchuk and... poo poo, whoever did the dirty dangle in like the 8-9th round were both some slick mitts.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
that game was bullshit they should have dropped the mitts in the 1st

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The Russians started mugging any forward near the crease in the last 10 minutes so I'd expect tomorrow to be some fun hockey.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Heaf posted:

Super Series Lines tonight for the WHL:

Klimchuk-Reinhart-Virtanen
Ully-Petan-Point
Chase-Quenneville-Hawryluk
Baillie-Bleackley-Descheneau

Fleury-Morrissey
Sanheim-Bowey
Heatherington-Hicketts/Theodore.

Comrie .

i knew about joe hicketts from reading corey pronman tweets and so i knew he had a lot of skill and was very small but holy gently caress i never knew he was a defenseman. has there ever been a pro defenseman that small in the modern era?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

a false posted:

i knew about joe hicketts from reading corey pronman tweets and so i knew he had a lot of skill and was very small but holy gently caress i never knew he was a defenseman. has there ever been a pro defenseman that small in the modern era?

Francis Bouillon?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

a false posted:

Torey Krug?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jared Spurgeon, Brian Rafalski, Ryan Ellis, soon to be Vancouver Canuck superstar Jordan Subban.

Hicketts is listed at 5'8" which is technically shorter than all of them, but he doesn't strike me as noticeably smaller than any of them. Still, his odds of making the NHL are slim at best.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Pleads posted:

Comrie made that save, too, just pushed it over with his own momentum.

Klumchuk and... poo poo, whoever did the dirty dangle in like the 8-9th round were both some slick mitts.

John Quenneville? That was particularly dope.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
4 Finnish and 4 Swedish teams in CHL quarter-finals:

All pairs played two games and the winner was the team with better goal difference (penalty shootout if draw).

Next round December 2nd & 9th.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...

Kennel posted:

All pairs played two games and the winner was the team with better goal difference (penalty shootout if draw).
Good on the champions league for picking the most European tournament format in hockey history

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The leg system in soccer is the dumbest thing, bringing it to hockey is even more dumb.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Pleads posted:

The leg system in soccer is the dumbest thing, bringing it to hockey is even more dumb.

Infinitely better than in the previous iteration of CHL though. That thing used a best-of-three system without actually playing the third game if needed but replacing it with a shootout.

So basically one team could win the first game 8-1 and lose the second game 3-2, and they immediately went to a shootout to settle the series. At least using a goal aggregate is fairer, and there's no soccer-style away goals rule to make it more convoluted either (as far as I know).

Of course, I'd much prefer single elimination games or actual best-of-three series instead, but whatever.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 12, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Speaking of dumb, Connor McDavid fractured his hand in a fight (he missed and punched the boards/glass/dasher) and will miss, at the very least, Thursday's Super Series OHL vs Russia game.

Extremely likely also Monday's OHL vs Russia game. Possibly Hockey Canada's WJC camp in early December. Possibly the WJCs themselves.

:magical:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Thufir posted:

Francis Bouillon?

yeah that one

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Here is am accurate description about how I feel/ felt about Monday's game:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
The team I work for in the ECHL, the Ontario Reign, beat Stockton last night 7-1. I really wish Stockton had scored another goal so that we could have beaten them twice in the same week 7-2.

After the game, the staff played broomball on the rink. You want to throw up after 30 minutes of trying to track that thing across the ice. I played goal for about 15 minutes and got a blackeye for it :)

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
It's gonna be pretty hilarious if Joe Hicketts makes the WJC team after being passed over in the draft.

Even if he doesn't, his good showing in the Super Series is great for him, since I'm pretty sure one of the reasons he wasn't drafted was that he wasn't great in the WHL playoffs or the U18s last year (the other reasons of course being his height and missing half the season).

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

toe knee hand posted:

It's gonna be pretty hilarious if Joe Hicketts makes the WJC team after being passed over in the draft.

He'll be a regular Danny Syvret.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
McDavid reportedly to be out 5-6 weeks, with the first game of the world juniors just over six weeks away from today.

Also, Nurse got named Team OHL's captain for the team russia series

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
rockets-winterhawks on sportsnet tonight.

and the rockets are up 3-0 and i don't get how. or how they've been as good as their record. anyone else seen them and can weigh in? i saw them play the victoria royals. they lost in OT. the game i saw, they were utterly dominated in the 1st period but came out of it leading 2-1. after that, play was fairly even and victoria manged to tie it up in the 3rd. and this game on sportsnet has been similar. portland, despite being a pretty bad team this year, has dominated play. how are the rockets as good as they are? they're good on the powerplay, their goalie is good, but 5v5, from what i've seen, they're pretty poo poo. have i just seen bad games, or have they been getting incredibly lucky?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
in addition to being a really good goaltender for the rockets, jackson whistle is also an A+ hockey name

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
From the sounds of the radio broadcast (drat fios provider dropped NHL Network,) seems Whistle is the reason Kelowna is in this game. GO HAWKS!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

toe knee hand posted:

in addition to being a really good goaltender for the rockets, jackson whistle is also an A+ hockey name

He's Dave Whistle's son, which may mean something to you given your interest in UK hockey.

I haven't seen him since he was a little kid but if he's anything like his dad he's awesome, slightly crazed and really, really loving intense.

In non-Scandinavian hockey news, Belfast beat the Belarusian champs Neman Grodno 1-0 yesterday afternoon in the IIHF Continental Cup semi-final, first game. They have to beat either the Ducs d'Angers (featuring the preserved body of JS Aubin) or KH Sanok from Poland in the weekend's two remaining games to make the final. They should really do that- a loss to Sanok in particular would be embarrassing.

If they qualify, the final should be in Ireland, which would be awesome.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Apparently Scherbak got stretchered off tonight. Please be okay. :ohdear:

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism
I went to see Skellefteċ AIK take on MoDo last night which we (Skellefteċ) won quite easily 4-1. During the game the Toronto prospect William Nylander was injured after taking one of his teammates' skates to the head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDqr7DHZ3s
After watching the video it doesn't actually look that bad but you never know with these things.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
NHLCS has put up a big ol' list of players to watch for the upcoming draft. Most notable is 80+ name tool haver Hayden McCool, who is listed as a potential late-mid round pick.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Hand Knit posted:

NHLCS has put up a big ol' list of players to watch for the upcoming draft. Most notable is 80+ name tool haver Hayden McCool, who is listed as a potential late-mid round pick.

Maximillian Kammerer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

The Milwaukee/Iowa game happening right now is dreadful hockey, which shouldn't be surprising seeing how both teams are playing the last game of a 3-in-3. There have been 10 total PP chances, including a 5-on-3 for the Admirals, and it's still scoreless with less than 10 minutes left in regulation.

Uggggghhhhh

e: Welp. :downs:

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 24, 2014

• Locked thread