Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Season Premier is September 24th on CBS!

What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 18 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced.

Glossary of Terms

• Bitter Jury: A jury that is voting against a player rather than for a player. Sometimes there is a perception that a player who "deserves to win" isn't getting votes because they were an rear end in a top hat and viewers/players will be quick to say it was a bitter jury. A bitter jury does not excuse a player who didn't win at Final Tribal Council. The purpose of the jury is to not piss them off so they will be willing to vote for you to win.

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead.

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This Season's Contestants

Keith and Wes (Father and Son)

Keith Nale
Personal claim to fame: My wife and kids.
Pet Peeves: Loafers.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Rudy because I’m older and wiser.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-0WTm47Go

Wes Nale
Personal claim to fame: Becoming a firefighter like my dad.
Pet Peeves: When people have their windshield wipers on and it’s not raining.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Ozzy and Russell Hantz because I’ll dominate challenges and have girls under my wings making them think I will take them to the end.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-0WTm47Go

Dale and Kelley (Father and Daughter)

Dale Wentworth
Personal claim to fame: Watching my kids grow to be responsible adults. After that, being a self-employed farmer all my life and being able to support my family while doing it.
Pet Peeves: People who never return phone calls.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Big Tom…I have to side with a farmer!
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Tp3amXblU

Kelley Wentworth
Personal claim to fame: Moving out of a small town with very little opportunity of “making it” on my own. I’ve never asked for money or help and moved my way up to the position I’m in now. I’ll never stop trying!
Pet Peeves: Lazy people, overconfidence, not sticking to your word, bad drivers and angry people (get over it already!)
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Parvati – she’s a strong, intelligent woman who did what she had to do to get to the top.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Tp3amXblU

Drew and Alec (Brothers)

Drew Christy
Occupation: Traveling Sales Representative in the family business.
Personal claim to fame: I seem to pull off the unthinkable with ease. People will ask me…How did you do that?
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Fabio or Malcolm because they are athletic, smart bros that know how to manipulate people and situations to advance themselves.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxf_MXSc3E

Alec Christy
Personal claim to fame: Going to college and excelling in school and sports. I was very mediocre in high school as far as my performance in the classroom.
Pet Peeves: People who say they don’t like something they’ve never tried.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqxf_MXSc3E

Jeremy and Val (Husband and Wife)

Jeremy Collins
Personal claim to fame: I am proud of making it to the professional indoor football league without playing college football.
Pet Peeves: One-uppers and know-it-alls.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: I always liked JT and James but I think Tyson (the third time he played) is similar to how I would have played.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9NjQmy4xIU

Val Collins
Personal claim to fame: My family.
Pet Peeves: Liars.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Monica and Taj.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9NjQmy4xIU

John and Julie (Couple)

John Rocker
Pet Peeves: Rude, lazy, selfish people and traffic.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Jeff Kent because we have a similar background as an MLB player. We have a strong understanding of teamwork but are also very driven to attain individual success though Jeff is a bit more subdued than I am.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f8iUup3Cyw

Julie McGee
Personal claim to fame: Creating my company True Glow Spray Tan.
Pet Peeves: People that take life too serious, road rage, arrogance and super demanding people.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Colleen Haskell because I think we both are extremely sweet to others around and by this she was able to make allies without being manipulative.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f8iUup3Cyw

Josh and Reed (Couple)

Josh Canfield
Personal claim to fame: Writing and directing my first musical in London and being the first person in my family with a Master’s degree.
Pet Peeves: Idiots, loud Americans in foreign countries, most audition waiting rooms, people who will only see one side of an argument and many more.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: There hasn’t been any one like me. I’m going to pave my own way.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVyM0Gy5pY

Reed Kelly
Personal claim to fame: Having raised over $130,000 for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS to date via my personal fundraising group Team Yellow Bucket. I also cook a really great steak and I am an experienced hugger.
Pet Peeves: Slow walkers on the sidewalks of NYC, exceedingly slow baristas and lazy individuals who don’t utilize the gifts/opportunities they have been given.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Yikes. Hopefully I will be unlike anyone thus far (in a good way), but if I had to pick: Malcolm Freberg and Stephenie LaGrossa for their hyper-competitiveness and athleticism; Bob Crowley for his nerdy science knowledge and ingenuity; and Lisa Whelchel for her faith.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVyM0Gy5pY

Jon and Jaclyn (Couple)

Jon Misch
Personal claim to fame: Winning a big 10 championship at Michigan State University.
Pet Peeves: People with too many pet peeves.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Hayden. I feel my personality is a lot like his and he’s also an athlete that uses his head.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6bp4x9kDIk

Jaclyn Schultz
Personal claim to fame: Winning the title of Miss Michigan USA 2013, the first pageant I ever competed in and using the platform to be the first woman to ever come out with having MRKH syndrome (born without a uterus) on an international scale. MRKH syndrome affects 1 in approximately 4,500 women around the world.
Pet Peeves: Waiting in line
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6bp4x9kDIk

Missy and Baylor (Mother and Daughter)

Missy Payne
Personal claim to fame: My business is a HUGE accomplishment. I was never a cheerleader, never had taken out a loan before 1998 when I opened the doors and certainly had no idea what it would take to be “on” 24x7 with really no “off” hours. I have a new respect for restaurant owners because my business takes blood, sweat and tears just like that profession.
Pet Peeves: People who conform to a standard without knowing the facts, people who play the victim, snoring, poor hygiene, bad teeth, infidelity, valet parking in the Highland Park village.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIdzB3Ccy4

Baylor Wilson
Personal claim to fame: I am most proud of winning the Cheerleading World Championship in 2009 in Orlando, FL with my competitive cheerleading team.
Pet Peeves: My biggest pet peeve is someone who has no passion or desire or goals. Another is probably slow drivers.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIdzB3Ccy4

Nadiya & Natalie (Twin Sisters)

Nadiya Anderson
Personal claim to fame: Being on Amazing race twice, (woohoo) but getting kicked off first (boooooo!)
Pet Peeves: Stupid girls that rely on boys.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: A mixture of Sarah and Cliff
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syaF3Q_ST0o

Natalie Anderson
Personal claim to fame: Being on The Amazing Race twice! Getting kicked off first on All-Stars!
Pet Peeves: Girls who can’t do anything for themselves, lazy people and dumb people.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Tony but hopefully not as insane.
Meet the cast video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syaF3Q_ST0o

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 28, 2014

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Met posted:

This Season's Contestants
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Ozzy and Russell Hantz because I’ll dominate challenges and have girls under my wings making them think I will take them to the end.

:siren: Jerk detected! :siren:

quote:

Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Fabio or Malcolm because they are athletic, smart bros that know how to manipulate people and situations to advance themselves.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

quote:

Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Monica and Taj.

:geno:

quote:

Nadiya & Natalie (Twin Sisters)

Nadiya Anderson
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: A mixture of Sarah and Cliff

Natalie Anderson

Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Tony but hopefully not as insane.

So they only watched last season? Good to know.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

So they only watched last season? Good to know.

That's exactly what I thought.

Also who the hell wants to be like Monica? Whine all game when things don't go your way. Always want to be in control for the sake of being in control. Crying at final tribal council and the jury is more worried about you having a nervous breakdown but are still completely unwilling to vote for you... good god.

There was a pair that didn't have any information for "Survivor you think you're most like." What, have neither of you seen the show before?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Good op, thanks for keeping it noob-friendly.

also, TWINNIEEEEEEEEE

rafington
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe add back in the blurb about the top few recommended seasons, along with a note to ask in the thread if you want more recommendations? I don't think we needed the exhaustive list but the shortlist might be nice so first-timers don't end up watching Nicaragua.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't the poison not only someone you want to lose but more importantly someone you want to stay on the show only to suffer, like a slow poison?

I know people are going to hate on them, but I like the twinnies as the villains you love to hate.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

quote:

Pet Peeves: When people have their windshield wipers on and it’s not raining.
:argh:

Pony: Farmer Dad
Poison: Amazing Race

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

rafington posted:

Maybe add back in the blurb about the top few recommended seasons, along with a note to ask in the thread if you want more recommendations? I don't think we needed the exhaustive list but the shortlist might be nice so first-timers don't end up watching Nicaragua.

Ehhhhhhh we all disagree on those. Usually recommending seasons is a fun mid-week argument to have in-thread.

I think poison is just wanting to see them suffer, period. Seeing somebody think they're a mastermind and then cry as they get voted out is good enough for me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Oh man there is no way I'm going to be able to tell all these blonde girls apart.

Also, great OP. Hits the main points, isn't 27 pages long. 5/5

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I can't wait for Kenny Powers to be on Survivor.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just wanting to confirm, I shouldn't be knowing any of these people apart from the Twinnies yeah?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Apparently a lot of people know John Rocker from Major League Baseball, and he's said some pretty nasty racist stuff.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Since we've got a new thread I'll repost what I added to the previous thread about John Rocker.

For the non-sports fans, a brief sampler:

John Rocker posted:

"So many dumb asses don't know how to drive in this town," he says, Billy Joel's New York State of Mind humming softly from the radio. "They turn from the wrong lane. They go 20 miles per hour. It makes me want -- Look! Look at this idiot! I guarantee you she's a Japanese woman." A beige Toyota is jerking from lane to lane. The woman at the wheel is white. "How bad are Asian women at driving?"

John Rocker posted:

On ever playing for a New York team: "I would retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the [Number] 7 train to the ballpark, looking like you're [riding through] Beirut next to some kid with purple hair next to some queer with AIDS right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing."

John Rocker posted:

On New York City itself: "The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

I could go on, but you get the point.

Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20140528122001/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/cover/news/1999/12/22/rocker/

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

SalTheBard posted:

I can't wait for Kenny Powers to be on Survivor.

John Rocker is a worse human being than Kenny Powers.

Which is pretty remarkable when you consider the fact that the reason Kenny Powers was created was in order for him to be an exaggerated parody of John Rocker.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

San Juan Del Sur is a cool town, I hope they enjoy the little coffee shop where all the expats hang out and the 4 dollar lobster.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Going with Dale as my Pony.

Good shape for 55. Will bust his rear end. Doesn't seem to care how he's perceived after the game. He gives me a real big Tom Westman vibe.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm thinking Keith for my Pony and his son for my Poison.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
My pony is Jeremy and my poison is John because I just want to see him crash and burn.

Also, since I finally finished watching all the previous seasons just after last season ended, I can now roll my eyes into the back of my skull when people say they're going to be like Russell/Parvati/Ozzy.

Edit: This is a very nice OP for newbies, well done.

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 28, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
All these people look horrible. Gonna have a hard time picking a pony this year.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh god drat it, why are the loving twinnies going to be on my tv again?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

IRQ posted:

Oh god drat it, why are the loving twinnies going to be on my tv again?

One bright spot is if they are on separate tribes they can't constantly be yelling "twinnie" at each other, right? right? :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Yea there isn't an immediately obvious choice to root for, like there has been in some past seasons - no Cochran/Spencer/Tony to immediately strike a chord with you.

I do know that I will love to hate that racist sports dude. Maybe a favourite will emerge through someone's behaviour but they all seem to be a bunch of generic athletic folk this season. Cop lady and old farmer are the only people there that don't look like they stepped out of a sports magazine.

I think I'm going to tentatively decide to back the cop.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It seems to be a new trend to have people on reality TV that need the money to have kids. Last season on the Amazing Race it was Brenchel (thank god they didn't win) and now its Miss "I'm born without a uterus".

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I like the mother daughter cheerleaders the best I guess. Missy & Baylor. They seem like the next Laura and Ciera which was an interesting dynamic to me in the last BvW.

Poison for sure that racist turd John Rocker. Give me a break. There's no other side to the story. He must deeply believe that crap for it to get out like it has.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Are they on the same team this time? I can't recall.

On first glance, my ponies are faux-Malcolm and his Waking Life younger bro.

Hm, a lot of white people this season.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Looks like a dud cast but I've been wrong before.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Poison: Literally everyone
Pony: I don't want any of these people to win they all look terrible.

A horrible cast, Exile Island, and the Blood vs. Water gimmick again.

I'm sure I'll still watch at least the first few episodes, but I won't be happy about it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm happy to see Blood vs. Water on a season with no returning players. It might be able to convince idiots to make moves instead of staying loyal at the bottom of a day 1 alliance based on nothing.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Lampsacus posted:

Hm, a lot of white people this season.

Other than Cook Islands and Fiji, 4 POC is the highest amount they've ever willing to go.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Hope the personalities are more disparate than the appearances.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Pony: Farmer Dad's Daughter

Poison: The Christy Brothers. Just look at them.

Lid fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 29, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pony: TWINNNNNIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE

Poison: Baby Firefighter

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh come on Rarity. They're going to be annoying as hell and almost certainly don't know how to play Survivor.

I'm with...

Pony: Dale

Poison: Literally everybody else

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Even Keith poison? He seems just fine to me. Maybe I have bias in favor of the older gentlemen on Survivor.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Met posted:

Even Keith poison? He seems just fine to me. Maybe I have bias in favor of the older gentlemen on Survivor.

He strikes me as the "takes charge too much too soon" type

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I watched China a few weeks ago and was pretty disappointed to see Chicken go first.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Chicken was awful though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
We need more gifs please! I have none to contribute. :smith: