Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Miracon, in the last thread, posted:

As of clearing Orc, I have 7 AC 22 EV and 21 SH, and I'm wearing an amulet of guardian spirit with 3 rings of magical power, one of which is the ring of Qazlal's Wrath {rF+ rC++ MP+9 Dex+1}. I'm looking forward to finding out what can monster can punch through through defenses and 103 HP + 53 MP.

I found the answer, and it turns out it's loving nothing can! And somehow I got the high score for the whole octopode species out of it! :shepface:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/magicpoints/morgue-magicpoints-20140828-070222.txt

code:
37179957 magicpoints the Petrodigitator (level 27, 201/201 HPs)
             Began as an Octopode Assassin on Aug 26, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Aug 28, 2014!

The game lasted 10:25:53 (39341 turns).
Statue form UC and Chei together will apparently murder murder murder almost anything you fight. I was only in real danger 4 times in the run: Spider:5 where ghost moths will wreck you by themselves without rPois or sInv, Vaults:5 and its tsunami of danger from all sides, Geh:7 where Asmodeus and his entourage bring torment and lots and lots of hellfire, and Zot:5 where I got the real bright idea to take an escape hatch into the floor and landed in the middle of a clusterfuck of an orb vault. Statue form became reliable during Vaults:5 and rapidly became a mainstay of combat with its huge bonuses to both offense and defense. Octopodes don't have any armour to meld, so the only downside is the perma-slow. This necessitated careful defensive positioning, doubly so with Chei slowness. The hells were fast and fun, Pan was boring as gently caress, Zot felt hilariously easy (aside from that silly failed orbninja attempt) when reliably two-shotting OOFs and ancient liches.

I'm still in shock that I didn't die on Vaults:5. Nothing quite like seeing the message "You block the orb of destruction." while at 16 HP next to an ancient lich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

pre:
 36496 | Depths:5 | Noticed Neufeitz the pandemonium lord
 36504 | Depths:5 | Paralysed by Neufeitz for 6 turns
 36508 | Depths:5 | HP: 36/171 [reaper/runed scythe[Neufeitz] (26)]
 36509 | Depths:5 | HP: 15/171 [Neufeitz the pandemonium lord (11)]
 36509 | Depths:5 | HP: 7/171 [Neufeitz the pandemonium lord (7)]
 36510 | Depths:5 | Elyvilon protects you from harm!

Crawl's nightmare scenario almost happened. On the orb run I got paralysed and instakilled from almost full HP by a panlord's chaos melee, but got resurrected by god on the very last turn of paralysis. I wasn't using Ely's lifesaving invocation either, so that's sheer luck. :gonk:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

silentsnack posted:

I vaguely remember making a post about this in one of the old threads, so you can blame me for getting it 'fixed'. Recalling the words "mushroom genie" indicates it was whenever those were trunk. It allowed effectively infinite experience for low risk, but that might give mummies an advantage so it had to get ruined. :v:

I'm not sure how you would actually abuse it, since spores don't retreat when ordered to so it's hard to get the spore separated from you. Maybe if you just tanked the explosion and regenerated it away every time but then have fun with your eventual OOD spawns.

Tollymain posted:

couldn't you just make it so that giant spores can't use stairs like zombies
This would be an easy and effective solution, yes, +1 to this.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Brannock posted:

I can't figure out what criteria makes it so that certain monsters will willingly walk through damaging clouds (hill giants) and others won't. It's not Intelligence, hill giants have Normal intelligence. Is it Size?

Their current HP I believe. There is variance to monster HP, so sometimes full HP yaks will walk into clouds and sometimes they will not. If a monster is already in a cloud they will not mind walking through more. I think you could even do something like throw a mephitic cloud at an rPois monster to convince it to walk into a conjured flame cloud. Of course, mindless monsters like zombies won't care and will walk into clouds regardless of their HP.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Can somebody please tell me how streakers avoid the dreaded "failed to kill a single monster when starting from full HP" trap? I see this happen all the loving time and it is so aggravating.

I'm not even talking about foolhardy nontactics like charging blindly at an ogre or a gnoll pack, but poo poo like dying in 1v1 combat with a hobgoblin or an adder. No successful hits, no escape options, just death.

I see other people streak terrible combos like Nemelex's Choices often, so there has to be some secret that I am just blind to. And it had better not be just "pillar dancing" because you can't pillardance fast monsters like adders forever, and because pillar dancing is literally the worst and most tedious thing in the entire game.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Deep Dwarves with vampiric axes are ludicrous. I found the +8 war axe of Truth {vamp, +Blink rF++} on D:4 and proceeded to mash o and tab as fast as I could for the rest of the game. Ever see someone using a war axe in Zot? Using almost no tactics I got the Speed Demon 3 banner with a 2 and a half hour win while almost never being in danger. Look at those huge stacks of consumables! Anything that looked slightly threatening could be berserked to death, and anything that survived could be buried in consumable spam.

It makes a sharp contrast to the Centaur Warper I played a few days prior. Centaurs are overpowered in a tedious way, but Deep Dwarves are overpowered in a hilarious way.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

who is this mysterious little ghost and how can I optimize my play so he appears as often as possible in my games

That sprite is normally used for the remnants of monsters who have been removed, seen in converted saves.

In this case it looks like it was displayed by monster detection divination, which I think only Xom can do. This effect is based on the monster's console glyph, so Xom probably detected a freezing wraith for you. (freezing wraiths have not been removed, to be clear)

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

It's still the same drat thing, probably the biggest difference is that it's a lot easier since you can teleport out of it. Oh and it's locked with a rune door so the dancing weapons don't get out.

I think the HoB vault is too easy, other than the possibility of seeing a deep elf blademaster. Part of this IMO comes from the fact that as a vault the map is just too big. It covers half of the map, dwarfs Elf:3 vaults in size, and causes all the weapons and elves in the vault to be too spread out. You could argue that the size makes random teleportation more risky on Elf:2, but I'd rather just see the vault shrunk in size.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, I guess my real gripe is with the flavor text. Just a quick, "you quickly butcher and then brown a portion of the hobgoblin flesh," keeping the fact that it tastes terrible and is less nourishing for non-saprovores. Then again, I already consider that adventures are unstable, homicidal maniacs best kept away from society. Also, my fantasy worlds have muskets and pistols when I GM games. Getting gutshot by a highwayman is good times.

Actually, I know it's not likely to change, but this makes me realize you probably could just replace the but(c)her command with a (c)ook command. It's the same amount of abstraction to the process, other than the possibility of producing chunks from disintegration or orb of destruction. (Inner flame can get away with it.)

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

Originally the Pan rune levels were gods, for example Cerebov was Okawaru. I forget the rest right now though.

This was true for old, ancient, pre-stone soup crawl. They were gods when Pan was first introduced in Linley's Dungeon Crawl in 1.x or 2.x or whatever, and changed to their modern demon names in the next major version.

(for the record, Cerebov was Okawaru, Gloorx Vloq was Kikubaaqudgha, Mnoleg was Nemelex Xobeh, and Lom Lobon was Sif Muna.)

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I thought clearing only one lung was the sane choice, considering that there might be more ancient liches and OoFs around?

Generally, it is. Zot:5 is among the most dangerous floors in the entire game, and there's little reason to make yourself fight twice as many monsters as you have to. That said in this case you've probably already drawn out most or all of them due to Qazlal's noise.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Ashenzari tells you where zig portals are in pan, right? I went cruising through 50 floors of pan today without seeing any. I want to try out the new megazigs, dangit!

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

This tile_player_tile is every bit as entertaining as I expected it to be. :allears:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I kind of liked the offcentered weapon. I imagined my character as making it levitate just in front of their hand.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Smash Daisaku posted:

Why can player nagas get poisoned? I know that player poison resistance works like that but it seems like player nagas should get a special exception since monster nagas are poison immune. It might help them a little bit early game since early constriction was removed and nagas aren't able to run away from anything.

Monster naga aren't poison immune, just rPois. Nothing of natural holiness has poison immunity. You just can't cause poison status on rPois monsters unless you are casting Poison Arrow.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

LogicNinja posted:

I took my "let's see how far I can zig!" character to... Z:18 on Zig #3. Goddamn it gets hardcore. So many mummies. *so many*. I made the mistake of not getting away to restab right off the bat when my STR dropped to 2, then it hit 0, and apparently Collapse doesn't go away even if you drink RestAb! Oh well I knew I was going to die in that zig, I just wanted to see how hard they get (very). I hope that Haste/Firestorm/Shatter/LCS ghost fucks someone's poo poo up real good.

Sequell posted:

magicpoints the Omniscient (L27 NaWz of Ashenzari) killed the ghost of LogicNinja the Archmage, a legendary DEFE of Vehemut on turn 140544. (Zig:18)

:wave: Hi there, I was also on Zig+2. I found you on a spider floor, so I made sure to glaciate the hell out of you before the ghost moths could see me.

Miracon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

Does the same player ghost show up more than once, or am I misreading this? I thought a particular ghost was gone for good once nuked.

Nope, it's gone forever if killed or if you skip the floor. The only way a ghost can come back is if you die on the same floor as it (not necessarily to it).

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

rip on Zig+3:16, from a Crypt floor. Zig+2 didn't seem that bad, but Zig+3 started getting pretty rough. Crypt floors in particular are nasty due to silent spectres. For some reason flayed ghosts, curse skulls, and eidolons are immune to silence and will wreck you. If (when) I try it again in the future, the main things I would do different are to get a good broad axe sooner and to bring along the Sceptre of Asmodeus for !sil summoning. Friendly hellfire would probably have done a lot towards survival. I did have the Staff of Dispater with its crazygood 3d45 hellfire, but the HP cost started getting to me. Oh well, better luck next time! I got close to halfway to maxing all skills.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/magicpoints/morgue-magicpoints-20141008-015736.txt

pre:
1879999 magicpoints the Omniscient (level 27, -10/298 HPs)
             Began as a Naga Wizard on Sept 28, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
             Mangled by a reaper
             ... wielding a +1 scythe of venom
              (29 damage)
             ... on level 16 of a ziggurat on Oct 8, 2014.
             The game lasted 1day 03:19:29 (146863 turns).

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Found a glowing naga barding.
The naga barding is a mimic!
The naga barding mimic chortles and vanishes in a puff of smoke!

oh my god you little bastard

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Someone tell me the story behind this trunk changelog line.

There is an arrival vault that places a boring beetle and a lot of rock walls in a stone prison, for the purpose of making a lot of grinding noises and annoying the player. It was possible for a teleport trap to spawn in this vault and let the boring beetle escape.

Last year there was a very similar bug where an arrival vault could spawn a pan lord on D:1. See here:

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/flaco/morgue-flaco-20140412-162615.txt

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

LogicNinja posted:

-I played really sloppy due to being able to regen like 3-4 HP every turn with an amulet of regen and the spell.
This sounds like it plays like being a Deep Dwarf without the downside.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

pre:
 "The weather's been a little too boring around here."
 The spiny frog is engulfed in seething chaos.
 The spiny frog seems to speed up.
 The spiny frog stings you!
 You are engulfed in seething chaos.
 You feel much better.
 The spiny frog is engulfed in seething chaos.
 The spiny frog is duplicated!
 Your rat is engulfed in seething chaos.
 Your rat goes berserk!
 Your rat bites the spiny frog.
_The spiny frog dies!
 The spiny frog is engulfed in seething chaos. x2
 The spiny frog evaporates and reforms as an octopode!
 The octopode is engulfed in seething chaos.
 The octopode suddenly stops moving!
_Xom is highly amused!
 The helpless octopode fails to defend itself.
 You slice the octopode!!
 You kill the octopode!
 The spiny frog returns to its original shape as it dies.
I love you, Xom.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Not My Leg posted:

Okay, now I'm wasting time with the knowledge bots. What's up syllogism having a L1 win?

E: Some sort of weird Nemelex scumming that's not possible anymore?

Old draining. He stood on top of the exit from the dungeon, hitting himself with bolt of draining to reduce his XL. He also used Death's Door in order to not die from the damage from bolt of draining.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

New Nemelex's piety gain is horrendous. I joined him on D:4. By the time I died on Lair:4, I had **.... piety and had been gifted a total of 2 plain decks. This was while wearing an amulet of faith the entire time. I am never picking Nemelex again.

IronicDongz posted:

I think it only happens with this last "Be careful!" message:

...but there's never anything around for him to be worried about. :iiam:

Did anyone else notice the irony of a vampire shouting "Die, Monster!"? :haw:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

How much time were you spending resting? Like all gods, Nemelex's piety decays over time.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/magicpoints/morgue-magicpoints-20150115-224332.txt

Not a lot. Granted I was not fully exploring each floor either, but the resting rate is pretty low. In Lair it got as high as 2.1%, which is still below that of many of my previous wins. (Turns out a D:4 rod of inaccuracy can kill a lot of stuff fast and save you resting turns.) Even Ashenzari and Ru are faster than this, and they give relevant powers at **....

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

I think Inner Flame would be a lot easier to use if it auto-passed the MR check like scrolls of immolation do. As mentioned before, it already has the matters of actually killing the hexed enemy and positioning. Enslave bombing enemies would be a little easier, but that's already the easiest way to use it.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

World Famous Whore posted:

If you got that 'autopickup for unfilled armour slots' thing in your rc file you should delete it. That's what I had to do when that started happening.

There is an updated version! Instead of deleting it, use the new one:

(from here: http://s-z.org/neil/git/?p=crawl.gi...d050b44b0f2dcca )

code:
{
add_autopickup_func(function(it, name)
  if it.is_useless then
    return
  end
  if it.class(true) == "armour" then
    local good_slots = {cloak="Cloak", helmet="Helmet", gloves="Gloves",
                        boots="Boots"}
    st, _ = it.subtype()
    if good_slots[st] ~= nil and items.equipped_at(good_slots[st]) == nil then
      return true
    end
  end
end)
}

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

LogicNinja posted:

Sorry, Haifisch and I are reserving #NotAllMennas.
Oh man, can I be on this team? I want to shoot for banners and play stupid things instead of being all tryhard goodplay.

Internet Kraken posted:

Lamia got removed some versions ago. Apparently she was EXTREMELY lethal to the point where the majority of all snake deaths were caused by her.
If nothing else can we get Lamia's tile back in the game for tile_player_tile purposes? It looked great and I really really really wanna use it.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

In other news, Elyvilion now only gains piety by exploration, lesser-healing has been removed, and the Healer background is gone.

quote:

and gives piety for exploration, at the same speed as Nemelex.

Noooooooo, anything but Nemelex piety! I liked playing Ely sometimes, but this will ensure I never pick Ely again. What's the point of having all these healing invocations if you never get the piety to use any of them? :(

Miracon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 1, 2015

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

My current skald has found the Sword of Jihad and a couple of summoning books by Lair. Please oh please floor god, give me an amulet of rage to go with them ---gently caress dead right after posting goddamn spiny frogs

Miracon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2015

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

What's the oldest version that had tiles?

According the the git repository, the initial commit for tiles was pushed on January 5, 2008. The IRC bots date this as being version 0.3. However, webtiles was not started until May 2, 2011, committed as a git branch until June 26, and merged into trunk until July 10. This places it during 0.9 trunk. Online was console-only until then.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

apple posted:

Was there a tradeoff to getting # of summons soft-capped or was that it?
The tradeoff is that they buffed a lot of old spells (Call Canine Familiar never summons a jackal anymore, Summon Ice Beast now scales their HD with spellpower to increase their HP and cold damage, Summon Dragon is now Dragon's Call, etc) and they introduced a lot of cool new spells (Lightning Spire, Monstrous Menagerie, Mana Viper, etc).

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

...oh, nevermind, that commit's not merged yet.

Shouldn't be much different for the player, anyway. Someone just finished a rewrite that they started two years ago, that merges the up_stairs() and down_stairs() functions into one, less redundant, hopefully less awful function. Will probably go in after 0.16 comes out, and you should hopefully never notice the difference.

Will this make it possible to get a merged "go up/down stairs" key? Even after playing this game for way too long I still find myself pressing the wrong stair keys sometimes.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

World Famous Whore posted:

Also, do spectral weapons of randarts that have SInv gain SInv themselves?

Without testing, I believe they do not. I know from experience that they do not gain elemental resistances. I think that should be considered a bug, but when I brought it up in IRC long ago I was told it wasn't an issue.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Apparently the # isn't allowed in the team name. Bear that in mind for rc purposes.

#notallmennas

1. Haifisch
2. LogicNinja
3. SomeoneAwful
4. SirSamVimes
5. ???
6. ???

Two slots left! Get em while they're hot!

Me please! (Still going by magicpoints.) I promise to do whatever, hunt for banners, and splat a lot of good characters.

(what about "hashtag NotAllMennas" then?)

vOv posted:

seriously
I think shadow traps are going to go the way of constriction: They're sticking around, but they're probably going to get a big nerf in a version or two.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Aston posted:

Does the Royal Jelly seriously still not have a crown?!

TRJ should have a broken/half-digested crown in its center.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

It's a rarity to see. It's like someone abusing Borgnjor's Revivification a ton, except less permanent.

You should have a look at this win. Please note the race and skill level for fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh man, that's great. A Naga with 125 max HP, fully levelled Fighting *and* has Frailty 2, received on the trip upwards with the Orb. Revivified 25 times all told but the last three seemed more deliberate than actually to save his life.

In hell I was so paranoid about death by damage spike that I cast Borg anytime my HP dropped under 50. This went especially horribly on Dis:7. Reapers are amazingly painful with slow movement 3.

I think the orbrun Borgs were done under the same logic, but at that point 50 HP was too high to show up in the lowHP logging.

• Locked thread