Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I want everyone to know that the worst thing about death yaks is that they have poison corpses so you can't even eat them after they've finished kicking the poo poo out of you unless you have rPois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kekekela posted:

That looks like a Zot trap.

Looks like a rune on a Zot trap!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Diogines posted:

And for a beserker for a noob? Hill orc or minotaur? Axe?

Minotaur and Gargoyle are both very strong and pretty straightforward races, especially for Berserker. Gargoyles are really only good at Maces & Flails if I remember right whereas Minotaurs are good with everything but Short Blades. As someone who recently won his first game using a MiBe, I liked Polearms because I liked the ability to poke at Mages and Priests from an extra space away and also being able to easily hide behind Brothers in Arms and still actually do damage. (Also, one-handed polearms won't cut off hydra heads, which is good if you never find anything with flaming.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

LogicNinja posted:

I kind of hate that you can walk down the stairs into situations like this. That's a lot of HP to lose right away. If I didn't have a blink scroll I'd be straight up dead.

It looks to me like the correct solution here is to die and leave a beautiful ghost.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The drama never ends with these two.

I never stop being surprised at how many different situations those two have coded for them.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't think we need to see explicit damage numbers, but even being able to tell "is a +10 war axe or a +2 battleaxe going to do more damage on an average hit, disregarding AC and accuracy and delay" would be a huge help. It's pretty easy to figure out how AC works and delay is displayed right there on the screen, and it's not hard to tell if I'm actually hitting a monster or not. But it is really dumb that I can't even get a comparison between two weapons under ideal conditions, given how arcane the relationship between base damage and enchantment and weapon skill are. Obviously the game isn't going to tell me the best weapon I have for use against Asterion while using Heroism, but just "mean damage upon successfully hitting a rat once" or something would be nice.

Araganzar posted:

This and your "sacred cow" comment are both quite a bit of an insult to the developers. I appreciate your viewpoint and I would also like to see damage, but perhaps you could stop short of assigning motive. At least you're not calling them lazy in a bolded section head.

:qqsay:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

kaschei posted:

I made a macro to swap two rings so that swapping to regen was easier than casting the spell 'Regeneration' and I got branded a fun-hating autist itt

are you sure that wasn't because you squeal with glee every time you get abyssed

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please do not suggest that any decisions the devs have made on developing this game are anything but perfect. We can't have that in our community-driven roguelike

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 5, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Araganzar posted:

And no one has ever dreamed of charging you a penny for any of this.

The game being free does not excuse its faults. Yeah, some people are being assholes, but last I checked this is the Something Awful Dot Com Games Forum; if you can't handle that, go somewhere else. Any criticism is immediately met with a horde of people shouting it down and dismissing it and a bunch of crying about people calling the design "lazy," as if that's some dire insult. Yeah, you're right that a lot of people are acting really entitled, but every time someone says they don't like a certain mechanic in this game, even politely, they're either told to shut up because the devs know best or their whole argument is dismissed because apparently "lazy" is a slur now instead of a way to describe certain aspects of game design.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

glad to see concrete ToeJam and Earl influence on this game

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

kaschei posted:

Trog will hand you a holy weapon no questions asked. Also antimagic. No one else can offer these deals!!

Trog will hand you a holy weapon but only if you don't want to do extended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The last floor of Xom's Realm should be that you have to finish Shiren the Wanderer, ToeJam and Earl, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, or IVAN (randomly chosen) before you can get the rune.

• Locked thread