Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Since gods tend to join trunk after a tournament (to avoid distracting the players?), will this be the case with Ru?

apple posted:

Speaking of Ever-Gnashing Radulae, being a cheibro + statue form + torpor snail has you moving 1 space every 4 auts or something. :wtc:

... that's faster than a centaur.

I think you meant 40 AUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

I can't think of a better place to appear...

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Character won!

Not My Leg posted:

Nice quickblade. Did that actually generate as random loot or did you convert from a gifting God?

I got it through a scroll of acquirement.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Carnalfex posted:

My new favorite was walking down a set of stairs directly next to an orc that spawned with a holy longsword and getting one shot killed.

edit: on D3

In the series of "come on, WHY?"-crawl moments.. I had my mummy get abyssed on autotravel by Erolcha on first sighting.

code:
  7576 | D:8      | Noticed Erolcha
  7576 | D:8      | Cast into the Abyss (Erolcha)
Monsters being able to abyss on first sighting is kind of bullshit. "Did you find any MR+ gear you could use? No? TOO BAD."

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

apple posted:

Why yes I'm a gargoyle I should be ok in Tomb so let's just speed up Tomb:3 with a scroll of immola-

code:
You feel extremely nervous for a moment...
You convulse helplessly as pain tears through your body!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The fiery explosion engulfs the guardian mummy.
The guardian mummy explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the guardian mummy.
The guardian mummy explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
The wraith is moderately damaged.
The fiery explosion engulfs the sixfirhy.
You kill the sixfirhy!
You sense a malignant aura. The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
You destroy the wraith!
You die...
:sotw:

Immolation is a good idea for Tomb... provided you are doing it as a follower of Makhleb or Kiku or if you are undead.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

LogicNinja posted:

Now, who can explain this?

I mean, I know people have been saying they're seeing more/earlier OOD stuff, but this seems a mite excessive.

:catstare:

Seriously, could we look aside from the clustering illusion claim and actually check the code?
.. or tell me where I should start looking.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

JAssassin posted:

So this is probably a question that's been asked before, but I have trouble finding some info on the basics of Crawl. I've played way too much Nethack, and I want to try a new roguelike to quench my thirst. The tutorials on CSZO helped a bit, but it feels way different than nethack. What are some key differences I should know about? Autoexplore is nice, but it makes me feel like I'm missing something really key about the levels. They feel really big with not that much in them. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten very far before dying?

Also, what are some good race/role combinations? I've tried some that were recommended on the Crawl Wiki (Hill Orc/Berserker, Deep Elf/Conjurer), but I want to experiment some more.

DCSS is a lot more focused than Nethack. The entire game is basically combat, god management and inventory management.

Also, nice combos to try: vine stalker skald/berserker with short blades (I said it again!), minotaur monk or troll chaos knight (comedy option).

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I'd say Sif Muna isn't half bad.

Except for the glaring issue of having to murder things to train your magic skills, but you can solve that issue with an infinite amount of potions of experience.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
My character enters O:4, shouting: "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

code:
You reveal the great annihilating truth to your foes!
The deep troll is slowed by your wave of power!
You kill the deep troll!
The ogre is paralyzed by your wave of power!
You kill the ogre! You kill the troll!
The two-headed ogre is paralyzed by your wave of power!
You kill the two-headed ogre!
The ogre is slowed by your wave of power!
You kill the ogre!
The hill giant is paralyzed by your wave of power!
You kill the ogre!
The ogre mage is paralyzed by your wave of power!
You kill the ogre mage!
Your Evocations skill increases to level 12!
You kill the deep troll!
You kill the ogre!
The orc is slowed by your wave of power!
You kill the orc! You kill the ogre!
You kill the ogre!
You kill the two-headed ogre!
The cyclops is paralyzed by your wave of power!
You kill the cyclops!
You kill the two-headed ogre! You kill the ogre!
The ogre is slowed by your wave of power!
You kill the ogre! You kill the two-headed ogre! You kill the ogre mage!
You kill the troll!
I think he was right.

Ru is awesome.

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 25, 2014

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Wouldn't it be enough to let the player know the dice rolls behind the damage and how many attacks on average you get per 10 AUT?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Who made this cruel thing?

code:
 Found twelve items.
There is an open door, spattered with blood here.
You see here a guardian serpent corpse.
_The scroll is a mimic! The potion is a mimic! The scroll is a mimic!
_You now have 3705 gold pieces (gained 344).
_The ring mail is a mimic! The rod is a mimic! The hunting sling is a mimic!
_The rod is a mimic!
_The phial of floods is a mimic! The staff is a mimic!
_A - 9 potions of might (gained 2)
_The box of beasts is a mimic! The amulet is a mimic! The rod is a mimic!
_The potion is a mimic! The hand crossbow is a mimic!
_The beef jerky is a mimic! The ring is a mimic!
_h - 14 scrolls of remove curse (gained 3)
_The scale mail is a mimic!
_The potion is a mimic!
_The bread ration is a mimic!
_The scroll is a mimic!
_The scroll is a mimic!
_You see here a glowing helmet.
You see here a cloak.
:shepicide:

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

gently caress Zot...

Edit:
That might've been too wide, timg'ing

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 29, 2014

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I ogrecame the challenges and now have my first Ogre, Hunter and Ru-win!

Hint: be patient with your sacrifices, if you're above 3-4*, then you can generally afford to wait.

BigFactory posted:

That's why I asked. Grinding to level 27 to squeak by V:5 seems like it's a little off. Not horrible, but a little off.

A character dump and a replay would be nice to see. If you're lacking in certain areas, for instance: magic resistance, then V:5 may be your death - even with XL27.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure hammers only exist because Crazy Yuif would be at a loss without them.
Crazy Yiuf's corner is the best place to get hammered. The best vault-layout around him is when he is surrounded by a "forest" of hammers.

Seriously though, one lucky hit from the guy and you're dead or banished.

AmishSpecialForces posted:

New question, what is the trick behind ogre of Trog? I keep trying, and splatting, to seemingly easy enemies. Being a fat sack of hp with a big club doesn't seem to be working out so hot.

Try focusing on maces & flails. With the +3 apt, ogres get decent attack stats really, really quickly.

Dexters Secret posted:

things that, as a newbie, I'd like to see changed:

1. a serious keybinding consolidation and a more modern control scheme preset. laptops don't have numpads and i don't want to use vi keys

2. i am sick to death of butchering, even with the init.txt tweaks someone recommended me (that most newbies won't know about). it's super unfun

3. make auto-explore navigate to the nearest downstairs after it's done exploring much like ToME does

4. not knowing what a scroll/potion is until i try/identify it is fine and all but at least tell me what equipment prefixes mean without me having to look it up

5. get rid of that whole 'picking things up takes an action' thing so gameplay is smoother, autopickup toggling on and off all the time is annoying
put music in it

6. ToME got me involved in the online community just by virtue of all of that being integrated in the client itself, so why not try to do that with Crawl instead of relying on web versions?

as for the whole cooking debate... i don't know, i think the issue is that, when a game gives you the ability to butcher bodies and stuff, you expect your dude to be able to hold it over a fire. the food system is honestly the most confusing aspect of the game for me since it seems like it all rots away very fast and my guy is such a picky eater he won't eat it until he has to, but he's also too lazy to cook it. And it seems like it'll be hard to revamp because hunger is a resource for many abilities.

1. Sure.
2. I don't really mind butchering, but sure, it could do with an improvement (see below).
3. Yes, but only as an option. You current go-to fix is shift+x > enter
4. I believe all (or almost all) brands have some sort of message when you equip/wield said item - poison-branded weapons start dripping with poison and so on. If you are really curious, as mentioned elsewhere, use the (i)nventory.
5. Several alternatives exist: press 'g', or: press 's' a few times and wait for the enemy to approach, then keep on auto-exploring, etc. etc.
6. Not sure what you mean here - having a game-wide interconnected chat-client integrated in the server-software?

Hunger and cooking: the issue here is the fact that this is beyond the scope of the game. Crawl's focus is combat, followed by combat (yes, twice), followed by inventory, skills and gods. Putting cooking into the mix would be just weird and an even more annoying optimization-chore than butchering currently is. In fact, there is already work happening to make crawl chunkless - no idea on the state of this change.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Prism posted:

Does the Vine Stalker inability for combat healing apply to Makhleb/TSO's divine recovery on kills or Ru's Draw Out Power? Or does it only block potions/wands?

I believe all those sources of healing function for vine stalkers.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

apple posted:

FR: Make a ring that you can wear amulets on

The macabre neck ring

What happens when you then start wearing an amulet which allows you to wear another ring on that ring?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
CLAN is up. Finally.

Sorry it took so long. :(

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
If you want to host a community server, then you might want to wait a bit and let me know.

I've been wanting to move mine to a different host, so I have started working on a buildfile for Docker. My project will allow anyone to deploy a community server with much less hassle than the current process. I'm estimating about 60 minutes including initial host OS install (if you've done it before).

You can see my current progress in my repository - it already runs webtiles:
https://bitbucket.org/TZer0/crawl-docker
The bot might be possibly working as well, but I haven't tested.

PleasingFungus: add this to the OP, please.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I know I'm late to the haste-party, but whatever.

To be honest, I would not mind making at least some changes to haste - such as replacing the spell with something else and making it a wand/potion-effect. Perhaps we need to give it a cooldown instead of having it cause contamination.

As it stands now, it is way too good as it is a general boost that improves your offence and survivability in a way that I don't really see a parallel to at a comparable amount of cost. In my opinion, any character wearing light-ish armour or less will be way better with this spell when compared to any other spell with the same spell level and xp cost. I'm seriously not sure what to compare it to.

But I guess I should shut up since I held the skald highscore last tournament.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Stoat posted:

FR: Time Dragons that cast slouch

There, haste balanced

FR: unique called Spriggan Slayer that's a unique time dragon that is immune to stabbing, great detection and controlled blink.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I would actually be fine with having a reduced haste effect. The problem with this is communicating it clearly to the player. It is really ingrained that haste is -33% AUT per action and slow is +50% AUT per action.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Does anyone want me on their team?
I got the Sk-highscore last time (and not much else..).

PS: I'm GMT+1, easier to discuss things if we're in approximately the same time-zone.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Ugly John posted:

Right then. New team, tentatively named Crawling's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose (until someone thinks of a better one). TEAMCAPTAIN is uglyjohn (on CZSO).

Any skill level welcome, play and die and play again.

You've got a spot if you want it.

As do you.

Deal! :)

Adding your name to my rc once I've fixed up my server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Ugly John posted:

Right then. New team, tentatively named Crawling's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose (until someone thinks of a better one). TEAMCAPTAIN is uglyjohn (on CZSO).

Any skill level welcome, play and die and play again.

You've got a spot if you want it.

As do you.

Deal! :)

Adding your name to my rc once I've fixed up my server.

Edit: my ingame-name is the same as my forum name. I can also be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TZer0/

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread