Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's farming in KSP now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Baronjutter posted:

There's farming in KSP now??

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds ;)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

mackintosh posted:

Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds ;)
I can just imagine a kerbal farmer in their endless optimism going, "I'm sure THIS tractor won't horribly explode and/or leave orbit.".

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

mackintosh posted:

Performance is still dogshit in late game. I have to wonder if they even tried any optimizations, I honestly can't tell. The in-place vehicle replacement feature is nifty and should have been there in the first place, but... you can only specify one consist/vehicle per line. If you like mixing and matching consists to increase variety, it seems you're poo poo out of luck. Maybe it's something they will add somewhere down the line. For now I'm going back to plowing.

Yeesh, you're not kidding. I just booted this game up for the first time ever, and it definitely feels like it's in beta. The performance is choppy and the UI is deeply unsatisfying. Anyone who was complaining about Cities in Motion's UI should look at this game for something worse.

Even 1990s-era Transport Tycoon Deluxe has more attractive UI in my opinion.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Apparently they announced a USA DLC just before Christmas, supposed to be out in February.

http://www.train-fever.com/2014/12/usa-dlc-to-be-released-in-february-2015/

What interests me more in that post, however, is this:

quote:

At the same time, modding capabilities will be extended. We will not only reduce the number of currently hard-coded implementation parts, but also improve the handling of mods in general: Mods can then be activated or deactivated in-game and save games will remember which mods are active.
Per-save mod enabling, and much more scriptability. It sounds like they're getting on the right track, so this definitely gives me some new hope for TF.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Now I want Multiplayer to that and this game would be neat. I've played so much Railroads! with my wife that it comes out of our ears right now. That game rocks, but multi in Train Fever would be awesome.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
They released a performance improvement patch yesterday. Moved some pathfinding calculations to a separate thread. I'd say at least 50% performance gain. My late game has gone from unplayable to just really, really poo poo, which in all honesty, is a significant improvement.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I tried and got double frames. Late game 15fps is now 30. Which is nice.

Gonna wait for USA patch before I dive in.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The USA free DLC releases this Friday and honestly, the somewhat barren landscape of the game fits the US setting waaaaaaaay better already. The screenshots look great. http://www.train-fever.com/2015/02/usa-dlc-to-be-released-this-friday/

Not only that but modding tools are expanded also in this patch.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Finally something that may coax me into starting a new game.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mackintosh posted:

Finally something that may coax me into starting a new game.

Let's hope that it patches during this night EST time so I can get my hands on it since I can't sleep.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's out now! http://www.train-fever.com/2015/02/usa-dlc-officially-released/

And it looks great.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Sweet. I have this weekend reserved for Attila, but I might give this a go too.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I haven't played this in a few months, have the performance patches helped a lot?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Goetta posted:

I haven't played this in a few months, have the performance patches helped a lot?

Yes, the last patch doubled late-game performance.

Rivarz
Oct 11, 2004
He who flows like water
Deal of the Day on Steam until 3/1/15 at 10am....$11.89 for those like me who've been holding off on buying this.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I just picked this up on sale yesterday, it's pretty good and scratches that RRT3 itch nicely. I'd love to see a few more production chains, and a campaign (or at least scenario) mode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The performance problems do seem to have been mostly fixed, so that's great.
The first 30-50 years still feel very slow, however, at least if you start in 1850.

I was initially a bit confused about the USA DLC not being automatic, I had to go into the Steam store and click "Install" next to the DLC pack, which was then listed as free.

I really hope they will add something to shake up the industry chains, it's far too predictable and simple as things are currently. Raw material industries should be sensitive to natural circumstances (forestries needing actual trees to cut down, mines and oil wells running out, if they ever add farms those should be sensitive to deprivation of farmland), and really it ought to be necessary (at least in some circumstances) to feed one secondary industry with materials from multiple primary ones.

I mostly do like the passengers dynamic. Sort of missing mail distribution from Transport Tycoon though.

Train stations feel gigantic, but that's really more a problem of cities being really small. The overall scale of the game (except for industry buildings is close to realistic.

But if I ever said something like passenger and freight train stations being entirely separate being okay, I retract that. I've built passenger stations by industries far too many times in my new game already.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Well, I lost interest very soon after starting a new game. There's just not enough variety. Sure, all the new trains and the "American" setting are cool, but I guess I'm just too much of a RRT fan and the limited industries and rather poor industry chains just don't have enough to keep me going.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

new patch just dropped

quote:

Today we have released a patch which fixes both issues of the recently published USA DLC as well as issues of the new mod system.

Most important, when running the USA DLC game mode, there was a bug which caused towns not to be completely American but mixed (all buildings, European and American, were enabled as a consequence of the bug). Furthermore, we have fixed a problem with the 2-8-2 Mikado Steam locomotive which caused the locomotive not to be available for purchase (as intended after 1898).

Because many players have requested that speed should also be displayable in “mph” instead of “km/h” we have added this feature (along with configurable units for power, weight and force).

In regard to the new mod system, we have fixed a number of issues as well. One issue was that the main menu mod list was not scrollable, which caused problems for players who wanted to activate a large number of mods. Another problem was that the displayed “active mod list” in the load game dialog was not correct (however note that the behavior was correct).

Finally, and probably most important to mention, deprecated mods are now directly recognized in Train Fever. Originally we planned that players use the available mod managers (TFGM and TFMM) to install / convert deprecated mods. However the plan failed because (a) some players install the mods manually and (b) in contrast to our plans one of the two available mod managers (TFMM) was unfortunately not updated yet, but was finally updated today.

Please find the release notes of the latest game update here.

To improve understanding of the new mod system we have set up a page which answers all frequently asked questions about mods here. The page explains how to use mods. At a later point in time we will also publish more information on how to create mods (specification of the new modding system).

Of course, we will update the game (and the USA DLC) also in future. Thanks for your continuing interest in Train Fever and best wishes!

http://www.train-fever.com/2015/03/first-post-usa-dlc-patch/

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Any recommended mods that aren't gamebreaking? The game feels a tiny bit barren. Reminds me of Banished, where you can pick your own equilibrium point for growth and then it's kind of like "well now what?"

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I picked this up during the sale, and enjoyed it for a bit (started out with a small map, bad idea actually, I'm waiting to hit 1900 in my first game so I can start a larger map in that year). I like that they've been improving the game since release with patches and DLC.

After playing for a bit, and dealing with some of the crazyness of the track laying system, my only really big wish is that cargo would prioritize using train/truck lines, and to remove (or at least increase) the 30 minute route time for cargo. It would make cargo actually worthwhile, and somewhat fun to transport. As it is, seeing cargo trains pull away with 9 barrels of oil because 3/4ths of the oil decides to take the roads is just disappointing.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Is there any way to batch replace vehicles by type like in openttd? I only found the per-line replacement thingie which is just unwieldy.

Picked this up and played it a bit and, well, in my opinion what they made is a really barebones openttd clone with somehow even worse UI. Kinda disappointing if anything. It is proper 3D I guess but it really doesn't help improve the gameplay in any way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That's t, though. This game scratches the itch of building fairly realistic train networks with switches and poo poo.
It doesn't necessarily mean that this game is great or even good. It just is the only one out there.

What would I do to combine this track building with the business of RR Tycoon?
And yeah, there has to be more agents than the regular time agent.

Somekind of "traveller" agent that wants to go far and pays more the farther he goes, and somekind of cargo that is happy sitting in place for a long time, perhaps with a time of 60 minutes?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

cthulhoo posted:

Is there any way to batch replace vehicles by type like in openttd? I only found the per-line replacement thingie which is just unwieldy.

Picked this up and played it a bit and, well, in my opinion what they made is a really barebones openttd clone with somehow even worse UI. Kinda disappointing if anything. It is proper 3D I guess but it really doesn't help improve the gameplay in any way.

The on street graphics are clearly something they put a lot of work into and those graphics aren't in open ttd. And clearly there are a lot fewer resource points in tf than there are in open ttd so I don't really think that's what the tf people were going for. I think they were making a game where the challenge is in maximizing the resources that are there, more than maximizing the map like you do in open ttd.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
A lot of the problems of this game could be solved by more cargo variety. You could manage the economy through those. For instance, there could be relatively abundant chains that didn't make money and rare ones that would likely be further apart, but would scale up with the cost of the infrastructure needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's lots of things that could be expanded on to make the gameplay more interesting.

For challenges TF gives right now, building railways around the terrain with the challenges of the natural grades is definitely one of them. At least early when locomotives are weak and cashflow is slow. (When you begin earning millions on single trips suddenly it's no big issue making huge tunnels through mountains, building every line as high-speed electrified rail, and just bridge over annoying valleys. And the high-powered trains handle the grades easily either way.)

• Locked thread