Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Dryer Lint posted:

I started playing Transport Tycoon when I was 5 years old. It was the second game I ever played after some Wolfenstein game which was terrifying for a kid. When I found a nice game about trains and airplains I was pretty happy. I can still remember launching that fucker through mother loving DOS prompt of all things. I am really loving excited to finally get a good 3D version of my favorite game ever.

Me too!

I was instantly smitten by that game, and would fill the map with A-to-B lines with 1 train on them. I never learned signaling or having more than 1 train + 2 stations on 1 line. Still it was lots of fun.

The stuff i am building in OTTD is closing in on OTTDCOOP complexity. I really hope Train Fever is closer to this than the A-to-B approach of building.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I remember the first time I played Transport Tycoon. I didn't bother to read the manual because a) gently caress all those pages and b) I wanted to see if I could figure it out on my own. My first map was on the Mars texture and I was so clueless I tried to set up a line between one AI station and another AI station, not really knowing what I was doing. Needless to say that didn't work!

After a while I started setting up my own lines but these ended up being just little single track lines with only two stations, one at each end, with passing places so I could have more than one train. Then Transport Tycoon Deluxe came out and I started experimenting with actual networks. Then, 15 years after TTD came out I discovered OTTD!

What I'm saying is if this game is remotely like TTD or can be modded to be like TTD then I will be happy. From what I've seen of the beta LPs, though, it's more like a sandbox Locomotion, which I'm fine with because that's what I wanted from that game. Well, that and a less dumb way of building the tracks rather than something copied from Roller Coaster Tycoon. :colbert:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The German dude doing LP-style videos of the beta also posted one going over some signalling principles, and it looks like Train Fever will be doing that the right way. That makes me happy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wipfmetz posted:

It's german swiss, not german. They're having three seperate languages in their very own country to start with.

I knew we should have split those drat Swiss up between France, Germany, and Italy :argh:

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I never liked TT much, mostly because of the square grid system.

I really enjoyed Sid Meier's Railroads! though, and I hope this is a more in-depth grown-up version of that.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Hey, TT is still an amazing game.

This looks very promising to, I'll definitely check it out when it comes out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I only ever got through one 100-year playthrough on TT (because once you had 30 lines going, things got very slow on the 486.) Played around with Locomotion a bit too and enjoyed it, but things seemed a little off in parts.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Man, this makes me want to play more OpenTTD some more before this game comes I out.

I remember how that start, as some already said. No signals, only two station and one train.

And how did it end up? 6 track train highways with stupidly complex intersections and 6 wide stations with entry/exit signals.

Let's hope this game can do the same.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Michaellaneous posted:

Man, this makes me want to play more OpenTTD some more before this game comes I out.

Considering it's coming out tomorrow, that doesn't give you a lot of time ;)

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

nielsm posted:

The German dude doing LP-style videos of the beta also posted one going over some signalling principles, and it looks like Train Fever will be doing that the right way. That makes me happy.

For those of you with some familiarity with OTTD, the signaling system implemented in Train Fever seems to be identical to the Path Based Signaling introduced a while ago in OTTD. There are no signal blocks, nor is there any sort of pre-signal system.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally I grew tired of SMs Railroads fairly quickly because you could only build really simple tracks in it. Trying to set up even the most basic of OTTD clusterfuck ended up being completely impossible. :(

quote:

Available: 4 September
This game will unlock in approximately 19 hours
:toot:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

It is 9 hours from now. I am actually going to wake up super early, read impressions and then purchase.

I just want that feeling of trains running, with the prettiness of Railroads!, complexity of TTD and their combined charm.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It is 8 hours from now. I am actually going to wake up super early and install

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Kilonum posted:

It is 8 hours from now. I am actually going to wake up super early and install

I expect a report on my desk to make an informed decision.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

well "Super Early" for me means "before 9am Eastern Time"

Which won't be a problem tomorrow as rush hour road noise will probably wake me up at 8 as it's actually nice enough to leave the window open tonight.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

By the looks of it it unlocks at 6pm for me so I'll get a few hours in after dinner. HURRY UP.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress it, pre-ordered. God drat I'm weak.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I have heard basically nothing about this game, so I'll ask you clever and knowledgeable people.

Can you set this game so that it's just you playing?
Like in old school Transport Tycoon where it was basically just a monopoly of your company making bus routes and train tracks?

Edit: This basically answers my question;

nielsm posted:

What I haven't seen any mention of is competitors, AI or humans. Even if the game is nominally sandbox there still needs to be something to measure yourself against, either dynamic goals of some sort, or other players in the market.

Assuming this is still true.

King Faraday fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 4, 2014

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

King Faraday posted:

I have heard basically nothing about this game, so I'll ask you clever and knowledgeable people.

Can you set this game so that it's just you playing?
Like in old school Transport Tycoon where it was basically just a monopoly of your company making bus routes and train tracks?

Edit: This basically answers my question;

Assuming this is still true.

Yeah. From what I understand, it takes a leaf out of Banished's book, where there is no opponent but yourself and the world your're playing in. The idea is to play until you're happy with what you've created.

In saying that, I do hope the economy is potentially unstable so you have to pay attention, update your lines and layouts so you don't go bankrupt.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Interactive guide:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70431747/Train%20Fever%20Guide/story_html5.html

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
It comes out whilst I'm at work, which is fine because I'll just leave you guys to tell me what a smart decision I have made in pre-ordering this game and how much I will enjoy it.

Right?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

When I think Choo Choos I think of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKmcJgwZg4U

Is this how the game is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWBf0hbeMU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this coming out like in 5 min or in an hour? I feel like a kid staying up late for game releases, so silly!
It's out it's out!

No wait it says content still encrypted...yet the status page says PLAY now.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 4, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

At this point I'm assuming it'll be available once the pre-order runs out, but I dunno. It does sometimes take Steam a few minutes to sort itself out before it makes the game available. Let's hope it's not poo poo!

EDIT: Ooh they're right off the mark tonight. 1.2GB download.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Yep, out now! So tempted to grab it... so close to clicking that buy button....

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Well, you'll get some perfunctory trip reports in the next few hours, probably not a bad idea to hold off while we guinea pigs give it a burl, especially since you won't get the 10% discount.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Ha, I folded right away. I shouldn't have even bothered posting. I can't help myself with these types of games.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
I'm still downloading the game. Is it good? Please tell me it's good.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still another 6 hours until I'm back from work, hoping to read some trip reports here before then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just finished downloading it. :toot:

edit

That loading time. :stare:

Oh god, what have they done to the mouse movement?

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
First impressions after an hour : I managed to bankrupt myself by building an overelaborate set of line to bring coal and iron to a steel mill. Not the best idea.

Camera movement is a bit awkward, but you get used to it. Once you understand the reason behind the collision issues, track building becomes a real joy. It's cool to finally have a railroad game where terrain actually matters. But expect to have to redo segments a couple of times for your line to work. Careful planning is key.

Time to start a new game and try to actually last 10 year this time.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah I'm finding that out the hard way. The terrain generation is quite good looking, and if you turn on the contour layer (bottom left doover) it gives you a better idea of where to route poo poo.

Anyway once I get the hang of this track laying business I might actually be able to make an effective line!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

So far I'm enjoying it. I got used to the mouse movement really quickly. Though I think it was worse in the menu then the game itself. Still.

Tip - Start with small local bus lines. One carriage running each direction on the 2 lines, but following the same street layout (a station on each side of the road, so effectively two lines) gives you a nice bit of cash to play with before you go and spend millions on rail. Rail, right at the start, will send you bankrupt quickly by the looks of it.

I can see myself loosing a lot of time in this.

ChooChoo Motherfuckers.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is there a way to see how much coverage a bus/tram stop has? Also, how do you rotate station when you build them out in the terrain?

Pay attention when placing tram tracks. They don't connect if there's a tiny length of road somewhere.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Is there a way to see how much coverage a bus/tram stop has? Also, how do you rotate station when you build them out in the terrain?

Pay attention when placing tram tracks. They don't connect if there's a tiny length of road somewhere.

So far I can't find a sphere of influence for coverage, but I may just have missed it.

You can rotate anything with N and M, when it's not connected to a road.

Yeah, that's definitely something to watch out for.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Someone in one of the beta LP videos talked about passengers/goods having a 20 minute time limit on trips, so there isn't a coverage area as so on stations. If a passenger can walk to the station, take a vehicle, then walk from destination station to final destination, within 20 minutes, then it's a valid trip.
Effectively, passengers will be willing to walk longer to get to a higher speed mode of transit.

Ripperljohn
May 13, 2014

Small town Stage coach service ✔
Small oil railway ✔
Horse carriage with goods to town ✔
Bankruptcy after trying to build a coal railway that ended up costing 3 millions and never made any money because the coal mine never bothered to start producing ✔

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
This game is basically Banished with trains and trucks.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ripperljohn posted:

Small town Stage coach service ✔
Small oil railway ✔
Horse carriage with goods to town ✔
Bankruptcy after trying to build a coal railway that ended up costing 3 millions and never made any money because the coal mine never bothered to start producing ✔
Did you connect it to the road? If you use the cargo view thing you can see how goods and stuff spawn near the mine/factory and path to the train station/cargo bay and get loaded up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=307389079

That seems to be a good guide for starting off, though he goes right for trains and that scares me so much because I keep losing so much money on them. I've no doubt its just me doing it wrong though (and I keep cutting into hills which is mega expensive)

Also this game doesn't refund anything you demolish, so make sure you put stuff EXACTLY where you want it, otherwise you've lost that cash forever, plus whatever it costs to demolish it.

• Locked thread