Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i liked this movie but i felt like it wanted to deliver a lot of the plot twists as suprises to the audience and that fell really flat for me because the whole movie was really really predictable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe I don't watch enough movies because I went in knowing nothing and didn't guess any of the twists.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

my thoughts, basically:

that woman in man makeup is clearly a woman

why would they keep the bombers face AND timecops face in the intro scene so hidden to the audience if its not important to the plot, boy i hope the bomber isnt actually timecop himself

oh right, the timecop got his face burned off AND his voice totally changed as the doctor said, into a deeper voice. HMM i wonder how this ties into the woman turning into a man thing

oh god theyre all the same person

The only thing I couldnt figure out before hand was why anyone was doing any of it. Still not 100% on that

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 19, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

GreenNight posted:

Maybe I don't watch enough movies because I went in knowing nothing and didn't guess any of the twists.

I think a lot of people are just jaded by movie twists they've seen a bunch of times so they expect them, but the story this movie is based on was written in the 60s (IIRC) and predates these kinds of twists being a 'thing'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guessed about half the "twists" but really who cares because it's just a good movie regardless. :shrug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I felt pretty much the same as Zzulu except I didn't like it in the end. The why is a big factor.

Everything about it seemed like a really fun idea someone thought of with their friends at a bar and it just completely fell apart on screen for me. The presentation was really cheesy and obvious and the characters motivations didn't make any sense to me.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I felt pretty much the same as Zzulu except I didn't like it in the end. The why is a big factor.

Everything about it seemed like a really fun idea someone thought of with their friends at a bar and it just completely fell apart on screen for me. The presentation was really cheesy and obvious and the characters motivations didn't make any sense to me.

Well the source material is a 10-page-long short story. The movie is pretty padded.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My question is why did any of this happen? What exactly did Robertson gain for the agency by allowing it to happen?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I was expecting a Looper-type movie but was still pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I didn't see any of the twists coming and I felt so dumb that I didn't. It would definitely help to catch the subtle hints on a rewatch. I, too, was also expecting Robertson to be John/Jane..

However, the biggest surprise for me was that young Jane and Unmarried Mother/John were the same actress. I thought they were two different actresses. The makeup job was pretty good but more than that, the acting threw me off. I actually found the Unmarried Mother/John's acting to be awkward and not that great at times whereas the acting of Jane was great throughout. I guess it's understandable that having to play the opposite gender would affect the acting, especially with having to go with a lowered voice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Megasabin posted:

My question is why did any of this happen? What exactly did Robertson gain for the agency by allowing it to happen?

It happened because it happened.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Zzulu posted:

my thoughts, basically:

that woman in man makeup is clearly a woman

why would they keep the bombers face AND timecops face in the intro scene so hidden to the audience if its not important to the plot, boy i hope the bomber isnt actually timecop himself

oh right, the timecop got his face burned off AND his voice totally changed as the doctor said, into a deeper voice. HMM i wonder how this ties into the woman turning into a man thing

oh god theyre all the same person

The only thing I couldnt figure out before hand was why anyone was doing any of it. Still not 100% on that

Exactly my thoughts too. Sadly this story is nothing more than "How can I write a time travel story so that someone is their own mother and father."

I guess I should give it more credit because it was written before a lot of twists became cliché, and before a lot of time travel movies have been done. But after I saw it I've asked every person I know "if a time travel movie tells you right in the beginning that the main character looks different, what is going to happen in that movie?" And every one of my friends answered "He's going to go meet himself."

I try not to predict movies but sometimes I can't help it, and even though I went in to this one completely blind, absolutely nothing caught me by surprise. It was well acted and well done, just a few decades too late to really surprise a modern audience.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I try not to predict movies but sometimes I can't help it, and even though I went in to this one completely blind, absolutely nothing caught me by surprise. It was well acted and well done, just a few decades too late to really surprise a modern audience.

This movie was based on a short story written in 1958.

I'm actually not aware of anything referencing the 'meeting your younger self' trope before this. Which makes your response pretty ironic. :allears:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's the equivalent of watching Aliens and getting annoyed that it's just ripping off Halo.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

It's the equivalent of watching Aliens and getting annoyed that it's just ripping off Halo.

Did you know WoW was the first MMO?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think the issue is more so the movie itself acts as if it's a big reveal (to the point it even overexplains it which I was hoping wouldn't happen) when it's fairly obvious from very early on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think if they removed that part where he sings, the reveal would be a lot less obvious. I don't even want to talk about it in the hopes that people won't notice it. After I noticed it, I started wondering about it and then as the movie went on all the clues kept pointing to what he had blatantly said and I didn't feel clever for figuring it out as a result. I feel like removing that one line would make the movie way better. Also perhaps a 3rd actor that isn't Snook or Hawke because Snook makes a very unconvincing man.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 14, 2015

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is one of the most gimmicky time travel stories ever written, why would they make this into a movie? Are they that out of ideas? Yuck.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

This is the best time travel story because it pushes the gimmick that is time travel as far as it goes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I'm actually not aware of anything referencing the 'meeting your younger self' trope before this. Which makes your response pretty ironic. :allears:

Really? So you've never seen Back to the future 2, Looper, Timecrimes, Primer, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Triangle, Continuum... poo poo, it'd be easier to list time travel stories where they don't run into themselves. Also I didn't say younger self, I said self, even though one is always younger so it's just a matter of storytelling perspective. Sometimes it's the younger meeting the older, sometimes older meeting younger, sometimes both.

Either way it'd be nice if they didn't loving telegraph it so you at least wonder for a little. I was really just complaining that they didn't follow the rules of "trust your audience" and "show don't tell".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's all just variations of Romeo and Juliet anyways. Also each of those movies is so wildly different from one another, that really the only thing they have in common is the time travel element.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

Really? So you've never seen Back to the future 2, Looper, Timecrimes, Primer, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Triangle, Continuum...

I wasn't aware any of those were made before 1958.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
JCVD traveled to 1920s to film Timecop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I wasn't aware any of those were made before 1958.

I misunderstood what you meant, but you're reinforcing my point. I'm not criticizing a 1958 story, I'm criticizing a 2015 movie.

Basically if this was the first time travel movie ever made, it would have been mind blowing. But it's not. The filmmakers should have taken that into account.

• Locked thread