Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

mario galaxy, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
No Man's Sky, which unfortunately will not have actual gameplay in it

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Soral posted:

mario galaxy, op

lol get this earth poo poo outta my spaceship

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
Try Mass Effect 2 OP.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Starbound

lol jk

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Space Rangers HD. You know you wanna deliver space pizzas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_s4a_l5A4

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Independence War 2 maybe? You don't get to explore any planets though

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Play Spore and then

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
Kerbal Space Program has literally infinite possibilities as far as building/exploration. Mods with new parts, physics, planets, etc. It owns. Owns.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
seconding space engine. there's not a lot of "game" to it but it's hella cool and really puts the scale of the universe in perspective

also best desktop background generator ever

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

knytt

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
*plugs a cord into an outlet and a brilliant broadway style marquee lights up that reads simply, "rad gravity"*

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

OP should have said "what are some games that can kill me with boredom" bc that's what this thread is about

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

mabels big day posted:

OP should have said "what are some games that can kill me with boredom" bc that's what this thread is about

haha look at this scrub who doesn't realize how awesome space is

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

haha look at this scrub who doesn't realize how awesome space is

Actually space is mostly empty.... I don't know how that's fun..

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Actually space is mostly empty.... I don't know how that's fun..

you're mostly empty

no really, everything is mostly empty space, including your dilz and thats pretty fun, as are the occasional temperate ocean planets full of islands with star-bathing space babes

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
SimEarth lets you terraform Mars iirc but I never got that far. So many loving sliders.

EDIT: Star Fox 64.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
ever heard of spore op?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Solar Winds

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Are there any games where I can land on the moon and a green alien babe in a tasteful two-piece serves me pancakes?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Starflight. Play the Mega Drive version though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Buck Turgidson posted:

Are there any games where I can land on the moon and a green alien babe in a tasteful two-piece serves me pancakes?

Toejam and Earl 2 more or less

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Space Engine, OP

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Buck Turgidson posted:

again, this is possible in ksp

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Papa Daedalus posted:

Outer Wilds - http://www.freeindiegam.es/2013/07/outer-wilds-alex-beachum/

20 minutes to explore an alien solar system before it all ends. It's pretty chill.

gently caress the ocean planet and I mean that in a really GBS 1.0 way.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

That's a good game.

We still don't know which one of them is the Fot.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

http://star-made.org/

Never played it myself because of some technical problem that I couldn't resolve in 5 minutes, but maybe it's good?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

noctis iv is the purest space exploration game you will ever find op.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
universe sandbox

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

kill you are self posted:

universe sandbox

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

this is the game i was trying to think of

yeah

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

so did someone finally figure out a way to run it in resolutions other than 320x200 or w\e it is?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

grate deceiver posted:

so did someone finally figure out a way to run it in resolutions other than 320x200 or w\e it is?

Isn't this the game that's written in the author's self-designed programming language that's somewhere between C and assembler in terms of abstraction? If so, then no, I don't think anyone has or will touch it with a mile long stick.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
no, that's what noctis v is supposed to be (lol, like its ever coming out)

there are some community improved versions - noctis + and noctis ce they're called i think? but i cant find any description of what they actually do and fuk navigating that dumb site

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ralp posted:

I don't think I ever heard of it back when it came out but I tried playing it a couple times recently (within ~5 years) and I couldn't get into it because I had no idea what kind of game it was nor (therefore) what I was supposed to be doing. It's not an RPG or action/dogfighting or a trading/gathering/economy game, but it tricked me into thinking it was. Now I think it's an adventure game with an in-game time limit and it's finally clicking.

Wait so what do you do in it, I thought it was a 4x game or something.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
if you got a android you oughta try Out There; really good stuff (i hate to describe it as roguelike but welp)

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I'm one of the few people who actually liked the Mako parts of Mass Effect 1 but I also get rock hard over open exploration.

The X series was loving great for universe exploration but the game itself is mostly about being a space trucker.

Space engine was fun to dick around with but gets boring kind of quickly.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Wait so what do you do in it, I thought it was a 4x game or something.

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ralp posted:

I'm not a Star Control 2 expert but I am pretty sure it's an adventure game with just hundreds of stars and thousands of planets as the locations (and a good helping of all the other game elements I mentioned in that other post). Only some of the planets are significant and you have to gather clues by talking to other vessels or planets, and the game (barring a weird plot twist; I have yet to finish the game) is to make allies with a bunch of other races, either by saying the right thing, or obtaining the right item, or doing whatever adventure game thing they ask you to do. Other evil races you can trick into declaring war on each other instead of on you. The characterization of the alien races is incredibly well done. Ultimately the goal is to save planet earth, well,, good luck

Its basically this, an action-adventure-exploration game. You also get a little fleet and fight other ships in an Asteroids-like combat minigame. There's a bunch of secrets and the game expects you to be taking your own notes when it comes to important information.

• Locked thread