Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

I just wanna say I flippin love the FIBA schedule.

Who is that guy in the beard who made a great heads-up defensive play to start the fastbreak?

And he's dunking on people too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Davis is the clear MVP of this team so far but Faried is probably the runner up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Davis is the clear MVP of this team so far but Faried is probably the runner up.

I wonder if that is because of (or in spite of) the offense not being run through them, yet putting up lots of points. Also, that whole cleaning up defensive mistakes thing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Every time Plumlee comes in USA becomes 5x worse to watch.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Rick posted:

While Rose is utter poo poo. He'll never be a good basketball player ever again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For some reason I always picture Lithuania as a basketball powerhouse even though this result is typical over the past few years.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

For some reason I always picture Lithuania as a basketball powerhouse even though this result is typical over the past few years.

They were very strong back in the Dream Team days, IIRC.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

They were very strong back in the Dream Team days, IIRC.

Yeah you're probably right.

Also whoever said that they're just calling travels on Team USA because they aren't used to the speed is right because the Australia PGs look like they're NBA traveling in slow motion and no whistle is being called.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
who is this loving commentator that thought that iguodala is a good comparison to derozan...

"Well, they're energy guys who came off the bench for Team USA."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The Australia/Lithuania commentary is like parody soccer commentary.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I just found out that Mike Fratello is coaching Ukraine and has been for four years.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Kibner posted:

I just found out that Mike Fratello is coaching Ukraine and has been for four years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/sports/basketball/success-for-ukraine-is-rooted-in-an-atlanta-connection-.html

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

That was pretty cool. Thanks!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

I also have this problem. I guess I just assumed this because their country loves basketball, they were good in the past, and because they have players I've heard of. I think during the US game commentators mentioned they were missing their starting pg and it is a big loss for them. Maybe that is really hurting them but I would have never guessed they'd lose to Australia.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

From what I've seen of Lithuania, it's mostly that their guard play sucks and their coach is a crusty old school type (he's the same guy who benched Yao on China years and years ago, wouldn't even start Motiejunas/Valanciunas until this year).

e: They'd be better if Kleiza hadn't fallen apart completely. He's currently playing in Italy. I guess the knee surgery really hosed him up

chunkles fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 2, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

One of the weirdest parts of watching FIBA is when they show actual coaching in the huddles.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Davis has freaky long arms.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I missed the beginning, did they do the haka?

Here is a video of the haka. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77JplAz5aTE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks, those reaction shots are priceless, like something you'd see in an 80s sports movie.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Koponen vs Dominican Rep now.. Dude deserves the NBA.

But our centers who actually have NBA experience (Mottola, Murphy) suck rear end

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Remember when Derrick Rose was good at basketball.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
It must be weird doing the haka before a game you're almost surely going to lose.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Finally getting around to watching the NZ game. Rose's shooting form is making me depressed.

e: I think Steph Curry will get deported for attacking a referee.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 3, 2014

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

misdirectomy posted:

It must be weird doing the haka before a game you're almost surely going to lose.
it's really not worth doing in a sport you're not super excellent at, no one's going to even twitch at a haka delivered by someone you're 100% sure you're about to totally destroy. it's a reverse-haka, the New Zealand players are actually getting visibly more nervous as a result of their haka while D-Rose's unflinching stone face reveals nothing (but it's always that way so...).

Does D-Rose really look irrecoverably changed to people so far? You guys don't think he'll be in recovered form by the playoffs?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Looking forward to Serbs vs Brazil and Spain vs France today but I probably would be more hyped if there was any chance of any of these teams not making the next round.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Does D-Rose really look irrecoverably changed to people so far? You guys don't think he'll be in recovered form by the playoffs?

I think he'll be fine. He's only playing 19 minutes a game, for like 5 minute stretches. His shot is off, but was it ever really on? He certainly doesn't look slow.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We should maybe give Rose more time to come back from really not playing professional basketball in the last two years. Saying "He's Back" or "He's Broken" is premature right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The most I can say is that he doesn't have any readily apparent physical issues.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

anakha posted:

All I want is for my Philippine team to miraculously win two games and earn the right to be blown off the floor in the first game of the knockout stage.

Welp.

:negative:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

:(

At least they had some really fun games to watch, right?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kibner posted:

:(

At least they had some really fun games to watch, right?

That's true. At least, the team never got blown out and was competitive in most of the games.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I saw mighty Serbia pull from 14 below to tie it up then I had to run some errands how did it go for them

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

not sure im emotionally prepared to watch a team run its offense through francisco garcia

e: oh he's resting. nevermind.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

rudy is beasting

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What's with 15's hair?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's with 15's hair?

Could not say, but it really is something.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's with 15's hair?

It's called 'el moliente'

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Did I miss anything cool in the first two quarters? I turned it on with about 3 minutes left in the 2nd.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Did I miss anything cool in the first two quarters? I turned it on with about 3 minutes left in the 2nd.

faried dunked a bunch
rudy gay inexplicably hit a lot of contested midrange jumpers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That dude lay on top of Gay uncomfortably long.

• Locked thread