Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should this card have been canceled?
This poll is closed.
No way the fighters worked and trained too hard 23 27.71%
Yes I am not paying for this 60 72.29%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

It's gonna be funny seeing the guy challenging for the title doing awkward shadowboxing during the intro highlights because they don't have any footage of him they can show.

But like, 15 people at home will ever see that.

I wonder if TJ/Barao 2: The Rematch: Remade will headline that final Brazil card in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Dana said in the media scrum, Barao has to move to 145 or is done. Dana didn't say cut, so make of it as you will.

On one hand guys miss weight often and it really doesn't matter, sure some guys get cut but even Escudero and Rumble made it back. John Lineker has missed weight more than he's made it and he wasn't forced up. But on the other hand Renan Barao messed up a PPV. On the other other hand, that PPV was already poo poo with or without the Barao fight.

Like Dana says all the time he never tells a fighter which weight class they should fight at, but he's doing just that. If he were doing it for Barao's safety I'd be all for it but he's only doing it because he hosed up a PPV. I think. Don't take your anger of Jon Jones out on Renan Barao.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Is this card starting soon? Or are they going to delay it because of the lower number of fights?

They have to unless Bruce Buffer tells the audience to drive home and enjoy dinner between fights.

The might begin at 5:00 and stretch those 3 fights over 2 hours but I imagine the first 30 minutes of the prelims will be Brian Stann convincing you why Joe Soto is a real threat.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I thought this was the show where Cruz was returning.
Is there anything remotely good about 177?

Ruan Potts is about to fight. So it has that going for it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I would respect UFC much more if they spent this time hyping and promoting fights happening later this year.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

look at those empty seats

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

this fight was so close to being the co-main event of the evening.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fight of the century

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

boomp

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

let's show highlights from the Potts vs Hamilton fight

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

what the hell just happened

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

renan, why did you ruin everything?

Rogan's trying to make him cry

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Another year posted:

this is surreal

weight-cut interventions

Should have got Kenny for the weight cut intervention, Chael for the drug intervention, Joe for the :420: intervention

They really have all areas covered on the FOX desk.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

attackmole posted:

Pulling a number completely out of my rear end, I'd guess 10-15 pounds.

Cruz cuts about 15, I think Faber does too but he might be closer to 10.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Jim Dwyer posted:

I thought I read Faber walked around close to 155 or something but it was ages ago so I'd never be able to find the source

He does, so does Cruz and other BWs, but like bundt brought up in the other thread yesterday everybody has a different definition of "cut," some people mean the entire diet + draining fluid out of their bodies and some people mean the ~last week. The weights I posted were what those guys weigh about a week from the fight, but I think Cruz said he's got better about that since changing his diet from fast food to mostly healthy.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

holy gently caress :lol: at this first fight. and I like Yancy but jeeeeezus.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Chris James 2 posted:

This is already a bigger clusterfuck than 151

At least they got a good season of TUF out of 151. UFC 176 + UFC 177 has done nothing but piss off Team Alpha Males.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

WHERE ARE MY FEET?

CLOSE.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yancy Owns.

Just have Yancy fight everyone else, leading up to a title fight with TJ Dillashaw.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

MagicCube posted:

It's too bad Yancy can only talk in shout-outs.

hahahaha

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Nate Diaz in the corner of one fight, Jake Shields in another, a night of stars out in Sacramento.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Ramsey Nijem always does just well enough for some other upcoming lightweight to finish him and use him as a stepping stone. He's a gatekeeper of gatekeepers.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

drat Bethe knows how to throw down. If she had more KO power she'd be vicious

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Sphinxster posted:

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a standing TKO.

Nah there's been tons. Nate Daiz just finished Gray Maynard by standing TKO, for example.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The Sphinxster posted:

I don't think I've seen any Kampmann fights. Shameful.

Yeah you missed some of the best welterweight fights there have been. Kampmann vs Ellenberger, Kampmann vs Alves, Kampmann vs Sanchez, Kampmann vs Condit

drat I miss him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That was the best thing I've ever heard a coach yell, I think.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

it's gonna suck when Castillo wins a decision cause Ferguson has been doing all the damage and cool stuff.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Yep, that's about how I had it, but I never would have bet the judges would have got it right.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Hahaha Danny putting Joe on the spot there. He wouldn't have liked Joe's real answer.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Here's a fun stat: Tony has finished 4/7 UFC fights, 57% rate, while Danny Castillo has finished 2/11, 18% rate, but Tony is the guy who isn't looking for the finish.

Tony even had the better and classy interview.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

this is the most cody / chad fight i've seen since cody / chad

I want to preface this by saying TJ is really good and feasibly could take out Soto in second with one punch to the liver, but realistically Joe Soto should hang in there for a little while.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

I feel like I'm watching bully beatdown

Soto has already lasted longer than Cummins, Cody, and McCorkle combined so he's got that going for him.

I still think Soto will go on to do good things in UFC this fight is just gonna make him look way worse than he is.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Alright I'm officially amazed that Soto is doing as good as he is

His performances in Bellator were good before he ran into The Baddest Man on the Planet. Plus he was like 22 at the time so I think he got an unfair shake.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

TJ's output is awesome.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Marching Powder posted:

soto's slowing down a little but is still doing an amazing job. tj's output is unreal.

The cool thing about this fight is it proves to me and the world that had Barao made weight, he for sure would have been knocked out again cause TJ is looking as sharp as he did in the first match.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

loving awesome KO.

drat, two 5 round stops in a row. That's insane.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

That went perfectly for UFC considering all the other failures surrounding the event. Soto looked credible and TJ gets a great highlight reel finish

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNv1QLdXzIg

Dana probably going to be really defensive about this card so this might not be watchable

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Fifth round finishes are the best

The reason is because by the fifth round we've all mentally accepted that the fight is going the distance. Even in these last two TJ Dillashaw fights where he's beating the poo poo out of his opponent for 4 rounds straight, it's still unexpected. And then you have other 5th round stoppages like the Anderson/Chael one that make your mind explode.

GRBass posted:

I feel sean shelby will book something stupid like soto vs barao, but really barao with his record and history will always be a contender much like faber. I'd say book soto vs winner of cruz v mizugaki, if soto beats that winner, then do barao v soto for a title shot. Dillashaw should face Assunscao next so that should let some dust settle with contenders.

Nah setting Soto up for a rematch with TJ anytime soon again would be a waste of time. If Soto got knocked out in 30 seconds there would be an argument that he didn't have a fair fight, but over the 23 minutes of the fight you saw most of his skill and how it stood up to TJ. Not bad, but not outstanding or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Assuncao is fighting Caraway in October, even if he wins (which he should) I have a feeling they'll give Cruz the shot if he beats Mizugaki.

which they should. I know Cruz hasn't fought in 20 years and is corny as all hell, but he also never lost the belt and Mizugaki is a solid win.

Basically Cruz vs Dillashaw erases the entire Renan Barao reign from 2011 to 2014 as one weird period of Too Many Urijah Faber Title Shots.

• Locked thread